Best time to publish study results

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)
  1. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

I just completed a one year study of the best times for me (my time zone) to publish a hub in order to gather the most initial one day views.

I have found that when I publish a hub at 2:30 pm (Florida time/Pacific time) I get the most views in a one day frame.

The reasoning is that at 2:30 pm it is about:
    11:30 am in California,
    12:30 pm in Colorado,
    1:30 pm in Chicago
    same time frame in New York
    8:30 pm in the UK,
    9:30 pm France,
    10:30 pm Germany.

These general geographical areas comprise most of my traffic which includes large parts of Canada since they closely match the same North American time zones for the areas cited before.

I did not take into account India or any parts of Asia although I get a decent amount of traffic from them.

Research also shows that most computer use in Europe occurs after 6 to 8 pm (their time).

I have also compared publishing times with the number of initial one day views and found that when I publish during the morning hours the large majority of my views are from North America, mostly from the same time zone as mine. When I publish at 2:30 pm most of my traffic comes from Europe.

My conclusion is that for me the best opportunity of gathering initial one day visits is at 2:30 pm for my European audience and morning (10:00 am ) for my North American/Canada audience thus I have to be choosy about which market I want to approach or alternatively publish two hubs per day.

Based on this it looks like you should publish, depending on your time zone, at a time when in your desired market people are more likely to be using their computers.

I hope you find this information useful in some way.....................wink

1. AMFredenburg profile image74
      AMFredenburgposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've got to get going and write some hubs -- only one so far -- but I will definitely take this into account and give it a try. Couldn't hurt! Thanks for sharing your year-long research!

2. Jamie Brock profile image91
      Jamie Brockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Luis- this is very interesting..thank you for sharing.

3. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Luis, what I want to understand; are these views organic traffic form search engines and are they immediate, within a 24 hour period? My reason for asking is that, if these views are within Hubpages regardless of location then  it wouldn't matter. Also, if you expect traffic to increase organically by a hub's aging process, then again  publishing time is of no relevance. I can't see the importance of having a one day hit on a hub. The goal is to have organic traffic increasing as the hub ages.

The only way I can associate relevance in publishing times is unless Google or other search engines are involved. Please clarify.

LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Organic initial views 24 hours after the hub is published

2. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 11 years ago

This is a very interesting study. You have proven what I have thought some time ago by just observing the traffic of my hubs. Thanks. BTW, Happy New Year 2013.

3. profile image0
    mts1098posted 11 years ago

very interesting indeed...I also did a 2 year study and found that publishing a hub 7 to 10 days before an event or holiday also produces good traffic results...cheers

4. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

Thank you Luis for sharing this useful information here.

5. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 11 years ago

Thanks Luis. This is good info to note. Happy new 2013.

6. Californialaw profile image60
    Californialawposted 11 years ago

Most people will notice a time or day in the week where they will receive optimum traffic smile I've tried myself straying outside of these times but the flow of traffic can never compete. However I think its also important to note that optimum time and days also vary by industry! =]

7. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Very interesting and helpful, since this could apply to other sites as well. One question: how is "Pending" impacting this? For example, if I publish a hub at 2:30 PM, it won't go live until the next day (or two), and I have no idea what time of day the hub will become visible to outside traffic.

Of coure, it may get lots of views from Hubbers while it's pending, but at that point there are no ads, so that's zero revenue. For that reason it might be better to publish when hubbers are LEAST likely to be on and see it!

LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pending status was taken into account so far as when it first was implemented. Initial views from internal (HP) sources tends to raise the hub score and maximizes the chances of the hub being featured. No income but it gives the hub a head-start.

Assuming that it does take 24 hours or so for the hub to become live to the rest of the world, the results should still be so during the mentioned time zones, except 24 hours after being published. However, if the 24 hour pending period is not adhered to then the results are somewhat eschewed.

Keep in mind that my focus was on organic views not so much on internal ones and based on factors which I could somewhat control.

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image82
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

I have tweaked and made further more in depth analysis of the results.

If you were to pick one specific time zone and publish one hub then for Hubbers in the American Continent the optimal time to publish is the CST zone (Central Standard Time, the yellow portion on the included image) with 1:30 pm appearing to be the best hour.

This appears to offer the best opportunity of gathering initial one day views from the American continent and most of Europe ,even if you take the 24 hour pending period, again assuming that the hub becomes live 24 hours after being published.

I am also about to complete the same study for India, Russia, China and the rest of  Asia as well as Australia and will post results later today after I compile all the numbers or data for you scientists.

BTW: even if you don't agree with the suggestions, they don't work for you or whatever, at least I can honestly say that I had a bit of fun doing it...................................smile

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7534850_f248.jpg

Map courtesy of : http://imageability.com/map_r.html

9. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 11 years ago

This is very interesting. I live in PA so perhaps publishing earlier is better. Maybe that is why some of my old hubs got so successful because I published them in early afternoon rather than at night. Obviously the time you publish a hub is not the only variable that dictates whether or not the hub will be a success, but nonetheless, interesting.

Some hubs I published at like 9:00 PM or later.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)