Samhain: What does it mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. kittythedreamer profile image74
    kittythedreamerposted 12 years ago

Samhain is fast approaching and is a time of change and death to the old self. To me, Samhain represents new beginnings. We can't have new beginnings without endings to old ways. It is a representation of death, but not just death of the physical. I do also honor my ancestors on Samhain and past loved ones. What do you all do on Samhain and what does Samhain mean to you?

1. Cresentmoon2007 profile image64
      Cresentmoon2007posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like to do a ritual on Samhain but don't always have the time. However I always remember those of my loved ones who passed on and I look at the past year. All of my changes. I do away the the bad. To me it's like an entire new year. As you stated... new beginnings.

2. pinktulipfairie profile image70
      pinktulipfairieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So i will probably get kicked out but what is Samhain. I was following your Goddess/God Post and found this.

Samhain is on the day of halloween, it is what pagans call the holiday. Many celebrate it in different ways and even feel it means different things to them. No you won't get kicked out for simply asking a question. That's fine. Just please don't pick on us for our beliefs. That is all I ask. Too many times have I and many pagans dealt with this and it's heartbreaking.

1. pinktulipfairie profile image70

No judgement just wanted to understand.

kittythedreamerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for asking, pinktulipfairie! It's nice to see interest and yet not interest based on judgements. smile Blessings to you! And if you're looking to find out more about Halloween (what we call Samhain), I recommend Silver Ravenwolf's book called "Halloween". It's really interesting to find out the roots of Halloween and other modern holidays, as well. smile

2. Cresentmoon2007 profile image64

I figured as much, therefore I am grateful you asked. I didn't see any judgement behind your question at all and am grateful. Agreed with Kitty about reading Silver Ravenwolf's book "Halloween"

3. Eaglekiwi profile image76
            Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about the Anicent custom from Ireland -was kinda cool to learn all about Samheim and how it came to America.

3. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus did not celebrate it. Did he?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
        Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not unless he was a Celt lol

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

Wasn't he a hobbit in Lord of the Rings?

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Samhain means for me the holiday to honor my ancestors: my nana, my grandparents, my beloved mentor and a good friend. I light a candle and spend some time remembering each of them. I tend to be minimalist when it comes to ritual: for me, it's the frame of mind that matters.

Halloween also means for me the secular holiday where I get cute kids on my doorstep, celebrate their imaginations, and shower them with unhealthy but yummy chocolates. I treat with the munchkins earlier in the evening, my ancestors late.

Both are equally important to me: the past and the future. Which, of course, is a very appropriate, albeit modern, way of celebrating the boundary between old year and new.

I should also say that Samhain means the furry spoiled cat sitting in my lap. I adopted her on 10/31/96, so of course I named her Samhain. smile

I just posted a big long blog post on Mythphile, my mythology blog, about the meaning of Samhain, but I will spare you the whole kit and kaboodle. There sure are a lot of different traditions! (Hint: look up Scottish "guising" -- I had been trying to figure out where the whole Trick or Treat angle came from, and I think that may explain it.)

That is just beautiful, Greekgeek! Thanks for sharing. Actually this past couple of weeks I've been reading Silver Ravenwolf's book on "Halloween" and it is super interesting to find out where all of our Halloween traditions come from. Even the symbols such as bats, witches, skeletons, vampires & werewolves all come from ancient origins in one way or another. Thanks for sharing your lovely Samhain rituals with us. And blessings to your kitty cat Samhain!

4. profile image61
    nasakeposted 12 years ago

To me it is the time of the year when i can start again. The beginning and the end of yet another year on this wonderful earth! Yes we all have our bad times, and for my age i have been through the hoop so many times i'm surprised i'm still here, but samhain gives me hope again, it is the time where i can start over and have a better year, free of illness and depression and another year full of the joys life brings.

It's also for remembering the dead, my relatives, my friends relative, and the dead in general, it is their time and they deserve respect.

Absolutely lovely way of looking at Samhain, Nasake. I feel the exact same way about it, my friend. Blessed Be!

1. profile image61
        nasakeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We seem to have a lot in common kitty, it would be good to chat sometime, about all kinds of stuff. I get the impression could learn alot from you!

And I believe I could learn a lot from the both of you

Blessings to my fellow Pagans. It's so nice to meet such encouraging folks such as yourselves. Happy Samhain to the two of you!

Thank you Kitty. Happy Samhain. I hope you have a wonderful one.

5. profile image0
    Daniella Lopezposted 12 years ago

This is usually the time of year I like to honor my family members that have passed (my grandmother and grandfather in particular). I try to do something to honor their memories. My grandmother was a huge quilter, so I try to finish up a quilt around now. My grandfather was a chef, so I usually try to learn a new recipe. These might sound simplistic and childish, but it's sort of my way to remember them.

Blessed be!

6. Hawthorn profile image60
    Hawthornposted 12 years ago

Samhain to me is a new year - and a new start =] It's the night where the veil between the worlds is the thinnest. It's a Celtic Festival and a Faery Festival as the two cultures were interlinked. It's freaking awesome!
    It's also a time to remember those who have passed and to get ready for the winter. It's a Harvest Festival big_smile

Greek Geek - Trick or treating can be traced back to Souling, which was a bit like Carol Singing. In Ireland people would go from door to door singing to appease the spirits in the area. In return they would be given 'Soul Cakes' as a reward. I believe guising was a similar thing, but the wearing of costumes comes from another Irish Samhain tradition where the young men would dress up as scary spirits to scare away the real spirits, some would also dress up as spirits and monsters to 'blend in' so the real ones would think they were one of them and leave them be =].

Hope this is useful - Hawthorn.

1. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow Hawthorn! Thanks for explaining all of that! I'm really new to Samhain and still a little vague on the origin of it all. Thanks for the brief little history lesson. big_smile

7. Hawthorn profile image60
    Hawthornposted 12 years ago

Twas my pleasure =] x

Great write-up about Samhain and the roots of Halloween.

what phase of the lunar cycle is it right now?

8. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Lovely waxing crescent, just a little too thick for the Cheshire Cat smile.

I may have another question

2. Cresentmoon2007 profile image64

I love it when the moon is in a crescent phase. It's my favorite. And pinktulipfairie, always feel free to ask

Does it mean it is a good time to do my herb jar on Ms. Silver's website

Yes. Waxing moon phase is a good time to grow anything. smile

So how many more days is it in this phase? Thanks by the way you guys

Still waxing, full moon to be on the 10th this month. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)