Obama Care and it's Effects

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. peoplepower73 profile image89
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

I have been retired for five years and since Obama Care has been in effect, I have realized significant changes in my medicare plan.  My out of pocket drug costs are much lower now. The donut hole is closing and will be closed in 2014.  (That's the amount insurance pays up to limit and then you pay up to another limit and then the insurance kicks in again.)  I have no copay for office visits.  I get a free comprehensive physical each year, and my out of pocket hospitalization costs have gone from $6,700 for 2012 to $3,400. for 2013.

Have you noticed any changes in your health care plan either negative or positive since Obama Care has been in effect?

peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's a typo in the title. It should be "its" instead of  (it's).  If there are any grammarians out there, please forgive me. I really do know better.

1. JayeWisdom profile image90
        JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We know you do.  When typing fast, it's easy to hit the wrong key(s).  Happens to all of us.

2. phion profile image60
      phionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So Obamacare...
      Makes your out of pocket drug costs lower?
      Gets rid of copays?
      Lowers your hospitalization costs by 1/2?

You may be the first documented beneficiary of the Affordable Healthcare Act. The only people I have heard that have been affected by Obamacare, are those in the medical field, and they have all had horror stories. The real pain, regulations, and taxes hidden inside the over 17 thousand page document hopefully won’t have a chance to go into effect.

I hope 17 thousand is a typo.  It's more like 2,000 and that's because it contains legislation.  It's not just a plan it is law.  If you are interested, here is my link to Paul Ryan's Health Care Reform Plan. http://peoplepower73.hubpages.com/hub/P … d-the-Myth

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Peoplepower73:  I have written several articles about the cost of health care and the health care wars in general that give links to whitehouse.gov where people can read for themselves what a great thing the AHCA truly is.  Those who are complaining about not being able to afford health care should think about what it will cost them if they get really sick and don't have coverage, and they should also get real about wanting the rest of us to continue paying for the care they now  get at ERs.  Fair is  fair.

As a senior, I get all of the same good things that you described, but I also pay for a supplement, which, while seemingly costly, has saved our family more than $100,000 in the past year and a half.

Romney wants to get rid of this program, and if he wins the election and succeeds in undoing the AHCA, he will  be doing irreparable damage to millions of Americans.

Any citizen who understands this program and still votes for Romney and his plan to get rid of it ought to really think about what will happen if Romney succeeds.  I've been following your comments on this subject for some time and am glad you keep bringing it up in forums, etc.

Thanks TimeTraveler2:  It's good to see that many of those who are posting are receiving the benefits of Obama Care.  Here is the essence of Paul Ryan's plan.  I'm posting this for everyone's benefit, not just yours.

The plan proposes a $2,300. tax credit for individual filers and $5,700 for joint filers per year. Here is how it would work: At the beginning of a year or at the end of the year, you would file for a refund on your tax return for the eligible amount. The payment is made directly to the health plan you have chosen that best suits your needs. If you don't spend all the money on your health care, you get to keep the difference. If your health care costs are higher than the eligible amount, then it is up to you to make up the difference.

It should be noted, this plan does not apply to those already on medicare or in the military.

2. JayeWisdom profile image90

TimeTraveler2:  Per your statement, "Romney wants to get rid of this program, and if he wins the election and succeeds in undoing the AHCA, he will  be doing irreparable damage to millions of Americans."  ...

I hope those millions of Americans you referred to have enough sense to vote AGAINST Romney on November 6.  Those who are gulled into believing that Romney wants to help them will be appalled if he is elected when they realize nothing was in the GOP agenda to help them!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

JayeWisdom:  Amen to that.  I just don't understand how people could look at such an important issue and treat it so casually.  God help all of us if Romney gets in and actually follows through with his plans.

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I dont have medicare yet, but my individual premiums have dropped. I am still paying deductibles and co-pays(what a scam) so health insurance on a whole is still expensive.
    I'm glad Medicare is getting cheaper so I have something to look forward to. wink

3. profile image0
    SassySue1963posted 11 years ago

I can't afford the monthly payout for health insurance. My employer is a very small business so does not provide it and will not be required to provide it (under the employee limit). So that hasn't changed any from before Obamacare.
    I make too much for the 100% poverty level thingy which is only $13,000 for an individual. Nothing's changed yet but I am so looking forward to 2014 when I get to pay a tax for not purchasing what I can't afford though!!! That will be awesome!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Won't it still be less than if you have a catastrophic illness or injury?

1. profile image0
        SassySue1963posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@uninvited writer So, what should I cut out to afford it? Food? Perhaps I should go homeless? Or maybe I can go naked to work? I do not have any money left at the end of my month. And now, I'll have even less because they'll be taking a chunk at the end of the year.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As has been stated, if people can't afford it they will still be covered.

1. profile image0

@UW That is a lie. Even if all the states expand the Medicaid rolls (which they are currently fighting) that only covers an individual income up to $13,000 and a family income up to $28,000. You are considered under the law to be able to afford up to 8% of your income for insurance. And they are going to take those year end tax breaks (they call them federal subsidies) and count them against you. It is really simple math. They expect these people to shell out monthly money and then they will pay them back at the end of the year. Again I ask, what should all these people stop paying in order to make that monthly payment?

2. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had a talk similar to this with my accountant last week. He said that even the low cost insurance plans will not be free. If you can afford one, Sassy, you will still have co-pays and deductibles. Many will go without.

One interesting thing, Sassy. He also told me the IRS will not enforce the tax - so just don't pay it. Pay the rest of your taxes and skip that one. It should be criminal for Obama to force you to pay a penalty for something you can't afford - and then take your money and use it to subsidize someone else's care.

3. peoplepower73 profile image89

Sassy Sue and Howard: The law states:  "If you can't afford the insurance,  You will be eligible for an exemption."  It bears looking into.

Individual Responsibility Law (Individual Mandate)
      This law is better known as the individual mandate. This is the law that was under Supreme Court deliberation. Since it was up held by the Supreme Court, the law will be effective 1/1/2014. Under this law, most individuals who can afford it, will be required to obtain basic health insurance coverage or pay a tax to help offset the costs of caring for uninsured Americans. If affordable coverage is not available to an individual, he or she will be eligible for an exemption. This law will affect 1% of the population.

1. profile image0

@peoplepower Here is the part you refer to:

"The mandate’s exemptions cover a variety of people, including: members of certain religious groups and Native American tribes; undocumented immigrants (who are not eligible for health insurance subsidies under the law); incarcerated individuals; people whose incomes are so low they don’t have to file taxes (currently $9,500 for individuals and $19,000 for married couples); and people for whom health insurance is considered unaffordable (where insurance premiums after employer contributions and federal subsidies exceed 8% of family income)."

Now, here is the problem. Those "federal subsidies" are year end tax breaks. They do not help you pay the month to month cost of insurance. So in reality, they will not help anyone on the edge. That is just fact.

Example:
        income: 15,000 per year
        Now, 8% of that income equals $1200.  How exactly do you expect someone making $1250 a month to now add in another $100 a month for health insurance? That is what they are saying. That someone currently living off of $1250 a month can afford to add another $100 a month expenses.

SassySue: After the first of the year, they may change the limits.  Look at how much  they have reduced medicare costs.  I hope it works out for you.

4. movingout profile image61
    movingoutposted 11 years ago

I have better benefits and the cost went down. What scares me is Romney's existing condition clause. He said if already on a policy you can't be dumped. But after 3 months if you need private insurance, he stands behind Insurors saying no to existing conditions.

5. JayeWisdom profile image90
    JayeWisdomposted 11 years ago

I've personally noticed less out-of-pocket payments (I have a Medicare Advantage plan), plus more free preventive and wellness benefits.  As for other people who have no insurance at all and cannot afford it due to chronic "pre-existing" conditions, I think the Affordable Healthcare Act provides a safety net for these people.  My young adult granddaughter was diagnosed with Diabetes I at the age of 23, and she's been in the hospital numerous times. She had to drop out of college and take a lower-paying job with no benefits. She works hard, but desperately needs an insurance plan that will allow her to regularly see an endocrinologist, which she cannot afford now. I wanted a single payer plan--a national health insurance such as other countries have, but knew the insurance industry lobby and Republicans would never allow that.

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

So great to see real people noticing real benefits under phase 1 of Obamacare.
    Wellness and preventive care are big parts of the plan -- factored into the cost savings.

In our house, I am overjoyed to announce I was FINALLY able to get my husand health insurance. Our state (CA) already had a state insurance pool for people who fell through the cracks (not qualified for Medi-Cal, not covered by employer, etc.).
    But... directly because of OBAMA's preexisting conditions work (I shudder to think about Romney's definition) we now have PCIP, a state pool specifically for those who have preexisting conditions.
    The benefits seem pretty decent. No lifetime maximum.
    Premiums for someone hubby's age are way lower than I've seen in the private market -- although this plan is administered by a private health care insurer.

It feels sooooooo great not to worry about going bankrupt if he should have to be hospitalized for any reason.

Can't wait for the full monty version of Obamacare to kick in in 2014.
    MM

1. movingout profile image61
      movingoutposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mighty Mom, glad to hear you have healthcare! I'm waiting for my state to impliment as well, I won't hold my breath though! These politicians against obamacare forget, we the taxpayers supply them with healthcare! Who are they to judge who receives and doesnt? And then Romney saying we need to take responsibility and purchase private! He and those who agree with him have no earthly idea how much that costs! And then have preexisting conditions and Romney's plan (whatever it is) says no to those people!

1. JayeWisdom profile image90

People like Romney born with the proverbial "silver spoon in their mouths" haven't a clue how real people (meaning the NOT super-wealthy) live or the struggles many must go through for basics such as healthcare.

2. JayeWisdom profile image90

I'm glad to hear that you and your husband now are beneficiaries of this healthcare plan, mightymom.  It's scary not to have healthcare benefits, and the older one becomes (or the sicker, whichever comes first), the scarier it is.

7. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

The two changes I've noticed so far are that
    1. My incredibly expnsive self-paid insurance had to knock $30 off the monthly fee
    2. They sent me a refund check for a few hundred dollars. smile

i think they've also had to remove the lifetime cap on the amount they'll pay based on the new law.

8. profile image0
    Keaten Foxposted 11 years ago

Great point, movingout! Romney and his "bracket" of citizens don't have any clue! Boy, would I love to strip them and send them into some of the worst parts of America, just so they could see what they have created in their lust for money and power. Such a shame our beautiful country has become this. What happened to equal opportunity? Or did we give that up for security, too?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)