DMCA charges now?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 11 years ago

I was going to report a website that has copied 3 of my articles to DMCA and as  I finish filling up the form it says I need to pay? WHHATTTT! Not only people steal my content and I have to pay too? Is there something wrong with this picture? I mean, these people should be paying me back every cent they have earned with the Google ads displayed featuring my content and my pictures! Is this something new? this is the website I am using:
    http://www.dmca.com/Takedowns.aspx

I used to fill out a form before and it was free. Does somebody have the link to the free service if it still exists?

On a good note, I noticed DMCA offers free badges to help protect content, I wonder if we can display them on our content here? that would be so awesome!

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't use that paid service. It's unnecessary.

DMCA complaints should be emailed directly to the site that's posted your content without your permission. Instructions are here:
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint

Badges, unfortunately, will do nothing to protect unscrupulous people from copying your content.

alexadryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! that is the link I was looking for, only thing I noticed the website in question is not displaying Google ads but has Amazon capsules. The Google DMCA report asks to report content that displays Google ads. Who to report to if there are no Google ads?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're right, there's no point reporting to Google Adsense if there are no Adsense ads showing.  And you're wasting your time reporting to Amazon, they never do anything.

If it's an article directory or other site that invites contributions from multiple authors (like GoArticles), then file the DMCA with the site.  The good ones will have some kind of contact form - just paste the DMCA wording into that.  Some of them are surprisingly responsive.

If it's a site authored by just one person, use your judgment.  I have a Hub about hair that gets reproduced regularly on hairdressers' sites. I write to them explaining I'm a professional writer, the article is copyright so they shouldn't be using it - but if they want to keep it, I'll be happy to invoice them the $100 re-use fee.  So far they've all taken it down without a murmur.

However, if I see a site which is full of articles, then it's likely the person is thieving from all over the place and won't respond to a DMCA - then you need to research who the host is, so you can complain to them.

The company did not delete the rest of the articles, it is now claiming "This will be my last comment regarding this issue. If you have so much time to send so many comments perhaps you have enough time to go after the companies that we get our feeds from. We get our feeds to post in our website strictly from yahoo, bing, and google. Perhaps you can go after them for "stealing your content" as you put it and sending it to thousands of websites such as ours. You are going after the little guy (us) because perhaps you feel bigger by doing that. We are not at fault here. We publish content only provided by the "Big 3".
            Is there any truth to this?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Clearly, they don't know what the rules are.  What is the name of the site?  (tip:  don't post the full hyperlink, put spaces in it so it doesn't turn into a hyperlink).

2. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 11 years ago

You can do a whois search for the domain name and contact the actual service provider directly....in some cases the sites think they are untouchable by hiding through proxy servers and private registrations, but if a website exists it has to have an originating source to contact by law.....Chinese sites are a good example of another frustration for the webmaster.....If in doubt view source on the website and gather as much info as you can from the code,

thank you, I posted on the website's Facebook page. It was very ethical and nice of them to claim " I have removed post. It is a common practice to use articles which are not protected and it is supposed to be a plus for the original publisher as long as you give them a link to the original site (which we do). The author should be happy that we are helping their site become an Authority Site by providing some of their content with a link to the full article. Totally out of line of them to publish this on Facebook."

Nice way to flip the pancake! First of all, yes they provided a link to my article but it was at the end of the 500 word copied article which is useless. Who would click on the link after they have received all the info needed? Second I contacted them on FB after days of pestering them to take the content down. I would not have resorted to such measure if they were ethical enough to respond at least to one of the 5 comments I have posted asking nicely to remove it in the past week....

I waste so much time reporting these people which I should invest on writing, argghhh..

1. waynet profile image68
        waynetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If they don't respond it's your right to go one further and contact their web service provider and tell them all about your copyright issue....it is time consuming, just think of all the other people who are just oblivious to these content thieves and just let it slide....some time in the future I can see things getting better for us decent content writers....until then it's just a plod along situation....most DMCA's are straight forward however.

Thank you I will take it further if necessary. So far they have removed 3/5, looks like it is a work in progress. Wouldn't it be great if Google would invest time on shutting down all these copycat websites instead of wasting time on Pandas, Penguins and Chicken and opening a Google zoo?

3. tamron profile image66
    tamronposted 11 years ago

I suggest you sign up for Google alert.  You will be alerted by email any time someone copies your whole article or if they copy any part you have on alert.  All you need to do is copy and paste a few lines in your articles and wamo you got them.

What I do is pick out some facts or think what parts of this article would I copy and add it to Google alerts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)