I learned a new word today "Nickers"

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

Have you ever heard of these? I have not untill today. I learn something new everyday...lol What color are yours?

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

OMG I ment knickers

1. SimeyC profile image90
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL yep - being British I know 'knickers' well! There is even a fabulous icecream desert called the 'knicker-bocker-glory'

1. recommend1 profile image60
          recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Which of course is German big_smile

Shhhh don't tell my Kids that - I told them it was invented in Britain!

2. IzzyM profile image85
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Did you get one of those phone calls then?

2. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Better to lose the 'k' from them than the elastic smile

3. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

Did you not have the kid's taunt - "liar, liar, knickers on fire",  and for a guy getting too angry and behaving like an emotional woman "keep your knickers on, love"   ??

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

or, don't get your knickers in a twist!

2. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's "liar, liar, pants on fire" in the US.

I have heard "keep your knickers on" and "don't get your knickers in a twist" but possibly only from British tv/movies. I watch quite a few of them. smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

If one is pro snickers, does that make one anti knickers?

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No.  A pro's knickers are made of asbestos.

5. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

And of course, knickerbockers are another garment altogether - like long shorts (or short trousers).
    Anyone remember the pop song "Leap up and down Wave your knickers in the air"? Was it Jonathon someone sang it? The guy was big at the time producing music for others.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image59
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't remember that song. But d'you remember when Tom Jones fans used to throw their knickers on the stage?

My claim to fame - Tom Jones was born in a town 5 miles from where I lived in Wales - his mum lived 5 doors down from me. Tom Jones used to frequent our local pub and occasionally brought Shirley Bassey with him.

He is a down to earth guy and very humble - when he was in the pub he used to joke with us about his collection of Knickers!

1. billabongbob profile image66
          billabongbobposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've met them to lol. I used to drink in Pontpridd from time to time, as I live in Caerphilly lol.

A small world init?? lol

I used to frequent many a pub in Caerphilly in my youth! I was over 18 honest! LOL

As for Ponty - well as a life long Ponty rugby fan I simply had to test the beer in all the pubs in Ponty....

...can't remember the name now, but I always ended up playing darts in the pub right by the old bridge!!!

1. billabongbob profile image66
              billabongbobposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I too was over 18, honestly :S, but that's a loooooong time ago lol

How long ago did you leave South Wales? Maybe we've been in the same pubs at the same time tongue tongue lol

30 years - was in the pubs from about 1983 to 1995

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

kmackey32,

You probably also didn't realize also that thongs in Australia are worn on the feet, not the other type similar to knickers lol

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thongs can be a type of shoes in the US, too. I think it depends on region. Out of curiosity, do you have a separate name for the underwear type?

7. Hollie Thomas profile image59
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

Actually, we use the term toe thongs in the UK.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

THAT just opens up a whole lot of other conjecture and commentary lol

8. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I found it - forgot how BAD it was!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnb0Fn1_iDc

9. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Australian Advert on TV in 1985 for a brand known as Holeproof (Which are still around these days)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE-bwymS … re=related

10. ubanichijioke profile image74
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

I am having fun with you guys and my knickers are dancing along! Lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)