Where is everyone & why aren't they writing new hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Mom Kat profile image78
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

Alright, not EVERYONE, but a lot of hubbers (it seems)....

When there are people who have joined 1, 2, 4... years ago and they were "last seen" a few hours ago... yet they haven't written anything for months!  What is going on with that?

I don't understand how someone can go so long without writing any new hubs.  That's what we're here for, right?

Here I am, going through my followers & the people I follow... looking for new hubs to read & hopefully feel inspired enough to comment on, when to my dismay, there aren't any new hubs sad

Sure, I check the topics section and read other hubs from other writers who are more active... I'm just bewildered I guess.

I understand that sometimes we take breaks, get busy with life & don't come on for a while.  Heck it happened to me for nearly 2 years.  But when I was on then & when I came back, I've always been active in writing new material.

So what's up with that?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Speaking for myself, it's because I still see the HubPages community as my online home, but I've lost confidence in it as a place to make real money.

Ever since the first wave of big changes after Panda (back in early 2011), I've focussed my online endeavours on my own websites, not HP.   I've published only seven Hubs since then, and unpublished more than I've published.  But I still can't seem to walk away from the great community here, even though most Hubbers of my 'era' are no longer here.

Mom Katposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good to know, seriously.
        I agree that the community is great. 
        I just love to write so much, and I can't seem to stick to a blog or any other format, so this is where I go to get everything out that is bottled up inside my head that needs to be expressed through writing smile
        .... well, all the stuff that isn't going into my fiction book series.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

I grow vegetables all Summer and tend to write in the Winter more, but honestly, I have to say I have lost all confidence in writing here, constant changes, too many hoops to jump through, traffic dropping after virtually every change HP make (in my case income down by about 75%), new ridiculous rules brought in, e.g. the Zzz one. What used to cover the equivalent of a 20 hr a week part time 'normal' job for me, now equates to what I would earn here in about 12 hours per week in a very average job. I am on HP AD program yes, but since the new layout my Adsense payout (which still used to be monthly) is now only likely to reach payout about once every 6 months.

I won't write here any more, as after four years I can only see this site going downhill, and all the efforts of the staff are apparently not helping even though they claim they are. Any doubts on this? Look at the HP Quantcast Stats, and also ask yourselves why the 'Success Stories' graphs were conveniently removed, (they showed clearly that the success story Hubbers had ongoing and massively dropping traffic). Just seems to me that in my four years of experience this site is seriously in freefall, and to assume anything else is to bury your head in the sand at your own peril.

3. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts and reasons exactly!

I started trying to deal with the new Zzzz thing by deleting and consolidating accounts but even the aged and non-Zzz hubs I have tried to move are now being flagged for strange violations

(an example if you are interested: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/104090)

So I am publishing elsewhere and coming to the forums for a break from writing.

GA

You do know that if you unpublish a Hub, you must wait for it to be fully de-indexed before you publish it on another account?  Otherwise you'll be done for duplicate content.   

The Zzz's don't mean your Hub is instantly de-indexed.

2. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 11 years ago

They're all busy fighting over politics in the forums

aw man sad   that stinks.

3. ITcoach profile image59
    ITcoachposted 11 years ago

Hi Every one,

I think everyone on Hub pages have different purposes to post the hubs. The people who came here so long before cannot be seen today because I suppose that they have gained their purpose to come on the hubpages. Any how the usage of internet and HP is such an addiction that can't be leave without any specific reason.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

They left because they were expected to edit hundreds of hubs with trivial edits that were unnecessary, not because they were bad writers, (I know many who left for this reason). They briefly gained their 'purpose to come on Hubpages' , but they left when the rule changes became ridiculous and ludicrous, (and I am still in contact with many of them, and they still make money, in fact much better money, elsewhere!) They got over any 'addiction' they had to Hubpages, although like myself in many cases they have chosen to leave hubs here but not write more due to logical ageing and backlinking advantages.

where are these other places? I'm always on the look out for ways to add to the income.  I love the community at HP, but I must admit the money part isn't at all the motivating factor. 
        If there was somewhere similar that produced better results, I would be open to trying it out.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

Their own websites and Xobba, Wizzley etc. To be honest having your own websites is the way to go (I have done this and now plan to create more).  Relying on a 'content farm' as a long term prospect is clearly not viable, and after all, why share your Adsense income when you don't have to?

4. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 11 years ago

As for me, I was quite active until Panda or whatever cause took away my traffic. We are retiring soon, so I was looking for a regular task that would provide income and HP did not work out. I searched for other ways to create and ended up writing travelogues and get paid regularly and without fail. I also started making jewelry, and have loved it. I also garden, saving quite a bit on our grocery bill. I felt almost like a traitor to Hubpages, but seems I wasn't missed so much, but I still come to visit weekly. Just recently I noticed an increase in traffic, which was encouraging, but not quite enough to get me to spend my valuable time writing stories that I can get more income from elsewhere. Through it all, I have found the best place to submit my sites to is StumbleUpon. It has brought me the most traffic. Hubs I thought would do really good were not necessarily those that brought in traffic. As for the best performing hubs, beauty, makeup, hair and humor were the winners. I didn't want to write hubs that I was not interested in. I have enjoyed getting to know many hubbers and hearing their stories. Wishing it had worked out better for every one. Aloha!

5. SaraBruce profile image61
    SaraBruceposted 11 years ago

I reckon Facebook has a looot to do with it!!1

6. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I haven't written many hubs partly because I have severe deadlines to deal with as a freelance translator. Also, it takes me about 10 minutes translating to earn what I earn in a month from Hubpages.

I was initially attracted to the idea that although the returns here were low, they were recurring, and this gave me the motivation for my first hubs. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case, because the rules here change so frequently.

Then there is the idle hub policy. Although I have not had any so far, I am not happy that Hubpages reserves the right to censor my hubs at whim by hiding them from search engines.

The associated 24-hour idling of brand new hubs is the very last straw. From what I hear people saying, it seems to have a very negative impact on the chances of a new hub ever being successful.

Like others, I too have started my own web sites and am favouring them when I do get the opportunity to write. I might write a hub now and then, just for fun, but cannot justify hub production as a major time investment unless things change quite radically here.

As for my presence on the forum; I use it when I want a break from work.

7. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 11 years ago

I'm working on paintings and my Art because it is my dream to become a published Author of my own graphic novels and become immersed in my artwork. Also I teach Art offline which has taken up too much time as of late and also trying to create enough YouTube art videos to promote my artistic brand. I don't have time to edit loads of Hubpages and even write new ones at the moment...too much time invested elsewhere I'm afraid! I may return to write the odd Hubpage now and again, but not until my dreams have been realized!

8. brettb profile image62
    brettbposted 11 years ago

I gave up this place in early 2011, I saw the writing on the wall and diverted my attention to building my own sites.

My Hub Google traffic is down 90% in the last couple of days. I don't know if that's just me, or whether HubPages is finished.

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is down by half....so....maybe Google hates Hubpages again....they'll have to Tweet Matt Cutts quick on this.

1. profile image0
        Ethan Greenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

it's not just hubpages, it's a widespread internet massacre. if you google 'googles algorythm change exact match domains' you will find blogs and forums with many people moaning that their personal websites have disappeared overnight...

9. profile image0
    Ethan Greenposted 11 years ago

I only started here a few months ago, and have found it an amazing place to learn about writing. But my learning was mostly done by listening to the advice of people who had been around for years. Now many of their advice is to abandon ship, but loyal as I am, I am just waiting to see what happens whilst putting into action the single best advice I have found about writing online: don't put all your eggs in one basket.

10. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Well, I'm staying.

Maybe its just habit, but I like nothing better than coming online, checking what is happening in the forums, writing hubs and checking on how they are doing, and what they are earning.

I don't write much on this profile anymore, but I have a further 9 subdomains now to keep me busy.

I also have my own websites and Blogger blogs, but they are lonely places, not like here.

This was my life for a couple of years, but I am now a full-time carer for my elderly parents and I cherish every moment I can spend with them, because they won't be here for much longer.

You're right, that's why I'm still here, too!  The difference is that I'm able to enjoy the community without writing Hubs.

2. LucidDreams profile image63
      LucidDreamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Izzym

I just had two blogger blogs deleted via Google. This makes me upset as for a long time now I have preffered to use them as a platform. Spam was the name they called it. Fortunately I backed up these blogs on another website made for this type of emergency.

I am dumb enough I guess to still try a few new things with blogger but understand that with the new platform, we can control things such as robots.txt and so on. I believe I was penalized for duplicate content so a spam blog! This was in part do to archives being indexed.

I am aslo starting some new sites with Wordpress.org to help with seo and maybe they are safer as far as deltion goes.

I feel you have tio have your own sites to write on and promote. A community like Hubpages is all good and I had recently been making a nice score each month. thing is, we cannot contro what happens here.

If you had the exact same content on another website, then that may be part of the reason Google closed down your blogs!  Another possible reason is that if your blog was full of links back to your Hubs (which are all on one site, remember), that would be seen as spam. 

Both those practices - publishing the same content in two places, and creating blogs which are just a bunch of links - are very old advice.  If you want to make money online, I suggest you need to do a bit more research and ensure you're learning from people with a better understanding of SEO post-Panda.

11. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 11 years ago

I have more than 100 hubs written in the past17 months.  I'm not adding new hubs at my former rate because I'm trying to finish a book to self-publish (unless a the publisher fairy shows up at my doorstep!)  My traffic and followers continues to increase and it makes me wonder if reaching the 100 hub milestone creates some kind of critical mass that continues to propel you as a hubber even when you are not as active.  Anybody else have this experience.

As a fulltime writer working from home, I don't know what I'd do without the HP community to keep me company and keep me motivated.

I'm only at 91 hubs right now... but I should be up to 100 pretty soon, so I'm hoping it is some sort of magical tipping point smile

I would really like this to be a source of income for me.  We could use the extra money.  If things keep going at this rate, I'll only reach payout twice a year.  I would really like to see it be a monthly thing.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I used to have a goal of having 100 published hubs, but now I'm fine with where I'm at.  My traffic is doing fine.  My sub domain is a size that I can easily maintain. I've found that most of my more seasoned hubs are the ones that bring in the most traffic. 
    I work full time, have a family, and don't want to be sitting inside working on a computer.  I'll visit the forums now and then and read hubs, etc., but for now I'm not writing any new hubs.  I have a few topics I may write on soon, but am watching how the others continue to perform.

13. Greek One profile image62
    Greek Oneposted 11 years ago

I've moved on to developing websites on my own...

and used Hubpages now for it's original purpose...

meeting open-minded singles who like to party and pay my bills

If I knew more about developing websites I might look into that too, alas I am but a simple writer without all of those other mad skills.

I am really getting anxious for my book to get finished up with the editing process though.  Gosh I hope it does well once I get it out there on the market.

1. Greek One profile image62
        Greek Oneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm no programmer (and not even a writer lol)..

I just used what i picked up here on Hubpages and did a little research...'

Got a domain name for $10.. got some hosting for $100 a year.. asked questions about the techie stuff.. and the rest was fairly easy.. no programming, no mess (Well, not a LOT of mess anyway)

14. nightnight profile image64
    nightnightposted 11 years ago

Hi everyone this forum caught my eye for a number of reasons....

I'm relatively new to Hubpages and I generally quite like it. It has all that I could ask for in terms of a vibrant community, easy ways to publish and interesting articles to read. However, just looking through the forums I can see that a lot of people are taking a pounding from googles constant changes to their algorithms.

From my personal opinion I strongly feel that people wouldn't be as badly affected by these changes if they published on a personal website related to that niche topic that they are publishing about. So I had an idea. Imagine if there were niche websites that you could publish on and earn revenue streams from. Much like a version of Hubpages that was spilt into different websites regarding there topic. So for example if you wanted to publish a Hub about gardening you would go to the specific gardening website and publish there.

The one thing I love about Hubpages is the diversity in topic range that I see from writers. One moment I can be writing about social media and the next I can write about World War 2. If there was a way that people could distribute their articles to specific locations I think everyone would gain more income and have a better experience.

So what am I suggesting? At first I was going to suggest that an individual starts to set up websites related to topics however, this doesn't really work for security reasons and other obvious reasons. So I think that Hubpages should do exactly what I am suggesting and launch a network of sites related to different topics, and then use hubpages as a platform for the writers to communicate with each other, and write there articles.

Any thoughts on this??? (I'm going to post this on the new feature suggestion bit as well)

All the best

When HubPages made the switch to sub-domains last year, many Hubbers suggested that the sub-domains should be set up by topic, not by author.    HubPages rejected that idea at the time, and I don't think they would undo the current structure now.

1. nightnight profile image64
        nightnightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmm I see what your saying. Thanks for the feedback. smile

15. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I published 2 yesterday smile

I am not a long-time member, but I plan to be. I would feel honored to get some comments from experienced Hubbers to help me write better Hubs; I think all of us new users would be. Don't forget about us!

16. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 11 years ago

Hi all, I haven't been here most of the summer because I have been trying to run my own business. The summer months are the most productive for what I do. Hopefully once the snow falls I will be able to spend more time here. Most of this week will be catching up on comments and updating my hubs, so I don't think I will have much time for writing new ones yet. I had planned on being around more often this summer, but my internet was limited with my traveling. This has been a great place for launching ideas, learning to write, and meeting people.  I would love to claim that money has kept me around, but even with the vast array of topics I write about, I don't make enough to live on. If I wanted to walk away...which I did for a year...I couldn't leave forever because of all the interesting topics to read about and the people I have met here.

17. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Here I am , come and "read" me   , my new friend !LOL ,  I have asked myself this same question , I think people are just toooo busy to be [re]  creative !.......sad isn't it !

18. readytoescape profile image59
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

As for me, Hub Pages has lost its luster. Forums that used to be entertaining, witty and filled with camaraderie are now hate fests dominated by Politics, Religion and trolls.

I never expected the HP “come-on” financial reward promises to be a boon and though I’ve made some cash it barely amounts to beer money. HP is however a good platform to be used as an online portfolio of writing styles for my freelance work.

I spend most of my time now working on my novels, the first of which generated more income in a month than my entire stint on HP.

19. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I haven't quite lost complete faith in HP. I still post a Hub now and again, just not as often. It's hard to figure out who's going or doing what tongue lol it's been difficult with all the algo's the big 'G' has been doing but as mentioned above, I still manage to gather followers also and not just on HP but also the social networks. It's a interesting journey and one that shouldn't be judged too harshly wink

20. Mom Kat profile image78
    Mom Katposted 11 years ago

I don't stick to any one certain topic when I write, so I like HP better than having my own personal blog because of this.  Same with having my own website.  I never stick with one topic passionately enough to just stay focused on it.  Not that I couldn't... I just don't want to smile

I've tried other writing sites that allow a range for the writer, but I like the way HP is set up the best.  There is more community involvement & better feedback options.  (in my opinion)

I know I'm never going to get rich here, but I would go crazy if I couldn't write & share my work with others.  It's a much needed outlet for my over-active brain.

Maybe after all of the adjusting and tweeking HP is doing it will end up more lucrative than before... right?  There's always hope.

If you don't want to stick to one subject, then there's no point in maintaining your own website or blog.  Google is strongly favouring "authority sites" these days - i.e., sites about one specific subject.  If you use your blog to reflect on life in general, it's unlikely you'll ever get much traffic. 

That's where revenue-sharing sites like HubPages are ideal for you - but it is a good idea not to put all your eggs in one basket.   You never know when a revenue-sharing site may close down, or be sold to another company, or change its rules to an unacceptable degree.  If all your articles are on one site and something happens to it, you've lost the lot.  If your work is spread across several sites, it's not such a disaster.

Don't think it can't happen.  Excerptz.com was a great site, but it closed down.  Today.com was sold to the Today program, who didn't want any of the articles, just the name - so it closed down.  Helium.com has changed its rules to the point where it's exploiting writers. 

Therefore, by all means write on HubPages but also write on Wizzley, Xobba, Infobarrel, Zujava, Seekyt, Squidoo etc.  And don't forget to hyperlink between articles on the same topic on different sites, as far as you're allowed by each site's rules.

21. Cardisa profile image89
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

As for me, I haven't written anything in two or three weeks due to personal issues and the cold and flu. But as far as people not writing for months could be due to various reasons such as school, 9-5 work life, illness or even death in the family. It doesn't bother me and I always look forward to when they have something new to share. Sometimes the hubs that come once in a while are more inspiring than those that come regularly smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)