Holy Bible: Scriptural Discussions

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (547 posts)
  1. vector7 profile image60
    vector7posted 11 years ago

If you disagree with the Bible, please do not spam this thread.

If you do you are being rude and I will quote the OP and report the issue for hupages to decide whether it violates forum rules or not.

This thread is to understand the Bible as it presents itself, and this thread is not for questioning it's authenticity nor to question it's origins, truth, purpose, or statements it proclaims within it's pages.

This thread is not for denying the existence of God, Jesus Christ, or the deity Christians see Him to be. This thread is for Christians who accept Jesus Christ as God, their Saviour, and in being so the author of every word in the Bible's pages.

This thread is not for anti-Christian remarks or agendas, nor for disrespectful or disagreeing statements in regard to Christian beliefs and faith.

Anyone is welcomed to join so long as their inquires or statements adhere to the agreement that the The Holy Bible is the truth as agreed by all Christians. The argument that "the Bible is not truth" in any form or fashion will be considered spam and will be referred to HubPages for discernment.

The sole purpose for this thread is a peaceful and agreeable environment for Christians to study and learn the Word of God, The Holy Bible, as truth.

If you disagree with anything stated above in this OP please do not post your disagreements as the preceeding agreements for the thread are outlined clearly. Therefore, if a post in disagreement is posted it will be considered disruption and will be reported promptly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Timothy 2:15

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

If you have anything to contribute to the Bible discussion please join in!

God bless, and praise Jesus Christ the Son of God!

Happy posting!

1. glmclendon profile image60
      glmclendonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are being told to study, because many are fooled because they did not know the truth of the scripture. They were taken away by smooth words.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm amazed at how many Christians don't try to study, or else they end up speaking with a misplaced form of credit.  I'm not the most studied myself, but I've learned to do something--to question some popular interpretations.   There's one that comes to mind often, and that's about "calling things that be not as though they be"...

Romans 4: 17 says:

"(As it is written, 'I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.'"

It's not that I don't believe in having Faith, because I sure do believe in that!  It's just that I've heard so many preachers and others who focus on the personal "name it, claim it" saying and never expound upon the wording in the Bible.   The Book says it is God who calls those things which aren't as though they are.  Not us.
        What say you?

1. heavenbound5511 profile image65
          heavenbound5511posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Life and death are in our tongue- we choose to speak words of LIFE God's word-verses the words of the enemy which are DEATH.
          We make whatever the situation is lose its power when we speak God's word over it- against it.
          God's angels harken to His(God's) word, Satan's crew harken unto the words of death and use our words of death & unbelief to further his agenda to steal,kill and destroy.
          This goes into sowing and reaping, also anything we believe and act on in belief and trusting God's word for must first be in our heart and than come out.
          So we continue to speak & sow the truth-the life of God's word in our heart so eventually it will come of of our mouth in faith,with power from our belly.
          Out of our bellies flow rivers of living water-God's word is living water.
          Calling those things which are not as though they are isn't how people understand it- like if I'm sick I am not going to go around all day saying so-not going to lie either but I'd rather go to the promises of God and speak what God says about my body.
          Which is a lot. If we can't believe it and act on faith (trusting God) taking him for his word than it stops us from receiving. This is part of seeking God and lining up to his word but not all that we have been told to do.

Man does not live by bread alone but by every word that procedes out of the mouth of God. God's word is powerful and we can bank our life on it.

2. Chris Neal profile image77
          Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen! In this life, Jesus has promised us that we will have suffering in this life, but if we hold fast til the end we will be saved!

Hallelujah!

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This post is not in violation of your stated objectives prior to the scriptural reference. It's intent is merely to question your understanding of said reference.

2 Timothy 2:15

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I don't think the average evangelical rightly divides truth. If there is a creator, who wants to be understood; wouldn't it follow that truth in our reality must line up with perceived truth on a cosmic scale.

This being said; every statement made that flies in the face of reality implies that those who make the statements aren't studying correctly. Which might explain why they get flustered and blustery when questioned. Isn't this a sign of being ashamed?

1. profile image0
        genaeaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It all depends on faith. Your reality depends on where your faith lies. So, it is up to you what "flies...". I recive all questions. No one knows everything about anything without putting "stock" in the  words presented. I have studied the bible extensively, but I may miss something. I'm human. But my error should never sway your faith. If I constantly insist that the sky is a besutiful shade of brown, no evidence I give to support my argument would help you to see things my way. Such as it is with the faith of those who walk this path. Ask whatever you like? My faith will answer.

1. profile image0

I'll grant you that reality, in some respects, depends on where your faith is. You think God exists. Then your reality includes a deity. You think Jesus is the son of God. It is true for you.

However, your reality becomes your delusion when you attempt to make claims that fly in the face of our collective reality. Claims that are only wishful thinking.

I've read some of your posts. You seem to be level headed. But, try insisting that the Bible shows the earth is six thousand years old, that God answers selfish prayers (while starving millions), and you have judged me hell worthy, or others from among the myriad nonsensical posts; and I'll conclude that you completely misunderstood the point when you read your Bible.

Which brings me back to my original point. The average evangelical does not divide truth rightly; so, if that particular passage is correct, they have not successfully studied. It follows that the result of their studies are not approved unto God. Which would explain behavior patterns when questioned on foolish beliefs.

1. profile image0

Who says that the average evagelist does not rightfully divide? Terms such as collective reality seem    a bit obscure since our main argument and agreement is that so many, believe so different. I have always said that God is judge, so agree on that point, however, you say I judge hell worthy?

1. profile image0

Like I said, you seem level headed. I haven't read a comment that you reserve the right to judge others on a cosmic scale.

But, collective reality is not obscure. We all have eyes to see. You referenced insisting the sky was brown. Our collective experience shows this, except perhaps on rare occasions, to be wrong. To insist that to be consistently true would be a lie, or delusion.

This goes for many arguments the Christian puts forth from their understanding of the Bible. It seems to me that, if God exists; isn't it also the Christian argument that God created this reality? So, why would he create something and then expect those who love Him to  use His word to deny any portion of his creation?

1. profile image0

Reality is again going according to faith. Some believe that the earth just happened. Some attribute the beginning to a boom. I merge the two and figure my God created the boom with his voie. Collective??? Believe it or not, we are here, why? Im sure you can guess how "collective" this respose would be...see?

2. profile image0

You call the Christian argument lies and bsurdity? According to whom? Is this a collective thing again? If so, according to who? Depends on faith.

1. profile image0

Faith does not recreate reality. You aren't gods, you know.

Or do you?

1. profile image0

What is reality to you? What is real?

2. janesix profile image59
                  janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People who consistantly disagree with concensus reality normally end up in mental institutions.

1. profile image0

What is real to you?

3. kess profile image60
      kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This thread is dead without arguments, infact any thriving thread is only so because of it.

The most interesting thing here is your rules...
      I doubt you would find bubpages policing it anyway...

Rules are no good unless they are broken, and in the breaking of these rules there is life for the rules maker and the rules keeper.

You would see that policing your rule would be your main occupation in this thread, the next would be arguing with those who agree with your rules but not your scriptural interpretation.

Otherwise it would be as boring as any other real life bible study.

By the way the term Word of Truth, what does it mean? And why does it need to be divided....

For me it is the Idea that one considers to be True, it must be complete merging  both the true and the false as a single Idea so that the man can live it without hipocrasy. So therfore it must first be divided to separate Truth and falacy , then reunited so that  both works for the same purpose....and that is Truth, Life.

1. profile image0

To me, rightly dividing is simply applying it to the right situation. Sorting out the word, however takes faith that your spirit is in tune with God so that even if you do get it wrong, your relationship with him, shows you how in time.

4. profile image0
      jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Acts 20:9
      As Paul spoke on and on, a young man named Eutychus, sitting on the windowsill, became very drowsy. Finally, he fell sound asleep and dropped three stories to his death below.

5. Chris Neal profile image77

What a great scripture!

The word "study" actually appears in the KJV but not in other English translations or Young's Literal Translation. In the Textus Receptus, the word spoudason is rendered "earnestly (study)". I'm not sure why. But the Textus Receptus reads, "Earnestly (study) yourself to show to God a workman unashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

In the context of the rest of the chapter, it means that we should work hard to show ourselves good stewards of the word of God, not getting involved in useless arguments or "vain babbling" but bringing the true light of God's Word to the people. Certainly study of the Word is important, but we must also ask for and practice wisdom, diligence and self-control.

I really, really needed to be reminded of that!

6. Jenna Pope profile image60
      Jenna Popeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What scripture are we discussing? I would very much like to participate.

Thanks,

Jenna Pope

1. profile image0

Matthew 22: 36-40

2. vector7 profile image60

What pre-rapture evidence is there in the Bible. I haven't studied this lately as I confirmed then pre-rapture scriptural evidences long ago over and over for myself, versus the sometimes suggested post-rapture. [maybe I should say don't remember why they believe in post-rap]

But, as being human, double, and triple checking for clear understanding is welcomed by me because I'm not perfect.. Just almost wink lol

But, in all seriousness, I don't believe the Bible supports a post-rapture and can't recall details, but remember being very convinced when studying the subject.

Agree? Disagree?

3. vector7 profile image60

Luke 13:1-9

1There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

2And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

3I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

5I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

6He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.

7Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?

8And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:

9And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Apparently perishing is not used in this passage as merely death. They will all die of old age, physically perishing.

And the fig tree to me is an example of God's mercy.

He could have cut us down for being unprofitable and destructive, but He chose mercy for another year - no new conditions, bearing fruit still being required, but a chance to change, repent, and do right, or bear fruit, is given and when the year is up [first death is my understanding] then the tree is judged according to it whether it is producing good fruit or not and is cut down if it isn't.

I also believe the perishing described in the first passage is connected to the suffering.

Does anyone else see the suffering as a characteristic applied to perishing here by Jesus?

4. profile image0
    genaeaposted 11 years ago

And another thing... According to my faith, every word of the bible is true. If no man could rightfully devide, the bible would not make this statement. Faith is key. If you ask a question, I give you what the word says. It is then up to you to try the spirit; search yourself. Then use your faith to believe, or not.

1. heavenbound5511 profile image65
      heavenbound5511posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ephesians 1:13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

15Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

16Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

17That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
      (we can ask God for wisdom and revelation and it is described as the spirit of wisdom and revelation)

18The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

19And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

20Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

21Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:

22And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

23Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Also Faith is believing and trusting God-which God has given us all the ability to be able to choose to believe and than from there our faith/trust in God increases because God moves on faith- if we will believe no matter what that he is faithful to do his word!

1. profile image0

Yessss!!!

5. profile image0

Oh, word of truth, the bible, for believers, for non-believers, any ol' book that goes against the bible. For the undecided, well, they're not sure.

1. kess profile image60

Have you considered the other option that does not involve any writings at all?

1. profile image0

Spiritual word?

1. kess profile image60

What is.a spiritual word to you?

To me its one where the knower need no other verification of veracity except himself...

It is the the word from you tried by you.

1. profile image0

Well, you must know if that inner word spoken is of you by applying scripture to it. If you match, you're good.

1. kess profile image60

Well ghen that sort of person can never have the faith which comes from knowing Truth...for there is always a contrary opinion to what it is that you believe, especially when it comes to Ideas that are in public domain speaking of scriptures especially.

You may decide something is Truth because of popular opinion, but it be a lie then you follow    popular opinion to your death.

The ever present example is death itself....it is a falacy which popular opinion have made true so men die because the believe the lie until they become it....

But if you believe the Truth that Life in no way can ever die, then the only thing you need as verification is you. But unpopular as it may seem you live because you believe it and it is Truth.

It is good that scriptures says the same thing but...but popular opinion has already nullified its meaning

vector7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you would like to discuss the scriptures without de-railing with off-topic arguments opposed to Christianity please do.

If you do not like the idea of understanding the Bible as Truth there are plenty of other threads headed down the path you desire. Please look for one of the discussions arleady involving your points.

I stated the purpose and reasons for this thread. Please respect them, or join the many other threads. They all have the purpose you seek.

smile

1. kess profile image60

You may police the.thread as you.see fit.

But you shall not dictate the what and how of my conversation with another person, it up them to determine what is relevan for our conversation.

It was a request to follow HubPages forum rules.

"The sole purpose of this thread is a peaceful and agreeable enviornment for Christians to study and learn the Word of God, The Holy Bible, as truth."

-OP

This is not a personal matter to me, and I will refer all off-topic discussion.

You may do as you please kess if HubPages allows it.

God bless.

smile

6. profile image0
    jomineposted 11 years ago

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she
    shall not go out as the male slaves do. If she does
    not please her master, who designated her for
    himself, then he shall let her be redeemed; he
    shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people,
    since he has dealt unfairly with her. If he designates her for his son, he shall deal with her
    as with a daughter. If he takes another wife to
    himself, he shall not diminish the food, clothing,
    or marital rights of the first wife. And if he does
    not do these three things for her, she shall go out
    without debt, without payment of money. Whoever strikes a person mortally shall be put to
    death. If it was not premeditated, but came about
    by an act of God, then I will appoint for you a
    place to which the killer may flee. But if someone
    wilfully attacks and kills another by treachery, you
    shall take the killer from my altar for execution. Whoever strikes father or mother shall be put to
    death. Whoever kidnaps a person, whether that person
    has been sold or is still held in possession, shall
    be put to death. Whoever curses father or mother
    shall be put to death. When individuals quarrel and one strikes the
    other with a stone or fist so that the injured party,
    though not dead, is confined to bed, but recovers
    and walks around outside with the help of a staff,
    then the assailant shall be free of liability, except
    to pay for the loss of time, and to arrange for full recovery. When a slave-owner strikes a male or female
    slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately,
    the owner shall be punished. But if the slave
    survives for a day or two, there is no punishment;
    for the slave is the owner's property. [Exodus,
    chapter 21]
    Amen. Let us meditate on this words of wisdom

1. profile image0

A clear distinction line between the old and new is Jesus. We have a show of what we deserve as sinners and a depiction of grace and mercy in Jesus. God is an awesome power. You seem to believe some of God's word, huh?

1. profile image0

I desire, then, that in every place the men
        should pray, lifting up holy hands without
        anger or argument; also that the women
        should dress themselves modestly and
        decently in suitable clothing, not with
        their hair braided, or with gold, pearls, or expensive clothes, but with good works, as is
        proper for women who profess reverence for God.
        Let a woman learn in silence with full submission.
        I permit no woman to teach or to have authority
        over a man; she is to keep silent. For Adam was
        formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and
        became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved
        through childbearing, provided they continue in
        faith and love and holiness, with modesty. [1
        Timothy, chapter 2]
        Amen. Another set of wise words, so I, in the name of Jesus, order you to keep silent, if you are a female.

1. profile image0

Did you read the first part? Men didn't do what they were told to do. Who spoke that word, is it rightly divided? Who were they talking to. God does not give you s gift then ask you not to use it. Please read my last post...as if... wink

1. profile image0

How dare you disobey a command given in the name of Jesus? Do I've to quote again?
            (Mathew 16) get you behind me Satan, you are an offence to me.

1. profile image0

Be careful. God is not mocked. You have so many of the wrong ideas. Rightly divide. And dont forget to mind your manners. Think you have the right idea? Go with it. Only you will feel ytheblood.     Never forget the scripture about being offensive to his childrrn because of your ignorance of it.the word also says that some are just not ever going to get it, so maybe you are of that unmber. You1 utter  disrespect is indicative of something. Maybe you just can't receive from God because of reprobation. I will pray for you.

1. profile image0

Does this mean you are  not a women or does this mean you don't give a damn about what bible says?
                Just to remind you
                "I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man." (1 Tim. 2:12-14)
                "If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off." (1 Cor. 11:6)
                "As in all the congregations of the saints, women should remain silent in the churches." (1 Cor. 14:34)

1. profile image0

I love the Lord and he did not exclude me, as a eoman, from spreading his wrd. Paul, or Timothy had rules for their churches. However in sny case, the word is true when rightly divided. Plus, there is no church here.

1. profile image0

"The priest is to burn all of the bull on the altar. It is a burnt offering, an offering made by fire, an aroma pleasing to the Lord." (Lev. 1:9)
                    "If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off." (1 Cor. 11:6)

2. Disappearinghead profile image61
          Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I'm glad my wife has born children otherwise she would not be saved. smile

1. profile image0

Oh come on!! To have petty quarrelsover the words of the bible is not allowed. you seem as if you have found something better. So why even discuss? You are welcomed to any opinion you form.  Why not just go in your closet  ask him to come and help you to understand.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61

I'm just quoting Paul; he could not have been clearer. hmm She is saved by bearing children. What's the beef? smile

Alternatively we can say Paul was giving us his opinion from a point of view of an ignorant culture. If you think he is right that women should be silent and wear silly hats, why does the Church ignore him?

And if we can ignore Paul on the subjects of silent women, silly hats, and men with shoulder length hair, we are free to disagree with anything he said if it contradicts our good conscience.

2. profile image0

Proverbs 21:19
              It is better to live alone in the desert than with a crabby, complaining wife.
              Proverbs 27:15-16 (New Living Translation)
              A quarrelsome wife is as annoying as constant dripping on a rainy day. Stopping her complaints is like trying to stop the wind or trying to hold something with greased hands.

2. profile image0

Matthew 5:17-19
        Do not think that I have come to revoke The Written Law or The Prophets; I am not come to revoke but to fulfill.Amen, I say to you that until Heaven and earth will pass away, one Yodh or one Taag and will not pass away from The Written Law until everything will happen.Everyone therefore who violates one of these small commandments and will teach thus to the children of men will be called small in the Kingdom of Heaven, but everyone who will do and will teach the same will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven

As I read what you posted Jo a thought is occurring to me. Jesus emphatically stated that anyone who violates the smallest commandments will be the least in the Kingdom. The Church says they are excluded from these statements because Jesus fulfilled the law, thus the 'anyone' must be Israel. So far so good.

So when Jesus also stated that anyone who did not believe in him would be condemned, by the argument above this 'anyone' must also exclude the Gentiles as He fulfilled the sacrificial requirements. Thus the condemnation for unbelief was upon Israel not the rest of the World. This makes some sense as the guilt of all Israel for killing the ancient prophets was visited on that generation in AD70.

Mmm I shall have to think about this.

1. profile image0

I'm not sure whether that is correct or not. Suppose my grandfathers grandfather killed  your grandfather's grandfather, is it right for you to kill me who had no idea about that, nor able to prevent the incidence?

I see what you are saying but I believe that God was so insensed by the Pharisees and religious leaders of the time, that he decided to visit upon them the punishment of their father's sins. In a sense this reinforces to me the idea that it was that generation only that would be condemned for unbelief. I'm sure I need cleansing from these heretical thoughts though.

Even with your sins erased by Christ you are still rewarded in Heaven according to the good things you have done. He doesn't erase your life, just your sins.

And for Jews and Gentiles.

Galations 3:28-29

1. profile image0

"You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell. The arrogant cannot stand in your presence; you hate all who do wrong." (Psalm 5:4-5)

1. profile image0

Exodus 4:24-25
                Quote:
                "And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him. Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me."

2. profile image0

Deuteronomy 28:53-55
                You will eat the fruit of your womb, the flesh of your own sons and daughters, while begrudging your relatives any share of your children that you are using for food.

1. profile image0

Then the Lord awoke as from sleep, as a man wakes from the stupor of wine. (Psalm 78:65)

1. Elijah7 profile image60
                    Elijah7posted 11 years agoin reply to this

† Psalm 78 : 65 - 66 †  IN CONTEXT - "LIKE A MIGHTY MAN THAT SHOUTETH" Correct English Translation - AMEN

65 Then the LORD awaked as one out of sleep, and like a mighty man that shouteth by reason of wine.

66 And he smote his enemies in the hinder parts: he put them to a perpetual reproach.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6553057_f248.jpg

One of THE classic mistakes made by people is thinking that if it's in the Bible, God must therefor be okay with it. That's not the case. There are a lot of things that are written about in the Bible that God is NOT okay with.

check out my hubs about slavery.

1. profile image0

Was Ham cursed by God, or his dad? I can't remember.

1. Chris Neal profile image77

i'm not sure what you're getting at there.

1. profile image0

That isnot one of the passages I have put much ear to. I thought that God did the cursing. At least thats how I think I heard it told. If Noah did the cursing, did it carry much weight?

Yes, Noah did the cursing, and yes, it carried a lot of weight. Leaving aside the controversy over whether it was originally Ham or Canaan who was truly Noah's son, almost nobody disputes that the story is the historical basis giving the Israelites ligitmacy in their claim to "invade and conquer" the land of Canaan.

2. profile image0

And to explain my question further: as you know, slavery is supposedly justified by this script.  I just wondered if man could send out such a fate for an entire people, or even just one. I know the "bind on earth...heaven" script . But did that include things of this magnitude, or was that sort of figuratively? Ive wondered about that particular passage. Just never studied it.

I'm aware that this verse was often sited by slavers and pro-slavery people as a justification but I'm a little unfamiliar with the why. I'll need to do some research on that.

2. janesix profile image59

Ham's son canaan was cursed by noah

1. profile image0

I also believe I heard that the curse was father to son. Thanks.

1. janesix profile image59

Well grandfather to son, noah was hams father. Canaan was hams son. But ham was the one who saw him naked, so who knows why canaan was cursed instead of ham.

1. profile image0

Oh, wow, that sounds new! smile sorry, as I said, I haven't studied this one. So what do you think, dd noah have that kind of authority?

7. profile image0
    ScottHoughposted 11 years ago

Is it really permissible in the eyes of the Lord to enslave people? Is there another meaning behind the references to slaves in the Old Testament? I'm a new Christian and I'm trying to understand. I do believe in God and that the Bible is his word.

1. profile image0

Had to be, it was allowed. One thing people agree on is that slaves existed. Why,  don't know. Another ref to "slave" spoke of being slaves of sin. Remembr, Jesus said he came to set the  "captive" free; now I believe that that wss in ref to the rigid laws set up by the church of his day, which made people "captives" of the church.

God did not want us to enslave people but knew that we would do it anyway.

I wrote some hubs about that, please check them out. I get into it in detail.

1. getitrite profile image71
        getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Get REAL!

This should be good.  I think I'll go read it.

Thank you. I always appreciate anyone who reads my stuff, whether they agree with it or not.

I do always welcome the chance to engage in conversation (as opposed to yelling matches) with anyone, whether they agree with me or not.

Look forward to talking with you!

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
        Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

God knew we would murder anyway but he still made it a sin. Why not slavery too?

You tell me.

I wrote some hubs about it, by the way.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60

It makes more sense to think that since the bible is man made, and the laws within it are man made, and that slavery was deemed acceptable at the time, that the people who wrote the bible just put their own laws in it, and since people thought slavery was acceptable at the time, why would they print a law against it?

If you read the hub, it answers the question.

God made man in His image. I believe in God, so it doesn't make more sense to me teh way  you described it. There actually were rules in ancient Israel about slavery. In the NT, although many slave-owners converted to Christianity, slavery was not a central tenet of the church.

I didn't say slavery was a tenet of any church. I asked why, if it is wrong, just like murder, is there no commandment against it?

Amsterdam has many laws for prostitution because it is legal. If it were illegal there would only be one law banning it.

Nowhere in the bible does god ban slavery. He banned coveting your neighbours wife and murder and theft, but not slavery.

You can make up anything you want to attempt to explain why, but the bottom line is that god does not ban it.

Did you read the hub?

8. profile image0

Thanks genaea, that really helps me get some perspective. I think I understand.

Like in the above quote about "When a man sells his daughter..." that's not the Lord embracing slavery, right? It's just talking about things that went on at the time. That above quote, if read by a slave master at the time, might make them think twice about mistreating slaves?

Help me genaea, what am I missing? Why doesn't the Lord just say, "Thou shalt not enslave they neighbour?" I can't believe the Lord would look kindly on slavery. Am I wrong?

1. profile image0

I really don't know how the Lord "feels" about slavery. He allowed it. Plus, we have free will. We are    allowed to decide what we do good, bad or indifferent.

9. profile image0

Thanks for your help guys. I'm sorry for being so inexperienced with Christianity. I'm also autistic and it sometimes takes me a little while to catch on. I'm really trying to absorb God's word and live it.

You can ask as many questions as you like about the Bible Scott. I'll answer every one I see. No promises I'll be super fast but I'm sure another Christian wouldn't mind helping, they already seem to be doing good.

You can also email me if you want.

I'll won't get weary with you, that I can promise.

Chris Neal is excellent with this subject and explains things well. We'll see if we can borrow his services

smile

2. Elijah7 profile image60

May The Lord JESUS heal thee Scott brother - AMEN & AMEN

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6553066_f248.jpg

Watch these LIVE HEALING VIDEOS for Encouragement - AMEN :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhpE1CK3 … r_embedded

† James 5 : 13 - 15 †

"Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms. Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."

10. profile image0

Deuteronomy Chapter 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
    Wisdom again.
    {bas·tard   [bas-terd] noun
    person born of unmarried parents; an illegitimate child.}

Who did you say jesus father was,again?

Leviticus Chapter 21:16-20 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, "Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken."
    Amen! Amen!
    Holy bible, holy talk. Amen Amen Amen!

Hey jomine....

Glad to see you are FINALLY studying Holy Scripture.

Leviticus was Written around 1470 BC or so.

Holiness was IMPOSED on The Hebrew children to SET THEM APART from the idol cursed gentile nations of the REST OF THE PLANET.

Very strict LAWS were Imposed in The Wilderness to MAKE A PEOPLE WORTHY OF THE HOLY LORD - Amen

Note : PRIOR to the 40 year Sojourn in NNW Arabia (Sinai Holy Precinct)
      LAMB'S BLOOD WAS UPON THE LINTEL DOOR POSTS, to SHOW The Passover Angel of Death NOT TO DESTROY the firstborn in such homes.

The Passover Lamb was an IMPOSED SACRAMENT for The Hebrew people.

The Most Holy Bible is a HISTORY BOOK.

The blood of the lambs in 1491 BC, POINTED To The Lamb Of God ,
      JESUS, Giving His Life for the SINS of ALL who WILL Believe. - Amen

Fulfilled 1,524.5 years later in AD 33.5 On The Cross Of Christ.

WHY?

The Historical Sin Nature of The Hebrew people (AND ALL PEOPLE) PROVED that only a very few of The Holiest COULD KEEP THE SINAI LAWS.

JESUS' Opened Up THE NEW TESTAMENT IN HIS OWN BLOOD.

ONE FINAL SACRIFICE FOR ALL WHO WILL TRULY BELIEVE.

AMEN & AMEN

† Romans 3 : 21 - 26 †

"But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
      Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus."

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6552915_f248.jpg

http://www.TheSevenThunders.org/C7-Musi … rCross.mp3

http://www.TheSevenThunders.org/C7-Musi … ng-MAN.mp3

Right Click Above Two Song Links To OPEN - THE WORDS SAY EVERYTHING - (weeping - real tears - Amen)

1. profile image0

Whom did you say Jesus father was?

GOD HIMSELF - THE CREATOR OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE, BOTH SEEN AND UNSEEN  - AMEN

† Matthew 1 : 18 †

"Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of ]the Holy Ghost."

http://www.TheSevenThunders.org/C7-Musi … y-Wise.mp3

http://www.TheSevenThunders.org/C7-Musi … onders.mp3

LISTEN

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6554002_f248.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6554006_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

So it was the ghost, the adulterer? Or was it god himself?

God IS A Spirit.

God Is JEHOVAH (The Father)

God Is JESUS The Son Of Man.

God IS The Immaculate Holy Ghost Himself.

God IS Everywhere In His Creation SIMULTANEOUSLY.

God IS In The Past, The Present and The Future.

THIS IS GOD :

† Genesis 1 : 1 †

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."

TO (EVERYWHERE IN BETWEEN) :-

† Revelation 22 : 21 †

"The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen."

The only question left is WHEN will YOU Understand "GRACE" jomine ???

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6555615.jpg

http://www.TheSevenThunders.org/C7-Musi … yHeart.mp3

LISTEN

1. profile image0

So it is god who is the adulterer?
                And how many gods are there?

11. profile image0

Deuteronomy 25:11-12
    If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity

Deuteronomy 23:1 ESV

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose male organ is cut off shall enter the assembly of the Lord.

SAME COMMENT AS ABOVE

12. profile image0

The "sons of God" copulated with the "daughters of men," and had sons who became "the mighty men of old, men of renown." Genesis 6:2-4

† Genesis 6 : 1 - 4 †

"And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown."

IT TOOK NOAH AND FAMILY (EIGHT SOULS) 120 YEARS TO BUILD THE ARK.

YOU CAN VISIT WHAT'S LEFT OF IT ANYTIME :-

In fact jomine, why don't you take A HIKE...

http://www.ArkDiscovery.com/noah%27s_ark.htm

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6552939_f248.jpg

13. profile image0

Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt..There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses Ezekiel 23:19-20

1. profile image0

I haven't searched the prostitute scripts but I do know that the church was likened to a prostitute for going with other doctrines. I gotta see.

Not the Church; Israel.

Ezekiel 23:27

3. Elijah7 profile image60

jomine...............READ PROPERLY PLEASE - THANKYOU

† Ezekiel 23 : 19 - 30 †

"Yet she multiplied her whoredoms, in calling to remembrance the days of her youth, wherein she had played the harlot in the land of Egypt. For she doted upon their paramours, whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.

Thus thou calledst to remembrance the lewdness of thy youth, in bruising thy teats by the Egyptians for the paps of thy youth.

Therefore, O Aholibah, thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will raise up thy lovers against thee, from whom thy mind is alienated, and I will bring them against thee on every side; The Babylonians, and all the Chaldeans, Pekod, and Shoa, and Koa, and all the Assyrians with them: all of them desirable young men, captains and rulers, great lords and renowned, all of them riding upon horses. And they shall come against thee with chariots, wagons, and wheels, and with an assembly of people, which shall set against thee buckler and shield and helmet round about: and I will set judgment before them, and they shall judge thee according to their judgments.

And I will set my jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they shall take away thy nose and thine ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters; and thy residue shall be devoured by the fire. They shall also strip thee out of thy clothes, and take away thy fair jewels.

Thus will I make thy lewdness to cease from thee, and thy whoredom brought from the land of Egypt: so that thou shalt not lift up thine eyes unto them, nor remember Egypt any more.

For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will deliver thee into the hand of them whom thou hatest, into the hand of them from whom thy mind is alienated: And they shall deal with thee hatefully, and shall take away all thy labour, and shall leave thee naked and bare: and the nakedness of thy whoredoms shall be discovered, both thy lewdness and thy whoredoms.

I will do these things unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the heathen, and because thou art polluted with their idols."

ALL FULFILLED IN REAL HISTORY - AFTER THE PROPHECY ABOVE.

THE MOST HOLY BIBLE IS A SUPERNATURAL HISTORY BOOK - AMEN.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6552973_f248.jpg

14. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 11 years ago

That's why I never go off-topic! EVER! roll roll roll

15. calynbana profile image78
    calynbanaposted 11 years ago

I know this is a Bible study thread but I feel the strong need to comment. I am Christian and I find this thread slightly embarrassing and discriminatory. How is rejecting free discussion and the inquiries of non- believers showing the love of Christ? I should not be nervous about the possibility of being reported for questioning a thread respectfully. Especially a thread where Christians are discussing the Bible.

1. profile image0

Prob came in when the birds, to eat seeds planted came into the last discussion with disresectful agendas this thread was started to bring peace  for the one who believes. Not all believers are strong and could be misled. No ill was intended.

1. calynbana profile image78
        calynbanaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can understand that I have been in some very frustrating conversations lately myself with trolls but at the same time the wording of this thread and the deleting of comments has spurred the creation of another thread. A thread that is basically hating on Christians and deleting Christian responses. Believers that are not very strong in their faith will grow stronger by seeing the opposing points and the Christian responses. More so than if they are surrounded by Christians who are only affirming their belief. When these believers do encounter strong atheistic opposition they would be less equipped to deal with it and more likely to be led astray.

1. profile image0

Good point.

Don't worry. They can over run this one as well. I've given up the threads.

They have plenty of threads to enjoy their bickering against Christianity. What about the Christians? Do they not deserve to learn without someone dragging them into the repetitive petty arguments?

Yes, they hate Christians. There is nothing new there, and if you'd like to blame me then do so. But recognize the truth. I did it to try to help prople who want to discuss the Bible without it being attacked. They can attack it in the hundreds of other threads they have, how many should they get? I try to reserve a single thread for those who choose to believe and now I'm a criminal?

They are led astray plenty in the forums anyhow. Enabling them to do whatever they wish and mock people without question giving them no rest day or night and shoving their bickering in between Christian dialogue has made me sick to my stomach.

They do what they accuse Christians of doing. They can have their forums, and they can bicker. They can hate me all they like. I've been disliked by most everyone and Christ said it would be that way if I followed Him TRUTHFULLY. I take my cross, I teach Christ's Words. I don't go looking for atheists, they come looking for me to mock my God and my Jesus. And when I enter other threads they can speak anything they choose as I have the option of leaving. And most in the forums do not care to learn anything, I've been here for a year and nothing has changed.

This thread was NOT to bicker. It was to learn, but that is not possible because I'm a criminal for wanting to peacefully discuss the Bible with other people who choose to believe the same in a single thread out of hundreds of threads.

No, Christians shouldn't have the right to a single peaceful thread should they? Click their thread, interject your opposing ideas in their attempt to learn and create chaos so they cannot speak to one another in light of the bickering caused.

God bless you and I sincerely hope that you don't think that my attempt was so horrible and I caused all these problems you say I caused, as if I did some heiness act.

I know you mean well, but be careful how judgement is made.

This isn't a direct response, btw. It is partially to you and what applies, to others.

I didn't say you intended to start anything, I understand you frustration I truly do! I have been attempting similar conversations and run into similar atheistic bickering. By trying to push them aside we feed into their opinion of us, Christians can continue to study the Bible and simply ignore the trolling comments, and respond to the comments that seem to be coming from a place of genuine interest. It works! Believe me. Give it a try, start a thread studying the Bible, allow the atheists to comment. Ignore the comments trying to start a fight and just continue on in your conversation. Deleting their comments spurs them on. Just flat out don't engage them. The beauty of it is that once they post they keep getting the notifictations right? They keep seeing the Christian discussion unfolding...and eventually they get bored of acting childish and will give up. It took three days for me to get past the atheist rebuttals before getting a good conversation going, it is frustrating but doable. I hope I am not coming across as judgemental, I am just a little preturbed by what I saw in the two posts.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
              Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes - you are coming across as judgmental and condescending.

This is why your religion causes so many fights.

Just like most other religions including atheism. Just to add to your comment.

3. profile image0

Good point.

1. profile image0

1 Corinthians 11:14
            Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,
            http://www.indianinthemachine.com/sananda2.jpg

1. profile image0

Do you really think that this is Jesus? Nevertheless, even if he did have long hair, it is not a hell or heart issue. This post says what???

I am also a little baffled by the post...

2. calynbana profile image78

3. calynbana profile image78

4. calynbana profile image78

5. calynbana profile image78

6. calynbana profile image78

7. profile image0

It says fictions are not facts.

1. profile image0

Right! That is not a picture of Jesus. I understand now.

1. profile image0

Yes, fictional characters are represented based on the painters imagination.

2. getitrite profile image71

Yet that picture will remain stuck in your psyche for eternity, no matter how much you try to convince yourself that it is not a likeness of Jesus.

It's part of the brainwashing.

jomine...................Single Verses of Holy Scripture are EXCELLENT.

When they appear to be contradictory READ ON :

† 1 Corinithians 11 †

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

i have NO such Custom - AMEN

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6552861_f248.jpg

16. Druid Dude profile image59
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

I disagre with both of you. Cosmic truth is at your door. It was foretold that it would be, and that day is upon us. Sek the truth of Melchesidek and se the truth of man and the spirit which dwels in al things.smile

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you serious?  May I ask what you mean by the truth of Melchisedec?  (I'm assuming you do know the Bible mentions him)?

† Hebrews 5 : 5 - 6 †

"So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec."

† Hebrews 6 : 20 †

"Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec."

Read THE ENTIRE HOLY TRUTH HERE - AMEN :

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ersion=KJV

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6553015_f248.jpg

http://www.TheSevenThunders.org/C7-Musi … heLord.mp3

Try these Song Words ABOVE - Right Click - OPEN - ENJOY - AMEN

17. Druid Dude profile image59

My keyboard refuses to do double leters!

18. Druid Dude profile image59

I'm haunted!smile

1. profile image0

Aaawwww:(... You did good on door...see? It's not all bad smile

19. koffice1007 profile image59
    koffice1007posted 11 years ago

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

20. artblack01 profile image61
    artblack01posted 11 years ago

Let's assume that I The existence of Jesus and God are true (which you obviously believe they are) now, let's also assume that it is possible to convert me to your beliefs.  Other than the threat of eternal damnation or eternal salvation (being close to god and such), what reason do I have for wanting to be a Christian?  Let's compare it to say, clubs, most clubs are based on things that are true...  someone wants you to join their club, but you find them morally repulsive and somewhat arrogant self righteous unfriendly jerks who laugh at anyone who is not in their club....  now you tell me, WHY would I or anyone join such a club?  This is how I feel when I encounter people such as you, Vector7, you laugh at everything we nonbelievers or other believers say and you don't even have the courtesy to have a decent friendly neighborly conversation.  I could even talk about the Bible with you in a friendly manner, yet you are so unfriendly you anger me to the point of me having to resort to calling you names that label your behavior towards us nonbelievers.  I recently had a debate (very friendly) with Headlyvonnoggin, he's a nice guy, I did end the conversation with him because talking to him was often like talking to a brick wall but he's a good guy and I like him and would definitely debate with him again.  I'd even envite him to lunch and pay if he lived in my town.  You, however, are not friendly, not a good person.  Why would I want to be a Christian if the majority of Christians are like yourself, not very nive or friendly people?   If you are the model for what a Christian is like, why would I want to be a Christian?  Because you think you are better then everyone else?  Lots of people think this but I don't want to associate with them either.

Now Delete away.

Ever heard of paragraphs? lol

Ever noticed this thread is useless now?

Ever noticed the four hour window for editing?

Noticing what I'm laughing at and that it has nothing to do with your belief? LOL

You talk like bill gates but walk like stephen hawking.

Your 'judgement' is void of foundation. You aren't the judge. lol

I still love you, but you'll hate me for caring and say I'm being condescending.

You'll accuse me of this and that.. etc.. etc.. But I love you. And Jesus loves you.

And btw. YOU don't know me. And YOU bash me every chance you get.

And YOU will never be correct in your accusations, especially sitting on the other side of that million meter data path you've never crossed to meet me in person.

Hey Art. I still love you. Like it or not.

Btw, I know how to forgive.

smile

1. artblack01 profile image61
        artblack01posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ha, hypocrisy, seems you also don't get the concept of an intelligent debate. You have never once offered an intelligent rebuttal to anything just mocking ad hominen attacks. You are a self righteous jerk and I see no love in one word you have ever said to myself or ANYONE who has been counter to your belief system.
        You can believe what you like, I'd rather believe what is true.... And ever try and write a paragraph on a smart phone? It's not easy pal. These phones aren't very smart.
        As far as forgiveness goes, you can only forgive a person who is sincerely sorry. I don't believe either of us will ever be. I know I'm not.

Hey artblack, a lot of what you have been saying to Vector about what you think of his behaviour I have been thinking about  a lot of the atheists I have run into on these threads, as well as many of the theists. I do not think that we can fully grasp what people are trying to say or their tones through text but I agree that it is often hostile. Most Christians, and most atheists are not that hostile however. Honestly I do not think even the ones  on these threads are as hostile as they may come across as online.

I have been trying for awhile to get a friendly and intellectual chat going with people of different beliefs. If you want to talk about things seriously without a boatload of insults then I would be game.

Let me know, these threads have been severely disappointing so far...

21. profile image0

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves. (Numbers 31:17-18)

22. profile image0

If I am lying, I will be excused. I believe what I'm saying. You have been demeaning. You have said some things that have been taken back. No problem...I do remember correctly. No sweat for me though. I've been  called much worse, for much less. I think the anger occurs because I seem smug to you. But correction, I am sure. You're still putting the puzzle together, I'm relaxing at the spa. Peace is promised to them who follow. Don't be jealous...grab a towel.

23. Druid Dude profile image59

a forum which discourages debate and discussion, isn't a forum. To discourage debate and discussion is just using the forum as a personal soapbox. If you want everyone to agree with you...go write a hub and filter the comments. Remember, Caesar was horribly assasinated in the forum at Rome for which all forums are named. To preach to the converted is nothing but being a publican. You were charged with spreading the truth...not keeping it hidden amongst those who believe the way you do.

1. profile image0

Who is this post directed to?

24. profile image0

By the way...this is a biblical forum. My thing. Who intruded?

1. profile image0

No genaea. This is a Religion and Philosophy forum. It's a biblical thread. Had you not been seeking an argument, you would have simply discussed your understanding of the  meaning  of the scripture I had referenced and how it differed from my statement.

If you have a problem with other opinions this is, probably, the worst environment you could share your thoughts in. An internet forum is freedom at its finest. All views are allowed. If you hope to exclude any view you'll have to start your own forum and make your own rules.

And I promise, a forum dedicated to nothing but regurgitating other people's thoughts is one I wouldn't bother to participate in.

1. profile image0

See how you argue over words? I would have responded to you in the way you feel appropriate? Ego... A religion and philosophy forum...biblical thread? Let me get this straight... You, who don't believe in the bible, are on a biblical thread? And I'm the trouble maker??? I'm PUSHING my views on people??? I'm trying to force somebody to  see things my way...on a biblical thread??? Regurgitating other peoples' thoughts...ms. consensus? How are you thinking? You are more confusing than ever. Please explain. You are really looking strange from here. I don't understand.

1. profile image0

If you read through our exchange, I've never attempted to insist you leave. I think everyone has a right to post. You should probably calm down, check your ego; and rethink the belief that you can dictate anything in an open forum.

I have never considered you a trouble maker. Nor has making trouble been my intent. Everyone doesn't always have to agree with you.

You obviously have issues. I'll leave you to deal with them. Have a nice day.

1. profile image0

Well thanks! The only issue I have is the projection of your own actions onto me. I have never tried to insist you leave. I only responded to your posts. If you read them again, you will see who the ego belongs to. Again, you have only disrespected me, and not respond. You say I try to push beliefs off on you, in a biblical discussion. Huh? Then label me delusional? You should open your mind to the facts of this conversation. Print it in its entirety and find my pushing or being disrespectful. Take your time. However, if you have decided to go...just go.

2. profile image0
          jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

genaea, it's perfectly obvious that you are here in this forum to proselytize your own particular points of view on your religion.

If there is a pubic discussion, on whatever topic, you cannot expect to have a private chat, protected by a wall of cosiness.

You have repeatedly contradicted anyone here who has an opposite view to yours, because you have this inner conviction that you had (have) a personal connection to god.  Don't ever be surprised that others would see you as a bigot.

1. profile image0

I was not expecting to have a closed conversation. I just assumed that a biblical scriptural conversation would include only those who believe it. I never minded about your presence in the conversation, but terms such as delusional, need addressing. You called me delusional because of my views and because I disagreed with you, rather well let me add, with biblical ideas; you and your "crew" got angry and hurled more names with misinterpreted scripture as your weapon??? I have no problems with the disagreement, it's the sheer disrespect for the way I believe. Again, I'm not now, nor have I ever been rude, or asked you to leave the discussion, I exchanged as you exchanged. Now bigot, because I have a relationship with God? Thanks! wink see... I don't mind if you call me names, I'm flattered, God has a special plan because of the name-calling. I think you got mad though that I'm sure of what I'm saying and your distractions were not effective. Sorry, you must think again if your first thought led you to believe that you could make me doubt. Try someone else... Then send them to us. I will be waiting with my armor.

1. profile image0

Genaea, I am not mad at you or angry....and I don't have a team here.  My words are from my self, even though they might seem to concur with other's posts.

I am watching your search for identity, and feel sorry that you have already built a wall around your knowledge, unassailable it would seem.

1. profile image0

Well I was just about to send the same sentiment for you. wink I cannot tell that you are not angry from all your name-callin' but hey, some people just don't like to be challenged. I can handle your outbursts. I am mature. I cannot fathom the "bible is b.s., and God is not real, Jesus was ordinarily a sinner" nonsense. I didn't come to "your" thread to share my views. But that was not enough for you. You insisted on coming to tell me about me, when I'm talking about God. I'm glad you came though. It was great to share the Spirit with you. No, I can't agree with the fact that I'm delusional, it is a crazy notion to me, but I consider the source. you can't help the way you are...but God can. Talk to me all you like, but by now, you know what comes next.

1. janesix profile image59

Genaea, anyone can come into any thread and share their views. This is a public forum. Not your church.

1. profile image0

Again I say, sharing views is just that. This here? Has escalated into a personal attack session at times because of my views. Yes, this is a public domain, however, adults (and I'm assuming that we all are) should be able to share their views w/o all the juvenile attacks on my views. Am I not part of the public? Should my views be "tolerated" as others w/o bickering? This has really been funny. My copies of the comments are great book material.

25. profile image0
    SirDentposted 11 years ago

Isaiah 5:21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

1. profile image0

Amen!

2. profile image0

Confession or autobiography?

1. profile image0

See what happens every time the word is posted? The smart mouth.

26. profile image0

Also, in a public thread where all views are heard, why should delusional be allowed? Can't you think of a netters argument? My views have been proven to me continuously throughout my life. You were not there. What gives you the right, as a protector of world views, to say that I am the one delusional?

I am not sure what you mean by nay sayers but in my experience of conversing with you, you make a lot of assertions which requires you to provide evidence for those assertions. Noone has to disprove those assertions, you have to prove them because you are the one that made the claim.

If you can't demonstrate them to be true, then logically, you have no reason to believe they are true, hence your beliefs are deemed delusional.

Why shouldn't delusional be allowed if it is fitting to the definition?

What you are offended by is subjective. I might be offended by people calling me timid, or brash, but since it is subjective, the moderators use their own subjective opinion to decide. You might not agree with them and neither may I, but is has to be regulated someway or another.

I had a funny thought on this recently that has nothing to do with the thread (sorry). If I wear a T shirt that says "Infidel" on it, and it offends muslims, should I be persecuted for offending the muslims or should the "offendee's" be persecuted for forcing their beliefs and opinions on me by telling me what I cannot wear?

1. profile image0

Since this is America, we get to wear what we want. But you may not be able to wear that shirt in a Mosque. See, here, all views are allowed. Say what you will. Since you won't correct yourself, what offends me is the fact that I was called the names and then called an offense. Takes a big ball of ego to see me as delusional. I don't have to prove why I believe the way I believe, though I've already done it. I can prove without a shadow of doubt that God is real and Jesus is king of kings. But you won't believe that. It takes faith. Just as it takes faith to believe that your so-called evidence to prove me delusional is real. I put my faith in God. Where is your faith? This is another one that gets no answer, let's see how well you do.

I don't think you have learned anything from the last few days here. You are still confused about what proof means despite many people informing you of your misunderstanding. Until you can adhere to the most commonly accepted (dictionary) definitions then I don't think you can have a meaningful discussion.

You still talk about proof and faith in the same sentence which makes it obvious to me that you still do not understand the meaning of the words. If you can prove god then you don't need faith and if you need faith, it is because you cannot prove god.

You also seem to be under the impression that one NEEDS to have faith. Unless you can demonstrate WHY one NEEDS to have faith, then that belief will fall in to the category of delusional since I cannot see any reason as to why that would be true.

It doesn't take a big ball of ego to see your views as a delusion. All it takes is your lack of evidence.

Where is my faith? Who says faith is a good thing? Maybe faith is NOT a virtue, maybe faith is a bad thing? Ever thought about that? Why should I even NEED faith? Do you have a good reason?

1. profile image0

Since you are big on definitions, I know you won't have a prob with this. What is faith. Believing without proof? Evidence of things not seen? Why have I been proven delusional? Who tells you that there is proof that my view is wrong? Where is your evidence? You can just call me delusional without first showing why you believe as such. See, none of us were there. So, once and for all, you have to put your faiths in whatever you believe. If you don't believe the bible, then you believe some other report. Therefore, since you were not there (didnt personally witness) you gotta pit some faith into believing whatever you believe. You did not personally witness. Do you understand?

Nonsense. I don't have to have "faith in things unseen," to not believe your story.

This is why your religion causes so many fights. sad

1. profile image0

You have to have faith in something, unless you were there. Right??? If I believe that your report that we won the Superbowl last night is true without first seeing the game or reading my paper, and I celebrate; I have just pit faith into your words. Sounds simple enough to me. I think you don't went to get it.

I get it just fine thanks. I would not take your word for it. I would watch a recording before I believed anything you said.

What exactly am I supposed to be having the same faith as you do in?

Or - can you be honest and admit that you are attacking me to defend your irrational beliefs?

1. profile image0

You feel attacked? The word stands on it's own. I font need to attack you to defend it. You are one who consistently comes to hear me speak it. I know you have the desire to know more. Ask God to come in. This time next year, you'll have your own evidence of his awesome.

Because after many requests, you have failed to provide any evidence or proof for your claims.

I am not asserting that you are wrong, I am simply requesting you to provide evidence or proof for your claim. I don't have to disprove your claim. It is YOUR claim, so you need to prove it and if you cannot, then you fall in to the category of delusional.

My beliefs are not in question. I haven't even stated any of my beliefs. It is YOUR beleifs that YOU are asserting hence YOU need to prove them.

I did not personally witness YOUR claims hence I do not believe them. I am not asserting that they are right OR wrong but YOU ARE. Do YOU understand? I am not making the assertion so I have nothing to prove but YOU ARE.

If you cannot prove what YOU are asserting then YOU fall in to the category of delusional.

1. profile image0

Now, I see you as delusional. If you think that the discussion is supposed to be one-sided then what are we doing? I cannot prove to you my view. You cannot prove to me my view is wrong. Circular??? I have nothing to prove. I believe what I believe because I believe the book it was written in. Circular??? We don't have the same faith. Yours in man. Mine in God. Play with those words all you want. My word that I'm the only one here not delusional will be crushed underneath your load of evidence, you haven't the need to produce, conveniently. I am so happy to have had this exchange. My faith is stronger. No one here can say that they didn't receive the message. Do we all agree that this baby can be put to bed?  You are rude. You are so rude and unnecessarily so.

1. profile image0

After reading through the last few hours of exchanges I think everyone gets the message. Not the one you did, however.

You conclusions appear to be;

If you don't agree with genaea, it's a personal attack on genaea. If one doesn't accept everything you say as'truth', it's a personal attack.

My conclusion;

You aren't interested in dialogue. This appears to be an exercise in faith for you. But, what do you think you are accomplishing?  Little more than self gratification, from where I stand. Sometimes I wonder if a moment such as this was why the 'brush the dust from your sandals' command was given. To avoid devolving into emotional conclusions. To avoid doing more harm than good to what you perceive as the higher cause.  To avoid allowing oneself to take things personally that, truly, have nothing personal about them.

1. profile image0

You've decided what EVERYBODY can see, based from your readings, that the message was received by everyone but me??? You speak for EVERYONE? Since I am the only one on this side of the argument, I can agree. But you seem to view it as a bad thing. Victory is mine, says the Lord. He won THIS fight long ago! As for you quoting from the imaginary... brushing the sandals, was given to one who was sent to anothers' town to spread the good news, since this domain belongs to no one, my sandals are clean. I didn't come to you...you came to me. And another thing, if you had read over the last few hours of this exchange, then you realize that I do not consider your disagreement a personal attack, it was the personal attack that was considered the personal attack.  If you're cool, I'm cool. You seem offended, but your conviction has nothing to do with me.

I havent told you a single belief of mine nor have I made an assertion or claim so where is the delusion? How can I be delusional if I am not making a claim about anything?

For the millionth time, I AM NOT SAYING YOUR VIEW IS WRONG. I am asking you to prove YOUR CLAIM that you are right.

YES YOU DO. You have to prove everything that you are telling me is the truth because YOU ARE THE ONE ASSERTING IT.

WHAT??? You are just stating that you believe the bible. WHY!?!?!?!?!? YOu haven't give a single reason for your belief. Not one.

Faith in man? When did I tell you that? Why do you insist on making things up about me? You are incredibly dishonest and if you actually believe the things you are making up about me then you are delusional and I can prove that your assertions are a delusion because they are about ME.

I'm not playing with anything. You were the one using definitions of words that noone else adheres to if I recall. What evidence of mine are you talking about? I don't need any evidence because I HAVEN'T MADE A CLAIM.

You are the only one making claims here and just because I am questionning you, you are claiming that I am wrong? How can I be wrong? I am just asking you questions about what you are claiming.

I put my life savings on you not being able to explain that one.

I am rude? Because I ask you questions that you cannot answer or dont understand?

I think it is rude for you to make up lies about me and assert them as fact. I also think it is rude for you to make claims and then insult my intelligence because I don't believe you and ask you for evidence, which, I might add, you do not have.

I doubt you will ever learn anything from posting here. In my experience of your posts, you have no basis for your beliefs, and when questionned, you attack the questionners intelligence.

1. profile image0

You have been the intelligence police from the beginning. You ask for evidence. I give you bible. That isn't sufficient for you. I have given all my reasons for believing but it is delusional to you. So, what is the point of the conversation? You want to intellectualize me to death??? I cannot play your game. I can assert anything I want. It is up to you to believe or not. I don't have to prove anything to you. But I suggest you prove it to yourself. But, that's my opinion. And everybody's got one.

2. profile image0

I haven't made up anything. I understand fully what you guys are doing. But if you follow my posts, you will see who starts the ball of confusing nothingness to distract from the real purpose. Why are you so insistant that this thread not carry out its purpose? Didn't your people start a thread for your type of biblical discussion? This action of yours to take away from the believer is impish. It's like I'm in a room of tormentors. Since I am protected from your kind, I will stay here. Let's talk about the goodness of the Lord. Enough about me. I mean this is bible study and you've added nothing but strife. Thanks for allowing the father to speak to your hearts for so long.

2. profile image0

Jesus was a hippy - I am not writing to defend Genaea here, but need to point a flaw in your logic.... well meant and not intended to offend you in any way.

Where Genaea says she has a Belief, it is NOT a Fact, then you don't need a belief, because a Fact can be proven.

Thus Genaea is welcome to continue in her belief(s) and is not required to provide "proof."  However, that is IF she puts out things as her Beliefs.  Once she states something as Fact then she must be able to offer proof.

1. profile image0

No proof exists for you. What I speak of is foreign to you all. My faith is sure. You must seek it...then you will find it. But can you really look for something that you don't believe is there? None of you believe me, why must you stay? Cuz you want me to KNOW you don't believe me??? Ok. I get it. Now, anyone ready for BIBLE discussion for believers? You all are excused from delving any further into my delusion. By the way, if I see one, obviously delusional, I don't stop for conversation about "the voices" to convince him that he is only hearing things. I give him medicine, and send him home. Since I am home...do you mind???

Genaea has stated many things to me as facts and that is why I requested evidence.

I agree with you 100%

27. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

So, Genaea, let me try to sum up your position here. 

I am guessing that you gave up on a literal interpretation of the bible because, as a thinking and rational person, you found there was so much you found implausible.  Let's face it, you were not there in biblical times, so you cannot know for sure what was meant by all those writings.

So, you do a bit of mental gymnastics and come to the conclusion that the stuff going on in your mind was "God" speaking to you.  NOW you have something to play with.  You can tell others that "God" has spoken to you.  You have "met" "Him." 

This is all very acceptable.  It's a common human trait, so you are not abnormal, not to be despised for it.  Each of us needs to feel we are on a road to understanding. 

However, you then start referring to what your mind has experienced as share-able facts.  That is what raises the annoyance of thinking people in this Hub.

If you were to simply describe to us what you feel you have experienced, then say "I believe that what I have experienced was God talking to me..."  we could accept your version of things and warm to your journey.  Do you see what I am getting at?

1. profile image0

Yes, I get it. Just say what I believe. Hmmmm... That poses a problem because not everyone agrees. Then, I am "delusional" because of what I believe. I'm sorry that I know I'm right, and you and your people are unsure. I BELIEVE what I say. I have all the evidence I need for me. This thread is a bible discussion, not Genaea discussion. We have not done what we are supposed to do.

Let's talk about the BIBLE then.

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent."

LOL

1. profile image0

You naughty boy, Mark! cool

NO LAUGHING IN CLASS !

Just sayin' what the bible says. big_smile

I agree let us talk about the Bible. That is an interesting verse,  what do you think about it Mark?

It stands alone. Why should I think anything about it? It is an instruction. Let me guess - you have a vagine?

It is an instruction, in a particular context. In literature it is very rare that one line can stand alone. Do you agree?

Also yes I am a woman, but that is not relevant. The only reason I am telling you is so that you can be happy you assumed correctly and we can continue to discuss the Bible. smile

The bible is pretty clear that women are property. In context? Yes - 2,000 years ago in the middle east? Women were chattels. Still are. Of course it is relevant that you own a vagine. lol

You should stay property and not be allowed to speak. According to god.

How funny that you want to go against the word of god to preach it. lol

This is why your religion causes so much conflict.

2. profile image0

Come on! This is silly. You cannot permit me to speak. I have nothing but the word of God as my backing. Your scripture is for the church as you said before? This is no church, as I have been reminded. I am permitted by God. What would you like to learn?

28. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 11 years ago

Really? You don't think the context of the Middle East is important?

Seems like you want to preach and at the same time take the bible out of context.

You know - Middle East. 2,000 years ago. You think women could preach? I think not, but I am certain you can rationalize it to make it seem like I am ragging on religion when you are clearly going against the word of god.

In context.

Middle East. Women property today. Imagine 2,000 years ago.

Context.

Yes that context matters, I never said it didn't. I said there is more to it. The culture in which an author writes heavily impacts the writing. But doesn't the subject the author is writing about matter too?

You need the context of the document. Not just the culture. If I was to analyze a midsummers night dream based soley on the culture during Shakespeares lifetime I would be very confused about the fairies. I would have to read the play to understand why their were fairies, not just one line about Bottom right?

You need the context of the book, then the culture of the author to understand a piece of writing such as this one.

Often you also need to understand the way language was used in that time and culture, same as when you are reading shakespeare.

I am not preaching to you Mark, I am telling you to treat the Bible books like any other piece of literature and take the time to understand the subject matter.

If you don't do that then it is easy to take things out of context without realizing it. That is what I think happened here. Read the surrounding verses if you want to understand what I am talking about. smile

there*

1. profile image0

Thanks;) Knowledge is power!

29. profile image0

Probably would have known that already if the book were read. I'm just saying...

30. Jenna Pope profile image60
    Jenna Popeposted 11 years ago

We want to follow the truth, assimilate it and make it a part of us. This is important in this day and age with so many New Age religions. Scriptural purity is so important.

1. profile image0

Yes, you must keep it on your mind and think about it daily. It is not a way into hell, it is a way out. We have instructions. It is up to us to know them and agree wholeheartedly.

31. GinaCPocan profile image60
    GinaCPocanposted 11 years ago

Angry? How is he angry, simply cause he prefers not to deal with your childish rhetoric. Apparently, you seem to be angry. That's too bad. At leased we have no doubt about our fate. You believe in nothingness. Sorry about your luck. I will pray for you though. tongue

1. profile image0

I'm imagining that this message was for the one who hates the bible?

1. GinaCPocan profile image60
        GinaCPocanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He doesn't Hate the bible, he is afraid of it.  he is afraid to see his convictions. That's all, and your right, it was for the angry one.

1. profile image0

Ok, I thought another hatred popped up smile so glad to see you. Thanks for the help. Fear, the one emotion we didn't get from God, is a good way to describe what he's going through. I will stand in agreement with you in prayer.

We god everything from God. The bible says he is the Creator of all things, the dark and the light.  Anger is his as well. Don't forget when Jesus turned those tables over in the temple. Anger isn't a bad emotion. Its how you use it is what matters. You can use it for good, or you can use it for bad, you must choose. God gives us freewill, but wants his children disciplined.
            He chooses to be angry at his own reflection. So he projects it at us because we are a threat to him and his moral. Submitting to God, would mean confessing he is a sinner like the rest of us, and he is way too proud for that.
            You know what God says about pride. smile

1. profile image0

For sure! It goes before destruction. But when we pray...
              Also, I was sure that there was a scripture that said, for God hath not given us the spirit of fear. Haven't had my bible for weeks bit I will Google. I try to stay on track with the truth. And yes, it is hard to hear the word of God when you don't submit. We ALL get the knock.  People say they are not ready because they are not ready to give up sin today. They don't understand that it takes a strong relationship with God to even be able to be ready. I wish all fear would just go away for 5 or 10 minutes. All it takes is Yes to his will and faith in the blood.

Don't forget evil. The bible says your loving god created evil aswell.

You're welcome.

...and if god is so proud, what's with the first 4 commandments?

1. profile image0

Hey Jesus. You never cease to amaze me. You always step from left to deposit little kernels of despair just when things are lookn up. Why so glum? You don't have to say anything. Just listen, and for Pete's sake, don't go to thinkin!

Sorry but I like to think for myself. I am not of the disposition to let others do my thinking for me as I am pretty sure you would like.

Who said I was glum? You really do make a lot of assumptions don't you?

1. profile image0

Listen, I don't know if you know this or not, hut you are extremely sad. It's made you angry. At God? You want to know why he let "that" happen to you? He was there. Man has free will. He repays every wrong. Read the story of Job. God will not forsake you. He hurts with you.

3. getitrite profile image71

It seems that I'm not the immoral one here.  I have been completely honest in all my responses, and genaea has done nothing but evade every question that doesn't agree with her delusional beliefs.  Just what kind of morals does your bible teach you?

I don't recognize the concept of sin.  And before you were indoctrinated, you didn't either.  It was a concept that was invented by evil despots, to keep you in a state of low self-worth.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING!

Which God?

Of course!  One Christian makes false allegations against an innocent person, and another Christian condones and encourages this behavior.  Now can you finally see why your beliefs are IMMORAL?  No morals whatsoever!

2. profile image0

The type of comments you have made are no less shallow than your perception of the ones you speak against. You do not know what motivates another person. Simply because you may live in fear does not mean others do also.

Not everyone wants to live the life of a drone.

Emile, I'm not just speaking as a Christian. But I also know human behaviors. I have studied psychology as well. I am very good at personalities and read them well too. So, your comment has no substance. I may not know his motives precisely, but I do know human behavior, and he is hiding.
            Who says I live in fear??? Are you referring to biblical fear? You have a misguided idea of the meaning of fear if that's what your referring to.
            I do not live in fear at all.  I don't live like a drone either buddy, believe me. Not even close, LOL!!! You have no perception of Christianity at all then.
            That's hilarious!

1. profile image0

You are right on time Gina, thanks for bringing your sword.

I see you still have your dispicable "us and them, stand and fight" mentality.

1. profile image0

'Love your neighbor' evangelical style only works if the neighbor agrees with everything you say.

1. profile image0

The word of God is the greatest love I can give you. I have never understood your ravings either. Misery loves company? You won't find a pity party goer at this end of the keyboard. I have too much to be happy about. Please, if you're going to stay in bible study, please respect the participants. Your true colors are blinding. Just be nice. You guys are really making it hard for yourselves to get the lesson.

2. profile image0

Bring it on, Jesus! since you've read the bible, you know that we believe that there is a war going on! But, we wrestle not against flesh and blood. But against principalities; against the rulers of darkness, against SPIRITUAL wickedness in high places. You've been looking down on me this whole time. Now THAT'S funny. But hey the armor, though I'm sure you know this, consists of the sword of the Spirit (of God), the shield of faith, and feet prepared with the preparation of the gospel of peace. Are you taking this down? Now, chop my paragraph up and spit it back. Slick way to study scriptures smile

So the bible DOESN'T say "turn the other cheek"? Wow maybe I read the wrong book.

You think I'm looking down on you? So you made up ANOTHER LIE about me? Isn't it wrong to lie? I guess you have no pride but you are simply strengthening the case that you are delusional since you are constantly under the delusion that you know what I am thinking and feeling and even when corrected you make up ANOTHER lie.

I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt by giving you a chance to provide some evidence for the claims that you made. It is not my fault that you ASSUMED you were being attacked simply because I asked you questions.

You failed to provide me with anything and admitted you had nothing which was fair enough (although you could have been honest and done that in the first place) and now you come back with insults and act as if it is a fight with different sides.

I am glad that most of society in my country do not think like you. People with your mentality are the ones who divide communities and cause conflicts.

You can make up more thing about me if you want, but it will just prove my point that you are either lying or suffering from delusions.

2. profile image0

Judging from your response, I'd say my perception of Christianity (evangelical style) continues to be dead on.

You've judged and convicted getitrite simply because he doesn't appear to fit the mold of an evangelical drone.

And now you attempt to bully me because I've pointed out the obvious. You don't appear to know as much as you would like to think you do. smile

And you Emile appear the have some Superior complex.
                Judging, call it as you will. Is that all you got?It is what it is dude or dudette, not real sure.
                I have no time for bullying anyone, that's no fun anyway.
                Dude, I could care a less if you believe or not. I could care a less if getitrite believes in Casper the friendly ghost.
                I know what i know, genaea knows what they know, you know what you know (which doesn't amount to much).
                You and getitrite decided to invade this thread that you all were asked politely to not comment in by this thread owner, but you chose to do it anyway, so if you DO get Judged, whose fault is that?
                The Word of God tells us to be discerning.  That's what we do. Like it or not. You choose to believe in nothing, we believe in SOMETHING, too bad for you.
                I'm not here to change your mind or anyone else's because I could care a less.  I will still pray for your lost soul, but I won't lose sleep over it.
                In Revelations it says, if a filthy man is filthy, let him be filthy still, if a holy man is holy, let him be holy still. Another words, I can give it to you, what you do with it is your own affair. Its your soul, not mine, so I don't care tongue

Wow, you just punched her right in the kidney. Take that Emile, Gina is insulting your intelligence!!!

So it is OK to pass judgement when you feel like it? Where does it say that in the bible?

I don't recall a prerequisite of atheism being not believing in anything. But I see you are continuing with the christian insults by claiming Emiles non belief is a bad thing.

You really are on a high horse aren't you?

LOL, revelations says all kinds of crap. I like your typical christian insults though. very humorous.

So happy your being amused. I know I am.
                    Lets see:
                    Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2][3] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3][4][5] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[6][7] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.[7][8]

That last sentance made me chuckle. So ya all must believe in something I guess.. It says at lease ONE deity...hmmm what would that be?

I'm not on a high horse, I don't even have a horse, I live in the inner city, they don't allow them here. I'm just being me. I hope that doesn't bug you too much. If it does, oh well.

Yeah Revelations does say a lot of crap, but it's only for the eyes that are opened. It does one no good if he has his mind on lock down.

I'm not trying to insult anyone. I mean I could, but I'm really not trying to.

You don't think calling me a drone wasn't insulting? hmmm Well, for many it would have been. I know I'm not even close to a drone. I have fun.  Drones don't. Drones aren't fun to be around. I am. So, he truly failed at choosing a name for me. smile
                    BTW, I didn't have to insult his intelligence, he insulted his own.

2. profile image0

You're being somewhat impish. You're acting like a slithering parasite and I can almost see your face. The smirk is only skin deep. You are throwing around venom like one in pain. And you take your time to do it like you take pleasure in slithering around this thread. Why are you hurting?

2. profile image0

What are you? Twelve? Did you just graduate Pentacostal camp?

I tell you what. Grow up. Learn that everyone doesn't have to agree with you, develop some emotional maturity and then come on back to the table.

Trust me. Not buying into your childish take on religion doesn't make anyone filthy and believing such a shallow and egotistical brand of religion doesn't make you holy. Silly, maybe. Definitely not holy.

1. profile image0

I just do not understand why this thread of "fairies,ghosts,and goblins" is so dang interesting to you Emile. How old are you, 13? Talk about ego-MANIA. you just cannot stop coming back to disturb the word of God.  Are you missing something? I don't believe one could be so adamant about disproved materials. Can't you just go away?

2. GinaCPocan profile image60

Pentecostal Camp? really? that's good, and pretty funny actually.

Grow up? WOW. We didn't invade your thread with our Beliefs, you invade our thread. Well genaeas thread actually. It was asked politely NOT to be bringing all this rhetoric into it. But you did. how is THAT mature?
                    BTW,  " if a filthy man is filthy, let him be filthy still, if a holy man is holy, let him be holy still." was an attempt to make a point.  But somehow you didn't get it. But that's alright. People like you simply take out what you wish, and plant it anywhere you think it will fit, even if it makes no sense at all, just to make your points. How is THAT mature? Well...it could also be comprehension issues too. My bad.
                    You didn't get it so I'm not going to worry about it, oh well. Such is life.

3. getitrite profile image71

Only idiots would allow themselves to be psychotic enough to be afraid of a 2000 year old book, written by unknown, ignorant humans, foolishly claiming to be God.  Your perception is completely absurd.

This is totally untrue, and shows the absence of the cause-and-effect deficiency in indoctrinated, delusional believers.  Pure unsubstantiated rubbish.  This is absolute slander, as you know nothing of reality, because of your archaic worldview.

I am in no way, no how afraid of the bible. You so funny. I have nothing to be afraid of. What is there to fear? Hell? i'm not going there so why should I even fear that?

You are certain you are not going there? Because it looks to me like you have broken several commandments and are now breaking the word of god.

Odd that you did not reply to my questions earlier.

What commandment did I break, oh man of wisdom?? HAHA! You crack me up. Oh yes and breaking the Word of God? That's rich coming from someone who doesn't even know God. How are you going to tell me what I broke, when you don't even believe? How are you going to instruct me on how to behave?
                As far as your question? either I didn't see it, or it was too ludicrous to dignify it with an answer, but I'll scroll up and see.

Mark obviously there's a chuck there I missed, I do have a life, and sometimes I sleep. Hopefully you do also. I'm not going to get into that insanity.
                Islamics in particular treat women as property. there are Christian and Jewish Arabs that do not surpress their women.
                No the bible does not say women are a mans property. She is supposed to listen to him, yes. He is the head of his house. She is actually supposed to help him lead. She is his helper. When God made Eve, she was intended to be his HELPER.
                You are twisting Paul words, he never said women should be silent. he said women should be silent "IN THE CHURCH", because they were gossiping. Then went on to say, if they have any questions they are to ask their husbands. This meant after church was over, and if they didn't understand something, that was the time to ask.
                Oh yes, the teaching. Boy do you have that messed up.  Yes, according to my faith, woman are not supposed to PASTOR a church. Back then there was a different meaning to what a "Preacher" and a "Minsiter" was then we have today. I didn't change the meanings, language did.
                FYI, women can "TEACH", they can't "Pasture", but they can teach. I'm still unsettled on the "Preaching" deal. Phoebe in the New Testament took part in paving the way for Jesus to go door to door visiting people, and from what I read, he asked the ministers to run ahead of him, and prepare them for his visits. She was among them, but the excerpt was too short to determine. Also upon Christs rising from the dead, Mary and 2 other women seen Jesus and was told to spread the word.  Some say they were the first real preachers because they told the gospel to everyone. Others disagree. So, I am on the fence with it until I can conclude it.
                I don't know what bible your reading, but I read King James.
                There's an entire chapter in Psalms on the virtuous woman. 1st Corinthians has a chapter or 2 on love between a man and a woman. So, you really need to examine a little closer before you vomit out the insignificant uninformative information you try to pass off that you have.

3. GinaCPocan profile image60

I am certain I'm not going there because I was saved by the Blood of the Lamb.

Sorry I missed that comment.

You have just created a strawman fallacy.  I never said you were afraid of the bible.  I said only an idiot would be afraid of a 2000 year old book...

Why would you think that applied to you?  Please comprehend and follow, correctly.  Thank you.

And I never said you did.  But do keep arguing with the strawman, it shows the inherent deception of religious beliefs.

But why did you assert that I was afraid of the bible?  Just what makes you think you know my motivations?  For your information, you have made an egregious false allegation against me, with nothing to validate your claims, except a delusional, primitive, worn out myth of no value at all.

Bearing false witness is a sin.  It says so in your bible.  If I were a Christian, and slandering my neighbor, I would be in GREAT fear of going to hell.

"Only idiots would allow themselves to be psychotic enough to be afraid of a 2000 year old book, written by unknown, ignorant humans, foolishly claiming to be God.  Your perception is completely absurd."

Alright then I read it differently, please don't send me to the Gallo's.

ha ha I'm in no way deceived.

How did I assert that YOU were afraid of the bible? I spoke only of myself in that post.

"I am in no way, no how afraid of the bible. Your so funny. I have nothing to be afraid of. What is there to fear? Hell? i'm not going there so why should I even fear that?"

Apparently you have a problem remembering what you REALLY said.  I think that's called selective memory.  Believers are quite adept at it, as it is their MO to deceive.  Let me remind you:

GinaCPocan wrote:

He doesn't Hate the bible, he is afraid of it.

Slander gentitrite? really? You really have no idea what your even saying here because you obviously have no idea what that means. Too funny!

I'm sorry, the correct term is LIBEL.

li·bel
                 [lahy-buhl] noun
              1.Law a.  defamation by written or printed words, pictures, or in any form other than by spoken words or gestures.

Ok then who is being defamed?

Are you kidding?  You made an outright false statement about me,, based upon nothing but your delusional belief in a ridiculous fairytale.

To assert that I'm afraid of something, that I don't even believe in, is completely false.  In order to be afraid of something, it first has to exist.  That's like saying I'm afraid of the Seven Dwarfs!  Do you not understand?  Only psychotics are affected by entities that do not exist.

That is NOT defamation, haha now whose delusional. Sue me. Go ahead.

3. calynbana profile image78

Read into the historicity of the the Biblical documents and then make that statement.

My statement is still accurate no matter...whether before reading the historicity or after.  Wishful thinking does not make nonsensical, primitive fraud true.  Nice try.

I am not appealing to wishful thinking. I am appealing to history.

4. Chris Neal profile image77

Serious question. Which one of the "unkown, ignorant humans" who wrote the Bible claimed to be God?

I may have worded that incorrectly, by using the word "claiming"

Since there is no evidence for the existence of a REAL God, all of these ignorant liars, professing to be taking dictations from God are nothing but deceivers.  The stories that they concocted came straight from their own imaginations and egos...thereby making the ignorant humans the Gods that they are tricking you into believing. 

There is no evidence for the existence of a god, however a LIAR is born every time a woman gives birth.  Given those odds, which one do you think is more probable?  Seriously.

Seriously, you're asking the wrong person. Yes, a liar is born every time a woman gives birth, but I'm one of those people who claim to have experienced the presence of and heard from God. Before you jump to conclusions about me "hearing voices," I have not done that. I wrote a hub which you are welcome to check out (didn't we have this conversation already?)

In any case, my point is that there is a God.

Although you really believe that you are telling the truth, the fact is that you are grossly misguided.  You are not an outright liar, but the assertions you make are abject nonsense, therefore they are LIES.

I read your hub, and the same conclusion stands.  You are grossly misguided.  You don't need to "HEAR" the voices.  By just concluding that you have had contact with an invisible, imaginary entity indicates a mental unbalance...and a gross disconnect from reality.

Yet you couldn't produce your God if your life depended on it.  Does reality have any affect on you at all, or is it that your wishful thinking is profusely rigid.

I don't need to produce God.

If you want me to go through the arguments, the logic, the reasoning and the proof I will, but as I've already said, I don't like yelling matches. They demean both sides.

If you are satisfied in your mind then I wish you good day.

32. profile image0

Rev_22:11  He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

Nice, one of my favorites.

33. profile image0

Ok, I have an issue. What is the best interpretation of the "turn the other cheek" scripture? My take has always felt like it was a figurative admonishment to allow another hit. Not as in, just sit there and take it, but more like, well I guess I don't know. I asked this earlier, if it was answered, sorry I missed it. But I really would like to hear spiritual discernments on the matter.

1. profile image0

Judging from your  last comment to JWAH, you wouldn't understand. But, I think the passage couldn't be applied to the catfight this thread has been. And there are so many other biblical passages to use to admonish the displayed behavior patterns. 'Thou shalt not lie' being an appropriate starting point. (although refusal to abide by that one, on your side of the table, has contributed greatly to the problem)

Now I'm all embarrassed about my behaviour. Why do I always get drawn in to such petty exchanges?

1. profile image0

You are obviously a man chasing a dream. You can't help that you are so committed to your cause. smile

lol I think I need a girlfriend... smile

2. profile image0

You are some piece of work. Do you see how taunting your statement is? You like arguing? Do you have some wish to make me crazy with your sheer madness! Why don't you just shew with your garbage! You still have yet to prove your claims about me. You are becoming a real pest. You are TRYING to incense me again. You want your lies to carry some weight finally? I've slept, and I can handle this, you got a question about the topic?

1. profile image0

My post was on topic. I honestly didn't think the 'turn the other cheek' reference was an appropriate comment. What was being referenced when Christ made that statement had nothing to do with behavior patterns as displayed in this thread.

Did you not get that? Or are you incapable of discussing scriptural interpretation in a civil manner?

1. profile image0

Emile...are YOU trying to explain something to me about a book you don't fully believe nor have faith in? I see you.

A fresh perspective is always good right? smile

1. profile image0

Doesn't it depend on who the perspective belonged to?

Unless it is Satan then no not really. Haha, personally I think it is good to hear what people of different faiths think of the Bible. It is also good to share our own perspectives.

I just think we need to avoid the I am right, you are wrong mentality if at all possible. Just my opinion smile

1. profile image0

Just to be clear, I never meant to state or imply that I was anything. The word of God is right to me. The problems started when I was called delusional for believing, for having faith that the word of God is truth to the nth degree. It was stated that I should dabble into other works that disprove the foolishness of the bible, that I believe is the ULTIMATE truth. Now, I didn't mind at first, but they would not stop. Many made it a point to stomp my faith in God, Jesus, the bible. Why? Didn't we address "your view" already? But then, once I affirmed my faith is SURE, the argument turned into a fight about Genaea? Why? This is supposed to be bible study right?  I became determined through my spirit, to continue with the word, because that's what I came here for, soon, all the bibles were gone. I fought for the word, alone. I got a little swayed by the other spirits to "match wit" but all that got on my nerves. Now, I'm rested and ready for battle, or bible study.

I agree with your opinion 100%.

2. profile image0

I appreciate what you are trying to do, however it's wasted effort. Those who think they speak for God will never understand it is simply their own ego.

I have a great deal of respect for Christians who are humble enough to know the difference between their own arrogance (we all possess it) and what they feel as the holy spirit.  The others, the ones who think Satan sends people to disagree with them and test their ego, are beyond help. Imo.

2. profile image0

There are different ways to have faith and different beliefs. You have consistently belittled everyone that doesn't agree with you. I know the book. I think there are valuable lessons to be learned from it.

However, those who chose not to learn; but use the words from the pages as a club for their ego to wield against others in the  manner.you have displayed degrade the value of the words.

1. profile image0

You make silly accusations. And I'm sure, at this point, you have confused me and someone else.

1. profile image0

No. No confusion. I know exactly who I am speaking to and meant what I said.

34. profile image0

Mat 22:42  What think ye of Christ?

35. profile image0

Isa_54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

36. profile image0

...rite, here, we live in a place where good food may be found in garbage cans; good running water may be found in toilets, and even beggars on the street make a decent living. Here, life's neccessities are abundant. If there are no rich, what is poor? No bad, what is good? God looks at the entire scheme of things. Man has free will. We are all responsible for our own responses. But, since only God can determine the truth of the individual, we are not to judge.

1. profile image0

Genaea, just a thought. I don't think food from the garbage can and water from the toilet are an acceptable means by which to live. That isn't access to abundance. That is living off of scraps and other people's waste.

And beggars on the street do not all make a decent living. Go out on the street and speak to the homeless. They aren't homeless because they miserly horde their wealth. They can't afford to put a roof over their heads.

1. profile image0

I guess it just depends on who you're talking to. Here in Chicago, there are plenty of beggars that  use the money to pay for cars, not food. Thats only one example. My point is, I have seen peopleglad to"find" real food in the garbage. We live in a country where "neccessity" is abundant. But it depends on who you're talking to. Also, here, a great percentage of our homeless are that way because of mental illness. Here, they closed a very large mental institution and then did what with the mentally ill? Probably given "referrals." But, yes there is desolation. But, "good living" goes according to who youre talking to. people who live in other countries would love tosee our burgers in the garbage. Depends on who youre talking to.who y

1. profile image0

I wouldn't argue that even our homeless are better off than some in third world countries. But, impoverished in America is still no way to live.

I simply worry at statements which imply everyone should be thankful, no matter their circumstances. Too often they are used as a reason for those who are more affluent to turn a blind eye to those in need. A professional beggar is still a beggar.  And you never know. When someone asks for help, I think we are duty bound to extend a hand. Not think in the back of our mind that there is food in the garbage or water in the toilet free for the taking.

But I don't live in a major metropolis. I'm sure the number of people in need can seem overwhelming.

John Stossel, the libertarian news commentator who frequently did pieces on 20/20, did a show on ABC a while back about American Exceptionalism and in it he pointed out how the poor in America are considered rich by the standards of most of the rest of the world. Many have regular food, computers and cable tv.

That's not to say there isn't hunger in America. You're right about the "living off of scraps and other people's waste." The fact is that we could feed people much more efficiently, there are programs that are set up to feed the poor that accept the "old" but still highly edible leftovers of restaurants, fast-food joints and even convenience stores. It seems that it shouldn't be as hard as it is to get people fed.

And it's not as if there's not poverty in America. Stories of welfare queens and panhandlers with houses and cars are not unkown but aren't as many as a lot of  people think. But they still exist. I once heard an advocate for the homeless say that the people who stand on the street corners are not homeless. And in Indianapolis there are a lot of those people.

On top of that, the increasingly miserly treatment of the mentally ill has a direct effect on the homeless population.

37. Druid Dude profile image59

Homeless sucks...but some, at least here in the U.S., choose to be where they are, or it is a consequence of choices they have made. Sometimes, it can be a means to an end. It isn't how many times you get knocked down...it's how many times you get back up.

1. Jerami profile image57
      Jeramiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure there are many homeless people who are homeless through no fault of their own. And there are some who are homeless because of poor judgment.

I know one lady who complains how hard it is for her to pay her rent of $100.oo per week. Which brings to mind that whatever it is that is highest on our priority list is the easiest for us to pay.
        It is that which is least on our priority list that we find most difficult to pay. I can see where her priority list is out of balance.

I know another who stops at three or four bars each day after work, looking to meet a lady, He buys at "least" one beer ($3.oo ea plus tip) at each bar every day.
        Every few months his electric service is turned off for non payment.
        His property taxes are 3 years delinquent.
        If either of these people become homeless I will be sympathetic ... but?.

As my Grandfather once told me, ..  Even a rich man can go broke trying to keep a drunk out of jail.

Sometimes when we help someone we are only enabling them to continue their poor judgment/behavior.

But as I said in the first paragraph,  Many people are homeless due to no fault of their own.
         And we should never stop helping those that can we can help, even if "sometimes" our efforts seem to be wasted.                                 

A charitable heart is a treasure for those that have one.                   We should not lose it or spent it wastefully.

Well said!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)