should governor rick scott go to jail for voter suppression?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (92 posts)
  1. Friendlyword profile image60
    Friendlywordposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure is this will work again:

One day after I wrote a hub about the illegal attempts by Governor Rick Scott and his Secretary Of State to purge Blacks, Latinos and Elderly voters from Florida voter rolls; a Florida Judge and the United States Attorney General said they were in violation of the Voter Rights Act.  Since Scott & Co. claims they will continue to attack the voting rights of indivuals in his State; should he go to jail like any other common criminal?

It seems my words made a difference before.  I hope they will make a difference again!

1. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, on violation of  federal elections laws. He clearly has shown no respect for the law.

1. dragonflyfla profile image80
        dragonflyflaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What federal law has he violated?

1. steveamy profile image61
          steveamyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

voting rights act

2. Friendlyword profile image60

Scott; like Nixon, thinks he is above the law. Maybe he thinks that if he says it's the law; like Nixon; his criminal intent and actions will become law!

Scott does not think he is above the law. He is following the law!

1. steveamy profile image61

no he is not .... less that 90 days to the election the voting roles cannot be purged

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I think he is also under investigation for other crimes.

Like what?

1. American View profile image60
        American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dragon,

That gets said here a lot but no one has answered that question yet

I know his opponents keep throwing things at him but so far nothing has stuck. At least not to my knowledge.

2. steveamy profile image61

he ought to be

3. steveamy profile image61

he ought to be

4. dragonflyfla profile image80
    dragonflyflaposted 11 years ago

What terminology! Attack! Illegal attempts! Purge Blacks Latinos and Edlerly Voters!

The rule in Florida and the United States is that non-citizens do not vote in our elections. Anyone on the list is sent notification for the opportunity to respond. Scott is doing his job. Thank you very much. It is about time we had a Governor that does.

I agree with Scott the 'Right to vote is sacred, and should not be diluted by noncitizens.'  And the real question here is why didn't DHS allow them access to their database like they are supposed to do.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But it's not non citizens who are mainly being purged. You have elderly veterans being told they are not American citizens, mainly because of their last name. The amount of illegal aliens who vote in any election is negligible at best I bet.

I seriously doubt that. And if they are questioned they have the opporunity to respond.

Friendlywordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"And if they are questioned they have the opporunity to respond."

This twelth hour, underhand, targeted, and ILLEGAL tactics by this Gov and his hoods do not allow for the time needed to respond to his obvious attack on Democratic Voters.

HE IS A CROOK!(like Nixon) And he should go to jail for numerous crimes he committed on American Voters.  All over the Country, Republican Administrations are suddenly aware that they have voters that need to be questioned, documentation that needs to be checked, indentification that needs to be verified. This is a dirty scheme that targets specific people.  How many White male republicans are being Purged from Florida voter rolls...that are acutually stone cold dead for years?

You falling for the MSM's spin and not the facts. The reason it is the 12th hour is because they were following the law by contacting DHS.

"The (Florida) Secretary of State's office started asking for the right to access the Homeland Security database a year ago, and for whatever reason Homeland Security elected not to give it," Scott said.

"Scott said his administration was forced to sue Homeland Security — a lawsuit filed Monday demanding access to a massive immigration database called Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program, or SAVE — and that the action could not have been avoided.

"You falling for the MSM's spin and not the facts"

I'll accept as fact that Governor(I'M A CROOK)SCOTT attempts to purge Latinos from the voter rolls was driven by his honest belief that the "Right to vote is sacred, and should not be diluted by noncitizens." Ok...Now that's a given.

Explain to the voters of America:
              Why is Gov Scott dumping Old voters, young voters, Black voters, White voters...etc...etc That lived in florida all their lives?

Many have been dump from the voter rolls because they are Democrats, Plain and Simple Slimy!!! Republican Political Tactics!... That is voter suppression and it is ILLEGAL!

Explain the reasoning behind threatening people trying to register new voters!
              That is voter suppression and it is ILLEGAL!

AMERICAN VIEW! DRAGONFLYFLA!
              Please examine the facts.
              What are your conclusions?
              Tell the American voters what you would do with Gov(I'M A CROOK)Scott to protect them from this criminal.

Where is your documentation that he is doing this?

In the future; please address the comments in my forums...or don't!
                  Distaction tactics upsets me and disrupts the pace of the tread.

But I'll play along this one time. But, please stay on point.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c … ctions.php

2. American View profile image60

I would bet there are tens of thousands dead people on the voter rolls just from The Villages alone. Let alone from the rest the state. You know South Florida gets a lot of attention over the last few years due to the heavy Cuban and Latino population in and around the Miami area. People forget that Florida is the retirement capital of the US. Remember the joke, when you get old you go to Florida to die.

Did you hear about the mayor in Lee county?

She is comparing the voter reg. list to the jury list and anyone who refused to serve on the jury because they sent back a notice they were not citizens!  She stated they can't have it both ways!

Did they vote in the last 2 Presidential elections? Are they convicted felons?  If not under the voters act they need to be purged and they need to re register.  In the case of the convicted felon, if  they served their term and finished probation, they need to apply to the court to get their voter rights back and then they can register to vote.  That may seem cruel to some people, but sorry, the law is the law. People want to prosecute Scott yet look the other way for those breaking the law. Sort of like immigration, they break the law but lets not do anything about it. Now look at the size of the problem.

If it turns out he just tossed people off the rolls without checking properly or not getting the proper documentation to justify it, then I will be first in line and say hold him responsible. But It seem he is asking for documentation and is being denied it. Why would the administration not provide something he is suppose to get to do the job accurately?

"The amount of illegal aliens who vote in any election is negligible at best I bet."

I do not know how many illegals vote nationwide in any election but does that mean we should let any vote not cast properly be allowed to happen? Elections today are so close a few improper votes can make a difference. The 2000 Presidential election should show us that. Look at how many elections are so close these days. Al Franken won his seat by 12 votes.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ok, good. At least now we have an example of where you are coming from.

This turned out to be a difference on his birth certicate and his driver's license. No big deal all he had to do was respond to the request for clarifications:

"Allen failed to inform listeners of NPR's Morning Edition that Internicola's citizen status was questioned by state officials perhaps because of a date-of-birth discrepancy between his voter registration and his driver's license. Noted the Miami Herald:

Internicola admitted to one discrepancy in records. He says he was born in 1921, though he said his drivers’ license indicates 1919. The reason: in his youth he wanted to start driving early so “I bent the truth a little bit.”

Such a discrepancy should most certainly have raised red flags for government officials, and getting the matter reconciled as Mr. Internicola did serves the interests of preserving his right to vote while safeguarding the integrity of the electoral process."

I think this shows that what they're doing in Florida is working right.The original list was 182,000 according to the article but was eventually reduced to 2600. So obviously they have been able to contact the people on that list and afforded those people the opportunity to show they were a voter and they were added back to the roles of voters. It does not sound, based on what you showed, that they are just blatantly purging people off the list. It seems to me that Eric Holder and company are overstating what is actually occurring in Florida.

Now I guess I'm the one that has to do some research.

In the mean time; please address the issue of blocking voters right to register to vote. Explain why groups that tried to register voters were threatened with "unlawful detention" if registration forms were not handed in within 2 to 3 days of the citizen signing the voter registration form.
                Scaring people that just want to register people to vote, is VOTER INTIMIDATION and that is ILLEGAL. LOCK HIM UP!

An old man or lady that has to have someone bring them a voter registration form; can't get it, because, the person that gives it to them are scared they will be detained by lawless Bull Connor sent by CROOK SCOTT!
                That is VOTER SUPPRESSION and that is ILLEGAL.

I'll be right back...

Friendly,

Very good questions. registration groups are not "threatened" with unlawful detention and registration forms are not returned in 48 hours. Registration groups are asked to sign a form that basically says the same thing that is on every single voter registration form in every state. I have left you a link that will take you to an actual Florida registration form for you to read. It says " it is a third-degree felony to submit false information.Penalties include fines up to $5000 and/or up to five years in prison.

In a letter from the head of the Woman's  League of Voters, she says  " For example, the law requires voter registration groups to confront volunteers with a sworn affidavit threatening third-degree felony penalties and possible jail time and fines if voter registration laws are violated". Now, in reality all it is a one-page form that you a person who was going to go out and sign up people to register to vote, has to provide your name, basic information, and sign the bottom. Part of the form has the same that the woman's voters group claims to be a threat. When you fill out an application for employment, application for new credit card, driver's license, mortgage, any loan application, and a whole lot more somewhere on that form, generally in the area where you sign, there will be a small paragraph stating that you swear everything you provided is truthful and what the penalties are if you do not, generally includes jail time. So, do you consider that a threat when you apply for a job in the rest listed above? People just love to exaggerate and twist things to create a situation that really doesn't exist.

So to answer your question, No, those people signing the form to go out and register voters are not being intimidated, and that is not voter suppression.

Getting back to the actual 48-hour turnaround, I don't know if it's a hardship or not. People do their jobs report back to their boss everyday, people in the service industry like heating and air-conditioning, plumbing, electricians, have service technicians in the field everyday, have the customers sign the service invoice for the work that was done and bring those invoices back to their company every day or every other day so that the customer can be billed. I see no issue with the voter registration groups doing the same thing. Especially since these forms have personal information on them that if they accidentally lose them or end up in the wrong hands it could lead to identity theft I don't mean the kind for voting. I'm talking about the kind where they can get credit cards in your name and ring up the bill.

http://www.longdistancevoter.org/files/ … nglish.pdf

I HAVE SWAT A FLY!
                    I'll get right back to you.

5. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 11 years ago

I would say that if Scott was doing anything illegal that he should be held accountable.

The practice of purging the voter rolls is the responsibility of each state, according to the voters right act. It specifically says that is the responsibility of each state to keep the voter rolls accurate. It could be something as simple as the person passed away, to they haven't voted for two presidential elections in a row. Based on that it appears Scott is doing his job. We are not there looking over his shoulders to see exactly what is being eliminated or not to know if he is doing anything illegal.

I did find interesting Eric Holder's comment in response to Scott when he said there were several hundred thousand dead people on the rolls, Holders response was he didn't care don't remove them.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Holder must be expecting the dead to vote for Obama.

6. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I'm really not a fan of Rick Scott, and I think yes, he should go to jail for trying to take the rights of voters. It doesn't matter who they are, people are people and we all have the right to vote.

I'm a bit biased though, I thought he was a criminal before he got voted into office. I just don't like anything about him. Chalk it up to being female I guess, I just don't like the guy lol.

7. Friendlyword profile image60

OH MY GOODNESS!
    What is all that noise?  What in the world is going on out there! Why are all those people running around with their heads exploding...what...Oh Man!...look at that!...OH THE HUMANITY!!!...What's happening?

Today President Barack Obama...shut down the most highly funded, totally corrupt, and destructive Republican Party campaign...Billion of dollars worth of dirty tricks...years of sinister planning to destroy our working class...years and years of placing Republican Operatives in sensitive positions to fix this election...it all fell apart today...all because of an INK PEN.

Who would've thought it.  Such a mild mannered man!  So soft spoken...so sweet and nice...finally showed his teeth.  Our President is a scary dude.  He killed the Republican machine with kindness. It was so unexpected. It was so cunning and so slick and sweet. I'm scrared to death of the man now.  And, I love that man for his amazing act of bravery and kindness. It was such a sweet trap! 

Heads will be exploding around here for a while.  But, as you know, what always floats to the top.  Republicans will eventually scoop up their brains and try to think up ways to get back into this race. But for now, they won't know how to act.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/16/us/us … rants.html

Friendly,

Couple of points here, with the stroke of a pen the President did not show bravery, but avoidance. If you haven't thought he has shown his teeth before now I'm not sure what you been watching. This is the only President that I have ever seen not only tear into the opposite side of the aisle, go after his own people who disagree with him.

In my opinion in the president's attempts the lure the Latino vote, he is only partially answered the issue and created more problems. I know they're claiming this will help 800,000 people, what about the other 12 million? Does he expect these people to stay while their parents or the rest of their family faces deportation.

I have written about the immigration issue several times. It's kind of interesting that what he's trying to do was part of my suggestion to get people legal. Our country spends tens of millions of dollars trying to deport illegal aliens, between law enforcement, court time, lawyers for the prosecution, and of course lawyers that we have supply to the defendants, then there are those outside organizations that received donations or government grants to defend, lobby, and much more on behalf of the illegal aliens. Were talking tens of millions more in addition to the tens of millions the government to spend. There are organizations that set up rallies and protests that the illegals would show up to to get their voice heard. And then of course there are the illegals themselves who spend money to get false identification such as driver's licenses, Social Security cards and more, and then they live their life looking over their shoulder always on the run. Then their children grow up acting the same way, living on the run. It is a cycle that needs to end.

I have been saying for going on six years that instead of wasting all of this money, a set of wasting all this time on rallies, marches and all the rest, how about taking that money and organizing a nationwide campaign to get everybody to fill out the proper documentation and become legal. Go state-by-state, city by city. As long as they have a job, do not have a criminal history, they can be issued their cards to stay. If they have a criminal background they get deported. And of course those who are incapable of a job such as a retired person, handicap person, or stay at home mom, those could be exemptions to the they must have a job clause. It might take a year or so to go state-by-state and process everything, but at least the current problem would be solved, they would no longer be looking over their shoulders, those that have jobs and not paying taxes would now become taxpayers. And nothing says they have to become citizens, they just have to have the legal card to stay and renew it when the time comes.

Naturally, doing all this means nothing if they do not get better control of the borders. Otherwise doing this would be nothing more than like pouring water in a bucket that has a hole in, eventually have to put more water in it. The Republican approach has been don't put any water in it so you fixed the hole. Nothing wrong with that position, but it doesn't address the entire problem. Washington needs to do both, get everybody registered, and guard the border. Without doing both it will not matter what you do, because in the end it will be a failure.

AV Brilliant Idea!
        But!
        Nothing can be done as long as we have Republicans working against the President and the American People at every turn.  We have to throw those bums out in order to get the peoples' work done!

Glad you like this Idea. It was a Republican idea that I expanded on

8. quatrain profile image57
    quatrainposted 11 years ago

I voted for President Obama is 2008. But, you know, what is happening now, on so many fronts, transcends normal politics. It's almost gotten to the point where we have to decide if we are a democracy or not. When the President can choose with the stroke of a pen to ignore laws that our on the books, passed by Congress and signed by another President, then you have to wonder what's next?  I mean, we can cheer when it's a law we agree with, like this one, but what about laws that are put in place that we would prefer to keep. This willy-nilly arbitrary decisionmaking simply to win an election is going to undermine our democracy. I know a little about what it's like to live in a non-democratic country. It ain't pretty.

That's the reason so many independents like me are really concerned about our country right now. Obama behaves as if he isn't the President of a democracy. Instead, he behaves as if he is the leader of a cult of personality.

Quatrain,

First I have to say really great avatar name, really cool.

Next, you hit the nail right on the head. Most people do not read the executive orders or choose to ignore many of the things this President has done. I totally understand supporting your guy, but when you take a close look at how many times this President has ignored were trampled on the Constitution you would think it would raise your eyebrow. Several times when President Bush signed executive orders I said the same things. Only then it was Republican supporters that gave me grief instead of the Democrat supporters give me grief for saying the same things. Funny how that works.

Isn't this beyone an executive orders. He just enacted the Dream Act without going through congress, without a vote. This what a dictator does, not an American president. 

We are not a democracy with mob rule we are a constitutional republic.  The president doesn’t have the ability to do this. I remember a speech he gave where he admitted he didn't have the power (does anyone have a link to it.) 

The Department of Homeland Security also doesn’t have the authority to do this, this needs to come from congress.

" I totally understand supporting your guy, but when you take a close look at how many times this President has ignored were trampled on the Constitution you would think it would raise your eyebrow."

Did I not say the president  trampled on the Constitution that sentence above? I agree that above and beyond everything he loves living outside the Constitution.

May I see Documentation of your opposition to Bush Executive Orders.  Anything will do/emails, forum posts, hubs, letters to your Congressmen...

American Veiw wrote:"I know they're claiming this will help 800,000 people, what about the other 12 million?"

Their families that are here legally will vote for Obama, and vote out the republican congress!
        Billions of dollars of dirty money down the drain.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thus the motivation for the executive order, not what is best for the nation but what will benefit his reelection chances.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
            Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow! What an original concept!  lol  I'll bet you never voted for anyone who did this before!  lol

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

At some point the people need to stand for what is best for the Nation, not what will benefit one individual.

To steal a line from a movie"

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few was the one"

How would anybody turn down 41.3 million votes?  Especially if he's doing the right thing, and helping children.
                If it was a selfish Political move; it was a Brilliant political move and you should give the man his props!

Doing it for political move does not make it right, that is the difference that you do not seem to understand.

2. Reality Bytes profile image75

If the healthcare bill is ruled unconstitutional, we will find out soon, and somehow this action results in litigation.  I think this may be political suicide, as any gains he makes with the immigrant community, he will lose more in his base.  Many people are aware of rampant corruption throughout the system, and he may have just exposed his core principals.

President Obama is a politician.  Of Course he's going to do some things for political reasons. All that's left for you to decide is if he is doing it to benefit himself and others, or just himself.

Friendly,

Feel free to go back through my archives here on HP , on my other blog sites in my name, listen to the archives from my show anytime you want to.

You said :

"Their families that are here legally will vote for Obama, and vote out the republican congress!"

First the obvious, if their families were here legally, or came to this country legally in the first place, their kids would be legal and the executive order that Obama signed would never have been needed.

But you still didn't answer the question, what about the other 12 million illegals that are here, what was so special about those 800,000?

They are innocent children

What about the other 12 million?

There's nothing we can do.
                What about twice that amount of undocumented here from Europe Russia The Middle East Asia and every part of Africa.  We can't stop flow of undocumented people from coming to this Country because we have uncontrolled boarders and shores we can't possibly protect all we have is the deterrant affect of possible deportation.

And whatever brilliant ideas Republicans were for then against just to hurt Obama and the Country really don't matter since they're useless and just taking up space in Washington.

So I can say it is safe to say you would agree that doing anything internally in the country is useless until we secure the borders first?

It might be possible with todays' technology, but still be unfeasable cost wise.  It's just to much land and seashore to cover.  The only thing that is feasable is to charge employers with jail time.  However, because of the desparate shortage of cheap and highly skilled workers; the Government has to allow employers to hire undocumented workers and give them some kind of hope of citizship. For Gods' sake! These people are being invited here, they deserve some kind of peace eventually.

As you are scooping up your brain; let me explain our Government structure to you.
      The Executive Office
      The Congress
      The Supreme Court

Each branch of this government has specific powers given to them since the beginnings of this Country. The power of the President is Awesome! A lot of you forgot that given the mild manner of the man.  If some people were not so busy concentrating on the illegal and underhanded measure they can take to win this election...maybe they could do what the President did.  HAVE SOME GOOD IDEAS!

Thank you for the social studies lecture that we all already knew since the second grade. When I was in second grade you could not be promoted to the third grade unless you could recite the entire Constitution and its amendments, and the Declaration of Independence, in proper English, as it was written many years ago.

I'm glad you think the power of the President is awesome, but if you truly understood the workings of the government, Congress is actually stronger than the President.

Several times and noticed you called Obama a mild-mannered person, if you truly believe that is the case, then you took the bait hook line and sinker. Even fellow Democrats know Obama is far from mild-mannered, just ask those who disagree with him.

AV, my comments were a reply to someone elses comment.

"Congress is actually stronger than the President."

At this point, Congress has intentionally rendered themselves USELESS!

2. dragonflyfla profile image80

Here is that video of the President saying he could not suspend deportation with an executive order: http://youtu.be/J9isifcg9ik

He still can't!
            Executive Order is a Power the President has to use when a useless Congress refuses to act on an important matter. That's what our Founding Fathers gave the President; and he has to use it in this case because of the Republican refusal to pass any bill that may help the President or this Country-FOR POLITCAL REASONS THAT ONLY BENEFIT THEM!

No, that is not what the founding fathers said, the use of the executive order in the manner in which Obama used it is unconstitutional. It clearly states that the president has the right to make moves when Congress is in recess. Show me where in the Constitution it explicitly says the president can use an Executive Order to do what he pleases.

Let me ask you this, how is that the Republicans refuse to pass any bill? I strongly suggest that you go to the Library of Congress online and do some real research into the last four years of all the bills, and all the resolutions that have come before the House and the Senate.

And let's not forget to mention that the Democrats had complete control of the House and Senate for two solid years under Obama and of course the last two years under Bush. For years of Democratic control where they could do what they want, pass any bill they wanted, Obama care is a perfect example of that. If Republicans could obstruct as everybody claims Obama care never would have become a law. Republican obstruction is the biggest bogus Democratic talking point second only to it's all Bush's fault.

You are confusing "RECESS APPOINTMENTS" with "EXECUTIVE ORDERS" the latter, the president can sign any time the need arises-like when you have a Rupublican party passing bills to rename post offices and bridges and other such nonsence-and congress won't act in a responsible manner to help the American people because they want to hurt this President at any cost(to somebody else).

I have no confusion, you are just twisting it around to try an support you incorrect position.

Here it is , the constitution, show us where it says Executive order:

Article II - The Executive Branch Note

Section 1 - The President Note1 Note2

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice-President chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

(The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two persons, of whom one at least shall not lie an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; a quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two-thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice-President.) (This clause in parentheses was superseded by the 12th Amendment.)

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

(In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.) (This clause in parentheses has been modified by the 20th and 25th Amendments.)

The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Section 2 - Civilian Power over Military, Cabinet, Pardon Power, Appointments

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Section 3 - State of the Union, Convening Congress

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Section 4 - Disqualification

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Also fact, since you seem to think the Republicans are the ones not passing bills, Reid has tabled over 2700 bills, bills that do not get debated, looked at, or even voted on. Who is obstructing? You really need to do some research on this, you are sold on the talking points way to much.

I notice you avoided the point about the Dems complete control of Congress.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Obama has signed the least number of executive orders in his first term than any other president in recent history.

This I will agree with. The problem isn't with just one party, it is with both parties.

Yes it is, they are both to blame though they both will never admit it

10. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years ago

They plan on rigging the sate of Florida because without it Romney loses. There's nothing about jail here. What they are doing has been legal in the past--it put Bush into office. And the Supreme Court will rule in their favor again. I think what Randy was getting at is that this is just business as usual.

I am tired of business as usual!  As are a large share of Americans.

RB,

I am not sure that a large part of Americans are tired of business as usual. There are too many were so polarized, there are those who backed the Republicans, and there are those who backed the Democrats and neither of those groups will change and are willing to go down with the ship faster than the Titanic. I would like to think that there are more people like us who see things for as they are, look past all the talking points, and see the actual facts of what's going on. All you have to do is look here in these forums. I am always amazed just how blindly some of these people follow the talking points. They will spend more time doing research looking for the best plan for their cell phone than they will on important policies and issues facing our nation.

11. Friendlyword profile image60

AND ANOTHER THING!

Rick Scott is sueing DHS for records that are no more reliable than the DMV records they tried to use to purge hispanics from Florida Voter Rolls.  He just wasting time with nonsense to impress his tea bagger buddies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … ATFHmqbLZo

http://www.infowars.com/gov-rick-scott- … ase-purge/

Interesting that the federal government, the DHS, would not turn over records that would assist improving somebody is a citizen or not. They just hypercritical if they are holding the answers and then accusing Gov. Scott for doing his job under the voters act.

Of course the best list for showing if somebody is dead or not would be that of the Social Security rolls, which are also under the protection of the DHS and they won't release those either. Funny part about that is if you go to ancestry.com with a little research you could find out if somebody is deceased or not. I wonder why the Obama administration would take such a strong line on not providing to Gov. Scott something that is available to everybody?

"I wonder why the Obama administration would take such a strong line on not providing to Gov. Scott something that is available to everybody?"

How did you let this one get by you Cags?

?????????

12. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

If this were happening in any other state but FLORIDA, which still has the spectre of 2000 hanging over its head, there might not be such concern.
    If it were being spearheaded by another governor besides Rick Scott, it might not raise any red flags.

I doubt I'm the only one who remembers his squeaker of a victory against Alex Sink.
    Let's refresh our collective memories about Mr. Scott's integrity, shall we?
    Rick Scott is no stranger to run-ins with the feds.
    Giving the benefit of the doubt,it's conceivable Mr. Scott has truly learned his lesson about FRAUD and become an anti-fraud vigilante as the result of his own experiences with FRAUD.

I've excerpted key points.
    Politifact found this TRUE.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/state … estions-a/

Rick Scott "was forced to resign as the head of a company that pled guilty to massive amounts of systematic fraud, including 14 felonies, leading to a historic $1.7 billion fine."

"If Scott proposes the same accountability measures for Florida government that he used at Columbia/HCA, we'll have to back up the paddy wagon to the front door of the Capitol."
    "Florida simply can't trust someone who was forced to resign as the head of a company that pled guilty to massive amounts of systematic fraud."
    "The fact that Rick Scott is running for governor as a 'reformer' would be funny if it wasn't so outrageous. This is a man who barely escaped imprisonment, whose failure in business has been portrayed on national news and around the world. He is an embarrassment."

Why Scott left Columbia/HCA in 1997. That year, federal agents went public with an investigation into the company. The scope of the investigation at first was unclear; even Scott said he didn't know what the U.S. Justice Department was looking for. But it later became apparent that the investigation focused on whether Columbia bilked Medicare and Medicaid.

Scott resigned as CEO in July 1997, less than four months after the inquiry became public and before the level of fraud became known.

Company executives said had Scott remained CEO, the entire chain could have been in jeopardy.

In December 2000, the U.S. Justice Department announced what it called the largest government fraud settlement in U.S. history when Columbia/HCA agreed to pay $840 million in criminal fines and civil damages and penalties.

The government settled a second series of claims with Columbia/HCA in 2002 for an additional $881 million. The claims were largely related to additional allegations of fraud.

Then-Attorney General Janet Reno said, "This investigation has been the largest multi-agency investigation of a health care provider ever undertaken by the U.S. and reflects our commitment to vigorously pursuing all types of health care fraud schemes."

In interviews, Scott accepts responsibility for the problems at Columbia/HCA, but denies direct knowledge of the fraud.

But he also says, "...it's helped me become a better business person and a better leader."

I'm sure that's TRUE.

MM,

There's no question you could call his integrity into question if you knew that he was involved in the scheme. In the article and a few other places I checked it did not say he was involved and he claims he was not. But ultimately as the CEO is responsible, the buck stops with him. He was dismissed, and appropriately so.

I know that the felony convictions were part of a plea deal after Scott left according to all the articles I read, however, CEOs are directly responsible for criminal charges that happen on their watch. I'm extremely curious than why Scott did not serve any federal time, in addition a federal conviction would have kept him out of the governor's mansion.

MM, I was not aware of this to you pointed this out, it does give food for though,t doesn't it.

It does bring up another question, if all this was brought out prior to the election, how the hell did he get elected?

13. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Rick Scott is a sleazy, 'bought and paid for' corrupt businessman who has no place in governing a state.  He is an embarrassment to our state. He is part of the Koch Brothers agenda and has no interest in helping the people of Florida.

14. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I answered this in the previous post. Every state where Koch brothers had an interest $$$, their candidate won. It had nothing to do with his qualifications or lack thereof. At the time he was elected into office, Florida was deeply affected by job loss and foreclosures. Voters bought into his politi-speak about a businessman being able to bring jobs to Florida. Now voters are buying into the same 'speak' from Romney. Businessmen don't know how to govern.

I just want to point something out here. Since 1980 the Koch brothers have donated over $100 million into politics and think tanks. Since 1980 George Soros has donated over $8 billion into politics and think tanks. So while the Koch brothers money helps the Republicans, the Democrats have their own sugar daddy too

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If George Soros was really outspending the Koch Brothers by that wide of a margin there would be a lot more Dem governors and congresspeople. I guess it must be the liberal media not reporting on it, right?

MM

He is. He spent $35 million to back Kerry when he ran for President and that does not count all the super pac money and other organizations he donated to to try and defeat Bush.

Something tells me the Presidential race is going be an evan field as far as political contributions go. But, in the future Democratic contributors are going to pay more attention to the Swing State Governor and other Mid-term State office elections.

Thank you very much Ladies!  I thought I was going to far with the "Crook"Scott statement in the beginning of this forum. It seems Koch & Co. have installed two Governors in 2 possible swing States.  Talk about buying an Election.  This has to inspire regular folks to go back to Obamas' web site and start donating money the way we did for the last Presidential election.

Yup. I know my $25 will go a long way against the Super PACS.

Have a little faith. And remember you have a few friends.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/3 … rats-doing

You're right FW.
            And let's not forget Sarah Jessica Parker. She's publicly on the Obamawagon.
            Sexy single city dwelling clothes horses - sell just one pair of Jimmy Chiu's and donate the proceeds to Obama. Fundraising gap solved.
            smile

15. wetbaknproud profile image66
    wetbaknproudposted 11 years ago

he should go to jail but he won't, but at least we should all work hard to defeat these attempts to disenfranchise minority voters

16. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 11 years ago

Yea the voter system works so well, even a dead dog can vote

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2012/jun/18/b … y%2FLxBmPx

1. handymanbill profile image76
      handymanbillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is a problem so they are trying to fix it . Whats wrong with that???

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)