Are there subliminal messages in "Beauty and the Beast?"

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Okay, I just saw a video on youtube that i'd like to share with you all. Please watch it, then comment to tell me what you think.  Are there various subliminal messages in Disney's classic, "Beauty and the Beast?"  Or does this guy have way too much time on his hands?  Watch the video, and judge for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XvvkJcZ … re=related

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to tell, really.
      But at any rate, if the writers and/or cartoonists are putting in subliminal messages, then those people should be fired instead of blaming it on Disney as a whole.
      And I really think that guy who picked at the Disney productions should be publicly calling out the writers and producers of the Twilight series and other openly inappropriate fare that's directed at young people.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think what some cartoons, like "Animaniacs", have proven is that you get away with a lot of subliminal references to adult humor like sex if you're very subtle about it.  Heck, in Puss in Boots, there's a line where someone asks Humpty Dumpty about how prison was like, and he replies, "It wasn't over easy." 

Okay, I have no argument or comment on that one.  Personally, I think Stephenie Meyer might be sick in the head if you ask me; especially if what i researched about what happens in the last movie turns out to be true in regards to the relationship of renessme and jacob....

2. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please familiarize yourself with the phenomenon known as Pareidolia, because that's what's to blame for all the "SEX" appearing. This is the same tendency that makes morons see faces in so-called "spirit orbs" (which are really just dust). The brain seeks patterns. I used to find far worse things on the wood grain of my paneling when I would stare at it bored as a kid.

Now it is true that in some cartoons they do slip in inappropriate content, often in the form of jokes that go over the heads of children. What you have to remember is that adults are the ones who make children's entertainment and adults are the ones who have to sit in the theater with their kids.

Then of course the video breaks into normal conspiracy theory BS, bringing the supposed illuminati hand-signs.

At the end of the video he shows numerous scenes attempting to claim that Disney is promoting beautiful people, sex, and shallow values. Problem, it's completely out of context and ignores the message of the film(s) in question. 

Beauty and the Beast is about looking beyond inner ugliness and outer beauty, to say that it's trying to instill shallow values about beauty is like saying Bambi was pro-hunting. The Beast's outer ugliness is a direct result of his lack of compassion, and despite being handsome and rugged Gaston is the antagonist. Belle looks beyond Beast's ugliness, and certainly sees beyond Gaston's appearance and rejects him from the start.

The moron who made this video is ignoring the context again when he brings in Mulan, a brief portion of a song talks about what the Chinese view as ideal for a woman. Rather than endorse this viewpoint the ENTIRE MOVIE is actually Mulan's REBELLION against that viewpoint. Mulan's theme is female empowerment, for Christ sake by the end of the movie all of China is bowing to her as a direct result of her rebellion.

I'm not going to deny that Hollywood likes selling sex and Disney is no exception but the maker of this video is stretching absurdly far with all of his claims and is, in my opinion, undoubtedly an idiot.

1. A Thousand Words profile image66
        A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1 Well said.

2. profile image0

Well, i have to say that's probably the most elicit and well thought out response that we've gotten on here thus far.  Although, from reading your first sentence, I thought you were talking directly to me about becoming familiarized with Pareidolia, but as I read on, it seems your statements are geared towards the person that uploaded the video to begin with.  As far as the guy being a moron goes, I honestly don't know if he is or not, as I just think he's a guy that has too much time on his hands.  Eh what can you do?  Thanks for responding.

3. A Thousand Words profile image66

I think half of the stuff that is in stuff always goes over the kids heads. Lately when I watch Disney movies, i notice al the innuendos I never noticed before, and really had no idea what they were talking about when i was a kid, so the question is, does it really matter?

Unless they were saying "kill...kill" at some strange frequency that only affects the sub-conscience would I care about such a thing.

1. profile image0

+1

4. Jeff Berndt profile image74
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dunno about 'subliminal messages,' but doesn't Beauty and the Beast teach girls that if you meet a fellow who is temperamental and borderline abusive, you should stay with him and try to bring out the kindness hidden within? Don't worry; your love will turn him from a screaming abusive jerk into a nice, kind person.

Not a lesson I'd want my daughter to learn, if I had one.

LoL. Hey, maybe it's a lesson that everyone deserves a chance at love!

2. profile image0

That's not necessarily true.  Let's not forget that Belle initially hated the Beast when she agreed to be his prisoner in exchange for her father, and didn't open up to him until he stopped acting like a jerk to her.

2. profile image0

Hmm...I guess nobody has anything to add?..

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was afraid to look. I didn't want to get sublimated.

1. profile image0

lollol

3. Cassie Smith profile image61
    Cassie Smithposted 12 years ago

I think the subliminal messages are a stretch.

1. profile image0

Really?  what makes you say that?

1. Cassie Smith profile image61
        Cassie Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The "SEX" words that the guy thinks is there is an exaggeratoin. And the diablo hand signs, I didn't even know it means that much.

1. profile image0

Well you do bring up a good point.  Most of the analysis this guy makes seems very exaggerated, and quite frankly most people wouldn't notice said alleged messages unless they were watching the movie frame by frame, without actually watching the film.  Plus, I was a bit surprised for a guy that did so much analysis of the film that he didn't bother analyzing the other things like the overall story, and message that it was conveying, and the symbolism in context of it's story.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he has a point in that there probably is some sexual subliminal messages there, as I know even animators that worked on "Animaniacs" admitted they intentionally put in sexual subliminal messages into their show before.  Plus, I think I remember hearing how various animators of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" admitting the same thing.  Overall though, I think the guy is just over analyzing the whole thing.  Granted, there probably are subliminal messages there, but I doubt it's as bad as he's making it out to be.  At least that's my opinion, but to each their own.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

It seems like this person who put the movie together has a very vivid, yet creative imagination.

It's ironic he happens to be talking about morality of all things. lol

1. profile image0

lol You forgot to mention he also seems to have a lot of time on his hands to find time to analyze this film frame by frame the way he did.  wink lol

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Hey Steven, did you ever notice that they want to prevent kids/children from what mature type videos and movies, and tv shows, yet people sit those same kids/children down in front of a tv to watch "Disney" cartoons, which have just as much violence and mayhem in them, as half of the shows that they are prevented from watch. lol

1. profile image0

Yeah, that's true.  You do bring up a good point there. lollol

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

What a fun forum topic!

I always got a kick out of the obvious (to adults) innuendos and double entendres in Disney films. Lion King, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast are three of my faves (from when my son was young).
    If they put in that many audio "yucks" for the grownups I have no doubt they are peppering the visuals with subliminal messages. Why not? They are incredible animators. They probably get their jollies hiding stuff in the movies.

The guy who put this together seems to have, as stated above, a vivid and creative imagination. But who's to say those "sex" references are not there?

However, his analysis of Disney films perpetuating stereotypes of physical beauty? I must disagree. They are the opposite. And strongly feminist (Belle, Mulan for example). So nix on that score.

1. profile image0

That's true, as you do bring up a few good points there. smile

Yeah, i would have to agree with you on that one as well.  I think it's kind of amazing that the guy would analyze this film frame by frame, but would completely ignore the story in it's own context; while completely missing the point about the other films he mentioned as well.

7. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

I think everything I just saw in that video is a major stretch. He's seeing what he wants to see. If someone wanted to take issue with this movie they should look at the fact that what appears to be Stockholm Syndrome is being peddled as a cute love story.

1. profile image0

Hmm..you do bring up a good point there, as I honestly never looked at it like that before.  That's very interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. smile

8. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I remember several years back my daughter aged 3 or 4 asking coming up and asking "whats a climax?".............

We thought for a moment.... then decided to ask her why she wanted to know...

"because in Dumbo the ringmaster shouts - "and now for the climax"."... phew...

Totally innocent but look where our minds went.. lol

LoL

2. profile image0

lollol

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are subliminals everywhere. I think it's either a plot by the CIA, or God is really watching and interfering

1. Michele Travis profile image67
          Michele Travisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My biggest problem is reading.  I had a lot of trouble reading the word sex even though he circled it over and over again.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
            Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to read to do it!smile

9. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

no howener it does promote beastiality lol

1. profile image0

lollol  That's true.  lol

10. brielise profile image60
    brieliseposted 12 years ago

I've never been a believer in any of the subliminal messages in Disney films because I think if you stare at anything long enough you can really make anything out of it. For instance, in The Lion King there is supposedly sex spelled out in the dust when Simba lays down. I think the only reason I can make out those letters is because I was told to look for them. In Aladdin at one point he supposedly says to take off your clothes, but in reality he's saying something entirely different. Snopes explains them really well: http://bit.ly/310XYL. Anyway, I do think it's a case of having too much time on your hands and making something out of nothing. Yes, there are innuendos in Disney/Dreamworks films but they're fairly blatant to adults. I'd say out of all the Disney films Hunchback of Notre Dame is far worse than any subliminal messages that may be in other films, and it certainly isn't hidden. Just listen to the song "Hell Fire".

1. profile image0

Well that may be a valid theory as well.  personally, I tend to agree with MM about this, as it's definitely a possibility.  However, I am very surprised that a guy, who did this much analysis into studying the movie frame by frame, would still somehow miss not only what the film was even remotely about, but not even have the comprehension to understand the movies' overall message.  But, to each their own is what I say. However, you're right that he does clearly have a lot of time on his hands though.

Yeah, that's true.

lol I honestly never seen the movie, but I have heard of it, and seen various scenes from it.  However, I never actually watched it in it's entirety.  Maybe one of these days if I ever decide to write a hub on all the Disney animated films, I'll see it, but probably not in the near future though.  However, I have seen the scene that features the song, and I have to say it's very adult oriented for a kids' film if you ask me.

11. profile image0

Anyone else got anything to add?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)