How do we "know" so much about God?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (48 posts)
  1. profile image51
    Rabgixposted 12 years ago

God dislikes homosexuals. God doesn't want you to work on Sunday. God doesn't want you to touch or eat pigs. God doesn't want you to lie. God doesn't want us to blend fabrics.

Seriously? Assuming this all powerful transcendental being exists, why would he be considered with such trivial matters? How could you even describe God with human words or interpretation?

Would you really take a man's word for it for what God wants? We live in an unfathomably vast universe, I don't see why we consider ourselves so important. Assuming God exists of course.

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your last line says it all. smile

2. Abundant old soul profile image79
      Abundant old soulposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are nossing the point. Religion is from man and god is from.... God is love. Religion is corupt and vile, for the most part. Anyone who says they know what god wants is a fool. I can only hope that I go where he/she guides me.

1. profile image51
        Rabgixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How do you know "God" is love? Is love not a human emotion and reaction? God isn't human, assuming he exists.

3. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It actually gets worse. If that is even possible. I had a Muslim gentleman here on hub pages tell me Allah tells them what to do between sex and the mosque.

I mean, seriously. The religious think there's this powerful being that made all of creation, and then he's going to nit pick and make hoops for us all to jump through? I don't get it.

4. allpurposeguru profile image74
      allpurposeguruposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People who know God know him through his revelation of himself. He reveals himself in nature to anyone willing to pay attention. He reveals himself through Scripture. He reveals himself through communication with anyone willing to listen--and discern the difference between God's thoughts and his own. By the way, God is love, and the human emotion is at best a reflection and at worst a cheap imitation. Oh, and God became human in the person of Jesus Christ. There is more historical evidence for the resurrection of Jesus from the dead than there is for the existence of Socrates!

I searched diligently to find one grain of verifiable fact in here, but failed miserably.
        Not one word of that was true. lol

2. Cagsil profile image72
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would love for you to tell that to others who have watched a non-believing mother who sacrificed her life for her child? That her love was a cheap imitation. Oh please...

Where do you people come from?
        Untrue and not provable outside of religion.
        Untrue again. But, nice try.

3. profile image51

LOL I'm sorry that's all I can say.

1. Cagsil profile image72

I saw the above response coming. lol lol

4. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All true.  smile

Yep, it's TRUE BS. lol

1. profile image0
            Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure you mean BS as in Basic Scripture.  wink

1. profile image0

That odd. I took it to mean BS, like bull dust. As ernest says.

Sometimes ya gotta go long hand. smile

See, someone who knows truth when she sees it. lol

And, I'm sure you know what I meant. tongue

It's pure unadulterated Bull****! And, nothing but. smile

5. profile image0
      Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

John 3:16  For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Okay, I'll ask you the same question I asked someone else......what god? lol

1. profile image0
          Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You ask a question to which you already know the answer?

You're right. There's no god, so any explanation you could possibly come up with would be a complete figment of your own imagination.

2. jtyler profile image60
    jtylerposted 12 years ago

I believe that the writers of the bible mixed in their own views and beliefs.  It would be impossible to completely make an unbiased account of different stories, especially at that time, but I believe some of the writers intentionally put some of the beliefs, facts, or even whole stories in the bible to make a point.

3. two4god07 profile image59
    two4god07posted 12 years ago

The problem with the original post is that it's errored. God never said He didn't like homosexuals. He said He didn't like the act of homosexuality. He in fact loves the person He created, but hates the sin the devil tempted him into.

He never said don't work on Sunday. He said to set aside a day to spend time with Him. Your wife and family needs family time to form a relationship. God wants to have a relationship with us. How can He is we don't spend time with Him?

The other things listed are not commands. There were only ten commandments. And they were given, not because God expected us to follow them perfectly, but because God wanted us to see that we couldn't do it by ourselves. We needed a savior. We will never be perfect, thus, someone perfect came for us.

As for eating pigs.. in the new testament.. Paul clearly states that it is not what you put in your belly that defiles a man but what comes from your mouth.

Did you know that there are more promises in the Bible than there are guidelines?

People look at the Bible and see it as a big bunch of "You can't do this this or this" When it is actually a bunch of God saying "I will give you this, this, and so much more"

1. profile image51

As long as people stand by the idea that God condemns homosexuality or homosexual acts I will never seen Christianity as credible.

And lol @ Devil tempting people. Mighty convenient isn't it?

I've only one question and I'm pretty sure you've heard it......what god? lol

4. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."  (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)
    I suppose this is quoted "out of context," or means "god loves homosexuals" then?

5. two4god07 profile image59
    two4god07posted 12 years ago

Not out of context at that time, but add in the New Testament, and then it becomes out of context.

You see, at the time, people didn't have access to a savior.

Let's look at the whole story.

When God created Adam and Eve, they were eternal. They didn't know right from wrong, so therefore, didn't sin. They did the one thing God told them not to do. They disobeyed, and brought sin into the world. At the same time, bringing death.

Sin separates us from God. There was no way to reach Him. And all through the Old Testament, we see people trying to reach God, but failing. Take the tower of Babel for example. They were trying to build it all the way to the heavens to be with God.

Jesus came, lived 33 perfect years on earth, and died taking all our sins into Him. He was dead for three days.

During that time, He was sharing the gospel message with everyone that came before that did not get a chance to hear it. This includes those homosexuals in Leviticus. They had the chance to receive Jesus as their Lord and savior, and make Heaven.

Jesus loved them so much, that He reached down into the pit of darkness to give them that chance.

In the OT... we didn't have a savior. Only the consequences of our sin. "For the wages of sin is death..."

In the NT we have a choice.. "But the gift of God is eternal life"

1. Captain Redbeard profile image61
      Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would like for you to see th forum topic I posted under "Jesus and his teachings" called Jesus' death and see what you have to say. I like your passion and patience.

2. profile image51

So Adam and Eve didn't sin yet they were cast out and because of their unfair punishment we all get fucked? Sounds fair.

Also, being gay isn't a choice and asking a gay person not to act on their nature is like asking a straight person not to. Unfair isn't it?

So someone attracted to kids or dead people shouldn't be denyed their natural born attractions?

I'm sorry all I can do is lol lol lol lol lol

Because, I saw that coming. lol

2. profile image51

I'm glad you took the bait.

Homosexuality is a sexual orientation, not a paraphilia. Furthermore, necrophilia and pedophilia are not "natural born." In fact, according to various studies and psychological evaluation, necrophiliac brains and pedophile brains have defects. Usually these defects are caused by head injury or some kind of psychological trauma.

Even with the scientific evidence aside, let's be logical here. A homosexual person in a homosexual relationship with a consenting adult is not comparable at all to someone having sex with a dead body or a child. Neither a dead body or a child can fight back, so your argument is fallacious in every aspect.

Anything else?

Yeah, to say you can prove why someone is attracted to someone or something else is BS. Attractions change in every person in various stages of their lives and to say that it is this way because of x,y,z is arrogent. Surely not every person to ever want to copulate with a horse, corpse, child or any other such variation of sexual attration has been tested. There is no absolute in life except death, hunger and knowledgefull pride.......arrogance does not become you sir.

Besides that ther are plenty of kids that would gladly go into a relationship with an adult, you see if all the time on the news. Not every pedofile is raping a kid.

1. profile image51

Broadening your arguments because you can't prove them specifically is a weak form of debating. But i'm assuming you're religious so i'm not surprised.

No, its not BS. Would you like links? I could also provide you with the DSM-IV if you'd like. The evidence for it is all there. You are familiar with evidence correct?

Also claiming that there is no absolute in life and then listing exceptions is a logical fallacy. Try again.

Lastly, that's up to interpretation about the age of accountability. But we can almost all agree that a child under the age of 13 or maybe 14 doesn't know what they really want. Be logical. Even if a child claims to want to be in a "relationship" with an adult, the fault isn't with the child, its with the adult.

Moving on...

Being that I was speaking about 13 year olds and 14 year olds you made my point. And I would like those links as far as my belief system goes, you got no idea where my head is. Still sir.....Arrogance looks ugly on you.

1. profile image51

Like I said...that's an interpretation of the age of accountability. When people think of pedophiles we think of children under that age...

Ok, linkage:

http://www.forensicpsychiatry.ca/paraphilia/necro.htm

http://www.minddisorders.com/Ob-Ps/Paraphilias.html

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/seri … cro_4.html

2. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're right - not every pedophile is raping a kid.  Only the ones having any kind of sex with a child.

No argument, poor choice of words on my part.

6. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

How do we "know" so much about God?

We know about the Creator God from the Word revealed by Him on the Messengers Prophets; His attributes are also manifest in the nature if trutly understood.

1. profile image51

Those "prophets" lived over 2 millenia ago and if they had lived today people would have them committed to a mental institution.

Furthermore, the Karade religion in Africa doesn't technically understand your God's manifestation in Africa. They believed in ancestral energies and heightened awareness. Are they wrong? Or is your God right?

7. profile image0
    Wentworth35posted 12 years ago

People who claim to talk for God are really only talking for themselves.  They have certain points of view, which in this day and age would otherwise be considered bigoted or hateful.  If however, they claim that their views are not their own, but God's, they hope to put an end to all argument, because who but the most wicked could ever disagree with God?  If there is such a thing as a God, then no one has ever seen it or heard it or been aware of it in anyway.  To therefore claim to know the thoughts of such a being is claiming far too much.

8. joseph merlin profile image40
    joseph merlinposted 12 years ago

Simply Google Zakir Naik he have every information about this

1. profile image0

Well, I googled him. And my response is......?????

What does an islamic televangelist have to do with the answer of why people think they know the mind of God? He sounds to be one more symptom of the problem.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)