Jesus and Buddha (the same person)

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

I am not saying this litterally, I just think that the ideas are very much the same. Buddha saved us from desire and Jesus saved us from our sins.

The idea is that the early Hindu and Buddhist teaching, spread west and were adapted to fit the culture. In India and China, the Buddhas were wandering ascettics and renunciants. Such things can be said for western religions. Jesus the wandering, nomad preacher and Buddha, the enlightened one.

Since Buddha was born 300 years before Christ, is it possible that Jesus somehow learned of Buddhist principle?

1. profile image52
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Buddha had prophesied of Jesus coming to India; and Jesus did come to India after when he survived death on the Cross; and many Buddhist accepted him; it is for this that there are many similarities between the teachings of Jesus and Buddha.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image70
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

desire and sin are not always equivalent...However, I understand your point.

As to whether or not Jesus would have learned of his teachings, I'm not sure. Was transportation and conveyance of information very extensive back then? Would the Chinese have had any contact with the Middle Eastern world of the time?

3. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image59
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jesus is in no way the same as Buddha for he is greater than anyone else as he and God are one, having existed even before creation, yes, he created us all, as in John 1:3.  Jesus is the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, for he is the Word made flesh.  He is in all of us in the protein molecule called laminin, that binds our tissues and cells together, He is above all dieties and principalities in this life that even all demons and evil fear him, as in 1 Colossians 2:6-15. May more people see his light shine in this life, through deep prayer and meditation in the Holy Spirit.

mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You religious folk are determined to indoctrinate and to be indoctrinated. Can you not think for yourselve's? I am not trying to get down on you, I am merely pointing out that the motives were the same, not so much that they were the same person. Read between the lines and stop looking at the words, you might just learn something.

2. profile image52
        paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Buddha and the Creator God are one; Krishna and the Creator God are one; Moses and the Creator God are one; Jesus is one like them so many. It does not mean they have all become god; they have become selfless in the Creator God; they did what the Creator God told them to do; they had put on the cloak of the attributes of the Creator God; became in the image of the Creator God; they spread no message of their own but only the Message revealed to them by the Creator God; they accomplished His words.

John was wrong

Again, we are all God. Does it matter to you truly, the beliefs of others? Seek your own answers or you will find emptiness within yourself.

2. BfoBarney profile image60
    BfoBarneyposted 12 years ago

I don't necessarily believe in either ones true existence but I do however strongly believe in their morals. Whether or not they are the same person it shouldn't really matter. But instead of being separated and taught not to deter from your current religions path, we should instead be united in the same teachings (of course this would never work). But we don't live in a perfect world...

I didn't mean letterally the same person, so much as they were the same personallity. I share my mind with others as did they, this is an aspect we all share, so therefor we are all Jesus and Buddha. It does not matter what we believe in, so much as how others accept us and our views. We change yet we are the same. A wave begins a ripple, just as a tree a seed and a flower a bud, we so begin as babies. Our minds change and thus, so then does our interpretation of the world. WE tell others of this and they have the choice to believe or not.

3. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Christians would argue that Jesus was prophesied to come before Buddha was born, since I believe there is a mention of a Messiah coming in the old testament somewhere.
    But both had very similar teachings, so I can see your point.

Buddha lived up to 300 years before Christ was born. He said that he had found nirvana and would never be reborn again. Jesus on the otherhand was not finished. He has probably been reborn everyday. We all have the abillity to find a truth for ourselves and so then, we are all the Buddha or the Christ. The things they said bordered between reallity and insanity.

But are we all not insane to some degree?

1. Richieb799 profile image75
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you understood what I was getting at, Christians would argue that the teachings of Jesus were 'born' before Buddha arrived because they believe Jesus is god in the flesh and it was already mentioned he would come in the old testament which was written before Buddha came along.

I really like Buddhism though, I went to Thailand in the Summer last year and I visited many Buddhist Temples, I'm not committed to any religion but I'm really interested in Buddhism and Hinduism.

It doesn't matter what you choose. What I choose is not important, it is how I utillize the teachings there of.

4. Captain Redbeard profile image61
    Captain Redbeardposted 12 years ago

I don't know if you can say that Jesus' teachings could be traced to Buddhism. All references he made in the new testament on how to live life, love each other and such can be traced to the old testament. Jesus drew on Juadism not Buddhism or Hinduism or any other "ism" I can think of

The silk road was a trade route that predates Judaism by many hundreds of years. So is it then possible that certain ideas were shared amongst the travelers of the day?

1. Captain Redbeard profile image61
        Captain Redbeardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

These people that we refer to as Jews have always been a people of exclusivity. Long before they were referred to as Jewish they were Isrealites. Before that, they were tribes and before that they were nomadic people but the ideas and theology of the people were the same.

Their laws strictly prohibited them from learning from the cultures around them and I highly doubt that a traveler from Asia would have been able to so greatly influence them that they wove ideas of other cultures and religion into theirs.

I am no expert nor am I a jew, just commenting with information that I have learned. smile Enjoying our conversation and this thread!

5. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

Buddha and Jesus are separate persons with the same type of teachings revealed to them by the Creator God.

Or did they discover some truth for themselve's? The church does not want you to do this or you would not be at the church. The same can be said of any business. Keep the customer stupid and they will return every time.

6. profile image52
    paarsurreyposted 12 years ago

We can search for Truth and the Creator God leads us to that and with His mercy we can remain on the truthful path.

If you can do it for yourself, not because you are expected to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)