Is it possible to love food and not be overweight?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Blogger Mom profile image58
    Blogger Momposted 16 years ago

Now that I'm done having kids, I'm looking forward to getting my body back in decent shape.  But I love love love food - cooking, creating, ordering, etc.   And it seems that every weekend there is another celebration - always with food.  I believe in whole foods - cooking with butter, making my own salad dressings - which usually means they are higher in fat than the processed foods in the store.

Does anyone here - with a genuine love of food - have advice for how you stay at a healthy weight?  Thanks!

1. Inspirepub profile image71
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't eat too much of it!

Seriously.

Eat only when hungry, and eat the healthiest option available when you ARE hungry. If you can't find anything appetising, wait and stay hungry until you get to somewhere that has something you are willing to eat. (Within reason - eat a cracker or some raisins if it's a long wait.)

Often, by the time a big family occasion meal is served, I am full from nibbling ingredients while cooking, and I end up having maybe a couple tablespoons of food, just to taste the finished versions of things.

One or two spoonfuls of anything is enough to get the taste sensation. Beyond that, you should only eat more if your body needs fuel.

I lost over 40 pounds in 5 months, just by only eating when I was hungry.

Jenny

1. New Day profile image68
        New Dayposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wow - 40 pounds in 5 months!  That is amazing.  For me, the trick is to cut out caloric beverages:  lattes and wine are full of empty calories (OK, milk is sort of good for you, but not grande size).  I also buy the 100-calorie snacks.  They come in just about every variety from pretzels to pudding.  It really helps the portion control if you don't have the willpower.  I don't know if I could only eat a few raisins at a time though.  Don't even bother with rice cakes.  They are so flavorless and non-filling it is not worth the effort of chewing them.

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I love food, and maintain a healthy weight.

Portion control and moderation really help.  As well, creating a healthy balance between protein-fat-carb intake is important.  Higher fat foods doesn't have to be bad, but a daily excess of empty calories can be.

3. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 16 years ago

I also love food.  I live in France and food here is absolutely delicious, not to mention the cakes and cheese which are heavenly...mmmm... 

I believe on the 'French paradox' eat well, have a glass of wine with it, take small portions and do lots of exercise. 

I do hate gyms so I do like my French girlfriends, walk everywhere, cycle, swim, horseride... anything that gets you moving and burning energy while having fun!

4. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 16 years ago

Live life, break wind frequently that's the motto I swear by.

Setting aside some time for a little excercise is good but also a good windy buttock ripper is the best way to go it has been known to reduce windy weight for windy flabber jabbers the world over.

Eat beans...mushy peas...the wind is our friend and only ally against the non conformists who prefer to do the winding silent but deadly!

5. profile image52
    Foodie1posted 16 years ago

Just remember that unsaturated fats, such as olive oil, may be better for you, they are still fats and have about the same amount of calories as saturated fats.  Instead of using butter, try substituting with other plant fats such as palm oil.  They are lower in saturated fats and have different flavors to make a unique dish.

Instead of alwasy putting oil in your dressings, just keep it simple with citric juices such as lemon, lime or even blood orange for a tangy yet mild flavor. 

Always avoid frying when possible.

Eat foods with high amounts of fiber to curve hunger, such as non-sweetened shredded wheat or bran flakes.

Watch out for high fructose corn syrup, which studies have found can actually make you feel hungry.  Always read the ingrediant list.  I was buying a 15-grain bread I just presumed was all natural, but came to find out the third ingrediant used was high fructose corn syrup.  In bread!!

Of course, keeping a balanced diet lets you have those guilty pleasures every once in a while, so reward yourself.

Of course, excercise is even more effective when eating right.  Lifting will help build muscle which will burn fat faster than just cardio alone.

And drink plenty of water.

6. Caryl Oliver profile image60
    Caryl Oliverposted 16 years ago

I have the same problem - love cooking and love food.  And, of course, all the things that taste the best are generally the worst for you!!

I generally make everything from scratch which means I avoid tansfats and all the nasty bits of sugar, salt and junk that prepared foods have embedded in them.

One thing that does work for me is that I try to avoid carbohydrates in the evening.  Will have toast at breakfast and potatoes at lunch etc... but at night I will generally do things like chicken in an enormous variety of ways with all sorts of salads (not pasta salad though...)

If I eat carbohydrates at night then I do it without protein - so spaghetti with a tomato sauce or pesto is great.  I make my own pesto with basil, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, pine nuts and parmesan - my mouth is watering as I think about it now!

My favourite marinade for chicken prior to BBQ is lemon juice, honey, soy and garlic.  My favourite salad dressing is a combo of lemon juice, balsamic and extra virgin olive oil.  Salt and Pepper to taste in both of those.

By spicing things up and giving food some really good flavour I find that I do not need to eat as much - I am always aware that when visiting once particular friend I always seem to eat twice as much as anywhere else, then I suddenly realised that it was because his food is all bland so you eat a lot looking for taste!

For snacks I eat nuts, almonds are good but can be fattening in excess and macadamias.

Excercise is critical also - even if you only go for a walk each day but do something.  Try to avoid going straight from table to couch that is a killer!   There is a certain ironic logic in the old way of standing at a sink after dinner doing the dishes before you sit down in front of the TV...

7. Blogger Mom profile image58
    Blogger Momposted 16 years ago

Really great suggestions - thanks everyone.

I guess the key (which is obvious, but not terribly easy) is to avoid excess, use whole foods, and try to squeeze in some exercise.  I think portion control is the hardest for me, because as soon as the kids go to bed and I'm eating a wonderfully tasty dinner, I just want the moment to continue for as long as possible.  Oh, which makes it worse because I'm usually doing this after 8pm. smile

Thanks again for the suggestions - I'm gonna really give it a try!

8. profile image0
    IĆ°unnposted 16 years ago

I love food.  I love everything about it.  Thinking about it, cooking it, eating in, eating out.  I revel in the taste of this or that dish.  I cook high cal, real butter, the whole deal like you.  Key is in cooking in a lot, instead of junk food and cook like the food pyramid.  Meat, starch, vegetable.

Best advice I have, eat whatever you like, but not until you are full.  Eat until you are not hungry anymore, then stop. 

Another good thing and encouraged by doctors, if possible eat 5 small meals a day rather than 3 large ones.  It's healthier.

One of my exes had a diet that took him from over 300 lb to 165 lb but it was pretty yuk.  I wouldn't have had that self-control.  I get a bit luckier because I have a fast metabolism but trying those things can't hurt.

9. elisabeth reid profile image67
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

Try to exercise as much as you can...going to the gym regularly is nice but not really necessary:  skip the elevator, take the stairs (at least part way); walk to the corner store instead of driving; ride your bike with the kids on a nice day; if you've got stairs at home, you've got a stairmaster.  Use it.  Try not to eat late at night (those midnight snacks are killers); instead of stuffing yourself once a day, eat several smaller meals; portion control, portion control, portion control; don't wolf your food...eat slowly and deliberately (besides, you'll enjoy it more)...

Just use common sense -- and, hard as it is, really try and watch the fats and sugary foods.

10. Saph profile image60
    Saphposted 16 years ago

I love food too...in fact...it's the only thing I eat!

Used to be over weight (216 pounds) but am now at 140 on my way down to 135, and I eat every day!!!
    Enough food for my body to function on.  I use portion control and exercise.

11. profile image52
    CABrianposted 16 years ago

Blogman, it sounds like you are about the same age as myself.  On semi-retirement we moved from Canada to Nicaragua.  I was looking forward to losing weight and getting back to the organic whole foods. 

I owned a couple of Italian restaurants back in Canada and I was accustom to eating whatever, whenever I liked.

But I found with the extra time and slower pace and the love for food I started to run into trouble.  The one thing that has helped me the most to control the portion sizes and still enjoy the moments of ecstasy savoring my food was to slow down and chew my food longer then I was accustom to. 

It actually worked.  I have found my portion sizes drop.  My appetite to subside.  I now graze all day. 

Each mouth full I chew approximately 30 times.  The biggest advantage besides being able to savor your food was that the food was broken down more.  Digestion started quicker.  It was not as hard for my stomach to finish the digestive process.  Plus because the digestive process is better your body receives and utilizes more of the nutrients.  Result your body does not crave as much.

Add that with a glass of your favorite vino and ahhh.....  what a great time of the day.... 

Of course the exercise is necessary.  Even more important then when we were younger.

CABrian

12. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Yes Man. It is Possible to LOVE (and eat) Food and still not get overweight (Obesity). You just need to follow some of the Rules:

1. Do Regular Exercise.
    2. Do Some Yoga
    3. Avoid Junk and Oily Food. (Even Food with much Oil taste good)
    4. Drink Lots of Water.

Follow the above Rules and you will always remain in Good Shape (Even if your Over Eat).

Keep Eating and Do Not Forget to Do Regular Exercise and Your...Good Luck.

13. doncarlin profile image60
    doncarlinposted 15 years ago

It's quite possible! Simply balance out with lots of exercise and enjoy the tasty foods in moderation.

14. quensday profile image67
    quensdayposted 15 years ago

Hey there! I am a big fan of food too. I've read a lot about this, and the key is to eat frequently, but in small portions, so you won't feel that persistent pang of hunger for tastes. Eat 5-6 times a day and try to gradually increase the proportion of your intake of greens and lean meat. In addition, take every chance you have to walk. Walk to the grocery store, restaurant, and sweets shop. Walk around the mall. Take your kids out for a walk. Move more, eat more! Hopefully then, you won't feel too guilty about eating big_smile

1. doncarlin profile image60
      doncarlinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My philosophy is to indulge now, repent at the gym.

15. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

jenny,
    are you crazy? if they do not eat as they like why should live in the earth. Spirituality may be ur purpose, u r so good, but for us eating.. eating... eating is everything.
    kidding?...no reality. I eat whenever i like  but never added a single pound.
    I walk a lot.
    jyoti kothari

16. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

Moderation, you can eat whatever you want just make it fit your calorie daily intake you want to achieve. I love food and my body now shows it (too many of those celebrations lol) so I also must work on it. But before I was like this like I said, moderation.

1. mizranee profile image57
      mizraneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

of course it's not wise to eat more than necessary. but if i am not mistaken there is a book called Eat Right 4 Your Type which says if you eat according to your blood type you might be able to control your excess weight problems.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think that theory has been discredited. Obviously different individuals have different metabolisms, but all of these strange theories are eventually disproved. On the other hand, if someone wrote a book called "Lose Weight by Eating Less and Exercising More" would anyone buy it? wink

17. vietnamese profile image66
    vietnameseposted 15 years ago

Yes, I love foods and I am not afraid to eat them....All I got is a belly, is that considered overweight? big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)