Graduated Apprentice Program

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)
  1. profile image0
    GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years ago

I have been reading the latest forum post on the HP Apprenticeship Program. I actually applied within the first month or so of joining HP. I wasn't accepted due to my newness, I was wondering if HP ever thought about a tiered apprenticeship program, one that might have three layers of growth so that writers could participate in to better their online writing skills from the moment they sign up.

Perhaps the first layer would be the Bronze Star Apprentice and this tier would direct each writer through the logistics of HP. Writers would choose topics and then get immediate feedback, so that they can make the necessary changes to their Hubs. SEO and other information can be disseminated so that newbies can begin to develop an audience. And, depending upon the format of the program, writers could move freely from one level to another or be elevated due to accomplishing the rubrics set out by HP. The second tier or Silver Star could work as the intermediate level in which writers would delve into video making and more complex articles. Again, they would have immediate feedback to improve and refine their Hubs. Finally, the third tier or Gold Star Apprentice would be for those writers who have mastered the skills necessary to advance to the highest level of achievement and writing. And, there could even be a mentoring level, elite (which we already have), etc.

HP could offer incentives, for example a certain $ for tier one, $$ for tier two, $$$ tier three. Contests with the same theme could be offered, too, but be judged on the merits of each level.

I am making this suggestion because there is such a need for feedback plus the need to provide the best content for HP and Google. With rubrics and guidance, I believe that a lot of the questions that are being posted might be minimized, although I am a realist and know that not everyone will agree with this. I believe too that this will open the communication between HP staff and HP writers in a way that might eliminate some of the angst and ill will that I see being posted day after day.

So, for those Hubbers who don't want to participate, they can continue to use the excellent Learning Center videos and articles. I know when I first came in, I studied all the best "elite" writers to see what make their Hubs so successful in conjunction with the Learning Center. It took me many hours of scouring and trial and error to get my articles to produce the effect necessary. I understand this is a process and for those who are serious about making it in online writing, this might help quite a lot of us Hubbers.

The upside, too, is that people will look to HubPages for informative articles--bringing in the possibility for greater revenue and making Google happy. I believe that if we pool our skills and resources, we can make this HP community even better!  Just a thought--Deb

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think that this would be a great idea.   Maybe you should suggest this to the HubPage Team.

1. profile image0
        GoldenThreadPressposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is there some other place to suggest this? I thought this was the correct place to present this idea. --Deb

2. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

GoldenThreadPress, this is a fabulous idea- and something we have been discussing internally for quite some time.

We are in the midst of developing a feature that will provide a rubric and instant feedback to all Hubbers, regardless of their participation in a special program.

We also have plans to scale up the Apprenticeship Program, however our ability to do so is contingent on:
    1. Getting more manpower (we don't have a budget for that at this moment)
    2. Getting tools built that enable Apprenticeship Program Mentors to give feedback more efficiently and therefore take on more Apprenties (we have a bunch of other projects in our backlog, so there's also a wait on this happening)

Rest assured that we DO want to make Apprenticeship Program resources available to more Hubbers, though, and that we are currently working on several initiatives through which Hubbers can get more feedback and guidance on their work.

And thanks for the idea about the tiered program! We hadn't considered taking that approach (though we were considering creating an open equivalent of the now closed program)- now we shall!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)