Calling all HubPages Guru's

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (32 posts)
  1. NotPC profile image57
    NotPCposted 11 years ago

I have done a lot of research about my hubber score and I can't find any glaring reasons to explain why it is so embarrassingly low... I've spent a couple months trying to work it up but haven't made any progress whatsoever. My daily views hover around a thousand and the majority of my hubs are very high quality.

Are there any HP veterans out there that might consider looking through my site to see if they can find anything I'm doing wrong? I would be happy to repay anyone who helps by editing a few of your hubs.

1. tussin profile image58
      tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not a guru and I don't know why your score would be in the 50s considering your account's stats.  All I can say is that as long as you are making money, don't worry about your score. 

Scores are pretty meaningless and even the staff can't offer a compelling reason for keeping them, except that it gives users something meaningless to worry about so they stay engaged on the site longer.

1. NotPC profile image57
        NotPCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess what I'm kinda aiming for is to hit that 75 level so my links change from nofollow to dofollow.

1. tussin profile image58
          tussinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good point.  The only quick, superficial fix I can think if is to start mass un-following people.  From what I've observed, hubber scores go down when you are following too many people compared to how many are following you.

In your case, you actually have about 3 times as many followers as people you are following, which is a good ratio, so I doubt that is an issue.  Nevertheless, cutting down the people you follow might make your score jump. Just throwing out a suggestion.

2. tmbridgeland profile image79
      tmbridgelandposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would say don't worry about it. It took a very long time for mine to gradually creep up, now it is always in the 90s, usually high 90s, sometimes 100. It has no meaning whatsoever as to your skill as a Hub writer. I get a LOT fewer visits than 1000/day. On a good day I make $1 from my Hubs. I bet you are doing a lot better. What seems to affect the score is visiting the Hubs daily, playing around with them, visiting forums, commenting. It seems to me to be more a measure of your activity than of your Hubs.

1. tmbridgeland profile image79

I looked at a few of your Hubs. I wonder it it isn't a style question as well. Some of your Hubs are formatted with very long paragraphs. The Hub on Quakers and Lutherans for example. There are also a few little typos here and there. for example this one :
        'A major role that they play in Native American lives is that the help people. Whether it is an individual is sick, or a community that needs support, the traditions help.'
        I see two typos in two sentences. I honestly don't know if these make a difference. But I used to use long paragraphs, and I have been gradually going back and breaking them down, and going back in a re-editing for typos. I think it adds to the readability of the Hubs.

1. NotPC profile image57

Thanks for taking a look. I definitely need to fix those typos!

3. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not a guru either... but I do read around 200 or so hubs a day.

I picked some of your hubs at random and looked over them... it's not a quality issue. Some of them are a little blocky like tmbridgeland said and a few of the longer ones could use a couple pictures or videos or tables or anything really to break up the text walls. (The performance enhancing drug one in particular is really really text heavy)

I checked your activity and you haven't been psycho-following.

So yeah... I have no idea why your score is low either...

You don't need to edit my hubs smile  I know most of them suck and I'm working on them as we speak.

1. NotPC profile image57

Ya that's what I was thinking too! Well I am looking forward to keeping this topic going for as long as possible. I have sent off an email to the HP staffers and I'll post their reply when it comes as well...

4. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi NotPC, Obviously I'm not a Guru, but it does seem odd to me that you have such a low score, having been here quite awhile, and with the number of Hubs you've published. I just scanned and read a few of your pages. I'm from a newspaper writing background, and the only thing that really stood out for me (aside from some of your Not PC topics) was the amount of grey space in your articles. I was taught (with newspaper layout) that any amount of print larger than a dollar bill should be broken up with subtitles, a photograph, or something to give the eye a rest. There are so many capsules available to do this, maybe 'Hub Hoppers' are dinging you for not using more of these. Other than that if you are getting good views, maybe nothing to worry about. I get hardly any views and my score stays pretty high, although I'm thinking that could change easily as the idled Hubs pile up. I've heard that Hubber scores are soon to be phased out anyway. Hope that helps.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Had I been rating... yeah I probably would have dinged him in organization for the performance drugs hub...  Now his Avengers Alliance Weapons hub is very nicely set up.  (If he could just get the pics a little less pixelated... I know that's hard when you're blowing up from small pics though)...  I don't like links capsules above the fold either but I don't think that would have caused me to lower his rating.

Edit: Wow... I just realized how much I just talked around you NotPC.  I apologize.

1. NotPC profile image57

Could it be a case of my poorly performing hubs being so awful that they drag my hub author score down?

1. snakeslane profile image80
            snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, if that were the case my author score would be dropping fast because most of my Hubs are not 'performing'.

2. tmbridgeland profile image79

It might some. I dumped over 50 Hubs about a month ago, my score did seem to go up a bit. But nothing I have seen on your Hubs that I looked at explains a score under 60. Your Hubs look pretty good, just need a few tweaks.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi:  Just took a quick look and here are my thoughts for you:  1) shorten your titles.  They are waaaayy too long.  Two, get rid of all hubs that mention sex...this a big "no no" on hub pages...read the TOS.  Also, you use a number of repeat words across your titles, Google does not like it when you do that.  Finally, try to be more topic focused...don't just write about everything that comes to mind.  Google is looking for authority, not quantity.  Hope this helps.

1. mattforte profile image90
        mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Talking about sexuality, human trafficking, etc...that is not against the TOS. Her hubs that mention sex are completely fine - unless I'm  missing something.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you're missing something.   Adsense rules regarding "adult topics" are very vague, and HubPages errs very much on the safe side.   

Google's robots can't read context, they can only look for rude words, so HubPages reasoning is that it's best not to use naughty words.  So I've seen Hubs on breast cancer unpublished for using the word "breast", or a Hub about water containers for using the word "butt".   Hubs on Old Masters have been unpublished because of the ban on nudity.

Hubs on sexuality can survive for a long time because the moderators may not notice it, but there is always a risk they'll get unpublished.

1. mattforte profile image90
            mattforteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, all I have to say is this

-------------
            Hubs are not allowed to contain adult content. Below are some examples of prohibited adult content; this should not be interpreted as exhaustive list of what is prohibited. Further, your Hubs must also comply with Google AdSense Program Policy on Adult Content.

The following are not allowed:

Inappropriate language, including excessive profanity
            Content on sexual aids, toys, or enhancements
            Fetish content or content with sexual intent
            Sexually explicit content, including descriptions of sexual acts, tips, or practices
            Nudity and lewd, obscene, or provocative images (including strategically covered nudity, see-through or sheer clothing, and close-ups of breasts, butts, or crotches)
            Or, links to sites that contain any of the above
            Hubs that are produced in a professional style, that use medical terms rather than slang, and that are not attempting to sell dubious treatments or products are more likely to be evaluated favorably. If you are unsure if your content is allowed, please contact us for a clarification before publishing your Hubs.

You should also be aware that advertising may automatically be disabled on potentially adult content, and on content that touches on certain sensitive topic areas.

My Hub was moderated for mature content; what does that mean?
            Mature content includes graphic violent or medical images, videos, or text, and the excessive use of profanity. All hubs must be suitable for a general audience. If you are unsure if your mature themed Hub is ok, please contact us for clarification before publishing your Hub.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

I'm aware of all that.  All I can tell you is what I've seen reported on the forums.  What the rules say and how they are interpreted are not necessarily the same thing.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

All good points.

2. Daniya Sheikh profile image62
    Daniya Sheikhposted 11 years ago

Well I am not an expert on HubPages but you can contact the official Hubpages' authorities on the following contact
    team@hubpages.com

3. NotPC profile image57
    NotPCposted 11 years ago

Ok awesome! I'll definitely have to send them an email. I would still love to get some peer help if any is available. I wouldn't be surprised if HubPages Staff responded by telling me to write better.

4. profile image0
    Anonymous00posted 11 years ago

Based on your account stats I definitely can't see a reason why your score would be low. I can only surmise that the low score may reflect the fact that you are not publishing or participating "as often"  If that is not the case, just continue doing as you always have and I'm sure your stats will increase soon enough.

5. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I remember someone mentioning in the forums a year or two ago that they went through and cleaned out their list of people they follow. They said they unfollowed hubbers who hadn't been around in ages, who had been banned, who had only one or no hubs, etc. and that as a result their score went up.

I would also keep up the posting at least a little in the forums. Also, maybe make a point of reading a few hubs each week and leaving a few comments each week. Maybe the next time you have some general question, go to the search bar here instead of to google and seeing if a hub someone has written can answer your question. I think little things like that will gradually bring up your score. It is definitely worth it to keep it at 75 for dofollow links.

I was going to say do some hub hopping but haven't people said their scores go down after they hub hop? I never hub hop anymore since they changed the hopper.

6. Millionaire Tips profile image91
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Looking at your current activity, you have started following a whole bunch of people.  I also see that you are a level 1 commenter.  This makes it look like you are trying to do things to improve your score, etc.  Trying to game the system will make your score go down. 

Only follow people whose articles are interesting to you, and then actually read some of the articles and comment on them.  If you follow people and don't read any of their hubs, I would think that would lower your score.  If you follow a lot of people in a short amount of time, that will lower your score. 

If you don't participate in the community, I don't think that lowers your score, but I don't think you can get up in the 90s and 100s without going around the forums, answers, other people's hubs, etc.

7. KDeus profile image92
    KDeusposted 11 years ago

As a new hubber, I've found it to help by reading and commenting and sharing hubs, using the hub hopper to hop, answering a few questions - all every day for at least a few minutes. I don't know what the magic combination is, but it seems to be working in my favor especially since I have only a limited number of hubs published yet. Keep trying different things and I'll bet before long, it will go up!

8. kohuether profile image63
    kohuetherposted 11 years ago

I wonder if your profile image rubs people the wrong way. Could this affect hub score?

9. mattforte profile image90
    mattforteposted 11 years ago

Mass following reduces hubber scores.
    We can deduce that you haven't been doing that based on your followers/following (Unless you did a mass follow/unfollow campaign recently that you aren't telling us about, which could actually explain both your hub score and the large amount of followers, but only you know if that is true or not)

Participation increases hubber scores. However, I can't remember when I had a score of less than 90. It was at least a year ago for sure. During this time, I've had periods of inactivity...and I've gone months without writing a hub. So that doesn't explain a dismal score like yours.

Being voted down (I believe) can reduce your hubber score. It certainly affects the score of your hubs.
    I haven't read through your hubs, but based on previous feedback, I'd go trial and error. Fix your formatting, eliminate any spelling errors, and watch your grammar. These can all cause down votes. While doing so, make sure you've got a lot of nice pictures with captions.
    After doing that for a bit, see if your score goes up. If it does...you've got your answer.

The only other thing I can guess is forum activity? I haven't seen any of your posts, but your logo makes me wonder if maybe you're active in the political forums. I don't think getting down votes in the forum can reduce your hubber score (God knows I'm a jackass sometimes and I retain a decent score) but I could be wrong. If you do in fact take part in these forums, try staying away for a while. If people disagree with your opinions, or you get into heated arguments...maybe you're getting down-voted there. Again, I don't think that could cause a lowered hubber score but who knows.

10. mattforte profile image90
    mattforteposted 11 years ago

Oh, and you aren't doing anything black hat are you? Not that I have an issue with black hat myself, but some black hat methods are easily detectable and will get you slapped.

11. moronkee profile image70
    moronkeeposted 11 years ago

Participate more on community forums and update your hubs.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago
  13. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 11 years ago

Hi NotPC, you have been writing here on Hubpages for 2 years, have 75 featured hubs with more than 100K views.  According to tmbridgeland above, "Your hubs look pretty good, just need a few tweaks."

You are popular with more than 1,200 followers.  And, although you have followed 5 hubbers in the last 24 hrs, the total number of your following is low, compared to the number of your followers.

You have been commenting on hubs and answering questions, and although this is the first time I had seen you in the forums, you could be active in other forum threads that I don't read.

So, it is really odd that your hubber score is very low.  My advice is to contact Hubpages to find out what da duck is going on... in a most respectful way, of course.

Happy New Year!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)