"Personal decision"

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Lawfull Richard profile image60
    Lawfull Richardposted 12 years ago

Imagine you wake up in the morning. As you're opening up your eyes; you hear God's voice talking you. God ask you if you would want Him to show you or give you a note of what will be happening to you during the whole day and so the same as long as you live. Will you life be better and interesting as you will not worry about the unknown?
    Having your life on your hand but all things will happen in the order they were planned would prefer a life with unknown or the one where you know everything?

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm...interesting question.
      The concept of future, knoweldge of the future, etc. is one that fascinates me alot. Would not the simple act of God telling us what will happen, change the future by the existence of the fact?
      For example, if God told us what will happen, then wouldn't our very knoweldge of that fact change the future by definition? We wouldn't "experience" life the same. We would be experiencing it with the preknowledge that it will happen. And, based upon the "goodness" or "badness" of what would happen, we would inevitably try to change it or pattern our behavior accordingly, thus changing the pre-existing conditions, thoughts, attitudes, and decisions which would have naturally led to that action, without God having told us anything.
      Given this confusion, I think I would rather God not tell me anything. If something bad were supposedly happen, I'd want to change it. And maybe my attempt to change it would cause the very event I was attempting to change; because when God told me the future, maybe it was with the preknowledge of what I would do with that knowledge. In effect, would the simple act of telling me what the future was going to be, create conditions leading to a  future which was supposedly supposed to happen regardless of my knowledge?
      I guess I've thought about this too much.
      Simple answer would be: no. I don't want to know. It would be torture. I have had several prophetic dreams, which did take place; and they did so both when I tried to stop the event and when I was too scared to try to stop it.
      Life and time is definitely a mystery.

Lawfull Richardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer to this question, and it is interesting indeed. however, according to your summary, I would like to ask you something. How many time, do you blame God for things that happened to your and then wished you would have known about it. In that cause how far does  your answer tells you?

I don't really blame God for anything that happens to me.
          For, how do I know that if I were to know about something before it happened, that my prevention of that event would not begin another cycle of events which would lead to another disaster worse than the one I was trying to avoid by changing the future? And as I mentioned before, the simple knoweldge of the future would change my future. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. The prophecy about my future would not come true until I had known about it, because my knoweldge of the future must necessarily change it. It's like an electron. We observe the effects of their presence, but the minute we "see" them or make any attempt to see them, their pattern changes immediately.

kind interesting.. so you are afraid of it since you can't completely change the effect and course of something and your concern is that the change you apply may not result into something destructive than the previous. I hope I got your points. If so then it is interesting. Like you I think it would have been interesting if we could test the potential of everything that will happen to us and have the power to change those  that we don't like.. to my opinion that would be interesting..

Yes I am very afraid of it. I am always afraid of those things which I cannot control...

2. Lawfull Richard profile image60

you're right and it is not you alone.. we all are afraid of them.. that's why we get concerned.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would certainly conclude the claims of free will are bogus and we are just robots running a program.

3. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I've known, sometimes I haven't. Either way it does not add to or subtract from what you will 'experience' when whatever occurs. How we choose to respond in the moment is unique and can never be foretold no matter how much we know or do not know.

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

If I woke up and heard voices in my head, I'd get to a doctor.

3. profile image0
    icountthetimesposted 12 years ago

I think it would remove much of the enjoyment in life to know everything that was going to happen in advance. It wouldn't be nice to know about the nasty things that were going to happen either.

I believe you well answered this question. However, try to think about how people react to failure. something happened to you and you think that t could be better if you knew.

1. profile image0
        icountthetimesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes, there are certain times in life, where if you knew you'd suffer but would put through, that would add a different complexion to the situation. I think we'd still suffer in the moment though, as our minds aren't great at thinking "i'm suffering now, but sometime later things will be fine, so why worry". For the most part in life we already know that current suffering will pass, but it doesn't stop us feeling in.

4. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Knowing wouldn't always be a bad thing. It would definitely allow me to avoid foot in mouth. I could be kinder; knowing ahead of time the details of interactions. And nothing is set in stone. It is possible that part of the plan is allowing you to use your free will to help others. You could certainly help to avert tragedies and accidents. But, I would think it would be difficult to come to terms with things that would happen; that you wouldn't have the ability to affect a positive influence on the outcome.

I'd still be willing to give the scenario a 'look see'. Too much good could come of it for others, not to be willing to try.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)