Do the LA Lakers have a chance to land Dwight Howard

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure giving away Odom was the right thing to do, but it seems like it's a play to open up some money to bring in the next major star to replace Kobe Bryant as he nears retirement.  Don't get me wrong, Kobe has a few more good years in him. 

Does Dwight Howard make the Lakers a contender if they have to give up Bynum and Gasol?  Still feels like they need a solid quick guard, more than a center.

1. JKenny profile image90
      JKennyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like Dwight Howard, he's very talented; but I think the Lakers would be making a mistake in trading Bynum or Gasol away, Bynum especially has been awesome this season. I agree with you, the Lakers need to focus on replacing Kobe with a talented guard, and don't forget Derek Fisher's not far off retirement either. I think the Lakers can just about be called contenders, but my money is on Oklahoma to come out of the west.

2. albertcamus27 profile image60
      albertcamus27posted 11 years agoin reply to this
  2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I think the Lakers are probably the fourth best team in the west.  Fisher has aged quite a bit the last few years.  They really need a top level point guard.  I think Steve Nash would even be an upgrade - rumors floating that he may be traded...

1. JKenny profile image90
      JKennyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I agree Steve Nash still has a couple of seasons left in him, and really he could do with leaving Phoenix; they are simply not the team they used to be. He deserves one more shot at getting a ring. If he moves to the Lakers they instantly become a serious contender.

3. profile image0
    rickyliceaposted 11 years ago

According to yahoo sports its either LA or Houston, since the Nets resigned Brook Lopez.
    So its a good chance, lets just hope Stern doesn't squash the trade like he did with Chris Paul.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

I'm not sure that Howard is that much of an upgrade to Bynum.  I think they still need to sign him since he is in his last year.

Advantages of Howard
    - He's better looking
    - He's a better rebounder
    - He is quicker
    - He's better defensively

Advantages to Bynum
    - He's better offensively with his back to the basket
    - He's improving more than Howard

Tie
    - They both seem crazy

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile smile

Perhaps he will go to Houston or stay!

5. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

look like Howard has done an about face and says he may sing a long term deal with the Lakers. With his free throw problems, lack of offensive moves,and very foul prone, I don't see such an advantage in getting him. Bynum is only getting better.

Remember those teams that try to put together a super team at ALL positions.   The rockets did it with an older Pippen and Barkley, the 04 Lakers, 2011 Eagles last year, all lost.  There is no fluidness.
    Howard will want his points, as will Kobe, as will Gasol, even Artest complained about his low scoring.
    Miami had 3 ALL-stars not 4 or 5 all-stars. And then Lakers pick up another aging veteran in Antawn Jamison.  He is not an upgrade to Matt Barnes. Jamison is a horrible shooter. I only like the Nash trade other than that they are still behind OKC

6. jeolmoz2 profile image56
    jeolmoz2posted 11 years ago

I think latest news is a three way deal involving Lakers, Magic & Cavaliers is in place and it will send Dwight Howard to Los Angeles...sounds just like what D12 wanted! Glitch? There's always one, right? Andrew Bynum doesn't want stay with Cavs for more than one year.
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6917646_f248.jpg

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

oh my! What a circus, Howard likes to go to Lakers! smile

7. dontaytte profile image74
    dontaytteposted 11 years ago

I think the Lakers will be great at this point with or without Dwight Howard. There team from last year could have beaten OKC if they had stuck to there original game plan from games 2 and 3, stuck together, and if Kobe could have gotten his teammates more involved. Plain and simple If Steve Nash controls the ball they are going to win, but if Kobe starts ego tripping again, they will be a step away from the finals again.

1. ftclick profile image55
      ftclickposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true.  They don't need Howard.  He's foul prone, has limited offensive moves, but rebounds and blocks shots. In addition, LA's bench is still weak and their guys are getting older. Even if Artest, Nash, Kobe, & Gasol come to camp or opening games in shape, it takes a toll when you get older and endure the long season.  Nash has chronic back problems since a few years ago. I still pick OKC unless Lakers get a decent bench. Jamison is not that answer. Teams with a bench seem to go a lot farther. And don't count San Antonio out. They will be looking for revenge against OKC.  It will be a tough season.

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

I think you're right that they are still short of OKC, although the Lakers seem like they're willing to make moves....

9. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Kobe is happy in London, they are finalizing trade of Howard to Lakers! smile

10. SoManyPaths profile image60
    SoManyPathsposted 11 years ago

Looks like it is done. We know the history of super teams in the past.

11. profile image54
    gautams1posted 11 years ago

Lakers got Howard now they need to find a way for Nash, Kobe, and Howard to co-exist. I will definitely be watching a lot of Laker games this year.

12. Manny2437 profile image67
    Manny2437posted 11 years ago

Im telling you right now they will have no problem co existing. Everyone knows their role, Dwight knows its Kobes team until Kobe is done Steve Nash is the most unselfish basketball player alive it will be Thunder/Lakers conference finals and the winner will face the Heat. Simple as that.

13. ocbill profile image53
    ocbillposted 11 years ago

Manny, I agree with you. Kobe got along with Malone and Payton but I do think he needs to ball to be effective and Nash holding the ball for long may create animosity. I side with Thunder though since Lakers are older. Oh, yes this NBA season could be on the best yet in the western conference. Denver is loaded too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)