"Obnoxious Facebook pic can wreck your life this quickly"

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago
    1. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

She had two special circumstances. First, she was on a trip with her company. Second, her company is a charitable organization that works with disabled children. Triple whammy! She made the company look terrible when she was traveling on business with that firm. The third problem for her is if she was an "at will" employee. Her lack of judgment took care of that. It was a terrible thing for a grownup do to, but to put it out on the public airwaves was just dumb.

2. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 11 years ago

So what's the big deal? How come 8,000 people are so malevolent as to want to get someone fired for a funny (even though tasteless) pic? Everybody makes mistakes. Fire those 8,000, instead, for ill will.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's a funny picture at all.  It is more than tasteless, it is disrespectful. Not only to our nations heroes that buried in Arlington but also to the hundreds of thousands of visitors that come there to pay their respect.

I have family members buried there and have visited several times and each time it takes my breath away seeing the painstaking levels our country takes to honor our fallen military members dating back to before the civil war and although the first military burial was in 1864, the cemetery holds the remains of soldiers from every war we have been in since the revolution.

I hold no sympathy for the girl in that picture.  I wouldn't rally to get her fired but her poor choice of judgement is in question since it is her job to help disabled people.  Nor would I protest to save her job.  It was a poor choice to pose for that picture as well as to publicly post it onto the worlds largest social network.

1. Haunty profile image73
        Hauntyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just as you, being American, are allowed the sentiment to think of the fallen soldiers of your country as heroes and saints, so should I be allowed to not hold any special respect for anyone just because he died in combat. Those people had reasons of their own to fight in those wars. I venture to say ask any soldier and the last thing he or she will tell you is that he or she became a soldier out of patriotism. Well, maybe some will, but these are the kind of people you might not want your children to make friends with. I agree with everything you said except the idea that the remains of fallen soldiers deserve any more honoring than those of average people. A person does not become better or more honorable when he becomes military. Delusions suck. Feeding them to people sucks even harder.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
          livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps you have patriotism and nationalism confused.  Those patriots you speak of are exactly the kind of people I want my kids to be friends with.  Arlington is the final resting place to more than those military personnel that died in combat. Anyone that served and retired honorably from the military are eligible as well.  There is a whole museum and area dedicated to the women who have served and sacrificed for this country.
          Not being American, I'm sure it is hard for you to understand that we Americans have and always will regard our military to be Above Average, and our fallen military hold a special place in our harts.  Serving the military doses not automatically make one more honorable but those that sacrifice with an entire career of protecting our rights and ensuring our way of living, and those that have given their lives (or had them taken away) do indeed become more honorable than the average guy.
          Is there nothing or no place in your country that you or your countrymen feel the same respect for? If not, what a shame to live in a place where you can not honor and respect those that made the ultimate sacrifice for your way of life.

1. profile image0
            Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

2. Haunty profile image73

I still wouldn't judge an individual based on whether they are part of an organization or not. I think there is much more to a person than this. You are making a huge generalization. Nor would I judge someone based on what the American goverment (or any government) tells me about them.

Yes, we have quite a few national heroes as well, who are no heroes of mine, exactly because I have studied history enough to know better. Maybe your historical archives have been wiped clean of the accounts of the character and personal schemes of George Washington, for instance. So you can put him on a huge pedestal, solely on account of the fact that he was your first President...

Also, I don't live in the Viking age so that I could say - with a clear conscience - that my fallen brethren, who had been no more than pillagers and marauders in their lives, were now true heroes because someone killed them.

3. atechwiz profile image65
    atechwizposted 11 years ago

While I think the picture was poor judgment on her part why would you want to fire someone over something like this?  We as humans make mistake and it takes much more character to forgive someone than it does to act on anger.

4. manlypoetryman profile image83
    manlypoetrymanposted 11 years ago

"Stupid is...as Stupid does. That's all I got to say about th-aat." Forest Gump

http://malu-aina.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/forestgump1.jpeg

5. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 11 years ago

There are sooooooooooo many whys related to this.

Why do it in the first place, but it takes all sorts I suppose and lots of things people do are stupid and offensive. 

Why do it on the company's time?  You were supposed to be working, it was a trip for your service users.  What else were you doing when you were supposed to enabling others?

Why post it on a social network that is snooped on by employers?

Why be surprised when your actions provoke a response?

Why, why, why do people feel the need to post vacuous drivel on the internet?  Except us of course, we're exempt.

1. Haunty profile image73

Amen.

6. Geopeter profile image59
    Geopeterposted 11 years ago

This is correct. Facebook these days are keeping people exposed too much to the public world. One mistake and your life will be in hell.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Lesson to be learned from this: if you're gonna be a dumb ass, don't post proof of your dumb-assery on Facebook where the whole world can see it.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Last year, during the riots in London and other UK cities, some of the looters posted pics of themselves on Facebook, next to their loot. Then they were all surprised when the police beat a path to their doors. D'oh.

I think eventually enough people are going to realise the hard lesson that much of what you say on the interwebs (especially sites like Facebook, where you use your real name) provides a permanent record that can be tapped into by law enforcement, employers and internet bullies alike. By then, the internet will have become a lot more like real life, because (like in real life) people will be keeping their real opinions to themselves and only sharing with those they think they can trust.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Only humans behave with so little regard to the possible consequences.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)