The End of the Line

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

Having had insomnia for ten years, I have finally reached the point when I have stopped sleeping altogether.  I have not had one minute of sleep in the past five days.  Drugs do nothing.  Tonight I tooks 50mg of Seroquel, 7.5mg of zopiclone, 7.7 mg of mirtazapine and 10mg of diazepam.  All this is after four nights without sleep.  Not only are all of these drugs very powerful, but I am already exhausted from lack of sleep.  Yet, it is now 5.11am, and I have not had any sleep for another night.

I can fully understand why Michael Jackson wanted to be injected with anesthetic, as nothing was working on him, and we all know where that ended.  The doctors tell me that there is nothing that they can do for me, as I have tried every drug they have available.  Surely there must be an answer somewhere.

1. profile image49
      Jesus isnt happyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried warm milk?

1. profile image0
        Muldaniaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and camomile tea, and many other herbal stuff, as well as meditation, yoga, sound therapy, hypnosis, spiritual healing, exercise in the day, lavender, plus every over-the-counter sleep aid and sleeping pills prescribed by the doctors as well as every antidepressant, and anti-psychotic.  The doctors have all told me that there is nothing which can be done for me, and that they have tried everything they have.

Strangely, although it is now the fifth night without any sleep, I feel more awake with each day and with each sleeping pill.

1. profile image49

I had a bad experience with sleeping tablets. There was an occasion where I drove to a friends house, spoke gibberish to them for an hour then drove home and went back to bed, woke up the next day not knowing how I got to be sleeping on my bed fully dressed and not remembering any of it.

In fact, I didnt know anything that happened until a mate started asking me about the day, and I started remembering it as if it was a dream and I was confused as to how he know what I was dreaming.

I was asleep the whole time for that day. I still dont know how I drove in my sleep. Apparently my mate had to park the car because I left it in the middle of the road.

I wont touch sleeping tablets ever again because of that.

I'll tell you what helps me sleep though, caffeine.

1. profile image0

Caffeine is supposed to keep people awake.  Some people though react in the opposite way than is expected.

1. profile image49

Oh it makes you perk up of course, but after the high comes the low...

2. thesingernurse profile image73
      thesingernurseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you should see a NEUROLOGIST or some medical doctor that specializes in SLEEP PROBLEMS. That's a highly specialized training not all physicians have. There they would be able to monitor your brain's electrical activity and maybe could note and depict disturbances in your neural pathway which makes it so hard for you to sleep. It is something that you shouldn't delay. And please, ask for anyone, preferably a family member to accompany you because by this time I am sure you feel so weak. Just for your safety. Am not a doctor but based on your reported signs and symptoms in this question. I think you really need immediate and specialized medical attention.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, the chemical assistance angle has been covered, so here are just some random thoughts. Though not solutions themselves, maybe they will lead to one.

You're falling asleep for short periods of time, but don't realize it.

Drink yourself into a “coma”. Ask the doc about that idea first.

Thinking about things that matter keeps one awake. Thinking irrelevant, fantasy-scenario thoughts usually induces sleep.

Watch TV in bed. Sooner or later, you will have enough, rollover and go to sleep. Or fall asleep as is.

Combine exercising to exhaustion with the above.

I know these are pretty lame, but maybe they will lead to something.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Try self-hypnosis.

1. profile image0

Yes, I've tried that.  It does make me feel relaxed, but never makes me sleep.

3. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

My sympathies to you! This must be so exhausting and distressing.  I wish I knew of some sort of magic that could help immediately, but I don't. 

For the longer term, how are you at regulating your exposure to light and darkness?  Some people are especially sensitive to an overabundance of one or the other, and when they get too much of one or the other they can get really out of whack. 

It may be helpful (one more theory to try, but no promises, of course) to be sure that you experience total-and-I-do-mean-total darkness for 8-12 hours every day.

1. profile image0

I seem to spend most of my time in darkness.  Because I do not sleep, I spend time trying to relax in bed, and by the time I do get up and go out it is dark.  Especially in the winter months, I might see as little of one hour daylight per day.  I think I must be a vampire.

1. wyanjen profile image71
        wyanjenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too.

2. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"I think I must be a vampire." - LOL!!
        Believe me, I am not trying to do anything other than toss out ideas to try, so I hope I don't sound like I think I know more than I do know. And since wyanjen has experience with the same problem, she is probably the best one to listen to. 

But even so, let me suggest:  if you are seeing so little sunlight, could that be one factor in your problem - too much darkness, not enough light?  I know that exposure to sunlight helps to reset the body's inner clock, besides doing all kinds of other wonderful things (benefits to heart health, bone health, brain function, and more).  And people who don't get enough sunlight sometimes purchase special light boxes to help them balance their need for light and dark cycles.

1. capricornrising profile image60
          capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think this is an excellent suggestion.

2. wyanjen profile image71

I just saw your post as I was leaving -

You are right about sunlight. Just being outside in the daytime helps! For some people (not me, Ive tried this a few times) taking a melatonin supplement help regulate the day/night clock.

For severe problems tho, herbal supplements are like baby aspirin lol

Its time to pull out the big guns. I saw your other thread Muldania, so I got a little concerned.
          Not being pushy but really please, dont hurt yourself if thats where your thoughts are going. Go to hospital.

My record is only 4 days awake but Ive been there with the hallucinations and irrational thoughts that seem to be completely rational as you are having them. And, I apologize if Im making the wrong assumption about your two threads being up at the same time!
          smile

2. profile image49

Rabbit in a hat?

4. BlissfulWriter profile image71
    BlissfulWriterposted 12 years ago

Consider taking magnesium supplements.  Most doctors do not know this, because they know only drugs.

Both LiveStrong.com and Dr. Andrew Weil both talked about the importance of magnesium and calcium in regards to sleep...
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/28480 … -sleeping/
    and   
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02037/sleep-aid

In fact, most people are magnesium deficient and even healthy people with no symptom should be taking magnesium supplements.  I do.

Dr. Hymann says it is the most powerful relaxation mineral available in this YouTube video ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUWL1o2hSrs

Might also want to consider getting tested for vitamin or mineral deficiencies.

1. profile image0

Yes I take magnesium citrate every night. and other vitamins.

5. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 12 years ago

Ive got experience with this.

Especially since it is not helping, consider stopping the Seroquel. It is a dangerous drug.

Go to the hospital. You may feel alert and rational but you should not be making big decisions right now.
    Just explain to them why you are in trouble and that you are at the end of your rope. They wont turn you away if you are in danger.

Dont hurt yourself. There is an underlying cause, it just needs to be found.

Hang in there!

1. profile image0

Yes, Seroquel is a dangerous drug, and one which although it did help me to sleep for some months has now actually made the problem much worse.  I would advise anyone not to take it for insomnia.  I will have to slowly reduce my dosage over many months, as I have been taking it for so long.  I need something to replace it though.  I might as my doctor for seroxat, as this helped me to sleep many years ago.

I took Trazadone for awhile - knocked me right out cold. I didnt tolerate it too well so I stopped. But, it did help quite a lot with sleeping while I took it.

1. profile image0

that must be one drug I haven't tried, so will suggest it to my doctor.

Its not a sleeper, its for depression. But it packs a punch.
            http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-89-TRAZ … p;source=0

For a few years I also took Provigil - for narcolepsy. It help a LOT. Until it stopped working of course.

Well good luck, fellow sufferer. I got work in a few hours, so Im gonna try to get a little sleep. smile

6. capricornrising profile image60
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

Have you considered the possibility that all the substances you're putting in your body are part of the problem? You might try detoxing, after dumping all of those, stop worrying, get up and do something productive if you can't sleep - write, for example - to take your mind off your problem, and lower your stress.

I assume you've tried both Valerian Root and Melatonin, so I won't suggest them. And you've probably talked to a shrink. And gone to both the chiropractor and massage therapist. So I won't suggest those either.

When was the last time you had a good orgasm? They usually help me sleep well. The other thing that does it is an excellent workout and a hot shower afterwards.

I hope you find the solution!

7. Seek-n-Find profile image70
    Seek-n-Findposted 12 years ago

Do you have any other experiences that could be categorized as fear, worry, or other kinds of torment of the mind?  Asking to explore the root of the no-sleeping issue...

8. Donald Jayhan profile image60
    Donald Jayhanposted 12 years ago

God is the answer my friend. The perminent one..... Thats a door you have to open yourself, and let him guide you. It's hard for a mere man to guide someone with little to no hope. Your call.

1. davenmidtown profile image67
      davenmidtownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are many other sleep disorders besides insomnia... and many of them do not respond to sleep type drugs... white light therapy is an odd treatment but many people find it powerful. I would certainly contact a sleep disorder clinic and see if they have any advice.  A lot of people are just simply mis-diagnosed by their doctors with a blanket diagnosis such as insomnia, etc.

9. freefogging profile image59
    freefoggingposted 12 years ago

It is not natural for your body not to sleep. Sleep drugs do not always do the trick. Your body will eventually give up and sleep. But, before that happens, if I were you, I would make an appointment to see your health care provider...there are many treatments out there for insomnia that your health care provider can do for you. Good luck.

As a sufferer of insomnia myself, I know how discouraging it can be to not be able to sleep. Please be careful with the sleep drugs out there as some of them can be very dangerous.

10. freefogging profile image59
    freefoggingposted 12 years ago

Besides sleep medications, there is also meditation, massage therapy and hypnosis...among others..see your health care provider for further help.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)