Which meal is the most important among the three in a day?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Hui (蕙) profile image59
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

Rebecca Noseworthy, a registered dietitian with children's nutrition advocary group Breakfast For Learning, explains, "After a night of fasting, our brains need to be refuelled. Breakfast kick-starts the brain so it's ready to work and learn." Although making time for a healthy decision, these four foods are in particular recommended to have the biggest impact on brain-power. 1) Eggs. Eggs provide half of your daily requirement of choline and B-vitamin; 2) Oatmeal. Oatmeal contains soluble fibre, which sops up cholesterol and prevents plaque from forming in arteries. 3) Blueberries. Blueberries get their distinctive color from anthocyanin, a powerful antioxidant that has been found to reduce oxidative damage to brain cells. 4) Coffee. Coffee increases alertness, concentration, and energy levels. Personal opinions?

1. recommend1 profile image59
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would agree that breakfast may be the most important meal for several reasons but why do supposedly respectable 'advisors' use such stupid language as "re-fuel the brain" and "kick-start the brain" foods do no such thing !  although coffee might qualify as a stimulus for the brain and so could be described as a kick-start I guess.

Also the whole idea that breakfast is the most important meal of the day was coined by the cereal foods advertising industry and is repeated ad nauseum as though it were fact, backed by other glib phrases such as restoring energy levels, as though we were batteries !

Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read a paper written by some professor. She said that the damage for brain because of breakfast missing cannot be made up by other meals, and she also highly recommended the cereal food, but did not mention these four.  I believe her.

I cannot believe that missing breakfast damages your brain cells - sorry.  If this were true then the half of the world that goes hungry for large parts of their lives would be terminally stupid by now and they are definately not.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I've been skipping breakfast regularly since I was a small child, because it does make me feel sick to eat early in the day. So that makes over five decades of rarely having breakfast. I was consistently top of the class at school.

At university I walked away with the prize for the best undergraduate research project in my subject, got a first class honours degree and then went on to do a PhD. A decade or so later, when I decided I wanted to add a postgraduate qualification in information studies, I was the only person in my year to be awarded a distinction.

Currently, I translate medical documentation out of seven languages into English. Most people tell me this must need a lot of brain power, although to me it feels more like an amusing game most of the time.

Oh, one of the things that became very clear when I was doing academic research myself and then working in a job where I regularly had to review published research, is that academics are as likely as anyone else to make unfounded and stupid statements.

A second obervation, also based on personal experience in various contexts, is that there are a number of not very bright (one could even say downright thick) dietiticians on this planet.

Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

recommend1 and WriteAngled, you both have confident opinions and do not be sorry. To be frankly, when I was very young, I didn't even have enough food for stomach, letting the nutrional breakfast unsaid, but now I am going to do Ph.D in science. Not bad, right? However, I still believe the irreplaceable role that breakfast plays. How many intelligents in old days sufferred from poverty with half stomach all life long, while their great contributions were admitted years after they died? They did not become "stupid". Does that mean that nutrition and ease life are nothing benificial???

Many phenomena can be only seen under scientific research. What naked eyes cannot see does not mean that it does not exist. The Earth has naturally 6 billion years old longevity, while may 5.9 with humans' trouble. What's the difference? That missing breakfast damages brain can be considered as common sense. Cells are dying and replenishing all the time, naturally. The problem is that to what degree the replenishing can be achieved. Without food supply, the whole body would be collapsed, and so does the cell. After the consumption of a whole night (especially for children), it is the right timing to replenish. Damage does not mean collapse or lysis of the whole tissue or organ. The maintainnance of the whole system depends on the coordinating functions of all parts, the association between the inner and the outer, and different from person to person... A human body can genetically survive over 1,000 years, but we only live several decades, probably and fortunately up to ten. All living organisms naturally wear out. What is wrong with taking good care?

I don't refuse to the advantages of these four food, and actually I like them, but our Chinese have our own eating philosophy. Chinese medicine emphasizes on the harmony between humans and the nature with little human technology in it.

By the way, WriteAngled, you feeling sick with morning eating is only because you do not have a proper living habit. Honest admiration on your achievement, but good living habit is advantageous.

NO it is not - and basing a whole scientific jumble on such a premise or opinion is NOT common sense in itself.

The breakfast myth is the product of advertising that feeds on the usual situation of feeling peckish soon after we wake up.  We eat because our body tells us that we are hungry not because some paid to write pseudo scientist cobbles up a breakfast myth.

1. Sottway profile image68
                Sottwayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great comment recommend1 - we share a similar view. Our bodies store glycogen from feed we need to eat when we feel our energy diminishing, not when some advertisement tells us!

1. Sottway profile image68
                  Sottwayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Food -*

2. profile image52
            Vinny64posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Very well written! Talk about pinning the tail on the donkey! I suffer from a tramatic brain injury and would be very happy to know just what you may have forgotten. Boy, would I hate playing scrabble with you!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes coffee can be an "upper", makes you alert but not necessarily make your decisions intelligent.

Eating breakfast can be cultural and depends on weather condition, whether days could be longer and what type of occupations you might have. Generally the lifestyle you may have may affect the schedule of your meals. Eating breakfast can make you alert but not help you with your intelligence. It might be the case, but you need cross cultural studies over long periods of time - longitudinal studies to even ascertain it.

I like blueberries though, they are healthy.

3. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The most important meal for anyone is the one they eat. Some only get one meal a day.

2. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 12 years ago

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. We need breakfast to break the fasting since most of us probably have not eaten in the last 9 hours if you are not a late night snacker.  Everything in your body is low from fasting when we first wake up in the morning. We need food as soon as possible to bring our energy level back to an acceptable level.

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

The nutritional hit squad may bang on about breakfast as much as they like, but I take time to get going after waking up especially if I am forced to get up before 10-11am. If I am forced to eat in the first hour or so after getting up, I feel physically sick.

I also like to work late into the night, well after midnight, sometimes until next morning. Thus, for me, the most important meal is the one I eat any time between 7pm and 2am, depending on when I feel I want it.

I have met many other people who have similar experiences and opinions to mine.

4. Night Magic profile image60
    Night Magicposted 12 years ago

The meal I never miss is breakfast.  It gets you metabolism going.

5. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

It all depends on your metabolism, habits, lifestyle, workstyle and a lot of other factors. Everybody is different. If you eat late, and usually go to sleep soon after a meal, you are not going to wake up hungry, you'll wake up probably feeling tired and wanting a cup of coffee to wake up fully. Nothing good in coffee, just a coffeine boost in my opinion. You can drink a cup of fresh tea with ginseng and get the same effect, and it will be even better for your health. My dad's parents lived on a farm. They would get up at 5am to take care of cows, pigs and other animals they have. After they are done with animals, they would start making their own breakfast, usually pancakes with cottage cheese or jam (for me), at 9am and at 10am we would sit to eat. No food between 5am and 9-10 am! No one complained, though sometimes I would feel really hungry at 9am, but I am the morning person and I hate working at nights. And I NEED MY BREAKFAST!
    The most important thing is to eat at certain intervals, not overeat and consume healthy, natural, not overprocessed, not overcooked meal in a relaxed enjoyable atmosphere with least amount of sugar and salt possible. Your smartness has nothing to do with your manner of eating but if you starve yourself constantly or eat junk food, you can become physically ill and it WILL affect your memory and ability to understand and learn things. If you  are saying that you eat whatever you want and whenever you want, and smoke, and drink, and you are perfectly fine, I can tell you one thing - yes, for now you are fine, you have a strong system that holds perfectly on in one place, but usually it ends in a disaster when suddenly everything breaks loose and nothing you can do about it. It's usually too late.

6. ActiviaUK profile image57
    ActiviaUKposted 12 years ago

I'm interested in what you are saying @WriteAngled, I get that it makes you feel sick eating first thing so naturally you aren't going to do that, but do you eat when you are ready? Like an hour after getting up or do you skip that meal completely?  I am definitely in favour of Activia's TLC plan - 3 meals a day and one or two healthy snacks. This is how I have always eaten and it works for me maintaining a healthy body and mind. Breakfast does set me up for the day but like you I can't eat it as soon as I get up. It is usually half hour to an hour after. If I don't have that first meal I am not me! Just wanted to know whether you do still maintain 3 meals a day, because I think that is what is important, not necessarily that you eat as soon as you get up!

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Hi ActiviaUK,

I eat when I feel hungry. Some days I might have one main meal and a couple of snacks, other days I might have six or even more small meals, especially if I work through the night as I often do. Some days I might eat something within an hour of getting up, other days I might not feel like having anything for four or five hours. The type of food I eat also varies massively. I do not live by rules in any aspect of my life, including food.

8. ActiviaUK profile image57
    ActiviaUKposted 12 years ago

To eat when you feel hungry...you can't really argue with that. We all have our own methods! In  a way I eat when I am hungry too which is, for most days 3 meals and 1/2 snacks, as that is what my body is use to and needs.

9. Sottway profile image68
    Sottwayposted 12 years ago

Is breakfast really the most important meal? Our body will break down the food we previously ate, storing glycogen in our muscles for when we need energy. As glycogen is a long-lasting energy source whenever we then feel weak is when we need to eat?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)