Does a candidate's religion matter ? Should it?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 12 years ago
    1. Evan G Rogers profile image62
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it's pointless to have a discussion, because the electorate ultimately decides if something is important or not.

Does it matter? I have no idea. Neither does anyone else. It can only matter to the person casting the vote.

To imagine - or infer, as this post might - that someone can decide is a fallacy.

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

of course not.. as long and the are Christian what does it matter?  smile

Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You mean, as long as the candidate is a fundamentalist, evangelical Christian? Or not a fundamentalist, evangelical Christian, as the case may be. Or a Libertarian.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fundamentalist, evangelical Christian?

They are still around?

No silly.. Greek Orthodox

3. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

The religion of a candidate does not in itself matter.  It is only if the candidate plans to use their religion to inform their policy, or as a reason to discriminate against any group in society, that it should become an issue.  Their religion should be a private affair, and not something they bring into their politics.

Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree that a candidate's religion should not matter unless he or she allows controversial religious views to bias public policies. George Bush allowed conservative Christian fundamentalists to influence government science policy and public policy in other areas as well.

Watching the GOP moderates catering to the religious right in Iowa is a sorry spectacle.

4. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

There are two things that I can think of that could be said to "matter" on the subject of a candidate's religion. 

The first is whether that individual's religion makes them more rigid and controlling or whether it makes them more compassionate and tolerant, more of a servant of the people.  That's not a factor of the specific religion as much as it is a factor of how it works out in the person's life.

The other issue is how the candidate communicates anything to do with their religion.  It's pretty clear that the topic has become a tool of manipulation in the election process, and that leads me to believe that the ones who talk about their religion the most are probably the most manipulative. 

In other words, I believe there are things that can be learned about a person's character from the way they allow their private faith or world-view to be a topic of discussion, and that window into their character can be helpful in discovering more about the candidate. 

Should voters even ask the question? If they don't know much about the candidate's position and voting record, some people might make the assumption that knowing the candidate's religion would help fill in the blanks - but that would be an incorrect assumption, in my opinion.

5. ptosis profile image67
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

Yes - if ultra religious and want to establish a theocracy - thus destroying the consitution. Nope not talking about Muslims - but Mormons.

http://www.thepropheticyears.com/wordpr … erica.html

"Under cover of the national and international crisis, the Mormon President of the United States acts boldly and decisively to assume dictatorial powers. With the help of The Brethren and Mormons everywhere, he appears to save America and becomes a national hero. At this time he is made Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Mormon Kingdom of God, while still President of the United States. There is no provision in the Constitution to prevent this."
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6028695_f248.jpg

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

no it shouldn't matter...it shouldn't be spoken about either - it's none of anyone's business really...i thought voting in polythicks was supposed to be based on the person's political platform - the platform speaks volumes to voters...but then again it is polythicks...the platform could shift as soon as they are elected...

7. profile image57
    WhoBeYouBeposted 12 years ago

Why shouldn't it?

I want someone in the office that holds my morals and values.

So yes it does and it should.

But if it was that bad, then Romney would not have a snowballs chance in hell.

Mormons are not really what many think of as christians... so.

8. A Troubled Man profile image59
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

Honesty, respect and intelligence are three characteristics often missing from those who have religion, not to mention morals and ethics, hence they would all play a big part in driving any political candidates decision making process.

9. Perspycacious profile image63
    Perspycaciousposted 12 years ago

Does a candidate's religion matter? It matters to me if they say the believe in a particular religion (whatever it may be) and then show themselves to be hypocrites by not practicing what they say they believe.  If I, a voter, believe that the principles I believe in are principles I want to be governed by and would willingly sacrifice my life to uphold, then I will vote for a person who most closely shares and exemplifies that same standard and same willingness. It is not the religion that matters.  It is the candidate's standards and performance of those standards that matters to me. For example, if a candidate claims to be a Christian, but cheats on his wife, doesn't even try to pay an honest tithe, is not truthful, and is not honest in his dealings with others, then that candidate is not one I would ever vote to be my President, Senator, Representative, or any lower office....no matter what they try to tell me they are going to swear an oath to do for me and this country!

10. AmberLeeCollins profile image41
    AmberLeeCollinsposted 12 years ago

No it should not!

1. mom101 profile image60
      mom101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes it matters. And yes it should.

some religions are way out there and dangerous. anyone who is sincere in their faith, will uphold it over anything else. They will use its base to base the decisons they will be facing. .....................................

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's what we are afraid of.

I hate all this religious posturing by politicians.  I know it's mostly show for the faithful, but what if they really mean it?  I don't want some idiot getting Israel into a war because he thinks it will help bring Jesus back.

I wouldnt go that far.  IF there was something I could do or something I could say, I'd do it if I KNEW it would bring Jesus back.

Now, with that said,  with either of the two most likely to end up running, we are in trouble either way. That is scary.  Well, it a body took the time to think things through, they would come to the same conclusion.

Although I don't know this for CERTAIN, i don't hardly think Jesus will make His return on a starship/spaceship................I am Certain, at the moment anyway, that old outdated piece of paper called our Constitution still has merit.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
            Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, non Christian President has ever been elected in American and North American's  history. Will I see it in my lifetime,? no. Yes it dose matter to christian, not to me, I prefer spiritual age and people power.

That would be my  preference as  well

2. Pcunix profile image90

Unfortunately, the Constitution doesn't prevent us from starting wars.

It really bothers me that you would destroy human life for a delusion.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
              Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Constitution would prevent wars if they used it honestly, wail Christianity is use like a tool smoke screen to say my God is better than your God.

3. Pcunix profile image90

As I don't think mom101 has any nuclear weapons or the political influence to provoke a war, I'm not too worried about her.

However, it really does bother me that in parts of this country we do elect people with the same feelings or even worse: she said KNEW and emphasized it; some other person might go for "I'm pretty confident".

I don't know what the answer is to extreme religious belief.  Intelligent people recognize that while they LIKE believing this stuff, it still just might all be hokey, so I think they'd stop short of this kind of idiocy.  Unfortunately, far too many do not understand that and they really do scare me.  We have some of them here, obviously, and it scares me to think that they will vote for people who share their certainty.

Pcunix, I'm pretty confident would not have fit  my thought.

Here it is, drawn out, for those that did not understand.

I said that if there was an act i could do or words that i could speak, then, i would do it if i KNEW without a shadow of a doubt it would bring Jesus back, then yes, I would do it.

Nothing was mentioned that I would start a war with anyone in anyway. That, my friend, does go against my beliefs. Harm no one.

My Creator KNOWS I am incapable of hurting anyone, and therefore, my thought patterns do not stem from harmful actions.

Though I fear no person, this world that we live in, is becoming unsafe to say the least.

My concern is, if we continue the pattern, situations are going to get worse.

While this is the United States and we hold our arms out to those that want to improve their lives, those that come here should carry be carefully vetted and limits need to be put on the amount of money sent back home.

I also believe that if they come here, they need to apply for citizenship in our country. Dual citizenship should not be allowed. It causes to many heartaches of the individuals who fall in love and are allowed to marry ones that come here only to learn that they have wives/husbands back home and that the income from most of their jobs will be going back home to support family there instead of supporting the new family they have here. This is not right. Here in the USA, I do not know of one city in any state that permits one to have more than one husband or one wife.

2. phillippeengel profile image82
        phillippeengelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If the candidate is too extreme about his religion's doctrines and he win in the elections, then I think that the government will be seen as tyrannical.

11. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 12 years ago

I think it definitely does matter about a candidate's religion.  How would you like to have a president who's religion said, people over 30 must die.  Or men over 20 should have their penises cut off.  How many people do you think would vote for that?  And if they did get elected, would you be happy with those kinds of policies?
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3861370_f248.jpg

1. Evan G Rogers profile image62
      Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A president who is a fanatical religious nut job wouldn't be able to pass a law regarding religion whatsoever, or start a war on religious terms, or prosecute religious laws at all

... if we followed the Constitution

Big word, if.

12. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago
  13. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 12 years ago

There are a few ways to look at it.

First, you can partially determine a person's sincerity by the correlation between their religious beliefs and their political views. If a candidate acts politically different than their personal beliefs, you can be fairly certain they are simply playing the game. If their political actions are in line with their beliefs, kudos for them.

That aside, if a person follows a religion that you don't agree with, you should expect there to be ideological differences between the two of you. That's simple to look at as well, and I wouldn't blame a person's religion for their beliefs, I would just say I don't agree with their beliefs.

Now, if someone belongs to a radical religion that preaches revolution, slavery, etc... then you could say that their religion matters as far as it affects their views.

As to Romney and Mormons, I don't know of anything in Mormon(which is a Christian faith) teachings that would scare me in a president.

14. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

How in the heck did religion get to be such a big deal for POTUS and only POTUS?
    Notice that it doesn't matter at any level below POTUS.
    I don't even know what religion my senators or congresswoman are.
    DO you?
    Perhaps we should be screening our SCOTUS nominees for religious bias.
    Because that's ultimately what's behind this sick preoccupation.
    Fear that the president will (or will not) make policy decisions based on his/her religious affiliation.

And speaking of religious influence, anyone checked into the PACS funding Romney?

1. steveamy profile image62
      steveamyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

point well taken

2. Bronterae profile image61
      Bronteraeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If the speaker of the house or your state governor was muslim, you know it would be news.  This country's reps are caths, jews and protestants and probably a small minority of others.  If a wave of any other denomination took over we could be in trouble.  Our faith is what started this country and the principles that were taught to those groups are important.  That is why we relax and take for granted too much.  There is rampant corruption in government in the form of favors.  Are ethics are falling apart!  We can't trust any of our leaders anymore and that's a sad statement.  If it weren't for the free media we would have no idea how bad it is. 

That said, anyone who thinks you can hear God (who lives on the planet Kolob) through a stone in your hat is bananas.  How can this guy make wise choices?   I could give you more examples but suffice to say thats not the weirdest stuff they believe.

And there is some important difference between those who hear a god through a stone in their hat and those who "feel" a god in their hearts?

When we have emergency situations, I don't want idiots who want to  go "pray on it".  I want smart people who think things through and act.

Do you really think anyone in politics would admit they are going to pray when faced with major decisions?

Do you really think anyone in politics would admit they had prayed for direction to help make decisions that lie ahead of them?

Yes.  Bush said he prayed over whether to start a war with Iraq.  The idiot Santorum has regular prayer meetings with other right wing religious congress critters.  I bet Perry has made similar statements.

1. Bronterae profile image61
              Bronteraeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe there is a God, Jesus, and I'm glad they pray to him, but I also think God gave us a brain and the ability to reason and the responsibility to do right! 
              So I do think it makes a difference whether you believe the 40+ people who wrote THE bible for no profit or the one crazy guy who made up a religion using someone's (a Christian pastor's) FICTION novel to write a new Bible.  There is plenty of proof he plagerized the book of Mormon and lied about it.   
              According to the book of mormon the american indian is a descendent of the Jews from Europe who were able to slaughter the original mormons(who were also indians).  Please.  The book is filled with nonsense.  Jesus was not a polygamist!

1. OLYHOOCH profile image60
                OLYHOOCHposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well now, Religion. Let's go back to, JFK. He was a, Catholic. Boy, Did everybody hit the roof on that.

Well, he won, and, he had a BACKBONE, as WE, found out in the Cuban crises.

In the last Election, 2008, we had a Mormon running. You made a big deal out of it then.

Now, it is 2012. Once again, a Mormon is running and you are doing the very same thing once again. In my opinion, Religion should have no bearing on who you Vote in.

Who out here will stand up and say, We/The People, have been ASLEEP, for the last 50 years.

I will.

Who put these leaders in office.

WE did.

How did WE get in this mess WE are in today. You can put the Blam on anybody you think or wan't.

The real blam lays on, US/WE THE PEOPLE.

How do WE get out of this Mess?

WE/THE PEOPLE, get us out.

It is time WE put the Blame, where the Blame goes, and stop Blaming those WE put there to do the job.

If WE, don't wake up now, 2012, then you just keep SLEEPING.

Today, there is a BIG number of US, that are, AWAKE.

Are YOU one of them?

OLY, ( NO HUB, YET, LOL.)

15. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

I hope I live to see the day when we have a Buddhist as president.
    S/he would be a lover, not a warmonger.
    Oh, wait.
    Take a look at the countries with the biggest Buddhist populations!
    Never mind.
    http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/his … tatt10.htm

16. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

You want a national leader who has some personal ethics or backbone or keel or sense of right and wrong. Religion is one of the contributors to one's personal ethics.

Really this is a code question about Romney being a LDS - does it matter?

I have never been interested enough in the LDS to spend time studying their beliefs. Can someone come up with a scenario where the President being LDS would cause him to make a wrong decision?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)