More proof that religion rots your brain

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 11 years ago

http://wp.me/p2Jz2C-fS

Atheist jailed for "insulting religion," in Egypt.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not really proof of brain rot Mark across the entire span of humanity is it. If it proves anything, it proves that a certain section of Egyptian society interpret atheism as apostasy. Nothing more.

Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The last man jailed in the UK for "blasphemy" was jailed in 1921. Not so terribly long ago. wink

I can cite a few more examples in recent history if you want..... big_smile

1. Any Other Voice profile image59
          Any Other Voiceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is amusing... Mark, you should realize at this point that despite the fact that you can google a few fascinating historical snippets, trying to accuse anyone else of the same traits (much less a whole group of people aka anyone who follows a religion) is illogical, presumptuous, and condescending. I hope you realize how inevitably limited your statement sounds (maybe try reading it again).

Percentages are the ammunition of the public, tolerance is the shield of the wise.

2. profile image0
      AntonOfTheNorthposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Mark,

While we may not agree on some things, on this I support you completely.  Very sad state of affairs.

cheers

2. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 11 years ago

That's not religion. That's politics.

What's the difference?

2. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unforunatley, church/states still exist in this age of information. The Middle East comes to mind and they could do so much better for their country and people if they get out of their Bronze Age mentality.

3. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

From the link...

“We cannot stress enough that this prosecution and sentencing stands against international human rights treaties. Egyptian law has found Saber guilty, not of hate speech of inciting hatred, not of malicious comment against any individual, but simply because his beliefs do not conform to the majority religion. "

3. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 11 years ago

maybe you have a point there

4. safiq ali patel profile image67
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

And the cheerful news is that time rots the body and mind. And eventually the body dies too. Then what if there is no religion. We come to an end. All over and finished. There is nothing after death. Is that what's been said here.

1. Castlepaloma profile image74
      Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Are you coming to the 400th End of the World Party?

I wouldn't miss it, for the world

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Sorry you didn't understand. That was not what this was about - but - yes - we come to an end. Claiming to believe in a religion will not change that. Death is the end, my friend. Death is the end.

1. Castlepaloma profile image74

No one can imagination or have knowledge of an afterlife until they experience it, nor can anyone prove an after life dose not exist. Since nobody can honestly or factually knows, I prefer to feel a little happier with the story of the afterlife in it.

People are untitled to their own personal illusion. When an ancient Religion illusionist  forces their delusion on others and enprision their freedom for it,  then jailed them for 3 years, mmm that is a problem. No one deserves to be jailed for the freedom of an options

But - if you think everything gets taken care of after death it is not an issue - is it?

2. Castlepaloma profile image74

Mark
          You know I am not Religious,  Einstein said that there is no punishment for misdeeds or rewards for good behavior in afterlife

Given atheism, nothing really matters since it’s not going to last. Why bother with religion and its negative effects of personal Gods, please don't imagine me with this group.

What evidence against the afterlife is there? Or any overwhelming evidence in which will always cause doubt. Mark is sounds like some doubt, your over Given atheism, nothing really matters since it’s not going to last. So, again I ask you, why bother with religion and its negative effects? This focus on that doubt will be much greater than mine" I rid myself of my doubts by remembering that there is a valid reason for everything that happens". There is a reason why 90% think or believe in afterlife. We may not know the reason. Afterlife has thoroughly etched on to your belief system that it becomes impossible to think any other way. Banished, doubt we come to a  I agree with, knowing that leads to creative and inspired solutions far beyond what we  can believe or think is possible

Spiritual and physical are not two separate dimensions of reality. I think of spiritual practice as a way of making my life work at a higher level and receiving guidance for handling my problems.  Accessing spiritual solutions means converting my inner thoughts and feelings from discord and disharmony to love

2. profile image54
        whoisitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not going to argue the existence of a God but I would like to know how you know death is the end.

It is a reasonable assertion wouldn't you say? Death is the end of life.

1. profile image54

I don't think death is the end of life, death creates new life.

Death makes way for new life, but the old life is dead. Death is the End my friend.

1. profile image54

Its almost poetry.

2. Castlepaloma profile image74

Can an atheist believe in reincarnation? Is it "plausible?

3. safiq ali patel profile image67
        safiq ali patelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For you mark maybe death is the end. I believe that tha sould goes on and eventually returns home to the almight maker...

What sould is this?

1. profile image0
            Kathryn LJposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  I see you decided to kick the hornets nest again!  However, I'm with you Mark, death is definitely the end.  Some people need to believe otherwise and sometimes that's sad.  Then you put on a thread like this, and it's amusing.

1. aka-dj profile image64
              aka-djposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I suppose you are on of the "fortunate" ones who has seen beyond the grave, to give such a definitive  reply.

Good luck with that.

The great news is, that if you are right, (and I do give you a very small odds that you are), then, we all have absolutely nothing to lose (or fear, for those that do). Therefore, a believer wins either way. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)