Stop SOPA and Protect IP Contact your congressman

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

For those who neglect their emails:

* Start *

Stop SOPA and Protect IP
    Contact your congressman and save HubPages!

While we prefer to leave political discussions to Hubbers in the Politics and Social Issues forum, a rather pressing matter has inspired us to break from our typically apolitical stance. Protect IP, as well as SOPA, the Stop Online Piracy Act (two bills currently in the United States Senate and House, respectively), threaten the world of online writing as we know it.

While this legislation was first created in an effort to target offshore sites selling illegal goods to US consumers by operating outside the jurisdiction of the Department of Justice, these bills have evolved to hold websites accountable for any content that enables or promotes copyright infringement.

According to these bills, HubPages could be shut down if just one Hub infringes on someone’s copyright, links to an illegal site, or even promotes visiting one. We are an open publishing platform and cannot review each and every Hub that gets published, hence Protect IP and SOPA leave us particularly vulnerable.

We ask for your support in bringing an end to this legislation. If you enjoy writing on HubPages (and any other online publishing platform for that matter) and want to continue to be able to publish online, please call, email, or otherwise contact your Senators and your Representative and ask that Protect IP and SOPA be stopped.

If you would like to take action, the Electronic Frontier Foundation offers a form letter that enables you to support an end to these bills in a couple of clicks. If you would like to contact your congressman via a phone call or letter, you can find your local senators’ and representatives’ numbers and addresses on Congress Merge.

Fight for the Future created a short, simple video explaining Protect IP if you’re curious to learn more, and you can read in detail why SOPA threatens open publishing platforms, as well as free speech, online security, and the Internet industry in this report by NetCoalition.

Hoping for your support.

* End *

1. sean kinn profile image59
      sean kinnposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is actually a fairly simple solution to the problem. In some instances, the term "copyright" no longer exists by default, because when you forward a web page link, it's no different than emailing to a friend the text found on the web page associated with the link you emailed. Google and many other web entities like this process, because their publishing platforms are mostly advertising based - and their ads get forwarded with the links (email is one of the original forms of social media, aye - especially if you sent the link to your entire address book, and then everyone in your address book did the same :-). The term "copyright" still very much exists for authors and publishers within the Amazon Kindle platform, though. So it's basically just a matter of understanding the difference in the two (the difference in the two publishing platforms: Google vs. Amazon). And it's all merely fallout from advent of the Internet, and ongoing digital substitution/disintermediation efforts.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59

And the email has all sorts of live links in it for use.

3. Green Lotus profile image59
    Green Lotusposted 12 years ago

Done! It was easy. I do hope my not too bright elected officials take action. roll

4. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

Yeah I read their drivel. HP can shut the **** up and follow the rules like everyone else. If not, they get unpublished. I will contact my Congressman and tell them I want the law and that it's about time it was passed.

I didn't like the whiney email either. It's against my TOS. So knock off the crying game HP. I'm not your employee.

By the way, this will be the excuse HP uses to take your work. Can't have anything they don't own on THEIR site. Since your work is on THEIR site, it will belong to them after a set number of days if not removed after you are sent an email requiring you to do so.

1. jimmythejock profile image84
      jimmythejockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Keith I sense that you are not happy? according to your recent postings in the forums you are leaving Hubpages, then leave and take your unfounded and ridiculous accusations with you.
      Why tell people you are leaving anyway? just do it .....jimmy

5. paradigmsearch profile image59

"Internet giants including Yahoo, Google, Facebook and the Consumer Electronics Association have joined forces to oppose the legislation, which they say would give the government too much power to shut down Web sites accused of pirating or counterfeiting content."

What everyone is afraid of is the usual government incompetence when it comes to administering such a bill.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

2. sean kinn profile image59

Plus the two bills are the lazy way to fix a problem: They are mass punishment, in the sense that if law enforcement would get off it's lazy butt and figure out a way to prosecute plagiarizers, they could actually punish offenders - rather than punish innocent people. Anyone else agree?

6. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Well, I simply hope more people outside the US start platforms where we can write. I don't see why the whole world has to twist itself into knots because of one whinging national government.

1. pedrog profile image61
      pedrogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Under SOPA such platforms outside USA that are considered infringing the law will not be acessible to USA citizens.

7. pedrog profile image61
    pedrogposted 12 years ago

Good luck USA!!!

Freedom is not something that we earn and lasts for ever, it needs to be conquered every few ears, this is an opportunity you have to stand for your freedom, grab it!!!

8. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

Okay....I'm totally confused about this.
    Can't figure out if it's just a distraction the authorities are creating, or if it's just a conspiracy theory, or what.

9. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

The people in US congress don't get the unprecedented scale of how this affects work and copyright in .....the.... entire.....world.

If this law passes in the US, companies like the movie production houses and the music industry would have greater rights to get Internet Service Providers to shut down access to a website. To an ENTIRE website. Decided on almost a whim of these companies crying PIRATE!!!!!

Shut down or face court over (alleged) copyright infringements.

They would have power to shut you down, stop access to your work if they deemed it part of their copyright and they don't have to wait for a court order to do so.

Due to free trade and digital rights agreements the US carries alot of weight with treaty countries as well (Europe, Philippines, Australia, United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and several other countries). So that also means if you made a reference to a Warner Bros movie and your a UK resident. Would not stop Warner Bros US clambering to close down access to that UK based ISP with the foreign relations dept of the US asking the UK authorities.

This is power to shut down certain copyright activities on an unprecedented scale and complete and utter bullshit to us, the micro operators of valuable content.

Kangaroo_Jase, I agree with everything you said. See my post above, because I think that in some instances, the term "copyright" no longer exists due to the inherent nature of the Internet. In other words, I don't think that forwarding a hyperlink is a copyright violation, and if it is, they're going to have shut down the entire Internet to stop people from doing it. I think they're examining copyright issues with a dated mindset. I highly respect author and musician copyright, and I'm building a Hub [http://seankinn.hubpages.com/hub/Protect-IP-SOPA] to start detailing solutions. I already contacted my congressional reps to ask them to stop the two Acts, because I think they will further damage world economies, and they won't figure that out until after the fact. SK

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sean,

Its fine to forward on URL and a hyperlink for a website, otherwise half of Google would be shut down for search.

But if I come and grab a portion of one of your hubs and use it on one of my blogs, word for word, that is copyright infringement as well as plagiarism.

I agree, but I think Google believes that the term "copyright" no longer exists. They *want* people to forward stuff, because their ads are attached to web pages. The real problem may be deciding how to apply that same concept to movies and music, don't know ...

2. dannyhodge profile image72
          dannyhodgeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know this is incredibly late, but there is a case in which someone was arrested and fined hundreds of thousands for merely sharing a link to a pirating site.

10. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Make sure you send cash with the letter or your congressperson will just ignore you.

I think it's interesting that someone wants the ability to shut down social media web sites just prior to, and during, an American presidential election year. Social media is powerful stuff, as evidenced by Arab Spring, and so forth ...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)