Weekly Topic Inspiration: Using Renewable Energy in Everyday Life

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (69 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

A couple weeks back, lobobrandon suggested we have a green living theme for one of our Weekly Topic Inspiration rounds, and I agree it’s an excellent subject.

I’m therefore making this week’s theme all about using renewable energy in everyday life. This can be as simple as walking more and as complex as installing green-energy collection tech in and around your home!

Here are some title ideas that include common keywords on the subject that you might like to use:
    The Top 5 Alternative Energy Sources
    A Guide to Solar Energy for Homes
    Hot to Build Alternative Energy into Everyday Life
    5 Types of Alternative Energy You Can Use Right Now
    A Guide to Setting Up a Solar Water Heater
    Tips on Boosting Home Energy Efficiency
    5 Benefits of Using a Solar Water Heater
    Tips on Getting Solar Energy for Your Home
    The Best Renewable Energy Sources for Your Home
    Tips on Getting Solar Panels for Your Home
    A Guide to DIY Solar Panels
    10 Creative Applications of Solar Energy
    10 Advantages of Solar Energy for the Modern Household
    The Basic Steps of Solar Panel Installation
    5 Different Solar Panel Kits for Eco-Friendly Homeowners
    How to Get Started with Solar Water Heating
    The Best Solar Power Systems for Single Family Homes

Take note that you don't have to write about advanced tech to join in on the fun: you can always offer tips on using very simple renewable energy, such as the sun to dry clothes, or your body to convey you to work on foot or a bike!

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

Big thanks to lobobtandon for the idea! I'm looking forward to reading your Hubs big_smile

1. RealHousewife profile image68
      RealHousewifeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love this topic!  Very very cool!

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm writing a hub at present. I spent an hour creating a nice pic hope you'll like it smile

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Dam!! I've got my final exams going on till the 16th. I've copied all the titles for reference I'll write hubs on most of these topics from the 16th onwards. Thanks so much for adding this topic. When I write the hubs I'll create a forum post so all of you'll know it big_smile
      Thanks again Simone smilelolcool

3. CWanamaker profile image95
      CWanamakerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone -

Hey Thanks for the Topic Inspiration! I wrote a hub about the benefits hot water heaters: http://cwanamaker.hubpages.com/hub/5-Be … ter-Heater

This was a great follow up to an early hub I had written about the basic types of solar water heaters and how they work.

Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's fantastic! I'm a big fan of solar... everything! Solar water heaters have been around for ages, too, and are so straightforward. What's not to love?

2. K9keystrokes profile image82
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find the comparison chart very helpful!

3. K9keystrokes profile image82

My neighbor has a roof top version solar water heater and he loves it!

4. lobobrandon profile image88

Here's my hub. Hey there Simone hope you like it big_smile
      Too bad I have my exams going on otherwise I'd have written many many more. There's so much to write about.
      But when my exams are done I'll be adding them big_smile
      http://lobobrandon.hubpages.com/hub/Bui … omes-alike

Btw this is my first hub on the weekly inspirational topics - it feels great big_smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image82

Super cool layout within your hub! Nice list of Eco friendly advice.

Thanks so much smile

2. lobobrandon profile image88

I've ranked amazingly for this hub on yahoo and bing but the big G has me nowhere may have to give it time smile
        But the results are surprising on yahoo and bing even though they are ranked high I just got 2 views from them in 24 hours. If it were google I'd have lots more

5. tarajeyaram profile image57
      tarajeyaramposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Simone - this is a fantastic idea.  I am all for green things.  I just have to find time to do a hub.  I am all inspired.  I wrote a hub on Eco-Friendly New Year's Resolution - http://tarajeyaram.hubpages.com/_Hub007 … -For-2012. 
      I want to write more on this topic as it is so dear to my heart.  Thank you for your fantastic idea.

I really enjoyed your hub. Makes me want to go full-blown organic in my food choices!

6. Little two two profile image85
      Little two twoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I looked at ways to make renewable energy mobile and more geared to todays on the go person.
      http://littletwotwo.hubpages.com/hub/Cr … reen-Enery

Coolest [ wink ] Solar Coterie ever! Witty and fun topic choice LTT!

7. imaverick profile image62
      imaverickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This a cool topic. Perfect, I just joined hubpages smile

I can contribute some as I'm into green living topics as well.

Outstanding! Welcome to HubPages imaverick! Be sure to checkout our very helpful Learning Center, I learn so much there! here is a direct link for you!  http://hubpages.com/_2dhw39mw9bj85/lear … r/contents 
        I Can't wait to read your work! cool
        Cheers~
        K9

8. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting such a nice topic. I am late in visiting the forum. However, I have written few articles about the topic long back.
      I would like to read some of the hubs about the topic.

Jyoti Kothari

2. jesimpki profile image92
    jesimpkiposted 12 years ago

I've posted my hub.  I wrote about using a solar panel kit from a retailer and using it to produce and use my own power.  I saw this Topic Inspiration and though it would be an awesome way to share with others what I've done and continue to do every day.

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
      wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I enjoyed your hub!  Wanna come install a kit for me?  wink  Please?

1. jesimpki profile image92
        jesimpkiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks wordscribe43 smile  Haha, only if you're anywhere near Virginia wink

2. Simone Smith profile image86

This is so cool! I hadn't read much of anything about solar kits that folks could set up themselves before. They're a cool option!

They certainly are Simone! Its great to be able to have enough juice to provide light and a working internet connection for several hours when the power is out too.

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about that! Benefits abound.

3. K9keystrokes profile image82

What a great way to show off your passionate hobby for saving energy! Clear writing and super good personal experience information. Highly recommend this hub! cool

Thanks for the compliments K9keystrokes!

3. profile image0
    cr00059nposted 12 years ago

Hello Jesimpki - Just visited your hub 20 seconds ago.  How did you master all this, and are you available near Richmond, Virginia?

Thanks for visiting cr00059n.  The kit itself includes instructions for putting it all together.  I'm actually further south, near Christiansburg.

4. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

Is the second idea a typo? If not, what is a hub in the non-Hubpages sense?

Hmm just noticed that big_smile

It is! Removed it.

5. profile image0
    Robin Kempposted 12 years ago

You always share valuable information.  Sometimes just when I was looking for something interesting to write about you jog my memory with great topics.

6. andersonmoore profile image58
    andersonmooreposted 12 years ago

What a great way to show off your passionate hobby for saving energy! Clear writing and super good personal experience information. Thanks

hmm

Maybe his account was hacked? roll

We can only hope, jesimpki...smile

7. dfuntanar profile image60
    dfuntanarposted 12 years ago

One of my favorite topics! big_smile
    Here's my hub about it.  I hope it doesn't appear to hurried, it has been days since my last hub was written, and I am just glad I came across this topic and I was able to string something together! big_smile

Whoah, THIS IS AMAZING!!! I've never heard of solar bottle bulbs before. Love it!! I think it's a fabulous Hub. So glad you joined WTI this week!

Can you say mandatory disaster kit item? This is really cool, those MIT folks are pretty sharp cookies!

8. Lindy's World profile image61
    Lindy's Worldposted 12 years ago

Once again I want to thank you Simone for your weekly topics.  They are amazing.  I just completed my hub on using Renewable Energy through conservation.  Here is the link: http://lindysworld.hubpages.com/hub/Ene … ble-Energy

Wow, thanks Lindy's World! Love the Hub you wrote. You've outlined a bunch of conservation methods and efforts that I had not heard of before. Also, I'm so pleased to read that new wood stoves come with built-in catalytic converters- how cool is that??

Your information on the amount of oil Americans use daily is staggering!

9. Simone Smith profile image86

Hey everyone! I want to point out that you don't have to be a renewable energy expert to write a Hub on this week's WTI subject. There are lots of sources of renewable energy that do NOT involve complicated tech. Consider, for example, human energy, which is quite renewable! You could always write a Hub on working more of THAT into everyday life. smile

10. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

Here are a few things to consider when setting up, or revising a Renewable Energy Home Office! cool
    http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/t/2c7795

HubHugs to the room~
    K9

So cool. More people should take this approach when setting up home offices! Most home offices sort of get... slammed together without much thought, but it really pays to consider details like this!

11. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Spectacular hub layout! cool

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks K9.

Gotta do most of my reading tomorrow!

Yeah! I love the layout, too, and am really impressed by the cool solar kits one can buy these days!

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone smile

12. ktrapp profile image92
    ktrappposted 12 years ago

While my hub doesn't focus primarily on renewable sources of energy, it does discuss really simple ways to save energy.

Did you know, for example, that your plugged in television and connected DVD player, cable box, xboxes, etc. all use energy even when they're turned off?

This is often referred to as phantom energy, and ways to eliminate phantom energy loss and other losses of energy are the focus of this hub.

http://ktrapp.hubpages.com/hub/save-energy-at-home-tips

Watt metering is a great idea! Top-notch hub Ktrapp!

1. Lord De Cross profile image67
        Lord De Crossposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if our own perspiration added to wind energy can help us to find a true energy saver/

2. ktrapp profile image92
        ktrappposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile

Watt metering can become quite addictive as I am discovering. I didn't mention it in my hub, but there are some libraries in the U.S. that actually let you checkout/borrow watt meters.

THIS.... HUB.... IS... AMAZING O________________O

13. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

OK, dumb question:  when does the week begin, and when is the deadline for publishing the Hub?  I'm working on one.  Thanks.

Since the original post says posted 4 days ago I say you got a total of 2 days more not sure if its 3 dont take chances

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whew, I think I made it!

Yay!!

14. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 12 years ago

Good point with those safety tips! You might add some notes about how much money / energy is saved by riding a bike, etc. I would be most interested to know those details!

1. mary615 profile image82
        mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for suggestion.  I have done that.

15. Melovy profile image92
    Melovyposted 12 years ago

Lots of great hubs here, I’m working my through them. And since it’s all too easy to get caught up in the worthiness of it all, I couldn’t resist doing an ever so slightly silly hub. (It’s got a serious side too!)
    http://melovy.hubpages.com/hub/Fun-Tips … Efficiency

Hope you enjoy it!

Hahaa, I LOVE the ever so slightly silly Hub!

16. Simone Smith profile image86

Hey everyone! Thanks for the fantastic renewable energy tips you shared! We have a new topic up now- children's health! Stop by the forum thread to join a fun new round of WTI!

17. algarveview profile image75
    algarveviewposted 12 years ago

Hey Thanks for the Topic Inspiration! I wrote a hub about how to choose your solar water heating system, i hope you like it.
    http://algarveview.hubpages.com/hub/How … er-Heating

1. algarveview profile image75
      algarveviewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

too late?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)