what is the common thought running through all religions?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image52
    haj3396posted 12 years ago

The common thought running through all religions? is this, we are the true religion. So if that the common thought how do we know which religion is the true one? I truely believe one is the true religion, but, it is covered by all other saying they are. Can any one tell me how I would know, which Religion is the true one.

1. ElSeductor profile image59
      ElSeductorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The common thought running through all religions is this: how do we control the masses?  People will believe anything, and the bigger the lie, the bigger the possibility to convince more people of it.

Religion is the starting point of all evil.

R

1. profile image52
        haj3396posted 12 years agoin reply to this

A lie is only prove when an authorty is presenting the truth. You gave know truth to statement, but, a great number of people believe it. So taking what you said the bigger the lie more people or convince. Then are more people convince your way than religion.

2. liftandsoar profile image59
        liftandsoarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This from one who writes on how to seduce married women?

1. Chris Neal profile image77
          Chris Nealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bravo!

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interpretation on an individual level. It plays to one's level of ignorance.

1. profile image52

That true, but you are putting a lot of people down, because these hubs are individual level. think before you speak.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not putting anyone down. Go look up the word "ignorance"- lack of "something".

Every human being on the planet is ignorant to some capacity, so please do try to refrain from telling me that I am putting down a lot of people.

If you won't accept your own flaws, how I can or anyone for that matter, expect you to accept them as they are?

Understand? I hope so.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Death and a fiery lake of torment to all non-believers.

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Are Christianity and Islam all religions? They're the only ones that believe that.

2. profile image52

Your words

3. Chris Neal profile image77
        Chris Nealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Finally! He speaks truth!

Too bad it won't last! lol

4. Seek-n-Find profile image70
      Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think any religion is the "true" religion because religion is man's attempt to explain God.  I do believe in one, true God and some "religions" get the basics but there is so much distortion in religions, in my opinion.  I believe God makes known what He wants to be known and if we search Him, not a religion, we will find Him.  There is also a lot of mystery to God--if He's God--how could we possibly package Him up in a nice, little box that can sit on my dresser?  Even the Bible says about Jesus something to the effect of, "...and he did many more things, but to write them all down would take up books that would fill the whole world."  You will know truth by its fruits.  But be careful because certain people or groups that misrepresent God's true intents may have bad fruits because of themselves, not because of God.  The consistent person I find to say what He means and to do what He says and to not just speak but live it out and has power to prove that He is who He says He is would be Jesus. Not all His followers represent Him accurately (not all who claim to be His followers really are!).  But search out God and my belief is He is way above and beyond any religion.

1. profile image52

Can A person Believe in God and not believe in religion?

1. mischeviousme profile image61
          mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

absolutely...

2. Seek-n-Find profile image70
          Seek-n-Findposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think so.  Most people associate themselves with the religion that best fits what they believe, but the way I see it, religion is man's attempt to reach God and relationship is God's attempt to reach man.  I call myself a "Christian" because I believe in Christ.  But I don't agree with all of the "religious stuff" that many other who would also call themselves "Christian" say.  I'm not saying all people who go to church or are religious are bad--I'm not saying that at all.  I go to a church.  But the people I go church with believe that we are the church--we are a called out people who believe in God and His ways--not man and his ways.  Do we sing songs of worship to God?  Yes--and other churches do the same.  But we believe that true worship is more than singing a song--it is a lifestyle--and it is spirit and truth by all we do that is an act of worship.  I know some people that believe that because they say they are such and such a label of a religion and because they say they believe and even to to a church or house of worship, that they believe, follow, and love God.  But this may not be the case (although it could be). It's like if I said, "I believe in marriage, I love my husband, and am devoted to being a a good wife."  And then I read books about marriage, went to seminars, and knew all there was to know about marriage.  BUT--I never got married.  oR--I got married, but never spent time with my husband.  OR, I spent time with my husband out of obligation and did "nice things" for him but didn't really love him and couldn't wait to leave the house.  This is how religion and relationship can be totally different from each other.

2. profile image51
        EStanMillerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well put Seek-n-Find - my own belief exactly. Man has made many mistakes - including in religions. May your own personal God bless you through your own happy & great future! Stan

2. rbe0 profile image59
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

Self Empowerment Thru Faith in God

1. profile image52

what!!!!! God tells us not to trust in our self, should you explan?

1. rbe0 profile image59
        rbe0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

God never told me that...? Should I explain?

1. profile image52

well let me show you that, Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

9 For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

1. rbe0 profile image59

This is very true. Still doesnt make any sense to you tho.

3. wolfee profile image66
    wolfeeposted 12 years ago

There is no way to know, its all about faith and what you believe. In my opinion, organized religion is a major cause for many of the worlds problems. However, my personal beliefs are just that, my own and I believe everyone is entitled to that. I have no problem with any religion until that religion is forced down my throat. I think if everyone kept their beliefs to themselves and just tried to be a good person and do the right thing the world would be a much better place.

1. rbe0 profile image59

Organized religion doesn't cause any unsolvable problems. Go try and join one that you like and try it out.

1. wolfee profile image66
        wolfeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was raised in a luthern church. I then went to a baptist church...I have also been to methodist and "christian" churches. There is no organized religion that works for me....because I have trouble with the fact that they all believe in the same god yet cannot agree on anything. I believe in live and let live and spiritually I am ok with the world around me.

1. profile image51

Same here wolfee - & it does not really matter because God gives us a very wide individual leeway to do with our lives what we want. - But do no harm to others is the essentail in most religions. Presently I'm in the New Apostolic Church & they suit me perfectly. God bless you!

2. mischeviousme profile image61

Wolfee

This is the message of tollerance that the "great teachers" spake of. I am glad that there are people with the good sense to see a greater dynamic in the world.

Thank you

3. profile image52

Yes you are right, but these topics are to help us understand. I believe there is one true religion out there, but, there is so much distrust, we can not see the truth.

4. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

In my opinion the reason for religion is because of our fear of death.  To believe in a god, offers people the belief that they can escape death.

1. wolfee profile image66
      wolfeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree

If that is how you feel, then you might read a few of my threads. They are mainly Budhist  in nature thogh very rough. I am not trying to sell my beliefs, but you may agree with some of the finer points, there in.

2. profile image52

What about when God say all shall die, If you are a believer in God then you know you shall die.

3. profile image51

No, Not true - most religions provide you with the belief that God gives you eternal life if you follow his wishes by not doing 'bad' things - simply put, sorry. :-)

Life is eternal, in the sense that life will go on eternally at least to us anyway. We don't live long enough to see it all and we are oh so tiny. We are but the tiniest speck of dust on the back of a germ. We no more have the answers as there is an answer for us.

I had to admit to myself that there were no answers and that I should just observe. See, Feel, hear and taste and enjoy. There will be pain and there will be loss and in accepting the true essence of it, we live richer lives. One should not fear death, one should accept that it is and will be what it is.

My finger prints make me a unique thing. I see the wonder of the universe in the spots of the leopard or the eyes of a fish. All of these things are unique. I see the wonder in that and I don't need to believe in anything to enjoy it. I enjoy it, because I have to live, whether I enjoy it or not.

I have a feeling of something greater than myself, but I do not believe we are worthy of giving it a name. Just know that it is or accept it as it is. This is a form of truth which I feel at ease with. It makes me feel so, at peace with myself.

4. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

.Some believers may think like that.  ...   I see it a bit differently.   I think that when I die I will be  excaping this small space in which I am currently contained. 
      We are all prisoners of our own mind.  When I become one with my mind, I think I can talk it into seting myself free.  Then I might not have to die in order to excape.

5. jblais1122@aol profile image68
    jblais1122@aolposted 12 years ago

I think that religion goes a bit deeper than an attempt to explain God.  I believe mankind developed an unending and undeniable need to explain himself.  Without knowing the terminology of philosophy man began to wonder at his ability to overcome and shape nature, how else but through divine intervention.  It was long believed that community begat religion.  As early man drew together in communities and towns that religion was developed to establish the rules for communal living.  A recent discovery of a purely religious site in Turkey dating beyond 5000BC seems to have killed this theory.  A massive religious site built by hunter gatherers predating Mesopotanian community building.  Mankind is inherently self doubting.  Religion explains to us why. Why we exist, Why we toil. Why, Why, Why.  Some religions detail the "why" of every facet of life.  Some offer less guidance.  Contemporary True Religions are at odds because they are intollerant of their contemporaries.
    Personally, I think Albert Einstein had it right.  Physics is too perfect, There has to be a Creator.

1. profile image52

Thank you

2. profile image51

Also thanks - Bless you!

3. mischeviousme profile image61

I didn't say I didn't believe in something. I have said time and again, it isn't important. What I hold true, is that I exist and that whatever answers I recieve are for me. I can share the answers I gleem from the experience and it is your choice whether you accept them or not.

There doesn't have to be causallity in things. It exists, so one should be happy to be part of it. Accept the pains of life and you will not fear it. This is my answer for you. Anyone that should read this.

6. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Many people think Coke is the best, while others think pepsi is better. What the flip is your point?

7. Daniel 120plus profile image61
    Daniel 120plusposted 12 years ago

In my opinion the true Religion is the religion that can truly satisfy your heart's longing (that is a longing for God and knowledge of him). The religion that can fulfill your desire and that of God That is that he might have his abode in you. And one more characteristic of this religion is that it preaches love. One is most satisfied when he is able to love.

1. Quirinus profile image60
      Quirinusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

... where Love is supreme, everything else falls into place.
      This may not be immediately perceptible, but at a later point in time, we do come to realize "so it was better to have that happen after all than what I had initially thought would be the best for all."
      I don't know if every religion teaches Love vs. fear and guilt.  But if one does, it's worthwhile taking a look at.

8. Quirinus profile image60
    Quirinusposted 12 years ago

Open your mind to all religions, all philosophies, all schools of thought that you can possibly access.
    Listen with your eyes, learn with your "heart". It is more intelligent that logic.
    Religions can help while on earth. In the end when all the why's are answered, where there is complete Self knowledge, religions will no longer matter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)