Strategies for getting four 5 year-olds to dress themselves?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5647531_f248.jpg
    I am looking after my daughter and her three friends for the afternoon, and taking them to another friend's party.  We will be in a big hurry as the party is just after school.  So I will need them to change into their party clothes extra-quick! 

From previous experience these children would rather play, jump around and mess about than get dressed.  I have had reasonable success with the rule "you don't get any cake until you are dressed", but this time they will be eating at the party!

What would you do?

2. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 12 years ago

(...Besides yelling).  Suggestions of getting-dressed games and that kind of thing most welcome!

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

At that age you must make the experience a game that achieves the desired result.

big_smile  Try 'Reverse Strip Poker' where all red 3s, 7s, 10s mean that when they are turned up... it is compulsory that do a dressing task.  Or ask them and use their own favorite numbers and have a prize.

sad  The downside of this is that they will like this so much that they'll show a lot of interest in your wardrobe... especially your shoes and makeup!  big_smile

Moon Daisyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Pearldiver, I agree things have to be fun for this age-group, otherwise they have zero appeal!  And that sounds like a very innovative game.  I might try that one when we have a bit more time. 

I'm going to be looking after those children again, taking them to classes after school, so I will probably use several of these suggestions!

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Well, with that age group I always found that a race of sorts motivated. Any task they didn't want to do, I'd bet them I could count to a certain number before they could finish. I always suggested a low number, let them negotiate a better number, and then we'd start.

Great suggestion Emile R, thanks.  I did get them to race to get ready, and it worked well.  (Although one child had a clear advantage as she had fewer clothes to put on!)

I will probably try the counting to a certain number next time I look after all these kids.  Counting is an excellent motivator.  I count to see how long it takes my daughter to brush her teeth, and she loves it (and is faster!)  She now wants me to time her for everything.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I'd probably do one of the following:

Either have a separate (and uninteresting) place for each child to go to, hand them their stack of clothes and say, "Go there, and put these on as quickly as you can, because we need to get to the party as soon as possible." (Leaving more than one five-year-old in the same room with a bunch of clothes, and hoping they get dressed quickly, probably won't cut it.)

Or, I'd tell them all we had to get to the party quickly; so we were going to see who could get dressed the most quickly.  I'd then have them all line up, and tell them we were going to have a race to see who could dressed the fastest.  I'd whip out the shirts and hand them to each kid, keep telling them how great each of them was doing with their "race", and keep feeding the clothing items to them as each kid finished with each piece.  I'd keep saying stuff like, "Wow, what a race team you all make."  (Five-year-olds aren't likely to really separate the the difference between "racing each other" (and competing) and "being a race team".  They know a race involves speed, and that's kind of it. 

Or else, I'd get the clothes all ready ahead of time and in one place and in piles.  I'd tell the kids "we" needed to be "speed dressers", so get in line.  Then I'd just pop the shirts, dresses and/or pants on each kid as quickly as possible.  From what I've heard, even fashion models have people assist with getting some clothing on in the interest of time.  It wouldn't mean "making a baby out of" a five-year-old just in the one instance of needing to be as fast as possible. I'd have them get in line for a hair-combing (and the adding of any hair accessories) once the clothes were on.

I don't know how good any of these approaches would be, but they're the best I can come up with.  hmm  I just know that either divide-and-conquer or else hands-on, assembly-line-style, supervision are most likely to get the fastest results.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You could also try setting a time limit and suggest if the group can get ready within a specified time period (say five minutes) they'll be rewarded with something like an extra story at bedtime or get to stay up five minutes later or something like that.

I like the treat idea.  Similar to my bribing with cake smile  But probably a bit healthier, and reward sounds better than bribe.

Maybe as there are four of them, it might also work to make it a group reward, and say if they can all get dressed within five minutes, they can all do something nice.  Get them to work together, and speedily!  Thanks.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
          Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I meant all of them, although the terms would have to be negotiated with other parents. smile

Thanks for all of your suggestions, they are fab!

6. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

The race strategy is probably the best - my five year old responds pretty well to this (he's pretty competitive to begin with, though). I'll set the timer for 2 minutes and he'll try to get dressed before the timer goes off - he loves this game (I always make sure I set the timer so that there is sufficient time for him to complete the task, but not so long that he has time to dawdle).

Lisa's assembly line is a good idea, too - when we're in a hurry, I often dress our kids so that it isn't a hassle!

Well I love the idea of a timer.  I've used my phone timer before with my daughter to try to get her to hurry in the morning, but it's usually more of a threat; "if you're not ready by the time this goes off I will not be happy.."  kind of thing.  Making it more of a fun game is a much better strategy, and I will try it.  Very thoughtful with the timing too.

7. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 12 years ago

With my kids it always worked when I made it sound like a grown up task.. five is actually pretty easy to handle. Both my boys would make their own beds and do most of their own work.. it is after they grew older that I had to straighten them out. LOL smile

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile

So your water torture methods worked sofs?

Aren't hoses wonderful teaching instruments? smile

1. kirsib profile image60
        kirsibposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow my kids ALWAYS love dressing up, they could get changed 10 times a day if I let them... my girls that is. They are now 8 and 10 but especially to "get pretty" was never ever an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Ah, you were quite lucky!  Although some of the kids do like dressing up.  But I think it's the distraction issue that's the problem.  Getting dressed is boring compared to climbing behind the sofa and doing crazy dancing.  (Not my opinion, theirs).

2. sofs profile image77
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOl I dont torture them.. but they know it when I mean something.. 'you are grounded' is enough top put some fear into them.. now of course my older one is past all that .. the most well behaved teenager in town.. my little one needs some of that medicine every now and then.
        BTW hosing them down means wastage of water and we don't have much here.. LOL

Yes, you're right both my daughter and her friends respond well when treated in a more grown-up way.  I guess it's good to get them doing those tasks while they're keen to do them.  (I'm not looking forward to those teenage years!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)