Should an Atheist marry to an Atheist only?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. jainismus profile image74
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6387753.png
    For a better understanding, should an Atheist marry to an Atheist only?

1. mischeviousme profile image60
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not in this world, where one may have a cactus instead of a tree in their front yard.

2. profile image0
      Chasukposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That depends on how important faith is to the believer. In other words, an atheist probably wouldn't be wise to marry a fundamentalist believer, or any believer who was especially devout. I'm not saying that such pairings can never work, but they are certainly less likely to survive long-term.

3. A Thousand Words profile image67
      A Thousand Wordsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's all about probability. Is it likely that an Atheist would marry another? Yes. But that also depends on where they live, and the percentage of people who have declared themselves "Atheist." But, an Atheist is more likely to marry/date a theist than a theist to marry/date an Atheist, at least from what I've observed. Admittedly, I could be wrong. But I don't know if "should" is an appropriate word here.

@Chasuk, always with the good answers.

@Peeples, good for you!

4. EinderDarkwolf profile image60
      EinderDarkwolfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Variety is the spice of life! It's good to have different people of different views and beliefs marrying each other. Why? Because the kids learn to see different view points from a young age which helps with conflict resolution later on in life. Not to mention that they say opposites attract for a reason. This doesn't just apply magnets. It also applies to beliefs systems and such. Two people, with conflicting belief systems, who can discuss and not argue their different beliefs, never run out of things to talk about and are always stimulated by intellectual conversation in this manner.

5. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a good question, and it entirely depends on the personal characteristics of the individuals involved.  Some people are atheists but don't think about religion and God much.  Other people are Christians, but they are just Sunday morning types.  Both of these groups act basically the same, and they could probably find common ground.

Personally, I could be with a believer in God depending on their attitude.  I could never be with a right-wing Christian because I have little respect for ill-thought out views, and also because it would cause major divisions.  I think about religion and God a lot, about as much as I do politics.  If I had my polar opposite, I don't think it could work.

6. Lore Splitt profile image62
      Lore Splittposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Should" they? It would be up to them and their loved one...

I tend to lean more towards atheism myself, though I consider myself an agnostic- and I've always felt religion is a very personal thing.

I've dated people of different faiths, and non-faiths, and as long as they were of the belief that should we have children, they can decide for themselves what they want to believe, I'm fine with it.

As long as they respect my beliefs, as I respect theirs, it's ok.

When it comes to dietary differences, say I end up marrying someone who has dietary requirements or rules- so long as they understand I will eat what I want- though, if certain foods aren't allowed in the house at certain times, I'm ok with that, I can eat those things out of the house- I'm also fine with it as well.

If I'm expected to convert, or to insist to both raise any children in that faith and discourage them from exploring other religions, then it isn't going to work out.

7. Titen-Sxull profile image72
      Titen-Sxullposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People should be able to marry whoever they want, any two people who want to get married and are consenting adults should be able to do so.

The question becomes a bit more complicated when kids become involved, the issue of whose beliefs will be instilled and how the child will be raised in regards to the religious issue is a contentious one.

So people should use caution before getting married, but then that's common sense, don't rush into ANY marriage even if you believe the same things as your spouse.

2. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 12 years ago

I am an atheist happily married to the man of my dreams who is a Christian. Our differences make us a better couple. I couldn't imagine being married to another atheist as I find myself arrogant enough! It also wouldn't be much fun losing out on drunken debates on God!

3. Dee aka Nonna profile image61
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 12 years ago

I think it depends, for the most part, on the 2 people involved. People with different backgrounds, cultures, thoughts, beliefs, etc. have been able to make relationships work for hundreds of years.  On the flip side of that...people with similar backgrounds, cultures, thoughts, beliefs, etc. have not.  It is all in how you respect yourself and the other person.  I believe that you should always go into a relationship with your eyes open and not with the attitude that you are going to "change" the others person.

4. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I am married to someone who is 'opposite' me in almost avery imagineable way, from race and culture to size - it works unbelieveably well. 

I can't begin to imagine being married to someone who is told what to do by an imaginary mythical creature in place of reason, through teh medium of a gang of moronic preaching fools.

5. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

If I married my spiritual opposite she would be relgious but she would not believe in God. So, I think its a wee bit more likely that I will marry someone like me in that sense.

6. profile image0
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 12 years ago

It would be very difficult for me if I was married to someone who didn't believe in God. I am very strong in my faith and I say my prayers and at times refer to the Bible. I couldn't live with a person who didn't believe at all.

7. Slarty O'Brian profile image81
    Slarty O'Brianposted 12 years ago

I've been married for 33 years to a Catholic. The way to get along is to not talk about religion with your spouse. At least that works for us. She knows what I think of religion in general.

We sent our kids to a Catholic school until high school. Then all three decided they had enough so they went to a public high school. All three of my kids are atheists, but it could have worked out the other way around.

It all depends on how demanding the religion is that the spouse belongs to. I probably could not have stomached being married to a fundy. My wife keeps her beliefs to herself most of the time and I keep my lack of belief to myself as well except in debates on line and in my writing.

So it all depends on the people involved, not so much on whether one is religious or not. And there is some compromise involved. We were married in church but allowed our children the freedom to choose, and my wife never insisted that I go to church.

In Canada, unlike the US, there is a policy among most people that religion is personal. The religious Catholics at least don't bother others with it. Only the fundamentalists seem to want to demand that everyone believe exactly what they believe.

So for those who think being married to an atheist would be impossible, think again. It happens all the time with good results. Not to say it can't turn out bad. But that's the same in any marriage.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)