Any former eHow writers who want to comment on 'idle hubs' ?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Norman Stein profile image60
    Norman Steinposted 11 years ago

As a former eHow author this whole 'quality hub' situation looks all too familiar.

Anyone have thoughts on this? 

After all, if I remember correctly, we went through this over there years ago before they shut down the WCP program.

1. galleryofgrace profile image70
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see the difference here as being that our hubs are still published but they're  not being indexed by google.

Norman Steinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True, but they started with the 'quality sweeps', same thing here...

1. galleryofgrace profile image70
          galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So I suppose we just wait and see what happens with hubs that don't get repaired. I do not want to think -this is the beginning of the end. The ehow ending was really traumatic.

Norman Steinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Traumatic is an understatement, when they shut down the WCP it hurt bad financially, I was getting 4 figures a month and it was going up fast.

They had (have) such a great KW authority in any subject that you could write 'How to scoop Dog Pooh from the Sidewalk and still look Cool" and make tons of money off of it.

Flashback?  Not a flashback I'm enjoying.  I just hope they treat us right.  We are, in the end, people.  Not just dollar signs.

2. 2besure profile image80
      2besureposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Flashback!  When I first say it, it felt uncomfortably familiar!

3. AMFredenburg profile image72
      AMFredenburgposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was an eHow writer and am a DS editor, and I understand the need for keeping the quality up -- especially AP (after Panda). I wish the whole WCP and ensuing bloodbath over quality had unfolded differently at DS. I'm just now dipping my toe into HubPages -- need to study this before I submit any hubs. I hope this is a legitimate way to keep up quality and improve rankings, and not the beginning of an end.

2. tussin profile image57
    tussinposted 11 years ago

At least HP's move doesn't result in anything permanent, the article is still live on the site and it's possible to de-idle it.

Making money from eHow was insanely easy before Google cracked down on quality, that's for sure.

1. 2besure profile image80

I made at least 600 a month on eHow.  Hated to see the writers program close down.

3. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
    Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years ago

I didn't post on eHow, so sorry to jump in.  But I must say that I am quite horrified by this Idle Status thing.  Many of my very best hubs have been given this Idle Status, and they're just not updatable.  Some of them are book reviews, some of them are observational pieces about places that I've been to and had to talk about and share.  There's nothing I can add to them, unless I stick an out-of-place, just-for-the-sake-of-it addendum or 'Update' or other contrived extra add-on bit - anything I add on at the end will ruin each hub, and just look ridiculous.  I'm very, very annoyed that HubPages have done this, and am hoping that I can find somewhere else to move all of my hubs to. 

I just keep thinking, how dare they imply that my hubs are substandard!  I'm a good writer, and I resent their efforts to get rid of my older hubs just to make HubPages look a little tiny bit better.  They use these kinds of measures to rout out bad writing - unfortunately, the good writing also falls prey to it.

It's only possible to de-idle hubs if you make updates to them - I cannot do this, and that's not a sign of a bad writer, it's a sign of the writing being as good as I want it to be at the time of creation.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

An "update" can be as trivial as rearranging the words in a sentence or tweaking the title - it will still serve the same purpose from an idle hub point of view, i.e. it will put it in the pending queue and make it live again. Of course, if it doesn't get traffic it will go back to idle again.

I totally sympathise with you btw - some of my best hubs have gone idle. Of course, that's "best" according to my definition of the word (well-written and interesting). However, they weren't getting much traffic which is why they were given a virtual anaesthetic.

1. Lady Wordsmith profile image75
        Lady Wordsmithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It just doesn't appeal, you know?  Who wants to go back and rework old stuff, really?  I'm more interested in the new hubs that I might create (MIGHT!) - it just highlights to me that I'm not the kind of writer that HP wants to be bothered with, and most of the friends I've met on here (who are still around, lots of them have left!) are in the same boat - their writing doesn't sell, because it's too personal, and has nothing to do with SEO.  We're not in advertising, we don't want to write to sell.

I'm going to stick with it for a little longer though, until I can find somewhere more creative to write.  I've been loyal to HP over the past two years, and I've defended some of HP's changes at times too.

2. 2besure profile image80

Make a few changes to the first paragraph or two.  That should do it!

1. giocatore profile image89
        giocatoreposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Change one word. That's all that's required.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes you can.  As Felicity says, all you have to do is reword one or two sentences, or add another image.  That's all I did with mine, and they came out of Idle.  Irritating, but not a lot of effort.

Which just goes to show how silly this "Idle Hub" business is!

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 11 years ago

The idle Hubs thing here is just like Squidoo's WIP function.  That's been in place for years, and I don't find it a problem.

5. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 11 years ago

I'm not surprised eHow had to slow down. The site was a mass of junk posts. If you have ever gone there with the purpose of finding useful content you are quickly disappointed. I could find twenty posts all about the same thing and only ONE of them would be based on any real experience or knowledge the writer had. In the end I don't even read a post at eHow unless it comes with an image proving the writer has some clue about the topic.

eHow lost a lot of credibility. Online, a site needs to be more than a dumping ground for content. A site, like eHow or HubPages, has to keep a good reputation for having GOOD content, not just a lot of useless content duplicated over and over again.

When I'm seriously looking for information online I look at independent blogs rather than any network site. The independents are far more experienced and knowledgeable than people on writing networks who are cranking out content for numbers rather than creating content which will have real value as information. That is the mistake which eHow made and I hope HubPages will manage to stick around long enough to fix their own content problems.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I cannot tell you how many times I've gone back to former hubs and thought...geesh...did I really write this junk?  What was I thinking?  I have re worked every single one of them, often more than once, and am always happier with my work afterwords.  I like the new policy and really feel it will make HP a more credible site.  This, I believe, will also bring more views and more income, but whether it does or it doesn't, I don't want to leave a legacy of work behind that smacks of mediocrity or poor substance.  No matter how well you write, there is always room for improvement...so that's my two cents for what they're worth!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)