What is it with men and Newt??

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (38 posts)
  1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I don't get it. Tonight, hubby and I had dinner with friends, and politics came up. I'm a moderate Republican, hubby is a far right Republican, Sandy is a northern liberal Democrat, and Steve is a northern Independent who supported Obama. The two men simply can't understand why we women can't see that Newt would make the best president. What are they smoking??

After dinner, I went to a local private club, and the same topic came up. Every man at the table (Rs and Is)thought Newt would make a great POTUS, while all the women said they hated Newt. What am I missing??

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Newt? Really?

The guy wants to send your children off to war, but never went himself; he cried because he didn't get to sit in the big-boy section of the airplane; he's married numerous women - one was his high school geometry teacher who he had apparently been banging - yet he espouses 'family values'; when he's asked a question at a debate, he doesn't answer it, he just says that the media is liberal...

... what's there to like? He's sub-human.

1. habee profile image91
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I sure have gained a new respect for Ron Paul for not jumping on the Romney-bashing train. Mitt should choose him for VP!

I think Paul should pick Romney for VP.

1. mel22 profile image61
            mel22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

either way, it would make a heck of a ruckus and get all possible GOP votes from those who would not have considered the other candidate without the other running paralell

2. habee profile image91

I knew you were gonna say that, Evan! lol

Honestly, though, Ron Paul should pick Romney because it'll give him "Flip-Flop" street credit.

People who have heard that Ron Paul doesn't take kick-backs will be more likely to elect him when they see that Romney is his VP.

2. fpherj48 profile image61
      fpherj48posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Habee! No doubt I'm a woman....hubby & I are both Independents...he leans left, I lean right, but we both VOTE OUR CONSCIENCE/THE BEST MAN...as opposed to party. I would not describe Newt as a manly-man under any circumstances.  That's neither here nor there.  The adjectives I would use for Newt can be said privately and quietly only....I can honestly tell you that not a soul in our circle (socially, professionally and/or politically) has given a positive nod toward Newt other than the fact that he's an "intellectual." We hear of no one actually praising, pulling for him or supporting him.  The man in our neck of the woods this month is Mitt.  There's also been a surprising surge for Paul. I'm reserving comment myself. It would be unfair of me to take a stand at this point in time.  I can't explain the Newt (male) fans from your part of the country, but if I'm following as well as I believe I am,& getting my info from valid sources.....I would say Newt is not at all popular in most other areas. For the first time in my voting history, I admit to being on the edge of "frightened."  Never felt this EMPTY before.  Sorry my reply is so lengthy....like I said at the start..."I'm a woman" lol...all of your replies should prove to be very interesting.  Thanks for the question, Habee.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're not missing anything. Newt would make a horrible president. He lacks character, the most important qualification as exemplified by Harry Truman. Moreover, Newt was the original fomenter of extreme partisanship. If you worry about the current situation in Congress, he's not your man.

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that's the main part of his appeal to a certain type of voter, for whom politics is sport. (You can tell them from people who are serious by the vapidity of their arguments)

4. Alexander Mark profile image80
      Alexander Markposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's the emotional appeal. I think Huckabee might have been a hit with the ladies and maybe now Santorum, but Newt comes across as a man's man because he's confident and completely unwavering in his political stance. This seems to erase any mistakes he has made - and in the male world, it's okay to forget past indiscretions if you appear to have completely made a turn around. Newt's bluster does this, but I am one man who hates that guy.

Not only do I hate his checkered past, but he's a bulldozer when it comes to individual rights VS national security and has absolutely no desire to honor the principles of the Constitution and the principles that this country was founded on. In short, he is like a soldier that achieves his goals by killing half his squad mates in the process.

Trouble is, we do need someone strong, but with some self awareness to know when to throttle up and when to throttle back. Santorum seems a little too nice, but like Obama, if he gets into office, his hair will turn gray and he'll step up to the plate - and I'd rather have Santorum do that than Mitt!

5. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I haven't supported Gingrich at all ever and I am as conservative as they come.  He is a media whore.  He is not firm, at all, on conservative ideas, he waves his Catholicism around like a banner, he is easily rolled on things like "Global Warming,"  he is more than willing to place his "conservatism" aside for personal gain - monetary or perceived.

If we are to talk about his personal life - how is he any different than John Kerry, John Edwards, Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy?  The only Democrat of any real public note who hasn't screwed around seems to be Jimmy Carter and he pronounces nuclear just like "W" so he must be an idiot.

1. habee profile image91

Good to know at least one conservative man sees through Newt for the media "ho" he is! lol

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Considering who that person is and what the rest of his political views are, I almost think that's really an endorsement - that is, being disliked by that hubber is probably good reason to like Newt.

1. habee profile image91

Kinda how I feel about Palin and Romney. lol

2. uncorrectedvision profile image60

You should love Newt - he turned the election in New York 26 into a defeat for Republicans.  Sounds like your kind of guy.

6. Repairguy47 profile image60
      Repairguy47posted 12 years agoin reply to this

What is a moderate republican? I think what you mean to say is you are a democrat.

1. habee profile image91

Nope. I don't believe in big government like the Dems. I'm also pro-second amendment and for states' rights. I'm moderate on social issues, like gay rights. I don't care what folks do in their bedrooms, as long as it doesn't harm anyone.

7. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

After the last week, with his slash and burn campaign, I'm pretty sure Newt is on the payroll of the Democrats.
      No one really knows why he got in, but I'm guessing when he sat with Pelosi, he got a big fat retainer to attack Romney and Paul.
      He couldn't debate Obama, he agrees with many of Obama's policies.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

The level of willful ignorance in this country is presently at it's highest ever? lol

1. habee profile image91

Gosh, Ray, I think I have to agree with you!

3. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 12 years ago

Smug confidence.

1. habee profile image91

Has Newt put a spell on them? Is it because he's a "manly man"?? lol

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol I think he has the confidence that lots of men (esp conservatives) respect in their leader (never mind that that confidence is built on nothing). I think that was the reason Perry was so popular until that confidence faltered in the debates.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

I am the manliest of men and I know Newt would be a disaster in the White House.  Are you sure these other men you speak of are "all man".

5. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

You REALLY don't know that men are generally less clueful than women?

6. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

I think men have an easier time dismissing Newt's personal failings than women. Cheating on his first two wives and filing for a divorce from one while she had cancer (and continuing to lie about it and say she was the one who wanted the divorce) is something that women aren't as likely to forgive or forget. Republican men just remember him as the guy who always opposed Bill Clinton.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60

And yet he shares so many of Clinton's attributes, one must wonder why Newt is still a Republican.

7. Doc Snow profile image88
    Doc Snowposted 12 years ago

Besides, this man would like to point out that Newt is now officially a 'flip-flopper.'

(Apparently that is nearly a mortal sin--or was, at least, for John Kerry.) ;-)

8. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 12 years ago

You know, I can sorta understand why Hubby likes Newt, but in no way can I see anything that former Obama-supporter (and from "up North") Steve would find attractive in such an odious man as Newt. I honestly think my husband just wants to see Newt debate Obama. I swear, I think we're going to get a divorce over this GOP primary! lol

9. profile image0
    msorenssonposted 12 years ago

Oh dear..
    I am afraid I am not educated enough on both politics and the candidates..I did enjoy reading the posts..What candidness..I love it.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Politics has become so much like fairy tale or ugly show business. If I ignored for a long enough time, the collective conscious people's will get sick and tired enough to change things for a better balance. Power to the People YAHOOOO!

10. profile image0
    oldandwiseposted 12 years ago

I think most men realize, that Romney has no idea what the needs and wants of the average American is. I'll go further to say, most don't like Newt, but at least they know what they're getting for their votes. Romney is a silver spooned person who never got his hands dirty. Other then to leverage buy, bankrupt and reap the rewards of the unsuspecting working man and women. Then leave the tax payers with the government backed pensions owed to the workers.

11. secularist10 profile image59
    secularist10posted 12 years ago

Newt Gingrich is a liar, a thief and an adulterer. It's one thing to have "youthful indiscretions," but Newt has been this way for years into his current life.

The biggest problem is that he is a basically imperious personality. Everything is about him. He believes he is infallible, and is God's gift to America.

Hence his desire to take federal judges to task when he personally disagrees with them. I think that proposal is the closest thing to fascism/ dictatorship this country has seen in a very long time.

Newt is, in a way, the Mike "Situation" of American politics. His self-confidence is delusional. He has no shame. But it gets him results. Perhaps it is this Nietzschean "superman" quality that attracts some men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Übermensch

12. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 12 years ago

Habee...I understand it as I wrestle with it myself. I am a conservative and tend to vote Republican most of the time. On the one hand, we hear that Newt is very intelligent and has a wealth of experience. On the other hand, I see a side of Newt that says he still has quite and ego and can be a loose cannon properly riled. At that point, he does not understand the limitations of his intelligence and begins to work on instinct.  The other thing that eats at me is that Newt, like McCain, is old news. Not taking anything aways from either one...I respect both of them in some way. But, I think McCain was the nominee for the Republicans in 2008 because too many in the establishment felt that it was his turn.  Newt strikes me the same way but more like something that was reincarnated from the early 90's.

In some ways, and I think this may be true of his husband and other conservatives, we lack a candidate who fits our needs.  Paul is lost in the weeds on foreign policy.  Perry, as much as I like him as a governor in Texas, cannot seem to get through a week with the media citing some stumble of stupidity.  Huntsman...forget about it.  That leaves me with Santorium. Unfortunately, the media is not willing to give the guy enough fact time to become a viable consideration. So, even if I were to back him I am very afraid that my only choice will come down to Romney.  I will vote for Romney over Obama but I don't see him as the best choice to carry the conservative banner in 2012. WB

13. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 12 years ago

electoral college strategy might be to pick up an iffy state such as Pennsylvania with a popular person from the state such as Santorum... Cali goes donkey every year. Texas goes elephant. that leaves a few large delegate swing states such as florida, Penn, to put in a VP that could win a big needed state.. i think thats why santorum had a showing originally. It was spotlight for a possible VP run in my opinion ( although I don't particularly seem to agree with him myself it may just be GOP strategy.)

14. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 12 years ago

wait.. Texas goes donkey sometimes too...at least in Juarez.. or so I hear

1. habee profile image91

eeewwwwwww. lol lol lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)