Sent to me from a Teacher friend of mine. ( FREE LUNCH )

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. OLYHOOCH profile image62
    OLYHOOCHposted 12 years ago

I wish I could verify this but even if the teacher did not write the letter, as a teacher myself, I find that much of this is true as I see it.

Read this to the end, and it will make you sick !!

900 teachers just got laid off from the Los Angeles Unified School District . They are $650,000 over their annual budget.
    The following English teacher helps to explain one area that looms large over California 's educational crisis.

THIS HAS GOT TO BE PASSED ALONG TO AS MANY AS

POSSIBLE OR WE WILL ALL GO DOWN THE DRAIN BECAUSE A FEW DON'T CARE.

This English teacher has phrased it the best I've seen yet .

This should make everyone think , be you Democrat, Republican or Independent

From a California school teacher - - -
    "As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you should be aware of:

I am in charge of the English-as-a-second-language department at a large southern California high school which is designated a Title 1 school, meaning that its students average lower socioeconomic and income levels

Most of the schools you are hearing about, South Gate High, Bell Gardens , Huntington Park , etc... where these students are protesting, are also Title 1 schools.

Title 1 schools are on the free breakfast and free lunch program.When I say free breakfast, I'm not talking a glass of milk and roll -- but a full breakfast and cereal bar with fruits and juices that would make a Marriott proud. The waste of this food is monumental, with trays and trays of it being dumped in the trash uneaten.

( OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I estimate that well over 50% of these students are obese or at least moderately overweight. About 75% or more DO have cell phones .

The school also provides day care centers for the unwed teenage pregnant girls (some as young as 13) so they can attend class without the inconvenience of having to arrange for babysitters or having family watch their kids.

( OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I was ordered to spend $700,000 on my department or risk losing

funding for the upcoming year even though there was little need for anything; my budget was already substantial. I ended up buying new computers for the computer learning center, half of which, one month later, have been carved with graffiti by the appreciative students who obviously feel humbled and grateful to have a free education in America .
    (OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK)

I have had to intervene several times for young and substitute teachers whose classes consist of many illegal immigrant students here in the country less than 3 months who raised so much hell with the female teachers, calling them "Putas" (whores ) and throwing things , that the teachers were in tears.

Free medical, free education, free food, day care, etc, etc, etc. Is it any wonder they feel entitled not only to be in this country but to demand rights, privileges and entitlements?

To those who want to point out how much these illegal immigrants contribute to our society because they LIKE their gardener and housekeeper and they like to pay less for tomatoes: spend some time in the real world of illegal immigration and see the TRUE costs.

Higher insurance, medical facilities closing, higher medical costs, more crime, lower standards of education in our schools, overcrowding, new diseases etc., etc, etc. For me, I'll pay more for tomatoes.

Americans, We need to wake up. The guest worker program will be a disaster because we won't have the guts to enforce it . Does anyone in their right mind really think they will voluntarily leave and return?

It does, however, have everything to do with culture: A third-world culture that does not value education, that accepts children getting pregnant and dropping out of school by 15 and that refuses to assimilate, and an American culture that has become so weak and worried about " political correctness " that we don't have the will to do anything about it.

If this makes your blood boil , as it did mine, forward this to everyone you know including your Congressmen and Senators.

CHEAP LABOR? Isn't that what the whole immigration issue is about?

Business doesn't want to pay a decent wage.

Consumers don't want expensive produce.

Government will tell you Americans don't want the jobs.

But the bottom line is cheap labor. The phrase "cheap labor" is a myth, a farce, and a lie. There is no such thing as "cheap labor."

Take, for example, an illegal alien with a wife and five children. He takes a job for $5.00 or 6.00/hour. At that wage, with six dependents,he pays no income tax, yet at the end of the year, if he files an Income Tax Return, he gets an " earned income credit" of up to $3,200 free.

He qualifies for Section 8 housing and subsidized rent .

He qualifies for food stamps.

He qualifies for free (no deductible), (no co-pay) health care.

His children get free breakfasts and lunches at school.

He requires bilingual teachers and books.

He qualifies for relief from high energy bills...

If they are or become, aged, blind or disabled , they qualify for SSI.

Once qualified for SSI they can qualify for Medicare . All of this is at (our) taxpayer's expense .

He doesn't worry about car insurance, life insurance, or homeowners insurance.

Taxpayers provide Spanish language signs, bulletins and printed material.

He and his family receive the equivalent of $20.00 to $30.00/hour in benefits.

Working Americans are lucky to have $5.00 or $6.00/hour left after paying their bills AND his.

The American taxpayers also pay for increased crime, graffiti and trash clean-up.

Cheap labor? YEAH RIGHT! Wake up people!

THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS WE SHOULD BE ADDRESSING TO THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES FOR EITHER PARTY. 'AND WHEN THEY LIE TO US AND DON'T DO AS THEY SAY, WE SHOULD REPLACE THEM AT ONCE!'
    THIS HAS GOT TO BE PASSED ALONG TO AS MANY AS POSSIBLE OR WE WILL ALL GO DOWN THE DRAIN BECAUSE A FEW DON'T CARE!

OLY

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OLY, I agree with you up to a point. I also teach in a Title I school located in the worst Miami neighborhood. 98% of the students are African American and it's the exact same story that the California teacher described. They get everything for free, which I can understand because they are kids and they need to be looked after, it's not their fault that their parents are drug addicts and prostitutes. But the problem with this is that the only way to get the parents to assume responsibility for their children is to cut the gvt programs that ALLOW them to continue living for free.
      At 7am as I drive to work all I see a bunch of thugs, either drunk or high, walking down the streets. They are the same characters (the few that do since most kids go home in a free bus or walk home) that come to get their kids after school while the hallway gets a strong scent of marihuana.
      It's true that most of these kids only get the meal that is given to them in school. But it's also true that they don't respect and don't take care of anything. In my opinion, schools and the dpt of children and families need to address this problem more aggressively. They ignore it for the most part.
      I, for one, can honestly say that even though the majority of students don't care about learning a thing, there are those kids that do want to learn and are not getting serviced because the system does not allow the exclusion of the troublemakers. I send them to the office and they get sent back, breaking every rule of the contract, and nothing gets done. So most of the time, I have no choice but to sit down, twirl my thumbs for an hour and call security when they start killing each other. It's that bad. It's that sad.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm REALLY starting to appreciate our schools and our students!! Our discipline policies are pretty strict. Chronic trouble-makers are sent to an alternative school. Our student body is about 40-45% African American, but I'm not sure about the number of Hispanics. We rarely have drugs in school, partly because the drug-sniffing dogs make regular unannounced rounds through the halls.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Um so the ones in charge (of the funding) etc are too stupid and administer ALL this free stuff to 'Illegal' people?

See ,do you blame the dogs for eating the food ,or the people who place it there...

Looks like the dogs are smarter (IMO)

I dont think addressing the Candidates will do any good ,they already know ,because they(Their parties and cronies) approve it in the first place!

What I would like to know is how the hell does one register their child in any school ,hospital or anywhere without Legitimate ID?....once again ,who are the smart ones again.

1. profile image0

It is illegal to deny education to any child in the US. If they're not in school they're going to be either begging for food in the corner or stealing cars. They're better off in school regardless.

The parents need to lose custody of these children because in these cases they ARE NOT better at home than somewhere else. Once the apple has become rotten and the disrespect and lack of interest seems to be irreparable then they need to be placed in juvi where they'll learn that you either reform or you stay inside for good. Effective measures that deal with the problem, that's what we need. They need to stop looking away and thinking that PROVIDING and ALLOWING is the way to help them overcome their own misery.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
          Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If it is legal to accept ANY illegal Immigrant into USA schools ,then why are they denied at College level,and often ordered deportation?,because they do not have residence and/or citizenship. Rightfully so.

I do not agree with some Immigration policies ,most in administration,but if a nation has eligibilty and non-eligibilty then all I say is do it right.

Trust me its tedious ,but if one has patience,te necessary fees and documents ,it works out fine -for everybody ie meaning one is legal and able to contribute back into the system ,be it education ,medical or employment.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

You kind of lost me on the suggesting that a creche to help teen mothers stay in school is a waste of money. Educated people save the government money in the long run, and not every teen mom could get a babysitter no matter how hard they try.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Educated illegal aliens do not save the government money.

It is one thing to provide services (creche) to help the citizens of this country educate themselves, it is quite another to pick of the costs for such services for an alien that has entered this country illegally and demands the same service.

3. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 12 years ago

Yawn.

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

This is unfortunately all too common any more, and California is one of the worst offenders.  Not only do the people insist on hiring illegal aliens, but the state cooperates by actively welcoming them.

Until the American public understands the true costs of trying to support millions of third world citizens at American standards of living they will continue to do just that. 

We all want to help the more unfortunate among us, but with so much misinformation being given every day few people seem to understand just what it is costing them.  Only when their own standard of living has been lowered to the common denominator will they find the truth of the situation and by then it will be too late.

We cannot clothe, house and feed the world; it's that simple.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Well, I think that so long as they are going to be a tolerated population, educated illegals do save the nation money.  Higher education is associated with higher incomes, lower crime, better health and lower birth rates beginning at a later age.

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Oly, I'll respond, based on my experiences as a high school teacher in GA:

I've written several rants on these forums about the waste in school cafeterias - not just from free lunches and breakfasts. This really needs to be addressed. Did you know they can't even donate the leftover food to animal shelters?? In general, I support the free lunch program. For many of our students, it's the only hot meal they get every day. It also helps support American farmers.

We also have many immigrants here, and we have an ESOL program. I've taught many immigrant students from Mexico, and for the most part, they've all been great. As a matter of fact, in all my years of teaching, I've had trouble from only one immigrant student. I remember when we were collecting canned foods for Katrina victims, my Mexican students went to the local immigrant community to ask for help, and they brought cases and cases of canned goods to our school for the food drive. I saw the same thing occur any time we had food drives for victims of other disasters.

Based on my experience, the immigrant farm workers from Mexico are some of the most generous, humble, easy going people I've ever known. My best friend and I "adopted" such a family for Christmas a couple of years ago. There was a mom, a dad, and 10 kids. The thank-you letter we received from the father brought tears to my eyes. They were EXTREMELY appreciative!

So...it sounds like I'm all for illegal immigration, doesn't it? I'm not. I feel sorry for the immigrants in our area. Many are abused because they're afraid of being discovered. Some employers use that threat as a weapon. I'm against illegal immigration, but I'm all for legal immigration, and I think the U.S. needs to make the path to legal citizenship easier.

On schools and money, it's been shown time and time again that simply "throwing money" at a school system doesn't improve schools. Most teachers in our state are underpaid, while some coaches and administrators are overpaid. Also, our students are a lot different than the ones you describe. When we were in an old building, we had problems with graffiti and other types of vandalism. When we moved into our beautiful new building, however, the kids were so proud of it that the graffiti completely stopped!

I'm with you on most of this, Habee (although the idea that a good reason to give away food is that it helps the farmers raised an eyebrow!).

However, although I believe that immigration (there is no such thing as "illegal immigration" although there are "illegal aliens") needs to be limited to those that can and will take care of themselves.  Sure, a handful of exceptions each year for asylum and such, but the endless wave of immigrants that require we feed, house and clothe them must stop.

1. profile image0

I think help needs to be provided for a reasonable period of time. If the person does not have means of income then they need to be sent back.

I am an immigrant myself. I came to the US with my mother when I was only fifteen years old. We received foodstamps and a small check in the mail for about six months, by then my mother had gotten a job and I had a part time job while attending high school. We could have extended our funding but we didn't. These gvt programs are there to be used when necessary and the problem is that people (immigrants or not) take advantage and abuse them.

1. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. Government assistance like food stamps, Welfare, heating allowances, etc. should be temporary for those who are able to work. We need to find a way to help these people prepare for the work force.

1. profile image0

It's called TOUGH LOVE habee. You get six months, if you haven't figured it out by then, you go back! hmm

7. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

It is amazing how technologically advanced our court houses are these days.

The last time I served jury duty, there were big-screen computer monitors plastered all over the hallways and common areas listing all the defendants.

90% of them had Spanish surnames.

1. profile image0

Same thing here, we've got a lot of immigrant students that come from wonderful families, respectful, and eager to learn. And then you have caucasian kids that come from neighborhoods that are just as bad as the black neighborhood where I teach. I think we need to look at the problem beyond racial connotations. Subcultures rise easily in any particular neighborhood and they come with their own little or big problems. A Mexican gang is as dangerous as a gang of blacks or a gang of skinheads. And it sounds to me like that California teacher is working in a Mexican gang territory, of course, the kids he's going to teach are not going to be little angels. Just look at where they come from and you'll see what they'll become if no effective measures are taken to prevent this from happening.

The problem here associated with illegal aliens is that they are almost guaranteed to congregate in s small area, just as you say.  Coupled with poverty (almost a prerequisite for being an illegal alien) it is a sure fired way to end up with crime and gangs.  Thus the feeling that illegal aliens bring these things with them; in a way they most certainly do.

It is not about race; it is about poverty, living outside the law and maintaining a strong group mentality that is different from surrounding society.

1. profile image0

wilderness, I live in Miami which is mostly hispanic and I can tell you that those that want to get ahead in life, find a way to do it. There is no need to conglomerate in one neighborhood where survival means becoming an anarchist. There are several reasons as to why outsiders (although it happens with black Americans often as well) build a subculture where poverty and crime is part of everyday life. They either have that mentality to begin with because that's the only life they've ever known, or they don't feel accepted by the rest of the community and they stick together in numbers to help each other out (survival mode technique).
          Like I said, this is not limited to immigrants. I see it in the neighborhood where I work and it's an African American population.

No, it is certainly not limited to immigrants.  As you point out, there are large areas in most large cities that are nearly 100% black.  Or Chinese or Bosnian or whatever. 

Partly it is because people generally prefer to be around "their own kind" but there are other reasons as well.

In the case of the illegal immigrant, however, it is because it is often the only choice available.  They can't afford other neighborhoods, and they can be fairly sure that their neighbors not only won't report them but will help them if the law comes.  The illegal alien may want to get ahead, but that often merely means being better off than they were in their country of citizenship, plus of course they are always looking over their shoulder.

8. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

On a side note let me share this little story ,and I relise it is by no means across the board ,but it is does never the less show an attitude out there:

About a year ago, when I was applying for the last of my U.S Residency there was a page on general US History, where was the Declaration Of Independance signed ,current President ,that kinda thing. Well across the hall from my apartment lived another foreign girl going through a similar procedure (I think) . Her English was not too good ,so I offered to help and suggested hey lets do it together...short study refresh etc ...
    She laughed and said "Nooooooo, I live in America, but I know wanna be Americano, I do not like Americano's" ahahahaha...

I replied naively "But you put your kids on the school bus ,and get help to buy a car ,who pays for all of this"?
    She thought I was loco, I thought she was acting like a parasite,so that was my point way back there.

It appears to much to easy to exploit a system.

And its no use closing the barn door ,after the horse has bolted!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)