What is the stupidest thing you ever did for love or infatuation?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Guardian1 profile image64
    Guardian1posted 14 years ago

I helped a loser out with money. I got this mothering complex. Compulsive need to take in strays, including the human variety.

1. moposan profile image58
      moposanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds like loser might have dumped u

Guardian1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope, I dumped him. I like to help people, but after a while if they prove to be nothing more than a continuous leech, you have to just cut them loose and make them learn to fend for themself. He was always sulking and stuff, not really stepping up, you know? He was always looking to blame others for his shortcummings. You know, the man is out-to-get-me kind of mentality.

2. TrinaLynne profile image69
      TrinaLynneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love to be a wife and thats my downfall. I stayed in my marraige for 3 years longer than I should have. I loved him but it was the stupidest thing.

3. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I got married -- after knowing him for only one month!

2. wychic profile image84
    wychicposted 14 years ago

Does getting married count?

Other than that, I'd have to say it was a money issue too...he was four months behind on bills and had several collections notices and I paid them all.

Well, if you're still with him and he's since amended his way, then that wasn't stupid. You were compassionate.

1. wychic profile image84
        wychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He never amended his ways, and I'm in the middle of the divorce big_smile. However, I must say it was a very good learning experience, and taught me to truly appreciate the man I am with now.

I'm sorry you had to go through pain and dissapointment to get to this point in your life. I'm glad that you are now in a positive, fulfilling relationship. Good for you.

3. Guardian1 profile image64
    Guardian1posted 14 years ago

Well, this isn't exactly stupid, but it was done out of love. My child (6 years) wanted to play outside. I insisted she put on bug spray because I had just seen a tick. I got bug spray in my mouth from a back draft and immedately started to cough/threw up. I went inside to rinse out my mouth and continued to cough. In the end, I threw up repeatedly (about 8 times) so violently that my throat started to bleed. Hows that for suffering for love?

I hope the father of your child wasnt that loser?

Oh. not at all. I love, respect and am respected by the father of my children. He's the most patient and non-judgemental person I have ever encountered.

The bug spray thing happened shortly before I made the post; that's why I mentioned it. It so happens that my partner and the youngest child is away until tomorrow, but my baby was very attentive to me. She insisted that I take some honey and lemon for my throat. She even put it in a spoon while I was rinsing my face off with cold water to alleviate the nausea. Children can be so very kind hearted and helpful.

Then, my congratulations-you are happy person,wish no suffering in your life.

Thanks, but that's the thing about kids; You'd glady suffer for them. It scares me a little, how much I love them, because I am a law abiding, god fearing woman, but if someone hurts my kids, I may well end up doing something that will land me in jail. When you watch them grow up, it's a very hard thing to see their innocense taken from them. That's not something I would turn the other cheek over.

4. livewithrichard profile image70
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

The stupidest thing I ever did for love was walk away when my then fiance told me she wasn't ready for marriage. She was 18 and me 20 and in the Army. I did more than just walk away, I tried to erase her from my memory.  I tried everything, alcohol, drugs, fighting, none of that worked.  So I traveled.  I got as far away from her as I possibly could.  Every subsequent relationship was haunted and doomed from the start. Years had passed and news of her getting married then having children would feel like a punch in the gut but then later I'd get a small sense of joy knowing she must be happy.

This story has a happy ending.  20 years had passed and not one went by where I didn't think about her.  Her 20th highschool reunion was coming and since we both went to the same school I would often check to see if she was listed on classmates.com or classreport.com.  A few weeks before her reunion, I found the email address she posted.  I debated for a whole 10 minutes before I sent her an email.  Another 10 minutes I received a reply.  She wasn't happy at all, hadn't been in a good marriage like I assumed and was recently, I'm talking weeks, divorced.  I was sorry for her and happy at the same time because even after 20 years we still connected like no time had passed at all.  That was 6 months ago and we are again engaged and ready to marry in the spring of next year.  We are both firm believers that everything happens for a reason!

1. KCC Big Country profile image86
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like the makings of a good love hub if you asked me.

1. livewithrichard profile image70
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of my writing outlets is with screenplays.  She and I agree that our story has the making of a Romance.  She's not into drama and neither am I so we decided if I do write it, it shoud be a romantic comedy. 

We are amazed at our timing.  Our paths had just missed each others dozens of times over the years and right at junctions where there could have been a reconciliation.  A relationship ending, and the first stages of her many years in a miserable marriage, along with chance encounters where we said nothing we wanted to say.

We'd need to give it a title of course...lol

1. KCC Big Country profile image86
          KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you should go for it!  Start writing bits of it, the title will surface.  I think it would make a great story!

Thanks, I think I just might.

2. Guardian1 profile image64

What a beautiful story and a well deserved end for you both. I wish you both the deepest happiness.

5. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

For love:  lost myself as an individual.
    For infatuation:  on spur of the moment, quit my job, left my family, relocated myself to a totally new country, not knowing anyone but him. 

Lesson learned:  there is no one more important to care for than myself...because as long as I am neglecting myself, there is no "me" to give away to anyone else.  smile

6. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

Can't think of anything.

7. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

It's already a good story if you ask me, I enjoyed reading about it anyway.......

Thank you and I wish it were just a story... funny thing, when I was halfway through writing that post, she called me just because she felt that I was needing her... I never felt this kind of connection with anyone except her, maybe I'm just a romantic sap. All I know is that second chances are very rare in life.  Not everyone gets a do-over.

1. profile image0
        dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did. do overs are special. your lucky. smile

2. Laura Berwick profile image79
      Laura Berwickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I also enjoyed reading your story!

The stupidest thing I've ever done for love/infatuation would be to have lost myself in it, and delayed my college graduation. But that's not half as interesting. I hope that everything works out for the two of you, know that you have finally found each other again.

8. Pete Maida profile image62
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

When I was eight I followed a girl home thinking I would catch up to her and talk to her.  I never had the nerve; I just watched her walk into her house.  We went to the same high school and I did talk to her eventually but she never knew that I followed her home.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)