Anyone else get an e-mail like this?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Anti-Valentine profile image75
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

I checked my e-mail today, and saw an one that had this heading: Get More Traffic with ZAR1000 FREE Advertising on Google.

I was suspicious, and thought I would post it here.

"Get more traffic to your website

Dear Google Analytics User,

As a Google Analytics customer, we know that you care about the quality of traffic coming to your website, so we wanted to introduce you to Google AdWords. AdWords works by placing targeted advertising alongside Google's search results.

To help you get started with AdWords we've sent you a voucher for ZAR1000 of Google AdWords advertising. The voucher is risk and commitment free, so start advertising today and drive more traffic to your website.
    Grow your business with Google Analytics & AdWords:

* Easy to use Start advertising in minutes with our easy to use online tools.
        * Targeted traffic Your ads appear next to relevant search results and on websites in the Google Ad network, meaning people searching for products relating to your business will see your ad.
        * Pay only for results With AdWords, you're only charged when a user clicks on your ad. So if your ad is displayed but isn't clicked on, you'll pay nothing.
        * Powerful reporting Analytics is fully integrated with AdWords, so you'll have complete transparency into the performance of your campaigns and can track your return-on-investment down to individual keywords.

How to claim your ZAR1000 of free advertising on Google

1. Visit http://adwords.google.co.za
       2. Complete the sign-up process
       3. Once you've completed the sign-up process, you'll receive a confirmation email. Follow the instructions in the email, and when prompted, enter the voucher code below into the 'Billing Preferences' section of your AdWords account. Your ads will be live almost instantly.

Welcome to Google AdWords!

Google Analytics Team"

the e-mail address that came with it was: analytics-noreply@google.com

I've gotten one from google before, which was: "Google AdSense"

I mean, free advertising with AdWords? Come on. There's numerous scams going around lately, and I'm highly skeptical.

Sorry for links, you can do what you want with them.

1. Shadows and light profile image59
      Shadows and lightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The google email address does kind of sound real, but the rest I don't know about. Google doesn't give shit away for free. Hell, they hardly pay us.

2. dipless profile image70
    diplessposted 14 years ago

could be a phishing scam be careful!

3. Anti-Valentine profile image75

I'm thinking exactly the same thing, and I haven't done anything. I've copied the e-mail contents and left it alone.

If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

4. Mrvoodoo profile image57
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Google do genuinely offer free credit every now and then to new users, I've had free ad credit from Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Facebook, Bidvertiser, etc.  Have tried them all.

But as Dipless said, go careful, check for proper URL's etc. before signing up or giving out any info.

5. dipless profile image70

I'm so glad someone else thinks like that I have just posted exactly the same thing on another thread about working from home.. I have to deal with these kind of e-mails everyday in my IT job easiest way is to check the link of the hyperlinks if they don't go to google adwords official site then don't use it.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, always be careful.

There was one over on the eBay partner network forums that took loads of peoples details a few months back, I can't remember the name of the exact URL used but the phisher had registered a domain that used something like 'r n' instead of an 'm' in the middle of the URL to make it look like the genuine site. (rn look just like an m close together in a URL, or close enough anyway) and the site itself was pretty much an exact copy of the real site.

6. Anti-Valentine profile image75

Well this one reads "http://adwords.google.co.za." Last time I checked it was .com.

7. Candie V profile image63
    Candie Vposted 14 years ago

I got one too, but haven't looked to much at it.. I have a mountain of hubs to read! 

You be the guinnie piggie and tell us what you discover!

Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hell no! This little piggie ain't gonna fall for no traps by the big bad wolf! wink

1. Candie V profile image63
        Candie Vposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But he's a very friendly wolf!! He took good care of my gramma, I think he even took her on a vacation.. or so his note said, they've been gone for a couple of weeks now.  I expect she'll send me a post card soon.  She didn't think I should open and follow thru with that email either.

8. dipless profile image70

it is so i would sugest avoiding or log into the legitimate account through your normal route and see if there are any offers in there.

9. dipless profile image70

Social Engineering is probably now the biggest security concern on networks..including the internet, just because it is hard to protect against!

This is a little off topic but still along same lines

At work a very senior employee at work got a call from what he thought was out IT department and that they required his Username and password to reset his account, he gave it over even though he knew better. This password was then used to enter our Network and comprimise data and destroy documents.

10. BristolBoy profile image63
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

I recieved a similar email from what I believe to be Adwords, however I didn't take it up.  I believe Google do do such genuine offers, to try and get people to sign up and then get hooked.  They probably hope that you either continue with the system after being so impressed or forget to cancel your account after the freebie period is up and end up paying.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, as with all offers, it's not out of kindness they give you free money, they expect to make more from you in the long run.

Google tend to offer new users about £40 UK, but look around and you can find codes and offers for all of them, I got over £300 worth of free ads on Facebook when they first started running ads.

I use the free ads and move on, have never made a huge amount of money from them, so wouldn't pay for it, free traffic is the way to go unless you really know what you're doing with converting paid traffic, and I don't, lol.

1. Shadows and light profile image59
        Shadows and lightposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. Anti-Valentine profile image75

Yeah, thought so too. Anyway, I haven't got a problem with traffic like the e-mail says, so I don't need it. I'm happy...sort of.

I don't want to have yet another account to manage anyway.

11. Mrvoodoo profile image57

Yep, I know at least two people who got caught out by the whole 'I'm from your bank, just phoning to check your details' scam. 

Both for all means and purposes otherwise intelligent people who shouldn't have fallen for it, but caught off guard and in a rush they didn't think.

12. dipless profile image70

lol wink Glad to hear it big_smile

13. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Im lazy , I only open mail from family or sites I know ,like really .
    If it was Goggle I think they would send any message via your goggle account , just my opinion. smile

"Goggle"?

Yeah, what you say makes sense- like those optimization messages...

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep those messages , also fire them off a email if ya concerned , good luck smile

14. Mrvoodoo profile image57

I got $100,000.00 worth of free credit at Hophunt.com, only $99,999 left to go, the search engine gets very little traffic.  But should it ever take over Google, I'm sorted. smile

15. dipless profile image70

LOL How nice wink Who knows what the future holds humans are fickle characters maybe you should start a revolution against Google towards the Hophunt clan so you can claim your prize wink

16. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I would be careful-- but then I am so Dang careful that I blew up my first payout credit from Amazon of about $15, because I thought it was a scam.

17. HeXiS profile image59
    HeXiSposted 14 years ago

ok this is how you handel "ANY" email from a site you THINK you know..  you open your browser and you type login to your account as usual "never click links in emails!" unless you just signed up with an account and it's your account activation email.

if there is no notification in your account on the site you KNOW is right then ignore it.

if you'r not cmfortable with this type in your site url manualy from memory not whats written in the email. and check their "how to avoid scams" page almost every site has one.. look for the official https://google.com   or w/e site it is.. but uausualy i dot the first thing.. i go where i know im going by doing things manualy and checking my account.. asl usualy it wont say " "account holder"
    it will youre user name or your name

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)