HUB Pages Is At It Again!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (62 posts)
  1. profile image56
    Scouritposted 12 years ago

My Take on Hub Pages.   It's alright for them to take our content and just add whatever type of adds they want. Why? Because when someone reads ""our content"" and clicks on one of these adds, Hub Pages makes money. Yes you say, they share it with us. The Truth! Hub Pages get paid between .50 to 1.50 per add when someone clicks on it, what do you get? Your Right, Penny's!
    But If you try to put a link back to your blog or a website you are making money from; then they want to censor our content and claim it's too commercialized. Really I put two links back to my website on two world and that's commercialized..BS I call it censorship because someone might use that link and purchase something from my site and Hub Pages doesn't get apart of the profits, so they threaten to unpublished the article if I don't remove the links...again BS.
    A true story, I had an article that had two links pointing back to my web store. This article has been published for over a month, but only recently started to be reviewed and these readers were clicking the links. As a result, now Hub Pages unpublished the article and will not republish until I remove the links. It was okay for the links to be in the copy until reads started to click the links (Which HB tracks) now they want them remove. What a Form of Censorship by the find forks that claim they protect it>>>>

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would be quite interesting to see your evidence that HP is keeping $ per ad click while giving hubbers pennies.  Particularly as they have stated over and over that 100% of ALL income from 60% of the visitors (assigned on a random basis) is yours.

The truth?  I don't think you would know the truth of this if it rose up and bit you.

It would also be interesting to see any evidence that HP is tracking clicks to outside sites and moderating hubs as a result.  While I have little doubt that they could I would see no reason for doing it.  Yes, they obviously track ad clicks, but clicks to an outside, no-income earning site?  I doubt it.

1. K9keystrokes profile image85
        K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image61
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am making pennies because I simply don't get ad clicks . You don't get ad clicks, you don't make money. I do get money from the HP ad program and that seems to go up all the time as long as I continue to publish on a regular basis. If you want to make real money from Hubpages, you have to do one of two things:
        1) either have patience to build up a reputation  and a  huge number of hubs (say, 300 plus)  on the types of topics where people will click on ads or
        2) be in a country where the American dollar is worth a lot of money because of the exchange rate of currency. Here in Canada, $1 American is $1 Canadian. In a place like China, $1 American is a large amount of money.

This is not  a scam site. It is a site that requires patience.

3. dipless profile image67
        diplessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said, it would make no commercial sense to do what you are suggesting, the time to monitor and moderate this would make it more expensive than not doing anything about it. As for the income, maybe people just aren't clicking your ads!

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

You can post links in your profile.

From the FAQ:

11.My Hub was moderated as overly promotional; what does that mean?

Purely promotional offers and Hubs designed only to promote other sites or businesses are not allowed. In particular, the following actions are likely to get your Hubs identified as overly promotional:
    •including more than 2 links to any one domain
    •linking to the same domain in the body of the text AND in an RSS feed
    •short "teasers" with links to "read more" at another site
    •linking to sites/pages/Hubs that are unrelated to your Hub's topic
    •including links to a page that contains largely the same content as your Hub

Please note that promotional links are links that you have any interest in promoting (your blog, your Website, affiliate offers, etc.). Links to well-known Web resources which you don't have any personal interest in (like Wikipedia, news sites, encyclopedias, open directories, etc.) are exempt from this limitation.

http://hubpages.com/faq/

1. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

3. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 12 years ago

And make sure you call your Congressman to make sure no laws get passed that punishes sites for stealing our work.

I wonder how HP would feel if they got a form letter asking for generic changes. The site is taken down until such changes are made and reviewed by a moderator. If it does happen, HP would know how the writers feel. If they hate the Stop Online Piracy Act, they should know the writers have been living under that law here for a while now. For writers, HP is the government.

And I never got to vote.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Luckily for us we can easily leave the HP "government" behind and become a citizen of a different site all together.

+1

2. Ehtesham12 profile image39
        Ehtesham12posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said.Count me also

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No one is forcing you to be a member of this site.  Choosing to participate in a website run by a privately-held company is voting "yes" for that company.  If you want to change your vote, you know what to do.

+1

2. melbel profile image95
        melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. profile image56

Good Point...and yes I can vote not to write, but than where's ithe fun in that. Hub Pages claims to support the writer on one hand, yet censor our writing's on the other hand when there no money in it for them, Okay whatever.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Join Blogger - and put your hubs there.

I do blogger, and it's a great site.  If I felt like you do ( I do NOT) - then I'd simply take down all of my hubs and move them to either blogger or Info Barrel.

But I'd do it, and then I'd post a forum post ....in that order.

6. profile image56

The big deal about all of this is...I have only been on HP for 6 weeks and during this time I have written 5 Hubs...I truly enjoy writing about my passion....These Hubs are informative in nature and each of them have a link pointing back to my site....These hubs are not written just to promote....if so the content would read like the frot of a Kellogg cereal box.  Yet one article starts to drive traffic to the site and now HP wants to un-publish all the Hubs.... HP can add two four column ads on my content, and I add one or two links and that's commercialized....BS

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They way you explained it, the problem likely wasn't with one or two links, but the fact that every hub lead to your personal site.  It makes your account over-promotional... not your hubs.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Place the links on your Profile and link to your profile through your hubs?

((((To read more of my writing))))profile link?

I do not think this will cause any problems as far as I know.  Perhaps others could verify or correct my advice?

7. profile image56

Wilderness......I know the truth.....Let me inform you! The next time you write a hub...write down the URL to your new hub...now go to statcounter.com sign up for an account. Sign in and add a new project...input the URL to the new Hub you just finished writing.  Go back in a week and see the results...you will be blown a-way with the information you get.  Then you will know the truth as well...you can thank me later for the lesson.

And which traffic count are you comparing it to? Hubpages main page or Google analytics or Adsense? hmm

You do realize that 40% of views won't show up in Adsense because they are taken by Hubpages. And the views on your account page include your own. And the account page views ALSO run on a ROLLING 24 hour day, NOT a standard day.

2. profile image0
      The Writers Dogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this... I have just gone and signed up. NOT that I have any doubt  that HP are being honest and upfront with members when it comes to our share of any earnings from ad clicks, but because it may be a handy tool for my other sites.

3. wilderness profile image95

I use analytics for that purpose.  Although the numbers never exactly match those from HP, they are quite close after considering such things as the 60/40 split, the rolling reporting HP uses and slide show views.

There is no doubt in my mind that HP's traffic reporting is accurate.  That leaves only the assigning of who gets individual viewers for credit, and although I've seen many hubbers with wild theories about how HP is scamming them I've not seen any evidence at all.  Just theories.  Like yours.

Tell me - is statcounter going to tell you how much advertisers paid for individual views or clicks?  No?  Then where did you get that information that HP is taking the lions share of each and every click?  Including the knowledge that Adsense has a secret contract with HP to pay them most of the click that is credited to you and that Adsense, not HP, pays you for?

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Most of us do in fact track out traffic and it pretty much lines up with what the hub dashboard says (taking into account different data collection methods of different analytics programs).  We are not rubes.  We just follow the rules (which are quite complicated and take a while to learn) and collect the promised ad share. The deal is what it is.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image61

Yes, my traffic is about 90-95% within hubpages within any given week. As such, there is no way I get ad clicks.

9. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

But, Scourit...you only joined 7 days ago and have ZERO hubs. Did you have some before and take them off?

10. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

Sorry... 7 weeks, not 7 days. But there aren't any hubs there. Can't expect to make money with no hubs. For that matter, even with a few hubs. It takes time and lots of quality hubs.

11. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

I've just read this and it looks like your hubs have been removed. Did you remove your article from Hub Pages? Wow! That's surprising!

What you say about StatCounter is interesting! I use the free version and it's impressive!

Usually it is wise to wait and see how the Hubs pan out, from a clicks and income viewpoint. You should have let them get a chance to gain readership and views. Unless you have switched to another publishing community - in which case, best of luck on the writing anyway. smile

12. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Any deviation from the TOS would be a breach of contract.  It would open HP up to litigation as it would be construed as fraud.  I have measured HP traffic to Google analytics and every time it breaks down to a 60/40 split.  Hubpages is bound by a contract in which the hubber and the site have entered in to through mutual consent.  The hubber is bound by the same contract.

I suggest that everyone should make themselves aware of the details of said contract.

http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

To think otherwise is simply a flight of fancy.

13. profile image56

Wilderness...your just one of those individual that never get it....I could go on all night teaching you how to track click and the average dollar each of those clicks are getting for a PPC with Google. This is not about the money for me....at lease not form HP...Its about them un-publishing my hubs because "they" felt my hubs are commercialize only after one of my hub started point traffic to my website.....I'm done..just needed to share my frustration....Thanks to all those that let me share it!

1. Huntgoddess profile image67
      Huntgoddessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's too bad that they took down your Hubs. I would not want all that work to be wasted. I have had to take some things out of Hubs in order to make them not be overly promotional.

Then, there's the scary, frightening "broken link" message. That is a little weird. I just remove the link.

I like Hubpages for reasons other than money. I don't know if I'll ever make any money, and I have really have no idea about clicks and ad revenue. Every time I try to learn about that stuff, I just start thinking I'd rather be doing what I like --- which is writing. I don't have much time.

It's fun to see the numbers, though. Nevertheless --- I just try to write something interesting that folks might like to read. Maybe they'll tell their friends.

2. WryLilt profile image87

1. HP ads are nothing to do with Google. They are organised and placed directly through Hubpages, NOT through Google in any way. We have no idea how much each company is paying HP per click.

The only exception are SOME placements of Adsense adverts, however most are still placed directly by Adsense.

2. Adsense PPC (in the keyword tool) is not an indication of what you earn. You only get about 68% of the PPC, Google keeps the rest.

@WryLilt,  your new profile picture is awesome! smile

smile Thanks!

14. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

Scourit, I have one question for you. Did you read all the rules?  You should not make comments you can't back up by showing how HubPages is not following their own rules.

I am a programmer and I know HTML. When I first started writing on HubPages two years ago I carefully checked the HTML code in my Hubs and I found that HubPages is truly displaying my affiliate code 60% of the time, just as they say they do. It's up to me to write well enough so that 60% pays off.

HubPages is not censoring your work. If your hubs are unpublished it is because you did not follow the rules. They clearly state that you can have up to 3 links going to the same site. Exceptions are sites that are well-known as resources such as Wikipedia. I think that is more than fair because HubPages is not a platform for promoting your own business in your Hubs. They do allow you to mention your business with a link in your profile. And again, I think that is being very fair.

There are reasons for having rules.

HubPages is in the business to make money. If that were not the case then you wouldn't have the opportunity to use this platform to write.

They are willing to pay you 60% of the income you generate from your writing. If you try to game the system to make more, then YOU are the one who is not following the rules. 

If you don't like the rules then you MUST leave. Otherwise if you use the HubPages platform, you are showing agreement to the rules.

It's two links to the same site. smile

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the correction. I think it was 3 and they lowered it. But you are right, I just checked the FAQ's.

15. profile image56

Glen Stok..thanks for the input.....but you are right..I'll take my writtings to blogger where I get 100% of the ad money...and I can put my two or three links into my content.  BTW I was following the rules as you call them by only putting in two links......Again thanks for the input

Research has shown that the first two links have the best "quality" if you want backlinks that help you raise your rankings. Any links after that generally become seen as spammy by Google bots anyway.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

I just took a look at your Hub "Do Replicated Perfumes Compare to the Name Brand Fragrance?" (via the Google Cache) and you had SEVEN links to your own site. Who are you kidding?

They all had one or two links plus an RSS feed of 5 or so, all to the same domain.

It never changes, does it?  "I read the rules, and I followed them (at least as long as I think you can't check that)"! lol

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

But it's good that HP seems to be pushing this junk out of here, right?  Action seems quicker?

It does seem quicker, judging by the number of complaints we're seeing in the forums.

And yes, I think it's a good thing.  The better the reputation of HP, the better we will all do.

3. dungeonraider profile image85
      dungeonraiderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You'll get 100 percent of the Adsense, which, unless you really know what you are doing SEO-wise, will net you maybe a couple hundred dollars for hundreds of thousands of views.  I've said it elsewhere many times, I've tried a ton of online writing sites, and the HP Ads set up is the most lucrative for novice SEO article writers.  Any hubs being unpublished are most likely being done so because HP is built to satisfy, and not anger, Google.

16. profile image56

Yes after I add them now that I moved to blogger...and there are only 6. ... and four of them are form an RSS...I didn't have the RSS on my Hubs

17. profile image56

Thanks for checking......but I can check them myself....Im no programer but I know how many links I had on my Hubs.....Go back to the top and read.....or let me help you out Mr. Programer, these hubs have been up for over 5 weeks, no changes during the 5 weeks, and now HP unpublished one of them;  their reason for do this, ithe hub was too commercialized.....and there was only two links....

1. Glenn Stok profile image96

Your Hub that I just examined is indeed too commercialized because you had seven links to the same domain. RSS or not makes no difference. You still had seven links to your domain. Links in RSS is also made very clear in the rules.

Since you never answered the original question, asking if you had read the rules, I have no further desire to continue this thread with you. Any other Hubber here can also see the Google cache of your deleted Hubs and know the truth.

Is it possible that she doesn't understand that her cached hubs are still available for anyone to see?  That when she insists she doesn't have RSS feeds in her hubs, or that they only have two links that no one can or will look at them and see that both statements are false?

18. profile image56

Glenn.....did you read my reply....I did not have the RSS FEED on my hubs.....I only Had two links...did you get it this time

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm taking Glenn's side on this one.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6054439.png

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Excellent evidence lol

2. K9keystrokes profile image85

Niiiice! +1!!

19. profile image56

Enjoyed it...Thanks..but ends for me now!

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out..

2. WryLilt profile image87

Let this be a lesson to anyone wanting to lie about their internet activity - many things cannot be deleted (or deleted in a hurry) from the 'net.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image61

I love that it is difficult to delete things so that if everything shuts down there is hope that lost things can be recovered. It stops me from getting in a panic every time I hit the wrong key by accident (a distinct possibility when typing with one hand) the information I want is still there in the hard drive. I don't know how to retrieve it myself, but I know people who can.

Yes but I think you might be a little more honest about your activities than the OP!

+1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)