Blocking Google certified ad networks has increase my earnings!

Jump to Last Post 51-75 of 75 discussions (186 posts)
  1. Helena Ricketts profile image91
    Helena Rickettsposted 11 years ago

I've only been making pennies through Google for my blogs and HubPages so I'm going to give it a shot and see how it works too.

The setting for interest categories that shows the viewer ads based on what they have previously looked at is just downright annoying.  I did a blog on vintage hay hooks over a week ago and Google ads is STILL showing me hay hooks for sale.  Funny thing is, I didn't do a search for hay hooks anywhere except for Amazon to post an affiliate link.

I'll let you know how it works for me.  Thanks for posting this!  My traffic has fallen since the last Google update so even if it makes a few more cents a day, I'm happy.  smile

2. Rain Defence profile image79
    Rain Defenceposted 11 years ago

If you install a program called ccleaner then you can have your cookies and temp files automatically deleted every time you restart the computer. It helps your computer to run faster and gets rid of the ad tracking issue.

1. Helena Ricketts profile image91
      Helena Rickettsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've heard of a program called cleaner but it had slipped my mind before I downloaded it.  Thanks!  I will do that!  I'm SO tired of looking at ads for hay hooks!  smile

2. Marsei profile image89
      Marseiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love ccleaner!  My computer guy told me about it.  It's wonderful.

3. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

I am searching some sort of ideas from internet that really enhance my exposure to earn online. It's a great idea any how. If you have some new creativity please share also.

4. Scribenet profile image61
    Scribenetposted 11 years ago

Further note...I reported a jump in traffic and wrote the total views down last night...this morning the total view have been altered to over one hundred "less"...lol...something's stinky or I simply do not understand since this makes no sense whatsoever! How can more views decrease the total?

Any suggestions?

5. DDS profile image82
    DDSposted 11 years ago

I am trying this as well.  I'd get a small but steady amount from the HP ads...but lets see how Google does on it's own with all the extra ad networks shut down. 
    Worth a shot!

6. RichusFridum profile image61
    RichusFridumposted 11 years ago

could you give me the specifics on how to do this?

7. Rfordin profile image79
    Rfordinposted 11 years ago

Ok guys I briefly read through the comments and followed the instructions.... I ended up blocking 710 "certified" ad networks..... So what ads will still show? Any? Sorry about the confusion I'm just confused myself....will ANY ads show now?

8. lovebuglena profile image84
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

How do you know how many "certified" ad networks you've blocked? Is there a list of them in the AdSense account? I've tried blocking networks on my AdSense account. Can't say my earnings have really gone up. They are about the same as usual... I've yet to make over $10 in a given month. That's only happened once for me.

1. Doodlehead profile image48
      Doodleheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Does anyone know what a "Google Certified" ad is?  How are these different than any other ads?

2. 2besure profile image81
      2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lovebuglena, you have a decent about of hubs.  Are you using HP Ads, Google, or both.  I can not believe you don't make but $10 a month.  Do you use pinging sites, like Pingoat or Pinagmatic.  It is legal with Google and they let the web know you have something they need to see.  Whenever I use it I get more views and earning.

1. TheKatsMeow profile image89
        TheKatsMeowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I concur with 2besure. lovebuglena: I think you should be making much more, given the amount of Hubs that you have.

9. DDS profile image82
    DDSposted 11 years ago

Just a quick question... I blocked all 700 of the 'Google certified ads' ...will this work or should I only block some of them.  If only some of them what criteria should I use?

1. 2besure profile image81

There are a little over 700 ads in the Certified Google Ads.  They are located in, "Ads Network"  I block them all.

10. DDS profile image82
    DDSposted 11 years ago

Ok I blocked them all as well.  Fingers crossed that this works.

11. profile image0
    redwhiskeypeteposted 11 years ago

Im using the hubpage earnings program not adsensed even though google still places ads on my hubs. How do you block google certified ads?

12. HikeGuy profile image70
    HikeGuyposted 11 years ago

2besure -- Thanks for posting about this. I use Adsense on my blogs. For the first three weeks or so after blocking network ads my earnings were lower. I decided to give it more time and I'm glad I did. My Google earnings doubled this month over last month -- nearly twice as many clicks, too, even though my traffic was slightly lower this month.

My HP ads revenue is down 30 percent this month, after growing steadily. My traffic here is pretty stable, even though I don't do much with HP. I stopped publishing here when they changed the TOS, but I do make HP payout regularly so I've opted to keep the hubs.

It's interesting that you do better with Google here. Maybe I'll give that a try, now that many of my hubs are seasoned.

Thanks again for the tip, I hadn't experimented with Adsense settings before.

HikeGuy, this is very encouraging news!  I feel when you use HP ad with Google, they are competing for the same dollars and it slow down the process.  I have been very happy using only Google; but it is good to know you have HP ads as a back up when Google gets crazy!  PS.  it is also important to write hubs that will give you related ads.  Look at the ads your hubs are producing.  If you write on an obscure topic, you may not have related ads, and people are less likely to click on ads, that have nothing to do with the reason came to your hub in the first place.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, of course they do.  When you have HP Ads switched on, it displaces most of the Adsense ads (leaving only one at the end of the Hub). 

This is only important if you've chosen to stick with Adsense and you're not using HPAds.  HP Ads are paid on impressions, so getting actual clicks is much less important.  That's why HP Ads works so much better for some people, who may not be so good at driving readers to actually click on ads.

13. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 11 years ago

Alright, I'm giving this a shot. I earn very little with AdSense (on HubPages), so I figure I'll try this out. I'll let you know my results.

14. HikeGuy profile image70

Yes, for now I'm planning to stick to HP ads here because most of my hubs are for enjoyment and information. I didn't plan them for monetization.

My Google earnings on my blogs amount to folding money each month, so seeing that double has been encouraging. Given that the blogs are only a few months old, the Adsense growth is at a good level.

I need to learn more about how what all the figures on the dashboard mean, but I think you're right, 2besure -- blocking the network ads means I'm getting ads that pay out more served on my blogs. They are also more appealing to my readers, based on increased clicks even though my traffic was a little lower. As I've learned from others, it isn't only traffic that matters, it's conversions.  Your tip was one of the most valuable things I've found on this. If anyone else tries this, bear in mind my income went down before it doubled. As the I Ching says, Persistence furthers.

"it isn't only traffic that matters, it's conversions."  You've got that right HikeGuy!

15. gkerosi profile image61
    gkerosiposted 11 years ago

I agree with you.

16. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 11 years ago

Adsense is an ad auction - more networks is more  bidders , only the highest bidders appear.

There is almost no scenario where blocking any potential biddder could help you earn more, you are most certainly going to lose money if you follow this practice.

Even if the OP actually did see an increase in earnings - one would need to grill her on her tracking and testing metrics to discover whether her findings were correlated or caused by her change.

Did you publish new hubs, did you gain more traffic, did you gain more traffic from different sources , etc etc etc

17. isenhower33 profile image65
    isenhower33posted 11 years ago

Pretty simple, I wrote a hub all about SEO tools, but go to pingler.com is the one i use...ping your hub then ping your profile

18. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 11 years ago

An update to let you know what happened when I blocked Google certified ads and interest based ads about a month ago. My AdSense revenue dive-bombed. I let the blocks stay for nearly a month and the results were dismal. Three days ago, I unblocked what I had blocked, and AdSense earnings have already picked up.

Guess this worked for some but not for others, as many have shared through this thread. For me, it didn't pan out.

19. Doodlehead profile image48
    Doodleheadposted 11 years ago

What are "Google Certified Ads" about?  What is it Google certifies?

20. HikeGuy profile image70

Update: Last month my Adsense was up 213% with the network ads blocked; this month I only made half as much as last month on Adsense. This is mainly from one blog -- I don't use it on HP.

My HP ad income was down for the beginning of this month, and now the last few days have been some of the highest revenue days I've had here, so even with the very slow start, I'll make almost as much on HP as I did last month.

There are many factors when it comes to ad revenue. What struck me is that my Adsense income increased significantly -- after about three weeks -- after I blocked network ads, even though my traffic was down slightly from the previous month.

This month I didn't do any promo at all -- I write for a living, so HP and blogs languish when I need to do a lot of immediate-pay work.

Someone mentioned blocking interest-based ads. I don't do that. I just checked, and interest-based ads supplied almost half of this month's Adsense income. See under Performance Reports> Targeting Types.

I'm glad I gave it a shot. I share 2besure's spirit of adventure. I'm willing to check things out for myself.

1. viryabo profile image93
      viryaboposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HikeGuy, how does one know (or find out) which ads supply Adsense income?

2. 2besure profile image81

hikeguy, i'll try unblocking my blocking interest-based ads.

1. HikeGuy profile image70
        HikeGuyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Let me know how it works for you. As a private person, I dislike the interest-based ad concept, yet I was surprised at how well they're working on my favorite blog.

The good thing is that we can each track for ourselves what works best. It may vary by topic and any number of factors. I may try other settings on my holiday blog to do a comparison, but it won't be a fair experiment because that one's less established.

It's possible someone with interest-based ads blocked would make more money on other ads -- yet they're bringing in folding money for me, so for now I'm keeping them.

You know they are never going to just lay it out for us.  I am glad we have opportunities to see what works best.  When you are dealing with Adsense, if it works, you I have found, I see the difference pretty quickly!  I'll let you know how I do.

3. 2besure profile image81

I am seeing a big difference, lower crt, but more money!

21. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 11 years ago

Okay, i see it. You already mentioned it in your post. Guess i read too fast and missed it. smile

22. AMFredenburg profile image74
    AMFredenburgposted 11 years ago

Okay, I'm completely clueless. I just published my first hub about a week or so ago, and so far I've earned 28 cents from the HubPages earnings program. I looked at my hub, and see Google ads plus an Amazon ad that I put on the hub, but no other ads, so how am I earning any money? Not a penny yet from Google. Is the HP program completely separate from Google? I think I have a cliff of a learning curve, here....

23. formosangirl profile image79
    formosangirlposted 11 years ago

Yes, I was finding only 1-cent and 2-cent clinks after making the change as suggested here. Now, changing it back my clicks are now back to close to 50 cents. Quite a difference!

Great glad to here you saw a difference.  We are all learning something about these types of ads and blocking vs, not!  Cook!

24. HikeGuy profile image70

AM:
    Here's the official post about how the HP ads and Google ads work here:
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/mone … n-partners
    You can run either ad program or both. My hubs are more informative than product-oriented, so I only use HP ads here.

Yes, there's a learning curve. What works for one person won't necessarily give the same results to someone with different topics, a different style, etc. Things can change over time, too. Hubs gain authority with Google after they've been up for *months,* so it's not instant.

About adjusting ads on hubs: Click edit, and it's on the right sidebar, last I looked.

2besure:
    Glad you're seeing a boost in income!

My HP income is down slightly from last month, yet given that I've done little promo and got behind on updates, that's not bad. Adsense is down, yet I'm still making more than I used to, so it's all good. I did a round of updating and promo to boost traffic.

New Experiment: (Anyone who wants to see what this means, go to your Google Adsense Dashboard, click "Allow and Block Ads," then click "General Categories." "Sensitive Categories" is the link next to it, and right at the end of the links across the top of the page is "Ads (Review Center)."

I took a look at ad impressions and percentage of revenue on the links above and blocked categories that are getting impressions with little or no revenue. My thought is that by filtering out ad categories that don't bring in money, I'll maximize the ads categories that work for my content. I'm not suggesting that anyone else try this.

I also signed up for the Ad Review program (see above to find it). This will allow me to allow or block specific ads. More fun. I'll let you know, although this is an odd time of year for experimenting. Thanks again for your spirit of adventure.

Hikeguy, thanks for taking time to give us so much information.  It is always good to hear from others who may have a different slant on things.  I will go back and check sensitive categories, and block any that I am not making money with.    Wonder what will happen?  To be continued...

1. HikeGuy profile image70
        HikeGuyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

2beSure -- How's it going?

Anyone interested in this discussion -- read the *entire* thread. This is not a beginner's experiment. I'm not suggesting that anyone else do this, it's simply an experiment.

My CTR and RPM so far for January are both more than double what they were for December. It's difficult to say whether that's specifically because of the additional ad blocking. The increased Click Through Rate is encouraging. (For anyone unfamiliar with these terms, you can Google them for definitions).

Allow and Block ads is on the blue banner at the top of the dashboard in Classic View on the Home page for AdSense.

25. profile image53
    holocontainmentposted 11 years ago

Do not follow this article, I did a 1 week trial and my daily average dropped like a cliff hanger with no more foot holding to carry on.

It completly destroyed my month of Januray and I'll probably have a smaller monthly earnings than I did last month.

Do not attempt this method it kills your cpc, and poteintal visitors from clicking on your ads!

Regardless, thanks for your effort for making a suggestion. It just didn't work.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)