How do you feel about Disney owning the rights to Star Wars?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 11 years ago

It's been made official that Disney owns the rights to Lucasfilms for over a cool 4 billion dollars.  Lucas is being kept on as a consultant, but I do know in various interviews he claims he's retiring, and more than likely work on independent films if he does make movies.

Personally, I think this is a win win for both sides.  George has obviously lost his creativity as a filmmaker over the years, and maybe focusing more indie movies might bring him back to his roots. 

As for Star Wars, lets be honest.  George was ruining that franchise, as he was even talking about replacing the damn puppet yoda from "Empire Strikes Back" with CGI.  Damn you lucas.  Damn you.  Anyway, the point is that Star Wars needs fresh creative blood, and with Disney at the helm, we might just get it.  Who knows?  Can you imagine if Joss Whedon or Peter Jackson got to direct a new star wars movie?  now that would be freaking awesome.  Or how about J.J. Abrams?  we saw what he did with Star Trek, so can you imagine what he'd do with Star Wars?  the possibilities are endless here, as Disney has already assured audiences that they will further the story with Star wars in 2015 with a sequel to the franchise; continuing from "Return of the Jedi."

In the end, I think this is a win win for both parties, and I think it's great.  many of you may not like the idea of Disney owning Star Wars, but I trust them over Lucas at this point with it.

1. RichieMogwai profile image60
      RichieMogwaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, the news made the cover of various newspapers today. I was kind of surprised, but I thought it was a good deal for both parties. You're right, Lucas has indeed been losing his creative streak over the years, so the controversial part of the deal is, who will direct the offshoots from the prequels and the last three episodes. But then I realized, Disney can always get those who directed the Starwars not directed by George.  I can't remember them at the top of my head, but that would be a comfort for me, at least.

2. lorddraven2000 profile image91
      lorddraven2000posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am mixed on this one. I think with the financial backing the new films may be awesoem but at the same time I think Disney will cheapen the movies with it's usual crap.

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

I felt a tremor in the Force.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. thylogale profile image60
    thylogaleposted 11 years ago

I have to confess that I'm a purist when it comes to Star Wars. The original was great just as it was, without the CGI, dancing lip monsters or extra special effects. It's the story of SW that's so powerful, not the lens flares.

I'm wary about what Disney is going to produce, but it is cool that a whole new generation will get to experience Star Wars (and the merchandise, which has always been brilliant).

4. warchild75 profile image62
    warchild75posted 11 years ago

Yes this is certainly a good move, fresh blood to the series can only do it good and although Lucas was one of the best directors of his time, there are so many more great and young directors out there that this can only be good for star wars and its fans smile

5. profile image0
    Peelander Gallyposted 11 years ago

Disney hasn't done much of anything original in the last decade, so I'm not surprised that they've chosen to take on an enormously popular and well-established franchise and finagle it into a new package. They've been clinging to life with an IV bag full of Pixar ideas and Johnny Depp, and that's definitely run its course. The original Star Wars trilogy is where it ended for me and a lot of other people, and I bet they're going to put each of those movies back into theatres, in 3D.

6. A Troubled Man profile image58
    A Troubled Manposted 11 years ago

It appears the first movie due out in 2015 is set some five years after "Return of the Jedi", however I would much prefer they go back in time hundreds of years to the Old Republic when Jedi's were just beginning to take their role in it, when Yoda was a young reptile. wink

1. Drive By Quipper profile image57
      Drive By Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What do you know? You can be nice when you put your mind to it.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
        A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Try learning something from that.

1. profile image51
          Zxoaicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Try to put your own advice to effect, Troub.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
            A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It looks like your other sock puppet has already been banned.

1. profile image51
              Zxoaicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The green one is still unwashed and blathering away.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7354243_f248.jpg

2. Drive By Quipper profile image57
          Drive By Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It didn't last long, did it?

7. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

Hmmm. I heard that Disney was going to re-do the original Star Wars Movies starting with part 4, which would be Star Wars, Empire, and Return of the Jedi. What could there possibly be after the fall of the Empire? And, who would want to see a movie like that?

My main worry is that it will be another "lets bring in a younger cast", like a Luke Sky Walker the same age as the kid who played Aniken in Phantom Menace. As most Disney films are filled with pre-teens. But, if we are lucky, we will be treated to a more Avatar-like star wars, without the cutesy crap.

People complain that the newer Star Wars movies like "Attack of the Clones" were not high tech enough, even though I thought all three movies had awesome special effects and some really good actors, but I stress some...not all. I am kind of skeptical about what Disney will do with it, without wanting to turn it into yet another merchandise machine....with Star Wars The Experience, at the Disney Parks. Maybe a "Be a Jedi for a day attraction.

1. KK Trainor profile image60
      KK Trainorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think they are contemplating remaking anything. They are talking about starting with Episode VII, which continues the story after Return of the Jedi. I can't wait to see what they do with it, I'm a huge Disney and Star Wars fan!

2. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

As far as I know, Disney hasn't announced any official plans to remake the original trilogy, so more than likely I wouldn't buy into the rumors floating around out there.  However, Disney has confirmed they were going to release a new Star Wars film in 2015; which is actually episode 7, where it takes place after Return of the Jedi, as KK was referring to.

As for the new movie, everything I've been researching shows that Disney plans to make the upcoming Star Wars movie an original story, so it won't be based on any existing expanded Star Wars universe novels like the "Thrawn trilogy."  But then again, they could easily be lying to throw everyone off, but we'll have to wait and see. 

As for the merchandising Star Wars, you are aware Lucas was already doing that way before Disney bought Lucasfilms, so why should we expect Disney to do anything different?  Heck, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that once Disney manages to gain the distribution rights, for Indiana Jones, away from paramount that they'll start to merchandise the crap out of that franchise too. 

My biggest fear is that I just hope Disney allows Lucasfilms to retain it's own identity like they did with Marvel Studios.  I know people will say there's nothing to worry about because of how Disney has treated Marvel.  However, there's a key difference though.  Even though Disney may own Marvel Studios and it's distribution rights over all their future films, they still allowed Marvel to operate inside the same studio facilities as they did when Paramount still owned the distribution rights; hence making Disney more of a silent partner that merely distributes the films.

Whereas lucasfilms, it seems like not only are all of the production moving into the Disney film studios, but there's no official word on who's still going to be employed by lucasfilms though.  I mean since they're going to operate lucasfilm in disney instead of it's old studio, then does that mean disney will merely take the name recognition only and have their own people handle star wars?  If the latter is the case, then i'd be worried because we all know how Disney hasn't been too successful with too many live action film franchises in recent years.  Sure, there's "Pirates of the Caribbean",  but there isn't too many of them.  That's why I hope Disney will be smart, and allow Lucasfilms to operate as their own entity like they did with Marvel, or this could lead to some problems.  hmm

However, i guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.  I just hope Disney releases the original theatrical untouched original trilogy on dvd and blue-ray, and possibly an anime series based on the star wars universe.  I mean if you stop to think about it, anime seems like a perfect fit to tell a star wars story.  heck, i'd watch it.  big_smile

Also, the next Kingdom Hearts game should have like a Indiana Jones and Star Wars level, as that would be so freaking cool.  lol

8. TheDailyMessenger profile image60
    TheDailyMessengerposted 11 years ago

it will be vquite an experiance

9. TheDailyMessenger profile image60
    TheDailyMessengerposted 11 years ago

it will be quite an experience

10. JKenny profile image91
    JKennyposted 11 years ago

Personally I'm glad that Star Wars is out of Lucas' hands, because he totally ruined what had the potential to be one of the greatest stories ever told. I'm not happy that Disney are intending to make more films, Star Wars needs to be put to bed, I think. The three prequels and all the special edition rubbish need to be erased, so that we only have the three original movies in their original form. I. for one, despite being a Star Wars fan will not be going to see any of the films that Disney make.

11. profile image0
    zampanoposted 11 years ago

http://www.exoinfo.net/chat/StW_Mickey.JPG
    hehehe
    This is copied from last wednesday edition of "Le canard enchaîné"

12. JKenny profile image91
    JKennyposted 11 years ago

big_smile Maybe Goofy can be Jar Jar's side kick big_smile

13. Drive By Quipper profile image57
    Drive By Quipperposted 11 years ago

I hate Disney. They screwed up my home town. They own the rights to Insane Clown Posse, too. No joke. They were originally released by an affiliate. Disney is the holding company.

http://img.karaoke-lyrics.net/img/artists/40042/insane-clown-posse-271322.jpg

14. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Lucas Skywalker sells out to the empire.

15. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

feel likes Burger King merging with McDonalds. I don't like it.

16. kathleenkat profile image84
    kathleenkatposted 11 years ago

I am quite frankly tired of Disney owning everything.

But I am glad that the 3 new movies will be made.  I hope George Lucas lives to see them.

And I hope Disney does not ruin them.

1. Missy Mac profile image68
      Missy Macposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto for me,  I am glad that more movies will be made.

17. lanablackmoor profile image82
    lanablackmoorposted 11 years ago

If they do reboot the original series, I get the sinking feeling that Zac Efron will be cast as Luke. It seems like it could pretty much go any way, though. I wasn't all that thrilled with how Lucas handled the last three episodes. I'd also be interested in seeing what Joss Whedon could do with the franchise, unlikely though it may be.

18. kingsingh profile image57
    kingsinghposted 11 years ago

I hope that Jar Jar Binks does not make a cameo appreance in the next Star Wars film!! I think that Disney was the best company to buy out the Star Wars franchise and believe that they will put their best resources to give us an enjoyable film. I am excited that they may be brining back Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)