Life on Earth: How ridiculous is it?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (111 posts)
  1. lizzieBoo profile image59
    lizzieBooposted 11 years ago

Life on Earth; what a letdown! We don't ask to be born but here we are anyway, pushed into a world where you get bossed around for approximately 80 years before crumpling up and dying. It doesn't seem fair. Then, to add insult to injury,  people keep on trying to find a point in this lousy existence; writing books, composing music, praying all the live-long day for reasons to be glad about it all. When are we all going to be allowed to face the facts of reality. Nothing is more than it seems. Pain is pain. Pleasure is pleasure and then we die.
    Am I right or am I right?
    (Any disagreement with this contravenes my human rights as outlined by the Geneva Convention  and UN resolution and may result in a lengthy prison term or indeed sentenced to being stuck in a lift with Richard Dawkins)

1. kess profile image61
      kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good thing is that you do have the power to make it into that which you like.

lizzieBooposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really?

1. kess profile image61
          kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep , a person's reality is created by their attitude towards what they percieve outwardly.

If they are negative in minding the outward, by doing so they create more negative both within and without.
          Thus their reality is consistently negative.

But if they are positive in minding the outwardly, then they create positivity within themselves and in turn affect the outwardly positively (their reality).

Thus this one is positive both in and out.

1. profile image58
            klasziqposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Kess,
            A person, as an individual human being, embodies two minds, the spiritual mind and the physical mind. One makes decision which supersedes the action of the other mind. In direct relation, the spiritual mind controls how the physical mind react and act to outward interaction. In essence, when we behave, we are doing so in accordance to what what our inner or spiritual mind is thinking, or picking up as a reaction to what is physically going on around us. In being positive or negative, the physical mind might be positive and upbeat in responding to activities around it, but if the spiritual mind perceives those activities as something disliking and develops lack-of-interest towards the activities, this message will be, unconsciously, be send to the physical mind, and the physical mind will, unknowingly, becomes negative to the activities. The question here is to understand how we, as human beings and individuals with capability to responding positively or negatively to stimulus, inside or outside, can be able to control our minds, so as to react rationally and appropriately to things happening around us.

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It would be a sad thing if you think this way.
      This statement seems a bit naive.
      Life isn't fair or unfair. Life is life.
      Lousy existence? Hmmm...your life must be pretty bad to have such a perception.
      There are too many people who don't understand reality to begin with.
      What's your point?
      Are you right? In one perspective you could be right however, living life with the perspective you're presently using is enough to make one end one's own life.
      lol

This thread is a reaction to the lack of empathy I often see displayed by people on this forum regarding a belief in God. I am trying to be satirical about the point of view which intellectually looks down on people who have a religion.
        My point is that I think life IS pretty bad for some people. They have no let up. It is suffering upon suffering. They cannot make statements like "life if what you make of it" or "you can do whatever you want to do" like we do in the comfortable west. Their need for meaning is so much clearer than ours because without a point to their lives, they would reasonably give up. That is why it is so criminal of us in the West to accuse religious people of stupidity, because in the impoverished world, belief in greater good is what keeps them alive.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Belief in the greater good is not the same as a belief in a G/god.

1. profile image0
            Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe not, but she is right. The poor have such a deep faith. It lifts your heart when you are around people who have absolutely nothing by our standards, but they are 'rich in the spirit'.

It reminds me of something I read that the Dalai Lama said. 'Smart people make bad buddhists.' Or something to that effect. And I think that sentiment applies to any religion. I guess he meant that people who spend too much time thinking have a difficult time quieting their mind enough to embrace the simplicity of spirituality.

Actually, she's not.
              This isn't true. It's rare, but not unknown. And, as for the "standards"? Oh please.
              Of course smart people make bad buddhists, that's because their smart enough to try, but not stupid enough to believe.
              That may be your perception.
              Trying to quite the mind is a foolish task to begin with. Any idiot knows you can't clear your mind completely. And, anyone who makes the claim is a bold face liar.

1. profile image0

I say she is right.

I assume when you say it is rare, but not unkown; you are talking about my comment of the poor having a deep faith. It has been my observation that it is not rare. And, I assume you live in the west. If you do, you are better off than 90 percent of the rest of the world. Your 'oh please' lacks a touch of compassion.

No sh*t Sherlock. I wasn't attempting to post your perception. Come on. Why did you bother to comment?

It could also be argued that anyone who attempts to speak for what goes on in the mind of another is either a bald faced liar, delusional; or too egotistical to understand the difference.

Yeah, I got that. So, I guess you're both wrong then. Good to know.
                  It wasn't your comment. It was the comment in which you agreed with. But, in the end, yes.
                  Then, I would say you need new people to hang around. lol
                  Lack of compassion? Is that what you are perceiving from my post? I certainly hope not. Yes, I live in America, so what. I cannot help where I was born. And, if you think I don't have any clue about the rest of the world, then you've grossly mistaken in that line of thought.

To show others your irrationality. Why else?
                  You could argue it, but then again you would only make a fool out of yourself, if the person isn't any of those. Which is more possible, than you being right.

1. profile image0

So, you are too egotistical to understand the difference. Got it. smile

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
                    Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cags are you one of the 95% of Americans who have never left America? Have you ever met or known anyone from a non-American culture or religion? No I don't mean all those people who live in your country who tack the word "-American" onto the nationality of their great great grandad.

Izzyboo is bang on in her assertion that the world is full of I impoverished people who's faith in their God is what gives them hope and a reason to keep going. Yet you in your wealth of cable TV, pickup truck, and pizza delivery culture, would seek to elevate yourself to a position of superiority and take away that which some people need to keep going?

2. Disappearinghead profile image60
              Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on this Emile.

3. lizzieBoo profile image59

I like this idea. My father always said to never trust an intellectual. They're the most immoral apparently.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There you go. That is what you really wanted to say. Guess your father didn't get to go to school either huh? Intellectuals are immoral? lol

No wonder your deep spiritual understanding and peace causes so many fights huh? wink

When you say school, do you mean university? My father didn't go to university no. Should he feel bad about that?
                  I hadn't noticed anyone with a deep spiritual understanding getting into fights...no.

He apparently does feel bad about it if he taught you that intellectuals are not to be trusted and immoral. Was he very religious?

2. Castlepaloma profile image76
                    Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lizzieBoo

If a christian thinks or believes the bible is the only source of all spiritual being and things, then there is your source of your Problem

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
          Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A greater good does not have to be supernatural. It can be a greater good on this earth on our life.

What makes you think that the ONLY thing that can give people hope is religion?

It's easy for us to talk about looking around ourselves to find the greater good here on earth. Try telling that to a woman married into the Taliban, surrounded by relentless desertland in the heart of Afghanistan. Such choices are a privilaged  commodity of the West.
            What makes a persons life beautiful is the ability to transcend the physical, whatever their lives may be like: spiritual self-sufficiency is the only real freedom anyone can hope for.

And how does mocking your irrational, self righteousness affect this person?

Surely understanding that there is no majikal afterlife and changing her situation would be a better option?

There you see, you're suggesting that it's stupidity which oppresses her.
                Religion is only a small part of Afghan culture. Being veiled from head to foot is cultural. Multiple wives is cultural as is the food they eat. It comes from an oppressive yet desolate geographical location and climate, and a legacy of being at war for hundreds of years.
                I'm saying that the resource to allow a part of yourself to be free from all that is strength not a weakness.

No. It is a weakness that prevents you from doing something about it.

Not sure what that has to do with your irrational beliefs though. Care to explain?

Because I can cut myself off from pain and suffering as well as the next person and I don't need to believe in majik to do it.

Is there a reason why you're not spelling magic properly?

3. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My new, favorite OP!!! big_smile

I have said it before, my fellow lab rats! We must unite!

Lab rats? roll

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's the only theory that makes sense.

Logic says we are not the highest power in the universe, therefore there is a higher power than us.

Therefore there is a higher power. And he treats us like crap. Therefore we must be lab rats in a science experiment.

We need to unite and find a way out.

Yes we do. big_smile

4. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.  Does life have a purpose outside of what humans make it?  I'm dubious.

If you read the bible or the koran, then you would learn that G/god gives people purpose.

I find it ironic that those who think that a purpose is something to be granted or given away? And, not created by the individual.

1. profile image58

@ Cagsil,

You are right. Purpose is something we, as individuals, have to create for ourselves. Just like success, you or I cannot achieve success if we did not work toward that accomplishment. God intercedes to create a smooth path to achieving success, if He sees that we have the interest to becoming successful in life. Just an employment, you cannot get that dream job if you did not go out there and struggle to get it, praying and believing in God help to see that you are successful in securing the job of your dream.

Okay, you had me up to this point.
            To think that any G/god of any kind would intercede into the path of any single individual, at any given time is absurd beyond all comprehension.
            See above statement.

2. profile image58

@ Sooner28,
        The Purpose of Life is for you and I to live and go through a form of metaphorical growth. You were born, you grew up, passing through all those stages in human lives, and then reach 60 years old or 90 years old, and then you look forward to dying. All these are metamorphosis in life. Purpose and Life goes pari pasu, meaning that, life and purpose goes side-by-side. You cannot wake up in the morning and go outside to the street without having a purpose of doing so. You are living today, and you are posting on this hub thread today because you have a purpose for doing that. In essence, we, as human beings, create purpose that help us to have a define life.

5. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

first off, life is pretty damn awesome but you can always kill yourself and no one can stop you so we do have that choice. secondly, what you do with your life is what makes it worth living. praying to some god to guide you is kind of absurd but using your own ideas can make life incredible.we don't have a purpose and if people would stop believing that, they would make their own reasons for living and strive to make it better but instead many wait for their god to "show" them and it's silly and baseless.

6. jacharless profile image75
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol lol Contravenes...Brilliant!

7. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ecclesiastes. (What did I win?)

Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Now, this is one ridiculous thread.

You don't mean that

Are you telling me you know what I'm thinking and what I truly mean, even if I don't say so? roll

Ah, I was using a manner of speech. I should have put a question mark after it: You don't mean that?

Oh okay. hmm

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 11 years ago

I thought life was wonderful when the air was filled with testosterone, estrogen, pheromones etc and our imagination was unrestrained.

And then One day I looked around discovered I had gotten old.

Harsh.

2. profile image58

@ Jerami,
      Life is and has been wonderful- that is why you have lived so far to become old. Testosterone, estrogen, et cetera, that you mentioned are just add-on that we use to live life. The air is always fill with freshness except you find yourself living within area where the air is impure. Imagination is abstract, which is something we live life with. Imagination is restrained if you have issues and things that worry your peace. Your imagination only wanders when there are things that disrupt you mind and your ability to enjoy life of peace and tranquility.

4. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

Nothing like a positive attitude lol

Mustn't grumble.

5. apartmentsra profile image57
    apartmentsraposted 11 years ago

The life of human is fully of struggle, stress and busy. One of the major reason is money. Everyone is busy to find all the luxury things in his/her life and this is only the cause of all these three things. Also the invention could be the second reason. In the past, people relaxed, the went to forest and collect foods and made the shelter with wood and only think about the three times food. Now our thinking is broad, we want multiple things at one time.

1. profile image58

@ apartmentra,

What you mentioned are one side of life. Life is much larger than that. There are people who right now constantly go through struggle, stress and busy in life; at the same time, there are people who barely experiencing these circumstances. As for money, it is a supporting pillar, I would say, for living. Without money, noone will have a life. Without money, it will not be possible for you or anyone else to feed, cloth and shelter themselves. I think that invention and technological advancement make life a little bit easier for everyone; though, it has its disadvantages. I would not be sharing opinion on this thread with you if not for invention- of the internet, www.

6. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 11 years ago

If you sincerely believe that you'll go to heaven or be reincarnated into a better life, you're much less likely to try to do anything to improve your current life. If you believe that you must fight those infidels from that other religion, you're much less likely to notice that you have more in common with the infidels than with the kings, dictators, or plutocrats who run your respective countries.

There's a reason that most of the most brutal and oppressive regimes the world has ever seen have had a deeply religious populace. It's not because the people are "rich in spirit" or need some kind of hope to keep going in times of unimaginable hardship, it's because religion is one of the most effective forms of mind control ever devised. Why do you think the Saudi regime pours so much money into spreading the most extreme fundamentalist branch of Islam, or the culture wars pick up steam in the US every election season?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

agree

7. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

lizzieBoo, do I detect humour here in your Thread?  Hope so.  Life is to rich and wide ranging to hang in on depression and gut-seriousness. 

Laugh and cry 'til it aches, Love.  You'll get there in one piece!

jonny, you spotted the humour! I thought I was being funny. You're the first to get that. or maybe I'm just not that funny.

8. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Interesting enough, LizzieBoo,
    I read through the dialogue between you and Mr Knowles, and have come to the same determination: The traversed intellect can only scorn what they once loved -and by loved AM suggesting a thorough consummation, be it by doctrine, by in~doctrine, logic or an attempt at logic.

To have quested here and there, only to return to the same place, after so much time, can only leave one in dire straits. The only logical solution is abandonment and stagnation -and by stagnation AM suggesting a continuous 'loop' of memories of those travels. After the primary images fade, what remains below the surface are sedimentary sentiments (forgive the s'es). Scorching sun, howling wind, torrential rains (all metaphoric) drain the very Life from the traveler.

And having lost their 'luggage', makes matters even worse. Now they have nothing to wear and become reluctant naturists. Acceptance of the status quo (the "it is what it is" concept) turns to bitterness -more importantly guilt- for having gotten stuck in the airport to begin with; to having traveled these avenues.

The only second logical thing to do is 'try to save the others' who have or might also get stuck. Helplessness is worse than death.

And everyone knows a naked, exhausted, weathered and traveled post-evangelist is even worse than being helpless.

James.

James, I completely agree.
      How nice to hear from you! I hope you're well.
      See I've never conversed with this guy before and yet the stuff he's coming out with is seriously jaded. He's not listening at all is he. He was straight in with the insults.

How soon they forget. sad

2. jacharless profile image75

Liz,
        That is just his way of explaining the airport experience.
        After nearly 3 years and some very good and very bad conversations, I have concluded he is more of an evangelist than Rod Parsley -less the profuse sweat of course. lol.

James

PS, Yes, all is well! Been busy with web work and life-coaching workshops.
        How are things `cross the pond?

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Still - the scorned/misunderstood/desperate for attention/taste/dimension/experience/needtobe/neverwillbe/havetoexperiencethepower/EGO

Huh James?

What a shame. I can show you in 11 days, not 21.

Pity you come across as so sad you need to support Lizzieboo's god innit. Oh well - at least you dun expressed your theism again.

This is why your religion causes so much ill will. Ernest agrees.

1. jacharless profile image75

So now you finally admit it, you still believe in life-after and now it seems you can confirm communication with the aft-world?! hehe.

PS, how are things big Guy? Miss Me?

smile

Earnest agreed with everything with which Mark was saying. The fact that you turn "agrees" as an insinuation of the "afterlife" or "life after", is just ridiculous.

No -no, Ray. Ridiculous is you crashing a tea party you weren't invited to. Tsk, tsk.

My invitation is automatic with membership with regards to the forums. So, tsk-tsk you not knowing any better. wink

1. profile image58

@ cagsil,

I like that response of,...automatic with membership..., it is funny! What a nice way to put humor in threading post! [big_smile]

9. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 11 years ago

Oh James!  if I should come across such "a naked, exhausted, weathered and traveled post-evangelist," I would not worry that he was "helpless."  At least he could be manipulated!

LMAO ! Brilliant Jonny.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)