Job Opportunity at HubPages

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

I'm not sure what to think of this, but HP is advertising a part-time job (telecommuting is OK).  The job is to find new Hubbers.  Maybe they don't like the old ones?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mar/4327997100.html

It looks like HP is willing to spend a lot of money on AdWords to find new writers rather than spend money on AdWords to find new traffic for the present inventory of Hubs.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest contacting HP to see if this is on the level because I have heard negative things about 'craigslist ads'.

1. Shanna11 profile image73
        Shanna11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You should check out my blog (there are no paid ads on it, so I can post it because it's not promotional, right? I just want to share a story?) and my experiences with Craigslist. Good times..
        http://stupidthingsiwanttodo.blogspot.com/

2. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

New writers will bring in more money long term - it's that simple.

Using adwords to send traffic to hubs would be pretty tricky - they'd have to:

1. get round Google's strict rules on arbitration (using adwords to send traffic to pages containing adsense ads)

2. also get roundGoogle's strict rules on sending adwords traffic to landing pages promoting affiliate products/services (a high % of pages contain amazon and ebay ads)

Assuming HP did somehow get around those two things they would then need to make more money than they spent. With a lot of work they might get a few % return but I don't think the effort would be worth the rewards.

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

HP could best use AdWords to send traffic to Topic pages.  Most websites which purchase AdWords are sending traffic to sites which contain advertising.  It's done every single day and the purpose of AdWords is to send traffic to websites.  It's not 'buying traffic' because there is no guarantee that anyone will click through on an ad.  It's strictly buying advertising.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Part of running a successful web site, or any company, is to hire on people who can provide great experience and expertise to help the company continue to grow, which in turn is helpful to the writers.

I see nothing wrong with this. It is obvious to me that someone left and a position needs to be filled. It is nothing more than that.

Thanks WF, for posting this. I wish I had the qualifications in marketing to apply for the position.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

If they're seriously hiring, they oughta hire somebody to continuously moderate the Q&A section. Most days it's a petri dish of SPAM and stupidity up in there.

Maybe all the new Hubbers will straighten that out.

3. Availiasvision profile image78
    Availiasvisionposted 10 years ago

It's unfortunate that the changes HubPages has implemented have driven away droves of good writers.  It's hard to be a small company in an ever changing industry.  They might get something just perfect, and technology changes.  Every company goes through these transitions.  I still have hope that the glory days aren't over and that there are still wonderful opportunities here.  Quality is always rewarded.

4. profile image58
    BadNewsBensonposted 10 years ago

HubPages' despisal of many long-time members is no big secret.  Here's an analogy: Say you were a rich person and then you became very poor.  You have acquaintances you've known since your days as a rich person, and new acquaintances who've only known you in your impoverished state.  Which group do you harbor resentment toward?  The older group of course.  They see you as someone who's fallen and can't get up, but the new group doesn't have that negative view of you.  That's why HP management sticks its middle finger up at old hubbers and spends all its time trying to win over new comers who have no idea how much this place has gone downhill from its glory days.

Another point: Old-timers here aren't willing to put in all the time and effort to fill their hubs up with 45 original pictures, 3 quizzes, 7 polls and 456800 words---all for a 3 cents per hub per day.  They remember the old days of revenue sharing sites when none of that was necessary to make passive income.  And more importantly, they know they can make more money elsewhere doing far less work, such as on their own blogs. And hell, most of them DO.

But newcomers here are largely ignorant of how to make money online and think all the stellar hub requirements are just par for the course to make money online.  They don't question HP's wisdom on anything.  The think  of this place like a glorified blogger/tumblr set up.

So you can see why old-timers could fall off a cliff for all HP cares.  They are not up to providing the slaver labor necessary to get the site out of Google's gutter.  Old-timers also know that HP got itself into a mess with Google by not cleaning up all the Engrish Indian Auntee crappola.

And for those wondering why I had to post here under a sock puppet, it's because I don't want my stupid score to fall below the threshold to make my links dofollow.   Cus everyone knows they depress your score for any ill words towards the infalliable managment circle. big_smile

1. jimmythejock profile image83
      jimmythejockposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am an old Hubber and what you have just said is spiteful and untrue, The staff at Hubpages have always treated me with respect and went out of their way to help me in anyway that they can in the past, in the present and yes I am positive that this will remain the case in the future.
      To say they despise long-time members is beyond comprehension after all we still make money for ourselves which means that we still help to provide an income for Hubpages.
      The many changes that Hubpages have made over the years have been for the sake of the writer and for the site and although they sometimes get it wrong and are the first to admit that fact. They are fighting for all of us in an ever changing marketplace.
      The simple fact is that without writers Hubpages would not exist and the site would be added to a long list of sites that are not with us anymore.
      Of course Hubpages are trying to attract new blood more writers means more traffic and more earnings.
      The Hubpages team have a difficult enough job trying to stay ahead of the game maybe a new face with fresh ideas is just what the team need to push the site back to the top.
      I have had many ups and downs on the Hubpages Roller Coaster ride and Hubpages have done nothing but support me and help me in the 7 and a bit years I have been writing here.
      If you want to rant about the Hubpages team maybe you should check your facts first before you start throwing around stupid allegations about how they treat and feel about the people who helped to get Hubpages into the top 100 ranked websites before Google took a hissy fit.

1. Barbara Kay profile image75
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've seen ads for Hubpages in the past at Craigs List. I bet the ad is by someone that wants writers to join using their referral link.

I agree that Hubpages has treated me well. Google is another story. I hate the ups and downs they cause, but they do it with my websites too.

1. jimmythejock profile image83
          jimmythejockposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Writer Fox profile image32

I think it really is an authentic HP ad and there is no referral link.  (They are offering a salary.)  It looks like some of the job descriptions are things that Simone used to do and she wasn't replaced when she left. But it does seem odd that HP doesn't want us to put referral links on our Hubs but it does want new Hubbers.

Also, some of the ads HP used to run looking for new Hubbers advertised the site as a place to write a blog, which it isn't at all!  If HP wants more writers who are capable of boosting HP income, it needs to target experienced writers and disclose income potential for writing here. If not, then HP will just get more new Hubbers who write unfeatured Hubs (about 2/3 of published Hubs are unfeatured right now.)

I didn't anticipate this turning in to a negative thread (not talking about your post).  Many people are feeling disenfranchised because they are not seeing the traffic/income numbers they want to see and it is true that the staff rarely comments on how to improve those statistics.  And Hub Scores – which are now supposed to reflect the quality of the Hub – do not reflect traffic and income either.  Traffic and income for my Hubs is not related at all to Hub/QAP Score.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

+1 and UP

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image87
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

4. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unlike Jimmy, I'm not an "old" Hubber (just a slip of a lad) but have also been here a fairly long period of time. (Sorry, Jimmy! - couldn't resist picking you up on that wink ) I agree with everything else Jimmy says and would confirm that I could not personally have asked for any more from the entire Hub Pages team in my six and a half years as a contributor to the site. I look forward to that support continuing for a great many more years to come as HP recovers from the events of what is now yesteryear and staff and contributors together move onwards and upwards to hopefully scale new heights of  success.

@BadNewsBenson - you may not be aware that posting on the forums under a "sock puppet" as you choose to call it ID used to be/(is?) against Hub Pages T's and C's. I presume that is still the case and that HP staff will probably be able to refer to your IP address should they ever have cause to pursue a particular matter...

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

I admire you and Jimmy, Gordon for your loyalty to HubPages. I am right there with you on that and have faith in HubPages.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is simply your own perspective, and so untrue.  Perhaps remember those glory days included many writers spamming, keyword stuffing, using questionable linking strategies, writing nothing but, 'buy this here' hubs with no experience at all with the product.  Google forced a change for online content writers. There are plenty of very good old, new/newer writers on HP who may never have the views that Google used to give HP, but the quality of the site has vastly improved.  I find quality hubs daily on my feed.  I'm impressed with a lot of the writing I find here. HP is still one of the top sites to write on for those who want their content on a revenue sharing site.  I just wish I had more time to write.

I agree with you, rebekahELLE.

There are a lot of good writers here who produce quality and work with HP, not against them. HP is always striving for growth and quality and hiring a person who can boost marketing will help us all.

3. EGamboa profile image72
      EGamboaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Despisal. hee hee

5. Availiasvision profile image78
    Availiasvisionposted 10 years ago

RebekahElle,

I agree that the quality of the site has vastly improved and am very pleased with the quality assessment changes HubPages has implemented.  I am also impressed by the quality of writers here.  I am here to stay, no matter the cost.

6. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Does it come with dental?

yes

7. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

I joined HP after coming across an ad for new writers when I was looking for part-time work in my field (mental health). I personally think I joined at a good time, about 1-1/2 years ago, at the height of the transition. I do admit that I've gone through a stressful learning curve, even got mad at Google and HP for some of the ups and downs. But I will say that it's all been worth it for me personally.
    Regarding the timing of the ads, I don't think it's ONLY about disgruntled hubbers leaving or Google hits. I think they probably advertise for new writers all the time, or at least periodically.

8. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

A completely worthless discussion full of paranoia, ill-feeling and stupidity.

About as unprofessional as you could find anywhere online.

I'm really starting to resent needing to monitor this forum for info that might be relevant to my accounts.

9. HollieT profile image79
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

It might seem like I'm trying to de-rail this thread, but I assure you I'm not. HP has some great writers here, they've been around for years but are not active, even though they may still have a number of hubs here, because they are banned from the forums and much of the community.

There have been several times in the past where I've gleaned inspiration for a hub from the discussions in the forum. Those days appear to be gone.

I can well understand why HP wants to attract new writers, it makes good business sense and it's a great idea. However, they also have a wealth of talent that is permanently banned, therefore ostracized from the community as a whole. Why then, would they contribute more of their time and effort writing new hubs?

I really think that it's time for HP to review the banned policy. Though I see the sense in banning hubbers who write two hubs and then spend the day causing trouble in the political forums, I do not see the sense in banning 'colorful' characters who speak their mind, but produce great hubs and attract readers. 

The talent is already here, imho.

10. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

We always care about Hubbers new and old.  Always fun to see Jimmythejock.  I still remember his first day on the site cracking jokes.  That was many years ago!  The ecosystem has changed so much in the last few years, we've done our best to adjust and find a path forward.

We are feeling good that while there is still volatility in the ecosystem, that we are seeing trends of where high quality Hubbers (writing before Panda on HP) are hitting new highs in traffic and when Google updates we are seeing a lot less sites swing. 

This is an official job post.  This isn't a new position, but it's a piece of the HubPages marketing plan.  We are freeing up a bit of Christy's time for some new stuff! You'll hear about this soon.

This job is a really good opportunity for someone with a math/quantitative background that recently graduated from college or has a couple years of experience.

1. profile image0
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just keep on truckin', Mr. E! #hatersgonnahate

P.S.  Just to clarify, though: The job does come with dental, right? wink

2. Shanna11 profile image73
      Shanna11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I still have a year of school left (and I have quantitative experience with large data sets and data software and math experience from econ!) otherwise I would totally apply.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I saw the word "math" in Paul's post and tore up my application.

1. Greekgeek profile image77
          Greekgeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Likewise. smile

(I'm pretty good with Excel! Does that count?)

A: NOOooooooo.

1. profile image0

I can use an adding machine, but I'm better with a copy machine.

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92

Awesome, Paul. Thanks for your post and encouragement.

11. Cre8tor profile image91
    Cre8torposted 10 years ago

Well I suppose I always feel a bit over my head on these types of forum threads because I don't always understand the "deeper scope" of algorithms and how Google screwed everyone but I do know this...

HP, or representative thereof, has always been there for me when I needed them. I don't have any trouble receiving what I've earned, as seems to be the case with other sites at times, and if they feel they need to hire then I trust it's with good reason. As long as they aren't asking me to leave or take a pay cut, I'm good. As a business owner my self, I can't imagine undermining the people that work for me and make me successful just to hire some part time help. I will choose to believe that HP is doing the best they can to keep the site quality and it's writers happy to stay.

(I do agree though WF, I didn't like seeing the word 'blog' in the job posts I saw.)

12. Barbara Kay profile image75
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I finally read the job post. Those are good benefits for a part- time position.

13. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

It was fun to see where y'all work though. Are you above the bicycle shop? It looked like a pretty area. Looks like you are right off the bay, course everything is kinda right off the bay in SF. Can you smell the ocean? I was born not too far from there in San Jose. Surely you'll want to make note of that for future use. smile

cool   I love the Bay Area. I spent many years in San Jose, raised my kids there and worked in many great places. Wish I had the qualifications to apply for the HP position. I love SF !

1. profile image0

I lived there from '68-'73. When did you live there?

From '62 to '96.  I moved to Washington for 7 years then returned to San Jose in '92.

2. NateB11 profile image86
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was born in the Bay Area too, still have a lot of family there, I spent considerable time there. I'd love to work there, particularly San Francisco, one of my favorite places and would definitely prefer it to where I live now. I don't qualify for that position either. Would love to live and work in SF though.

1. profile image0

How would you like to work at a bicycle shop?

1. NateB11 profile image86
          NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'd be alright with that I think.

14. spartucusjones profile image91
    spartucusjonesposted 10 years ago

Gosh dang it, parts unknown is nowhere near SF! Probably just as well, the suits at HP would probably want me to lose the luchador mask and $5 poncho! No corporate selling out for me, I'm to punk rock for that. That being said the dental would be nice...

15. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

They probably put blog in the ad to make it easier for outsiders to understand. I hope they have luck in their search.

16. Muttface profile image79
    Muttfaceposted 10 years ago

I use my finger machine for adding sums and the like. I can read without moving my lips and I know some hilarious water cooler jokes. Since I am still have my milk teeth, I shall not be needing the dental.
    You won't regret this Paul.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)