Can't write while grieving

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Cara.R profile image65
    Cara.Rposted 12 years ago

I lost a dear friend in a very tragic way. I haven't been on here for awhile and I can tell if I were to stay here now, read and comment my grieve will taint my words.  I hope I can write again. Any grief tips would be helpful. I'm not in the greatest of moods so if you're thinking of responding with something unkind. Don't.

1. Melindas Mind profile image66
      Melindas Mindposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Give yourself time. After my cousin drowned I was incapable of any creativity at all. I couldn't crochet, I couldn't write, I couldn't draw. Trying to force it just made things worse, because then I was grieving and frustrated. You'll know when you're ready.

2. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I lost my mom I wrote about my journey everyday. I took a hiatus for awhile. I then realized that mom would not have been happy if I stopped writing altogether.

I would recommend writing about your friend. The journey and the closeness both of you had. A tribute is always beautiful and it can also help you begin to heal.

Also go to grief support it really does help.

My thoughts and prayers are with.

3. WannaB Writer profile image86
      WannaB Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cara, as has been mentioned, each person has to feel her own way through the grief process. My heart does go out to you. I have lost both children in tragic ways, and a close friend to suicide. Writing helped me. I did my first online writing about the death of my son and friend years after they were gone because I'd not yet learned about writing sites such as this. My daughter died right after I started writing on line, and it helped immensely to write it out as we were making the arrangements and after the service.  Most of my grief writing was on Squidoo, since I hadn't heard of HubPages back then.  Here on HubPages I summed up what I have learned in my Hub "How to Grieve and Go on with Life." Maybe there is something there that  will help you.

The most important part of what I've learned by my own experience and that of some of my friends who have taken the grief journey with the deaths of their children or spouses is that however we grieve, we must allow ourselves to do it. It's a job we need to do to be able to go on with life and become whole again. If we try to put on a happy face that's an act, and not allow ourselves to do the grief work , we will be setting ourselves back.  The grief will eventually come out in an unhealthy way if we try to hold it in.

All I can tell you is that if you allow yourself to grieve in whatever way helps you most, you will eventually get through that dark tunnel and come back into a place where you can begin to be enthusiastic about life again. It may be true that we are the ones that hurt when we lose a loved one, but that hurt is very real, and it doesn't make us miss them less to tell ourselves they are better off than we are.  It is true they will always live in our hearts if we allow them to, and we must allow them to.

2. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Grief...is something that naturally has to take its own rugged course...differently...with each of us. The worst thing...IMO...one can do is "bottle-up" your grief. It will find a way to "un-bottle' itself....later...somehow...someway...if you do!

IMO...if someone is special to us...they become a part of our own lifes. We honor them...by carrying on with our own lifes...but there should be no rules as to how we do it. There is no catch phrase...that helps a person in grief...though there are many catch phrases that people will lend you. Just do your best to step further along...in your life...in the manner...that the one you grief for...would want you to.

Grief...on this planet...just happens. It is unfortunate. I hope you will be strong...and get through your grief...at the right time and place that is uniquely appropriate...for only you!

3. Marketing Merit profile image94
    Marketing Meritposted 12 years ago

I'm very sorry for your loss Cara.

However, I firmly believe that it is only the body that dies and that the soul lives on forever. This strong belief is what helps me with my grief.

Also, as cruel as it may sound, when we grieve, we are grieving for ourselves, for our own loss. Your friend is at peace now. However tragic the circumstances may have been.

Writing about your loss may help...when you are ready of course.

But loved ones never leave you...they just move on.

Warmest regards...

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I second Marketing Merit on that one. We feel bad for ourselves. We're the ones that miss and find it difficult to cope. It will take you some time before you're ready to reconnect with your creativity, but you'll get around to it. Be patient. It will happen.
      I know for certain that the Spirit doesn't die. Your loved one is watching you wherever she/he is. There are a lot of books that will help you understand what goes on after the body dies, but I highly recommend the books written by Dr. Brian Weiss. It will help you understand reincarnation, if you're open to that belief.
      Stay strong! Wish you all the best!

Klara

4. Karanda profile image78
    Karandaposted 12 years ago

Eventually it is possible you will take great relief from your writing about the loss you are feeling now. Grief is so overwhelming in the initial stages especially if the person who has died has been close to us. So overwhelming that words become jumbled, in time writing about your loss or the person who has died may give you a sense of healing. Wait until the time is right - only you can know.

Cara.Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Karanda and everyone else who commented.  Someone left a comment recently on something I wrote and it was the perfect timing for it. I already started writing a story. The loss of my friend and the grief that is being felt by many is the hardest part. I know I am not the only one feeling heartache. Wishing there was something we all could have done to help. But thank you for all your help.

1. Eunice Stuhlhofer profile image60
        Eunice Stuhlhoferposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing. Take courage and comfort. It will be well again. Every day brings new strength and healing to your wound of grief. Best wishes

2. Melindas Mind profile image66
        Melindas Mindposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really wish I had some awesome, wise words to make what you're feeling hurt less. All I can say is let yourself grieve, and know that what you're feeling is okay. If you try to deny your feelings it will take longer for you to heal from this loss.

5. roelfina profile image61
    roelfinaposted 12 years ago

Dearest Friend:

Painful memories will always lure in the bottom
    of who we are and who we will become after
    the departure of a wonderful husband - father
    and son - the initial shock and numbness
    within the family and friends will take
    an inner struggle to heal

We do not know the mystery of life - from
    my spiritual experiences - my dearest son
    has returned to me through the womb to
    bring comfort to his mom

Whatever I do - my spiritual son is within
    to show me the way-I am not alone - since
    he returned he gives me strength and courage
    to continue to live a life that is creative
    positive and with a smile

My spiritual son has given me love for this
    earth - when times are hard - he tells me to
    endure because the sun will always appear from
    behind the clouds - he has taken away my fear
    of humankind

We cannot explain Natures way - we have to go
    with the flow - accept our fate and create out of
    our loss and enormous pain - miracles for others
    as well as us to enrich human life for all 

Pain transfers us into other people’s shoes and
    teaches us that other people’s pain might be even
    worse than ours - fate is visiting us all
    during our life time - there is no exception
    from what I have observed.

Endure pain with courage and strength
    Remember your Angel will return
    home and guide his beloved  family
    through the rest of their lives.   

Your friend,Fay           March 16, 2012

Hi Fay, thank you for your beautiful words.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss and your pain. Take care of yourself, heal from your loss, and don't worry about this part of your life. This site will still be here when you feel up to writing again, and the support of the community is here waiting for you.

Thank you Marcy, I started writing but it got up to over 2,000 words...i think i should cut it down a bit.

7. profile image59
    yaazhiniposted 12 years ago

I am extremely sorry to hear about your loss. Time is the best cure and I hope you will get over it as time passes by. A loss is always tragic and no words could offer comfort. However, you need to get yourself engaged. If you find it difficult to apply your mind on anything, you may get yourself engaged in physical activities such as exercising, outdoor trips and so on. If you love music, you may listen to it. It would be better if you do not remain alone for a long time. Hope you would recover soon from the loss.

Thanks Yaazhini,
      I have been meditating everyday and longer than usual. It has helped a great deal. My sister and I are twins and she has been a great support. so have my friends. They are suffering more I think. I meditate for them. I believe I will be o.k. but some of my friends are struggling so hard with this. Some of them don't know how to cope as well. Thank you for your kind words, they do help.

8. Journey * profile image69
    Journey *posted 12 years ago

Hi Cara.R., I just want to offer my condolences. I am so sorry for your loss. Take time to heal. With time, you will be encouraged to write more again. I hope you feel better with each new day.

Thanks Journey,
      I've started writing again, I'm a bit nervous to tell a certain story but I look forward to publishing it when it all comes together someday.

9. snofly profile image61
    snoflyposted 12 years ago

So sorry for your loss. Grief definately changes us in the short-term and long-term.  I have been thinking of writing a hub about my experience with grief, I lost my brother a little over a year ago.  I am new to hubbing so still working out my how I will present the topic so it is helpful and not like a journal.  What I will tell you up front is grief has its own time schedule.

Hi Snofly,
      Grief can change us, sorry for your loss as well. For me I want to take this grief and turn it into something positive. I think I am on my way. Good luck to you in your writing as well.

10. jaybird22 profile image68
    jaybird22posted 12 years ago

Everyone, no matter what art or profession, goes through rough times in their lives.  Because our world is made up of a vast variety of people, people respond to grievance in different ways.

For some people, writing their thoughts is exactly what the doctor ordered.  They can put down their thoughts and express themselves to the world.

You are obviously one of those people that need to take a break to collect your thoughts.  There is nothing wrong with this, do what makes you heal and forget about the rest of the world thinks.

I lost a sister when I was a junior in high school. She was just 26 and had her whole life in front of her.  It was one of the hardest things I have ever gone through in my life. But time marches on and so I am forced to go on in life without her.

At the time, I wanted to curl up in a ball and not do anything.  I didn't even want to go to school and face people, even if it was to hear how sorry they were for my family.  I didn't want to think about it, let alone be surrounded by people that wanted to say their condolences. I just wanted to cut myself off with the rest of the world. 

Thankfully, with some professional help and some good friends and family, I started getting out and doing things again.  It wasn't until I felt like I was ready though that I started acting like myself again. If you have good friends and family, you'll know where to seek help.  Do not rush anything, especially your writing.  You will no when it is time, no one else will. 

Now it has been 13 years.  Not a day goes by that I don't think about her and wonder what she would be doing in life today. Time has a way of healing.  Although I still think about her, I think more positively and not negatively.

Thank you Jaybird22
      for all the kind words and for sharing what you have gone through. My first loss in my life was my dad at 10years old, after that there were so many more. I am use to wakes and funerals. I realized each death brings out different emotions and different forms of grief. My friends and I reached a time in our lives where we lost a close friend in a way that was so violent. I have good days and bad, however our friendship with him expanded to so many people that, everyone is at a different stage of grief. No matter who I spend time with, the grief is everywhere. I try and talk about all the funny things he, my ex and I had done together. There were so many fun times. The general strand through all of this is not so much that he died, it is the way he died; that everyone seems to be having a hard time with. My ex and our friends saw things that no one would want to have to see.  I think if he just died in a different way it wouldn't have been so bad.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)