Create a new forum for Hubbers to share plagiarizing sites/DMCA info

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

Recently we've had several cases where Hubbers have been able to work together to get plagiarizing sites taken down. 

Those threads are very important but it's all too easy for Hubbers not to notice them. If we had a forum dedicated to that subject, we'd all be aware of the need to keep an eye on it, and therefore we'd get better concerted action and better results.  How about it, HubPages?

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what I said somewhere yesterday. Thanks for the new topic and yes it's not a great idea - it's a necessity.
      +100 lol

2. Rising Caren profile image79
    Rising Carenposted 12 years ago

Hmm...Come to the forums, swing by the plagiarizer forums to see if any new sites popped up and help take them down?

I think it's a good idea.

3. GAbaptist profile image65
    GAbaptistposted 12 years ago

Definitely a good idea to consolidate. I have seen these type of posts in several forum areas and it would be nice to be able to go to one spot to see the latest finds. Has it been suggested directly to the Hubpages staff yet?

Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This forum is called "Suggest a New Feature" and it used to be monitored regularly by staff to collect Hubber suggestions, that's why I put it here.

Recently, there has been much less staff activity in the forums so I'm not sure whether they still collect suggestions that way.  However I don't really know how else to suggest it sad

4. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

I just think that this is great as it would be just soooooo nice if others would post the sites that steal hubs so that the rest of us could check to see if our own work was also copied....just a thought....roll

That's exactly what I'm suggesting.  Obviously people would have to be careful not to post a live link to the offending sites, otherwise they get a free backlink - but it's easy enough to put a space or two in the URL so it doesn't become live.

People are doing that now, it's just that the threads are spread all over the forums and easy to miss - if they were all in one place, it would be great.

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I think this is an excellent idea Marisa!

One of the recent threads on content thieves was mine, and hardly anyone read it (at the start, they may have now for all I know), even though I listed loads of hubs that had been stolen, including staff's.

If we are having a forum dedicated to it, would it not be better to have one that is hidden the search engine's eyes, just in case someone accidentally put in a live link back to one of those sites.

It is easily done, and not easily undone if the hubber goes offline for a few hours and misses requests to take the live link out.

Is the Sandpit not hidden? If so, it can be done.

Yes Izzy, it should not be available to all hubbers as well just those with 80+ or 85+ should be allowed to enter. I prefer 80+ though as most of the active hubbers fall in this range. Like ME lol

6. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Ooh, great idea!

7. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I agree that it's a great idea.  Not only would it make it that much easier for Hubbers to know about these sites; but - who knows - maybe it would act as a little bit of a deterrent to anyone who comes to this site to get their stuff to steal because they know there's traffic in it.  (Traffic to Hubs can also mean traffic to a "List of Shame".  Maybe at least a few of them would think twice before risking getting their site on a public list here.  Also - who knows - becoming known as a site where writers work together against theft might help some.  (We all know the collective message that gets sent by people on sites like Reddit, when it comes to using their site just for backlinks.  Having a reputation for being a community that's actively paying attention to who's stealing what might be a little bit of help too.)   Really, right now there's pretty much a big free-for-all going on.

8. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I know this is a lot to ask of the community, but it would be nice to have a rule like the site url is the title of the thread so that we can quickly and easily peruse a list of topics.
    Example titles:

horriblecopiersite.com stole my hubs
    westealcontent.com stealing hubs
    terriblethieves.com may be stealing hubs
    totally-stolen-stuff.com stole my hubs

Instead of titles like:
    HELP SOME JERKS r totally stealing all our stuff
    Another site copying
    Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yet another site is stealing our content
    omg another site is copying
    site stole my stuff

Just a thought, possibly hard to enforce, but it would be nice for the sake of knowing 'Did i read this thread yet?'

1. Cardia profile image76
      Cardiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Definitely a good idea!

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As much as I agree having one spot to report plagiarists could be useful, but how are you going to "enforce" the use of a designated category.  For example, people don't bother keeping religion threads in the religion category, or technology threads (Facebook, blogs, questions about web dev) in that category? 

How is having yet another new category not going to just make more work for people who flag misplaced threads and admin who will have to move them?

Fair point, but even if some Hubbers were dumb enough to post in the wrong forum, I think we'd still have most posting in the right place - and that would be worth having.

Hey there relache - do you think that all hubbers are going to be using it?
          Not more than 10 - 15 will be using it so having a separate forum wont be that bad

9. wordscribe43 profile image91
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

It's a fantastic idea...  Just one way to make an aggravating process a little easier for us all.  Thanks, Marisa.

10. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I think it is a good idea to get all of the information on this problem in one place here.

In the past I  have seen articles on the internet that I suspect is copied from Hubber's work but if you do not have enough information you cannot open a thread on just a 'hunch'. If all the posts on this were in one place it would be easier to check the forum out for further information.

Good point.

11. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Vote up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)