Q&A removal

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

I just had a question removed because it "it encouraged a discussion rather than a Hub or multi-paragraph answer. Surveys and poll-type questions do not belong in the Q&A section. To engage in a discussion or conversation, please post in the Forums section at http://hubpages.com/forum/, or for private conversation you can contact another Hubber directly from their profile page."

I don't recall seeing anything that indicated that Q&A entries would be removed - I saw that they should be more specific.

While I might agree with the removal, I'm a little disappointed that this was not clearly set out in the recent blog entries.

I would argue that this is a very subjective thing to decide - I would point to several questions that have won daily prizes that should also have been removed based on the rules that removed my question....

There needs to be consistency at the very least.

What do others think?

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's nothing personal, Simey, as I suspect you already know. Even staff (>ahem!<) have had things moderated. The rules are the rules. smile

The rule for Questions, as it's been for as long as I can remember (3 years at least) is that a Question must be information-seeking; it must be something that could conceivably used as the basis of a Hub. Questions that ask for information that can be delivered in just a sentence or two ("How many pints are there in a gallon?"), or that ask for others' personal feelings and preferences ("What is your favorite movie?"), would not be acceptable, since Hubs written to address those would not be acceptable.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would be great if that simple rule could be displayed under the "Ask a Question" box, because in my experience, 90% of newbies - and a large percentage of "oldies" - have never read it anywhere and don't know it exists.

2. SimeyC profile image88
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Jason - I know it's not personal! My concern is that it's very subjective! I would say that some of the questions that have won prizes could be categorized in the same bucket as mine - however, there have been some excellent hubs written.....

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
          Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you think a Question doesn't conform to our rules, please flag it. The support team will see if it deserves moderation. If it hadn't been moderated, then it either means the support team had not evaluated it, or that it does in fact abide by our rules.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

If HP ever removes a question that I posted I will:

A. Eat a Twinkie to console myself.

B. Try to do better with my next question.

big_smile

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There's the problem! I have no Twinkies!!!!!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://inthewildwithwags.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/twinkies1.jpg

3. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, I'm going to try and post 10 sincere questions today. We'll see how many Twinkies I'll be eating. big_smile

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm hungry, I think I'll have a Twinkie too...lol

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

Well, darn.  I reached my daily question limit. big_smile

1. ngureco profile image79
      ngurecoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And, do we have a limit to the number of questions one can answer in a day?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well! I'm still getting this message:

"Sorry, you have reached your daily limit for asking questions. Please come back later."

I guess it's a rolling 24 hours?

2. ngureco profile image79
      ngurecoposted 12 years ago

I understand how you feel SimeyC. Usually, questions are removed when they have been flagged by other hubbers (for whatever reasons). It has happened to me on quite a few times and one usually feels very bad. I usually console myself by posting two more questions that I would not have posted for every question removed.

And yes, the formula used is very subjective because if you search Q&A for “What is your favorite movie” you will find that question(s) is still running and doing very well.

May be another area they may need to check are those answers that have been copied as full paragraphs from other websites and pasted here as answers to questions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)