sit ups to have perfect abs, possible?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)
  1. absperfection profile image39
    absperfectionposted 11 years ago

do you believe that sit ups alone can get you to have perfect abs?

1. carol7777 profile image76
      carol7777posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have heard  that stretches and aerobic exercise will improve the abs and maybe sit ups are not the best way.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Only an idiot would believe that.

It requires a bit more work than just sit ups. wink

3. CyclingFitness profile image88
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

Why on earth would someone with the name abs perfection ask such an uneducated question if that's your background? You should be telling us the answers

1. tussin profile image59
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, he did ask "do you believe..." so maybe he's just taking a census of people's beliefs about exercise. As everyone knows, the secret to rock hard abs is uncontrollable coughing and sneezing fits.

4. susiebrown48 profile image66
    susiebrown48posted 11 years ago

I've read so very many articles on this subject, some claiming "Yes" and some claiming "No".  I believe there is conclusive proof that sit-ups do sculpt rectus abdominus muscle or the 6 pack people refer to.  Variations can help sculpt the obliques but I do not believe that they help the transverse muscles.  Having said all that, diet and exercise are necessary to burn the fat that may or may not be covering all the aforementioned muscles.

5. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

This post does not make sense, so I am ignoring your question and your pen name.  Even your avatar does nothing on the subject of abs because most of the photograph shows a man's chest.  You need to get your subject straight, because nothing displayed here has convinced me that you are an "expert" on abs.

6. profile image0
    i4uposted 11 years ago

The question sounds funny with such a pen name that you already have.
    Still this being a question, I should say sit ups in different mannerisms do help in getting perfect abs. The lower labs are difficult with just sit ups but the upper 4 ones are good with sit ups.

7. JakeFrost profile image60
    JakeFrostposted 11 years ago

Just sit-ups wont give you very good abs... You might get a six pack but the muscle wont be very spread out. The stomach has many muscles and all need to be worked on evenly. For example sit-ups wont do very much for the obliques

8. susiebrown48 profile image66
    susiebrown48posted 11 years ago

After reading so many ill-mannered replies, I'd like to suggest that absperfection, who very well may be an expert on abs, may have posted the question to see what the average reader's beliefs are with regard to sit up's efficacy for chiseling abs.

1. JakeFrost profile image60
      JakeFrostposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I read the question I didn't think he was asking for himself. More just conducted a general survey of what people think.

9. AnniesHealthTalk profile image73
    AnniesHealthTalkposted 11 years ago

No, situps alone won't get you perfect abs. You have to do a variety of ab exercises as well as cardio exercise to lower your body fat percentage enough that your abs show up. Someone could do ab exercises for months and months, but they won't get results unless their body fat percentage is low enough for those muscles to show.

10. GiblinGirl profile image72
    GiblinGirlposted 11 years ago

I think it depends on how often you do them and how intensely you focus on doing them the right way.  You can do a hundred sit-ups a day but if you're not doing them the right way, you won't get any benefit.  I prefer planks to sit-ups.  I find I feel the burn a lot more and I don't get the neck or back pain that comes with trying to do sit-ups.

11. profile image0
    andycoolposted 11 years ago

Sit ups are capable of making abs perfect, if supported by balanced and healthy diet and some other complementary exercises. Daily dose of sit ups and dips with some yoga can make your life beautiful.

12. jcales profile image54
    jcalesposted 11 years ago

You need to do a variety of exercises to get great abs and ones that don't just focus on abs

13. SteveWaugh1965 profile image60
    SteveWaugh1965posted 11 years ago

situps alone will NOT give you defined abs. You need to strip away the layer of fat that sits over the top of most peoples abs. Once you strip away that fat (through diet), you then expose the muscle (abs) underneath - so its at this point where it counts the most to do exercises (e.g. situps) to tone and work the stomach muscles.

14. zulumuscle profile image60
    zulumuscleposted 11 years ago

When I was a teenager I got ripped abs by just doing sit ups, lots of them but then again I was skinny so it was easier to have visible abs once they were developed by the sit ups. And I was active so that counted for doing cardio. Most people will not get ripped abs from just doing sit ups, especially if they are not very active and have a lot of stomach fat to begin with. Most people would need to eat clean, do some form of cardio they enjoy (so they can stick with it), and train abs with a variety of abs exercises that target the lower abs , obliques and upper abs if they are serious about getting ripped. Also its easier to get abs if that not your only goal and you also work out your other body parts so that you have a complete physique. You will find that lifting heavy weight involves you core and that your abs get trained indirectly ( lifting weights helps with getting thick abs).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)