Mentor Program

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

One thing I wished I had when I first started on Hubpages was a mentor - someone I could turn to and ask all those 'silly' questions that new users on HP ask, someone I could seek objective advice from and someone who would be able to help me focus on my writing, and give me tips on how to be successful.

I therefore think it would be useful if HP developed a volunteer Mentor program - this is almost like the 'greeters' program, but more personal and more on a one to one basis.

I'd see 'quality' Hubbers taken on about 5 Mentees each for a period of one month and ask them to communicate with these mentees daily - responding to questions, sending quick tips or generally taking time to look at the Mentees work.

It's a huge commitment, but one I think would benefit the Mentee, the Mentor and Hubpages.

What do you think? Who would make a good Mentor? Who would want to be a Mentor?

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just for the purpose of discussion (kind of, but not entirely, a devil's-advocate type of thing) (rather than a "reading-the-riot-act" thing, which this isn't AT ALL intended to seem like)....

I'm reluctant to be candid here because I don't want to appear to be "shooting down" what is a valid and good suggestion.  Mentoring situations work better for some people than for others.  It's never been something for me, and as a "writer type", I tend to assume that's because writer types often have to find their own way and do things their own way.  Also, some people just operate best on their own and without involving others. 

I see writing on this site as two separate things:  Writing and knowing how the site and the Internet work.  A lot of people don't want or need help with writing, and those who have trouble with writing and/or grammar aren't likely to have their "issues" fixed in a month.  As far as "operating on the site/Internet goes", I think it's all pretty self-explanatory if the person puts in the time and effort to read the "Help" section (and if he's new, to keep going back when he runs into one or another new situation).

So I don't see this as a setting in which mentoring is particularly required.  There are the forums here for new people who have questions.  True, not all the replies are always the best; but usually a few (or more) people kick in and add more knowledgeable replies to those.

The site, Helium. got into a whole big thing where it started to call itself "a writing collaborative" and where "everyone helps everyone else learn", and - really - a lot of people aren't on these sites to learn.  Either they already know, or else they don't want to know.  hmm  When I started to get the invitations to get involved with other people's contributions on there, and when I started to see words like, "we're all here to learn", I was out of there (well, sort  of - they don't let people delete their stuff from there  lol ).

Another concern would be with regard to "expertise" involving tips on getting traffic and earning money.   One size doesn't always fit all among individuals, and one approach isn't always guaranteed to work forever anyway.  Basically, when it comes to that stuff, I'm not sure everyone doesn't need to figure out, on his own, what he believes will work best for him.  For example, a lot of people still don't know a lot about what, exactly, Google "likes".  Based on some comments I've seen on Hubs that are articles written based on web research, it's clear that a lot of people still don't realize that Google's quality guidelines include "intimate familiarity with the subject" or  "original, in-depth analysis".  Separate from that, I know that if I'd followed a lot of the advice of those who saw themselves as "experts" on here a couple of years ago, I wouldn't be doing as well as I am now (to whatever extent I'm "doing well" on here or elsewhere with this particular kind of writing).

Having said all that ("obnoxious") stuff, I don't think the idea of offering that to people is a bad one, and I have no doubt that some people would be willing to take on a mentee.  It's never a bad thing to offer something helpful to someone who may need/want it.

I'm happy to try to be helpful to anyone on here.  Heck -  I don't just try to be helpful with HubPages stuff but also with anything else that I think I may be able to be a little helpful on.   I don't want to be "all involved" with someone else's "deal" on here, though.  BUT, that's because I've never been much the "mentor program" type.  I'm sure there are people who like "being all involved" with others in their efforts and who would think it's a great idea.  (A kind of funny thing I've noticed over the years is that the mentoring thing comes up on here every so often, and it's most often either brought up by a teacher or someone who works in business in a capacity where mentoring is common or else played a big role in their own "doings".)  smile

Personally, I've seen way too many people giving way too many other people bad advice/information on here. Even if it isn't "bad", it's often information that isn't right for some people's aims.  That's another reason I had reservations about a mentor-type program on here.  People just have to be careful about whose advice they listen to. hmm

I really think what any new person needs is already here.  We've all seen how many people don't take advantage of, or pay attention to, it.  Those who do, and who use their own common sense with regard to their own aims, tend to do well on their own.  BUT, the existence of a mentor program certainly wouldn't hurt me or others who aren't interested either - so there's that too.   smile

2. Shanna11 profile image77
      Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I first got here I had someone offer to mentor me if I wished-- it was a really nice gesture and it was helpful. I didn't utilize him terribly much, but I'll admit, it was nice to ask him totally random questions and he was able to direct me as needed to helpful resources. It was on an as-needed basis and it worked for me.

3. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think a mentor program would be a good thing, but only for those that ask for it. I think having 5 to mentor might be a bit much, but I'd volunteer if I only had 1 or 2. If I saw it wasn't that much work, then I'd take on 5.

2. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Some very valid points. It has to be a voluntary program and perhaps should be limited to some areas such as:
    -formatting
    -Grammar and spelling
    -Getting the best out of the Learning Center

The forum and learning center does have a lot to offer, but I have been here two/three years and still have not read the Learning Center fully - also some replies on the forums can often be snippy and condescending - heck I often get 'scared' when I see some of the replies!!!

Perhaps it can be an informal thing - if someone really seems to be stuck, then let some of the more experienced users reach out to them.

One thing that I suspect people don't realize is that a Mentor / Mentee relationship isn't always one way - in my work experience I've learnt a lot from Mentees - sometimes someone asking a question will make you think carefully about the repsonse and may even 'change' the way you do something.

3. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I have asked all the successful Hubbers to be my mentor

They have all refused me.

I think their rejection stems from creative jealousy and penis envy

1. Shanna11 profile image77

Could also be that you aren't as attractive as me..... wink

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

you are cute...

but I am gorgeous!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6389994_f248.jpg

The face just screams "My name is Greek One...will you be my mentor?"

make fun if you want...

but that pic turns me on

I'm pretty sure a post-it note would be all it takes to turn you on.

is the post-it note single?

1. CMHypno profile image83
                  CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since when have you been fussy?  Pink or green? smile

I have found that the more green I have, the more pink I get

2. melbel profile image94
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You never fail to crack me up. Totally made my day right there.

thank you for not envying my penis...

will you be my mentor?

4. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

I think mentoring is a good idea, but I also know a lot of people fancy themselves experts who are not near as adept as they think they are.

Mentors would have to be vetted by HP staff, or maybe given silos of expertise/competence.

5. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Mentoring would be a good idea, but it would have to have a specific focus. For example, I could help someone with grammar, organization, and other writing skills, but I wouldn't be a lot of help with SEO and such. lol

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

I feel that Greek One is requiring some mentoring with his envy, so it doesn't get outta hand.......oh for goodness sake, bloody double entendre's when you didn't mean to write one...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)