Shameful, selfish hub promotion!

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (48 posts)
  1. RKHenry profile image63
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

I wished hubpages had a category like this on the forums.  The shameless self promotion category.  That way if we've been gone awhile, or have a hub that needs a little press to drive more traffic to it- we could just post it here.  It could also be a place for shameless announcements.  Like the one I'm about to make;

I saw Angels and Demons this weekend.  I loved it!  Check out my hub <snipped>

Got any shameless promotion to share?

1. wittywriter profile image60
      wittywriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is not shameful. I love to hear when someone has posted a hub. Congrats on another hub. I will check it out soon.

RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So do I.  Thanks for you comment.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
          pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Every new hub right here for your enjoyment. smile

2. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 14 years ago

Haha, that's awesome.  Don't have any self promotion to share myself though sad

3. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

haha, yeah...go read my hubs!  LOL big_smile

4. Princess Kari profile image61
    Princess Kariposted 14 years ago

um

5. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I used to sell on a site called Etsy and they had one forum dedicated exclusively to self-promotion. I honestly think it helped clear out all the self-promotion out of the other forums; it was virtually eliminated. Of course posts on the self-promotion forum moved so fast you couldn't keep up with them, but the point was to get all of it into one location.

It's not a bad idea and I'd support it. Not saying I'd use it, but it does give people a place to do so without annoying everyone else! wink

Yeah!  I totally agree with you. Other than I'd use it.

6. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Actually, if y'all read the destructions, we have one here:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/23

lol

Yeah, that's not what I'm thinking.  That's for help.  This is for hub press releases, updates and postings.

2. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a no follow. No pagerank help with that. But it would be nice to have a do follow promotion forum just for hubs.

Don't hold your breath. smile

1. bgamall profile image68

Paul I am glad you posted that. I was starting to turn blue!

7. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I'm not above a little shameless promotion.  I am serializing my novel Champions of Redland; I think it is a unique mixture of real life drama and sword and socery.  Check out the first chapter at <snipped>.  There four chatpers available and more coming.

8. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Doomsday Predictions:

<snipped>

Yep, that felt good! wink

9. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

While it might be nice to have all the promotional posts in one place, we'd really prefer not have them in the forums at all.  There are many ways for people that are interested to find out that you've created a new hub -- 1) they can become your fan, 2) they can look on your profile page, 3) they can discover it in their hubtivity, 4) you can post it to facebook or twitter, etc.

There is a reason that we display this warning every time you make a forum post.

I think it's a shame.  Seems to work perfectly for blogcatalog.com.  But hey- can't say that I agree with this rule and see no justification for closing Hubpage accounts over it.  Your Hubpage spirit is a drag and did nothing but ticked people off.  Hows that for Forum spirit?  Unbelievable!mad

They may not enforce their rules the same, but it looks to me like the blog catalog rules are very similar to the HubPages forum rules.  We are committed to keeping the forums here as a place for discussion, not promotion.

I disagree;
          # Categories

* All
              * BlogCatalog Questions
              * Blogging Help
              * General Discussion
              * Making Money
              * Shameless Blog Promotion

www.blogcatalog.com  It's right there under categories.   But your rules are your rules, until your hub mob forces you to change or Adsense does.  You're just like any business- you have to answer to someone just like we do.  They do have a point about the hubnuggets and hub mob stuff.  There is no difference.  Promotion is promotion.  And YOU use the forums to do it.

10. HubPolice profile image57
    HubPoliceposted 14 years ago

Not a whole lot of snipping going on within the Hub-Challenge threads, I guess there's a lot of money being made in there. wink

Rules are rules, unless the breaking of them increases HP Adsense revenue?

In general, we only review a thread if someone in the community reports it.  In a typical month we remove about 1 out of every 100 posts (mostly blatant spam), and snip links out of about 1 out of every 1000.

We certainly don't read every post and I'm sure there are both things that we miss and situations that we misjudge.  There are a lot of things we'd all rather be doing than policing the forums.

The HubChallenge may help us and the authors participating make a little more money -- but forum threads about it certainly aren't going to move the needle much.  If you see a post that violates the rules, by all means report it.

11. Pete Maida profile image59

I find the whole thing amusing.

12. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Hubpages has the right to set their guidelines and I have no problem with what Paul is saying.  Ehow has informed members they will not be able to delete comments on their articles, even though some of us would like to be able too.  Personally I am happy with Hubpages, and I think it is much more user friendly than many of the other sites out there.

Will good for you.lol

1. SweetiePie profile image81
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure why you have to put it that way, but okay.

13. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

It sounds like you only want people to comment that agree with you 100% lol.

Lol! SweetiePie, I am just in a such good mood...LOL! I am shamefully happy....LOL! Good news everywhere. <being silly
      I think the cold medicine is really kicking in. smile

14. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Hey, RK, lol

How are ya?  Done with finals?  smile

You know, just between you, me, and whoever else reads this, there are indirect ways of marketing yourself--even in the forums--that probably work just as well, if not better, than direct links.

Lessee if you can think of some!

oh, also, I'm just asking, cuz I'm curious--what's your opinion of uniforms?

15. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Well seeing as everyone else is offering their opinion on this here's mine:

<snipped>

Glad I got that off my chest, I feel much better now! smile

LOL!

16. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 14 years ago

I used to be uncircumcised, but then I got <snipped>.

This is funny. I think you can be snipped on this forum and still be uncircumcised. I really do.

1. Fishin' Cricket profile image68
        Fishin' Cricketposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Trust me, it is definitely possible...  wink

Well that was a lot of information!!!

17. Nanny J.O.A.T. profile image68
    Nanny J.O.A.T.posted 14 years ago

Read Me! Read Me!

Ummm please read me?

Helloooo? pretty please?

Pretty Pretty Please?

With Sugar on Top?

<Note: No snips were harmed in the shameless self promotion of my hubs>

For more information on our views and policies against unlawful internet snipping please go to NOMOSNIPS.org - The information could change your life - donations always welcome!!!

HEE HEE HEE - sorry couldn't resist!!!

Isn't there a Wesley Snips?

2. wittywriter profile image60

lol!

18. WeddingConsultant profile image66
    WeddingConsultantposted 14 years ago

The title of this thread should be renamed "hair salon- get your free snips here"

19. Pete Maida profile image59

You can post umpteen links on the challenge topic but here I get my link deleted.  I guess it is just a matter of whose interest it is in.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is in all our interests that you are discouraged from adding a post merely to tell us about the latest thrilling installment in your book. wink Just imagine if 10,000 posts a day were like that. It would be a waste of time and the forums would be useless.

Mark, www.blogcatalog.com forums work just fine.  Better in fact than this one and a lot of others.  Your case is without merit.  Having a shameless hub promoting forum catalog would not take away for the other categories.  And if you simply wanted nothing to do it- it's real easy.  Don't click on it.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK. I give in . I will start dropping links to all my hubs there. Thank you. I will let everyone I know that leaving links there is OK.

Cheers. Should  be great. big_smile

20. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

Quoting BristolBoy from another forum:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/14575

So seems like it's not against the word of law.

21. Pete Maida profile image59

I agree with the reason of why it shouldn't done.  What I don't agree with is the powers that be breaking their own rules when it suits them.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No...some threads are started specifically where you can post links to. People can avoid those threads if they are annoyed by links to hubs. What others object to is seeing a bunch of new threads saying to look at my new hub or links to hubs in totally unrelated threads.

I have gotten on fine for 15 months without having to post links to my new hubs in the forums.

22. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Well said Uninvited Writer. Don't break something that isn't broken. Google indexes our hubs quite quickly and they rank well.

23. Pete Maida profile image59

The one time I tried to post here.  This was the one and only time I tried posting one outside of the challenge and that was only because I got the wrong idea.  I do not and would not make a habit of posting links in the forum.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)