Order of Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image93
    Jean Bakulaposted 11 years ago

The most recent hubs I wrote are listed first. My most popular ones are down near the bottom of the page. I don't know how to move them around. I have the Featured 6 fixed. But how can I change the order of the way my pictured hubs are displayed? Most of our popular hubs are the older ones which have aged, and they are way out on the bottom.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

My theory:

The old ones don't need the exposure so much, the new ones do. smile

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I think if you place hubs in the "featured" list, this forces them up the page. That seems to be the only way to tinker with the order.

You could also try writing a new throwaway hub, which has just enough relevant content to let you justifiably include links to the hubs you want to promote.

It is infuriating though to be subject to the despotism of a "Big Brother" rather than being able to manage our subdomains as we wish.

Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hello WriteAngled,
      Yes, I am somewhat disturbed. Two years of writing and my most read stuff is at the bottom. I do Metahphysical stuff, and lately wrote about people of certain astrology signs in politics. So before I changed the featured 6, anyone would have thought I was a political writer. I did get a link to my blog in there. I write for 2 other sites and my blog, and although I knew at some point we would be forced to change, was putting it off. The administration has been very quiet about the fact our links to our other work would not be working in the profile. I have about 4 more pieces to finish a series, and will not be adding any new content to HP. But now I wonder if I should start taking content off. It's true our newer stuff needs the exposure more, as paradigmsearch mentions. I guess I can changed the "featured" ones after a certain interval of time, like a week? I'm too upset to spend much time with it now. Plus the "backgrounds" are so busy, it gives one a headache to look at them. This is nasty.

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I have used a plain black background, apart from one small logo.

That looks nice. When I decide, I think I will do something similiar. I guess I have to get used to how it looks, it seems overwhelming. A plain, colored background would do the trick. Thanks.

5. derek gulbranson profile image78
    derek gulbransonposted 11 years ago

Hi Jean, thanks for the suggestion.

Oh wow, I've definitely never been referred to as "Big Brother" before. Neato. Let me see if I can step up to the challenge.

The Hubs on your profile are currently ordered from newest to oldest by the date they are published. Another easy alternative would be to order them by popularity, so your most popular Hubs are at the top. But this leaves your new Hubs nowhere to be found.  So the next idea is what about having 2 sections, one for your new Hubs and one for "other". But how many do you include in the new section? Someone someplace will be unhappy with whatever number you pick. Or maybe we should implement some kind of custom ordering system like WriteAngled suggests. But that would be a pain for Hubbers with hundreds of Hubs. It needs to be right, automatically, all the time. What does that solution look like?

I definitely think it can be improved but the right answers to these questions are not obvious to me. In order to avoid creating a more complicated system that still doesn't actually solve the problems or spend a week resolving the definition of perfection for ordering Hubs on the profile, we opted for the simplest solution that mostly works not horribly. Sorry to inflict our "despotism" on you. smile Definitely open to any suggestions on easy ways to make everyone happy all the time.

6. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

Perhaps we could have the option to highlight a particular group to the top of our profile.  This would give hubbers control over which hubs to add to the group and which group would reside at the top?

1. derek gulbranson profile image78
      derek gulbransonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good suggestion, except it already exists. smile They are called "In the Spotlight". It's not related to Hub "groups" though.

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
        Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking of below that?

7. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I'd like to see a category heading above the Hubs. Just so those visiting, can choose where to go rather than scroll the whole page down hmm  I just think it all looks confusing tongue or maybe I am confused lol

100% agree with you. The tricky part is that some of our category names don't make sense out of context of their parent categories. It's on the list, I just haven't had time to sit down and figure that one out yet.

1. Word Pools profile image84
        Word Poolsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really liked the old format with hubs listed under the categories.  I think it would be great if HubPages would automatically suggest categories and we could choose alternate ones if we wanted.

I would also prefer an automatic option under the revolving hubs - so HubPages would switch them around on some randomized basis so I wouldn't have to keep doing it every week.  Again, with a veto feature, so I could choose specific hubs on those days that I have a preference.

I also notice all of my hubs are not listed in the "available" titles when I want to change them, although all of them have yellow dots in the status area. In particular, they are mainly products hubs, which I would like to feature as the holiday season approaches.

I believe the only restriction is that the Hub have an image of sufficient size, as noted in the interface. If you think there are Hubs with sufficiently sized images that qualify but are still not being listed for you, please reply with links to the example Hubs and I'll take a look.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)