Things I've learned while walking

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

Small foot pain goes away. Blisters don't.

People who drive toward with the sun bouncing off their windshield think you can see them and will later complain that you were unfriendly.

People who drive toward you when the sun is in your eyes think the same thing, so smile at everybody.  It will piss off the people who don't like you and make the others either happy or confused, so it's all good.

People with smelly trucks or smelly motorbikes have no idea how noxious they are.  They also don't understand why you don't want them to stop to talk to you while their exhaust poisons you.

Always walk facing traffic.  Always.

Smile at everyone but give people with dogs a wide berth.  If it's dark and sparsely populated, give women a wide berth too as you just might be making them nervous.

Cringing from the cold makes it colder.  Stick out your chest and point your chin defiantly at the wind.  Stare down the cold!

What else?

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

THANK YOU!

If I may add: if it is possible to cross the street and walk on the other side, do that rather than walking directly behind the woman. If you can, walk briskly so you can pass her and continue on your way. Don't keep looking at her while passing her. Please do not try to start a conversation; a dark empty street is just not the right place for being sociable.

Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I like to make plenty of noise when coming up behind anyone and especially a woman.  I walk quickly so I can come up on them fast.  I'll whistle a tune, kick up some dirt, and yes, cross the street if it is safe.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Carry a stick in case there are stray dogs that might bite you.

2. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

Always carry your wallet and a toothbrush when out walking. Once you regain your sense of freedom you may not want to return to where you set out from.

3. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Sadly, that there is a lot more litter in this world than I'm comfortable with.  I always carry a bag with me to collect what I can...  You can't believe what I've found out in the wild. hmm

Ahh, that's a good one!

4. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 12 years ago

Walking is more fun if there's another person walking with ya.

True.  Years back, my wife and I walked five miles or more every night after dinner, good weather or bad. It was our adventure, it was time together to hold hands and talk. Those were some of the best times of our life.

Sadly, she can't walk with me any more. She's in too much pain.  I therefore don't go out as often or for as long because I feel both lonely and guilty without her.  I try to fit it in when she's busy with friends or off at her doctors.

I miss walking with her and she misses it too.  We talk about it sometimes, but that's hard too.  The memories are good but knowing we are denied them now is painful.

1. profile image0

I'm sorry to hear that.  It must've been nice to walk together. 
        My husband won't walk with me.  He doesn't know what he's missing.  Well, he would walk, he says, if we first drove to some big park that has an official walking path.  I say that defeats the purpose and takes away some of the fun.  But anyway.  I walk with a lady/neighbor across the street.  We walk to the middle of town, Post Office, etc., and around the block.  Gets us outta the house and exercises our various limbs (her limited hip and my limited-motion R.A.-stiff legs and arms.)

This is a neat thread.  Walking is good for people.  We do refrain from doing the "power walk" though.  Have you ever seen anyone do that?  It's comical.  Besides, we'd probably end up on our rears if we tried it. ha.

It is a neat thread.  Look, you and I, mortal enemies.. well no, not that, but certainly often holding strongly opposed opinions, here we are with something in common that we can share.

It's nice.  Pretend that I just passed by you and your friend, giving you wide berth of course, but waved and smiled hello.  We're sharing.

And yeah, your husband is missing out.  Tell him that nasty atheist from HubPages said so :-)

1. profile image0

lol will do. wink

Just waving HI as you said. smile

2. rmcrayne profile image91
          rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're right, it is very comical looking. I always thought it looked like there would be additional wear & tear on the hips.  That's a good reason not to do it (besides having to get over "the world doesn't revolve around me" and feeling silly doing it).

5. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Beware of puddles, not because you will step in them but because cars will be driven through them and the drivers will delight in soaking you or be oblivious to the fact that they have done so.

Ooh, another good one!

6. Miss M profile image59
    Miss Mposted 12 years ago

The sky is quite beautiful...

7. 2uesday profile image65

Up hill is harder work than down hill.

8. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

Take your cell phone. Probably more for women than men, but it's best to let someone know when you leave and when you will probably be back (just in case) - especially if walking at night.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

it is ok to look down, you might never know what you gonna get, a treasure perhaps. I remember when I was a kid and I saw a 100 bill on the pavement, I gave it to my mom.

10. MPG Narratives profile image61
    MPG Narrativesposted 12 years ago

I walk with a friend every Sunday morning, it's our time to chat and solve the problems of the world, lol. We hate when other people walk to close to us and usually speed up or walk across the road. It's strange but it feels like they are invading our personal space.

I also walk my dog during the week and have doggy bags with me and occasionally (I know this may sound gross) I pick up other dogs poop as well if it's close to Sassie's. I really hate dog owners who don't clean up after their own dogs! sad

11. TheTrueYou profile image39
    TheTrueYouposted 12 years ago

You can learn a lot about yourself when walking a short distance.

12. Repairguy47 profile image60
    Repairguy47posted 12 years ago

I have learned that you should always be looking down while walking in the woods, rattlesnakes are sometimes very quiet.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But you may walk into a giant spider web with a banana spider waiting quietly - unless your son yells, Mom, stop!   I'm glad he was with me on that adventurous walk through the woods in back of our property.   I love to walk, it's a simple, healthy pleasure.

I had to look up banana spider.  Large, generally harmless.. I hate when they say "generally", don't you?

2. Repairguy47 profile image60
        Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can deal with the spider, that snake is a little more serious.

13. 2uesday profile image65

I have also learned that when you are trying to walk through mud or on ice if you start to slip there is no elegant way to go.

Sure you can.. well, maybe not :-)

14. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Take a small child with you if possible.

They will love walking with you, talking and just being with you.

They also have a different view of the world, both physically and mentally.  When was the last time you stopped to closely examine an ant?  Or peer into a curb drain?  When did you last view the world from kneecap height?  When was the last time you laughed at a rock going PLOOSH! in the creek?

It is educational and very entertaining.

Good idea..  though make sure you don't just grab a random child.  People tend to react badly to that..

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  So true, so true.  Better make it one of your own.

15. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 12 years ago

I walk my two dogs nearly every day (they are walked separately).  These days, I am working on canine obedience, so I am very conscious of how well my dog is heeling. I probably do miss some things in my environment.

Walking will really never be the "fun" it once was until I have little robot dogs that heel perfectly and ignore other dogs.

I was trying to vary the speed last year with my toy poodle (I really tried to race walk with her), and I tripped on a crack in the sidewalk.  Fortunately, I fell forward, and braced my fall on the grass with my palms.  I let go of the leash automatically, but my poodle did not run off.

Cell phones are good to take on a walk.  But I don't always do that.  I carry a garage door opener, dog waste bags, kleenex, and a container of pepper spray.  Sometimes I have a radio with me!

Somewhere I still have a small bottle with a screw-off cap, in which you can secrete your name, address, and phone number.  It's on a cord you wear around your neck.

1. rmcrayne profile image91
      rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Secrete your name, address, & phone number?!  How does that work?

Alternate, less common, but certainly acceptable meaning - hide, conceal.

16. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

I used to get terrible pain in my feet, until taking up walking, and yes, I agree it does make the pain disappear.

17. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years ago

Feeling the sensation of movement is good. I have Fibromyalgia so am always achy. However, I can turn that to advantage when I walk, as my achy muscles and tight tendons tell me where I need to stretch. Walking stretches both, and it lubricates joints. Giving a reminder of those good things helps with the positive feelings of walking.

18. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

If a woman stops and speaks to you on the street and says you are attractive, the chances are good that she is a prostitute.

For ordinary people, of course.  Not for people like you and me, though.  More likely to be a heiress or a princess looking for a suitable mate..

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

money or our crown jewels.. they always want something

19. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 12 years ago

I learned that there are other people out there in the world besides the ones that are sitting in front of the computer.

I really enjoy walking.  Every day is a new day, and the boring little park I go to looks different every day.

20. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 12 years ago

always remember to stop and smell the roses!

times to go walking:  when the sun is rising
    when the moon is rising
    when you need to think
    when you need to not think
    when there is just a little rain
    when your bff wants to take a walk
    when your dog wants to take a walk
    when you want to look at something besides the computer screen
    when you want to breath some fresh air
    when you're trying to think of the next line of that poem
    when you're out of gas
    when you need to go get a really good espresso

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)