Five Myths about the Poor

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

Three are a mass of people out there that believe all sorts of fairy tales about the poor. This article explodes those myths.

You hear all these myths all the time - everybody can be rich. If you're poor, it's your fault. Get a job. Of course, it's the response of those that are ignorant and who have been so brainwashed by these myths that they can never believe anything else.

This is an excellent article who would like more information to counter those that are myth believing!

http://truth-out.org/news/item/12264-li … e-the-poor

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I read this earlier and thought about sharing.  Glad you did!

2. GNelson profile image61
      GNelsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I see the homeless in the park everyday.  Sometimes they are in a car and sometimes they are on a bench.  I see whole families.  Many still work.  Those who will talk all tell a different story.  It is not a simple problem, it is not a new problem, and to begin to understand what is going on you have to talk to those who are living poor.

3. Mandrake_1975 profile image86
      Mandrake_1975posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I only question what "Plutocracy" has to do with wealth and poverty?  Plutacracy assumes that monetary wealth is REAL, which it is not - it is manmade.  When I look at it from that perspective (that money is a manmade concept) I have to wonder why we bicker about economic philosophy and not the "root"?  But then again, I have more anarcho-primitivist leanings than most are willing to accept may be the problems with the world.

2. profile image0
    RobSchneiderposted 11 years ago

What a brilliant article! Thanks for sharing it. How could it be otherwise? Almost by definition, capitalism depends on impoverishing workers in order to make a profit. As long as those workers live in or are imported from distant countries and can be considered racially inferior, it's not a problem - in fact, you can even blame them for "taking jobs from American workers." When a minority of Caucasians join the ranks of the poor, a myth is created that they are stupid and lazy - "white trash" or "trailer trash." When the children of middle class white American parents can't find work even though they've done everything "right" (sent them to college, etc.), maybe things will change, but I doubt it. The government will just stop trying to justify the system and keep it going by force. Although I'm an outsider now and can't speak from observation, that seems to be the direction the country's headed in now.

1. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Almost by definition, capitalism depends on impoverishing workers in order to make a profit."

Excellent analysis!  The system requires a small percentage to own the majority of the wealth, which is then supposed to "trickle down" to the rest of us.  Capitalism has massive inequality built into it's very essence.

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Capitalism is a system based on unequal exchange...

http://capitalismandyou.blogspot.com/20 … s-way.html

3. crazyhorsesghost profile image71
    crazyhorsesghostposted 11 years ago

Great points everyone. I work with the poor everyday and I see all kinds of myths. People don't realize that  there are many more  hungry and homeless people here in the United States than people care to admit. I saw hundreds of people line up this evening to eat  as they always do at the last of the month. In five states tonite we fed 16,663 people and did not turn anyone away. Next week the numbers will drop but people will be standing there in line waiting and needing to eat.

4. Tealparadise profile image85
    Tealparadiseposted 11 years ago

I know the jobless benefits require one to prove they are actively looking for work, but what about food stamps for those who already have a job?  I wonder what kind of hoops you must jump through for that.

1. profile image0

Generally if you're earning, you get less money proportionally. So, if you're earning $1000 a month, you will get about $26 for food. Obviously they don't ask you to look for a job.

Incidentally, with so many people out of work now, and with the about half the population earning basic wage at this point, nobody is being asked to look for work anymore. Somewhere at the top, it's finally being realized that there aren't that many jobs and/ even the ones earning slave labor wages are hard to find.

5. kathleenkat profile image83
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

Thank you for sharing this. It is a very interesting read, especially to highlight those who can only find part-time work, at low-paying retail jobs.

I am interested if someone has written a similar article about the rich. I am sure there are an equal amount of misconceptions about them, as well.

edit: Actually I think this article may do a good job brushing up on the rich: http://themanwithnopants.hubpages.com/h … eople-Suck  just skip the first section about Obama.

1. profile image0

I would hardly put that hub in the same class as the link I posted. It's badly written and is nothing more than one person's emotional experience. There is no deductive reasoning or cause and effect. Apart from that, I grew up in a pretty well off environment, privately educated, with full time servants at home, etc. I also dated very, very rich man. I do understand the rich... smile

Power and wealth go together. Wealth is accumulated as a result of certain personality type.

Here it is...

http://www.cracked.com/article_18777_5- … -suck.html

1. profile image0
        RobSchneiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, if "Do Rich People Suck" is the best rebuttal anyone can come up with, you're on pretty solid ground, Sophia. It did have some amusement value, but otherwise, what a pompous idiot. I know it is "bad manners" to say that and the author said, "I crush people with bad manners like a roach", but that absurd statement shows bad manners, too, so I reckon we're even.

1. kathleenkat profile image83
          kathleenkatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I don't have anything better to post. I, of course, was the original inquirer on whether there was such an article.

I just happened to read that, and thought it would be good to post here. I, too, come from a wealthy family Sophia. No man-servants or anything, my parents were rather frugal with their money and spent it more on fun things like vacations, and my dad took up flight school once (had to drop it due to finances). I was taught to work for my money; never got allowance, always had to do a chore or two. Dad encouraged me to get a job when I was old enough to work, and I am forever thankful for that, because I didn't need to go into any debt for college. Hey, I'm going off on a tangent, but we are all different, Sophia. There are very likely kind wealthy people, too. I would guess Bill Gates may be one of them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)