London Calling...

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (27 posts)
  1. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

While normally I Hub from the Pacific Northwest in the USA, in July 2012 I'm going to be in London for a few days in the first half of the month.  I don't have my schedule entirely nailed down yet but I thought it could be fun to meet some Hub authors as this is a rare opportunity for me to be in that area.

So, anyone interested in a London Hub Meetup sometime in the second week of July?

1. jimmythejock profile image84
      jimmythejockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would love to meet up relache but dont know if i can make it in July will let you know when i find out.....jimmy

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

kewl!...hope you get to meet up with some folks....

3. Linda Bliss profile image86
      Linda Blissposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could be fun! I live in London so just let me know the plans and I'll be there yikes)

4. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi relache, If I am free I will pop down for the day and meet you in London but cant say for definite at the moment  smile

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

I might be up for it. I meant to come up to London for a meetup last year, but couldn't make it.

3. Rickrideshorses profile image78
    Rickrideshorsesposted 12 years ago

I'd go along to Hub Meetup. Never been to one before or met anybody from Hubpages 'in the flesh' so would be interesting!

4. ElizaDoole profile image81
    ElizaDooleposted 12 years ago

I can be there I am outer London area. Let me know the details. x

5. Marion Elodie profile image61
    Marion Elodieposted 12 years ago

I live in London but I probably won't be here at this time. Too bad, it would be nice to meet fellow Hubbers!

6. RolyRetro profile image72
    RolyRetroposted 12 years ago

I work in London and am new to all this, but happy to host a meet somewhere in the city.  I am near London bridge, just name a date.

7. Susana Suarez profile image75
    Susana Suarezposted 12 years ago

I might be able to be around, just post the details, when and where.

8. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

Depends on the date etc, but I was one of the two who went to the Hub camp in London last year and it was so nice just to meet another Hubber.

If I can come , I will, let us know- oh yes it is the olympics I hope you have your accommodation sorted as it may be rather difficult to find and rather expensive I am afraid

1. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was great to meet you at the Hub Camp case1worker, would be good to catch up this year.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image61
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it would be!  Let's see what  Relache's plans are!

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks to AirBnB.com, I have a very economical room in someone's flat, already arranged and paid for.  It's an awesome option for a single traveler and spares me having to be in a hostel with a few hundred 20-somethings getting their whatever on all night.

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I am going to be in London the second week in July.  I'm still working out a bunch of plans, but I can say for sure that on Monday July 9th, I will be at the Warner Brothers Harry Potter studio tour for the 1pm tour.  I'm doing the whole package where I catch the coach from Victoria out to the studio and back, so if anyone is into that sort of thing, just get yourself some tickets for that same time, post here to say you're coming along and then it should mostly be just a matter of keeping an eye out that day for the person who looks just like my avatar. (I'm seriously purple.  It's easy to spot.)

The evening of the 9th, I've got a flexible time ticket for the London Eye so that's an easy vicinity for meeting too. (having a meetup on a gigantic ferris wheel would be sort of original, wouldn't it?)

I'm still working out my activities for that Tuesday and Wednesday (so many things to do!), and then Thursday the 12th at 11am, I get on the Eurostar and head to Paris.

Would anyone have time to meetup in the evening of July 9th or 10th or the morning of the 12th?  So far, I know better where I'm going at those times.

BTW, here's the URL of the London HubPages Meetup group,
    http://www.meetup.com/HubPages/London-GB/67408/

Joining makes all the planning and reminders really easy...

10. jacobreeves profile image59
    jacobreevesposted 12 years ago

I'd love to attend, but I don't think I'll be in London during this time! Bummer!

11. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

Having worked out my schedule a bit more, I think meeting the evening of July 10th would work well for me.  Would people like to meet somewhere and eat?  Or just hang out?

12. relache profile image72

I picked a pub for the Meetup based on reviews on Yelp.  If anyone has a better suggestion, please let me know.  If not, I look forward to seeing you in July!

13. relache profile image72

Here's an incentive for any London Hub authors considering coming to the Meetup.

Meetup is having a contest for their 10th birthday.  If you sign-up for and attend a Meetup local to you and that meeting has four or more attendees, all the attendees get registered to win a free trip to any Meetup in the world. 

Here's the post where they announced it and listed their rules.
    http://meetupblog.meetup.com/post/24879 … -all-of-us

Not a bad side bonus, huh?....  See you in London!

14. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

It takes me a minimum of 3.5 hours to get to my daughter's in Wimbledon, where I would have to spend the night, and costs a fortune in petrol or train fares. Then it's 45 minutes or more on the tube from there to Holborn. I'd have to leave early as well as I do not feel safe being alone on the tube and streets of London after 9 pm.

I'm afraid it's not an option for me, especially mid-week. Sorry.

15. relache profile image72

Too bad.  However, that's when I'm going to be in London.  If you perchance you were going to be in Glastonbury the weekend before or Chartres, France the weekend after, then we could meet on a weekend.

16. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Sounds like a great trip!

Are you going to be in Paris for Bastille Day? You'll love it! Do you know anyone there, or are you meeting any hubbers?

17. relache profile image72

I will be in Chartres for Bastille Day.  I'm going to be checking out the cathedral and the summer light festival that happens there.

18. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Sounds amazing! I haven't seen the cathedral there, but I've read about it. I did tour Notre Dame while in Paris. Sitting inside was incredible. It was so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes.  You are going to fall in love with the French countryside and villages.
    If you're going to spend any time in Paris, I have a friend who always loves to meet Americans. Let me know, I'll check to see if she will be in the city at the time and I could email you her phone number. I just heard from her today. smile

19. relache profile image72

My time in Paris is going to be split, with a bit falling on either side of a big chunk spent in the south of France.  The single night there on my front end I'm meeting up with a friend of mine from the USA and at the very end of my trip I have two days there.  I'm there the 22-23 of July.  I'll be checking out Notre Dame myself as it's actually full of alchemical imagery, and that's one of my personal pursuits.

20. relache profile image72

Hey, just a week until the London HubPages Meetup!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)