Are PROSTITUTES really victims?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (68 posts)
  1. jcv profile image60
    jcvposted 14 years ago

I would like your opinion are they? Because I feel like they only play that rlewhen the cops get there hands on them.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only if they get stiffed!

1. jcv profile image60
        jcvposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree then "pimps" get all the Prison time

1. yeah yeah profile image60
          yeah yeahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

not all hookers are victims. most choose to live that lifestyle and all the glamour that cames along with it, such as: drug addiction, child neglection, verbal/physical abuse. but there is always to sides to every fridging story. when the hooker is under age....YEAH then they are victims of the worst kind
          shot out to my peeps on deathrow (j/K)

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i believe that the only true victims in this world are those who are helpless and incapable of helping themselves, like children, animals or sick, disabled people in nursing homes or mentally ill street people, etc.

1. jcv profile image60

I agree those who are help less

3. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some are, some aren't.

We have cases in London where girls from outside the UK are enticed into a better life. The minute they get here - their passports are seized and they are forced into prostitution with No choice whatsoever.

A bit like that film "Taken". If you've watched it.

1. jcv profile image60

yes i have seen it it was a great movie but i talking about Here in the U.S pimps fall victim at times to these PROSTITUTES

1. hinckles koma profile image59
          hinckles komaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know what i don't respect that job its to easy. people do crazy things for money then find an excuse to back it up so do they. Its a choice they make we all make choices and the ones who don't make a choice and are forced ok that's a victim. love all.

1. profile image54
            Rexx Thnderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We can't let our personal beliefs control our political opinions with regards to other peoples decisions.  The best we can do is to inform someone that prostitution is a bad choice, and inform them them that if it's a choice they want to make, here are all the dangers, and here's how you can make the best of it.  People have a strong urge to tell everyone else how to live their lives, but this is the beginning of the path that leads to some of the most horrific political systems in history.

4. 01sweetlove profile image60
      01sweetloveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder what it would be like if it were taxed like alcohol and cigarettes?

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is where I live apparently! Controlled and taxed.

5. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would anyone think prostitutes are victims?

2. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

Just the ones caught up In human trafficiking . And sad to say there are many of those . However some of them know the risk they run . And sad to say they,re self esteem Is so low they do not think they deserve better.

1. jcv profile image60

Low self esteem???  Maybe with some but most I should say are pretty confident and love what they do for they money cars and clothes

1. tony0724 profile image61
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

High end prostitutes maybe , but the majority of them are standing on a street corner In some major metropolis .

1. jcv profile image60

Is it because they choose to or made

3. hinckles koma profile image59
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

Which ones working or off work? And depends were in the world. Money for sex how do you as a woman feel about that? love all. They are letting themselves be the victims by putting themselves in that situation. Why should i care about their job do they care about mine?

1. jcv profile image60

Here in the U.S> pimps get all the bad rap WHO REALLY choose up the HOE

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i agree.

if they have the wherewithall to get up every day, clean and dress themselves, and make the conscious choice to go out there every day, they are not victims. they are masters of their own fate, unlike an abused child or helpless animal, who have no voice.

1. jcv profile image60

more people should think like you

5. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Victems of they're own poor judgement or of people without a soul. I feel that women that aren't real well educated become victems of men and it goes south from there. This can take the form of drugs, sexual abuse or traficing. Men without morals will use women to a point that it's all they feel they have. Drugs also break down their will to resist and cause them to enter the cycle. Human trafficing is slavery pure and simple, these women do this because they are threatened or their family is.  It's a sad outcome for a human life.

1. jcv profile image60

hOE DO YOU REALLY KNOW  i have a veiw in to the life of many of these women and many interviews they love waht they do and are happy

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok. Then I'm wrong.

1. jcv profile image60

smile

1. profile image48
            danica887posted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's called being brainwashed, not happy.

2. profile image0
        Marc Salyerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's true that many people get involved in prostituion because they have a wild streak. None of them "love" it for long nor are they "happy". As they age (and they get old quick) they live in a state of depression.

Many young men and women in prostitution may act very cavalier about their lifestyle out of a sense of self-defense when confronted. If they say they love the way they live loud enough and cheerfully enough they can convince some that they are happy with the life they live. However that is not to say that they are content in that life or that they willingly entered it. I often council in the local jail and I can tell you first hand that many men and women were abused as children by sadistic adult perverts (often family). Sometimes the abuse becomes prostitution when a father or attending adult sells or shares the child with friends...Drugs help to cover the pain and indignity and It's not a big leap from that life to street prostitution. These people often say they want help but when real help is offered they often retreat or take advantage of immediate assistance and then they're back to the streets.

2. jcv profile image60

Seperating slavery from a"career choice" it becomes harder ton determine the victim vs victimizer.What point does your past abuse provide you immunity from the consequences of your behavior now.

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

jcv - My husband worked in public health for several years when AIDS became an issue in the early 1980s. I once asked him what the average career expectancy of a street hooker was. He said 3 to six years before they became too sick to work. It's my understanding that things haven't changed that much. That can't be a happy lifestyle unless one is very suicidal.

1. jcv profile image60

I have interviews with many call girls from my understanding they love what they do and enjoy there living

7. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

What about those just looking for a "sugar daddy?"  Are these women prostitutes too?

1. jcv profile image60

Its all the same just diff titles

<jcv - do not post duplicate threads>

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope, same title in my opinion!

1. jcv profile image60

No i agree That there is no diff

<jcv - do not post duplicate threads>

2. hinckles koma profile image59
      hinckles komaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

some get paid right away some get paid with karma.  Choices choices choices. The most degrading job for a woman.

8. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

My friend's mom is one. She has been for about 10 years now. She has some drug issues. I have been with my friend when she has gone to see her for various reasons: hit by a car, diagnosed with cancer etc. They don't have a good relationship. I see her sometimes on the street. Its really hard. I feel like she is partially a victim, and partially responsible for the things that have happened to her. But it doesn't really matter, its still difficult.

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

In this Instance not a victim , she Is a volunteer .

9. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.

10. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

a woman has the right to earn a living

1. Andrew0208 profile image57
      Andrew0208posted 14 years agoin reply to this

In this plight?

1. jcv profile image60
        1. jcv profile image60
  11. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

This Stuff does apply to me hmm
    I Only Know how to do stuff Doggy Style lol

12. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

She is living on the street with cancer and a drug addiction. She's sick. I don't think anyone would volunteer for that life. I'm not saying she's completely a victim, but she is definitely not a volunteer.

13. profile image48
    danica887posted 14 years ago

exactly. suicidal because women can't think beyond the paradigm men have created for them or see that their whole reality and existence is controlled by male choices.

choice under oppression is a total illusion.

14. yeah yeah profile image60
    yeah yeahposted 14 years ago

not all hookers are victims. most choose to live that lifestyle and all the glamour that cames along with it, such as: drug addiction, child neglection, verbal/physical abuse. but there is always to sides to every fridging story. when the hooker is under age....YEAH then they are victims of the worst kind
    shot out to my peeps on deathrow (j/K)

-yeah yeah

15. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

My personal observation is that practically all of them make themselves LIABLE to become victims.
    Many of them actually DO become victims.
    Some of them make OTHER people victims.
    And some of them are not victims AT ALL.   They themselves are at fault.
    Among those who actually do become victims I include those forced into adverse circumstances  through no fault of their own. 
    This includes those forced or persuaded into prostitution from a young age.
    When all possibilities and circumstances are seriously considered, I think it becomes difficult to apply a legitimate blanket judgment that covers the entire scope of the issue.

1. UPStar profile image61
      UPStarposted 14 years agoin reply to this

true Lew, true indeed. Well said

16. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

Does anyone here really think that a woman would choose that "profession" if there was any alternative?

I don't.

17. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

They certainly CAN be victims! It depends on whether or not the decision to be a prostitute was made freely of their own accord or if they were forced into it. A good number of women were tricked, forced, or sold into slavery. Isolated and alone, threatened with violence and nowhere to turn they are indeed victims.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right PoppaB. No one really knows how they got into the business.

18. fatfist profile image65
    fatfistposted 14 years ago

Hookers run a business. Men who get STDs and not what they paid for, are the real victims. And there is no money back guarantee.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I could think of one guarantee that would work -abstain wink

1. fatfist profile image65
        fatfistposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you could abstain and get into a relationship instead. Then you buy her diamonds, take her to expensive restaurants and stuff her face, marry her and house her, give her a secure financial future, then divorce her and give her half of your life, and end up supporting her and her new husband for the rest of their natural lives.
        No thanks, hookers are a lot cheaper, more fun, and MUCH better looking!

1. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And here you said something intelligent on another thread.  Oh, well...one of THOSE.  lol

19. UPStar profile image61
    UPStarposted 14 years ago

Sounds like all are victims and all (minus those forced into prostitution)are guilty. People are much more than just what they "do." I suspect many things go into someones decision to sell themselves.

20. gusripper profile image40
    gusripperposted 14 years ago

100 % Yes they are.And there is no excuse that they like the easy money bla bla bla etc.Who do something without to want it is always a victim.

21. Manly Man profile image60
    Manly Manposted 14 years ago

My! A lot of Hubbers apparently are experts on prostitution! smile

1. profile image0

Apparently so! lol.  Actually, I kind of doubt it, wink.  I think they just read a lot of stuff on the internet & possibly watch too many movies.

As Nelle said earlier on this thread, real prostitution is not a pretty thing.

Oh C'mon. The world does not revolve around America. The rest of the world knows that prostitution is just another career and a business. You need to get out some. America is too dumbed down by religious fascism to even know right from wrong. The religious not only want to control the world and its people, but also their thoughts.

1. profile image0

Um, no.  That would not be my point here at all...regardless of how you evidently read that quip I wrote about hookers not having a soul. 

And I disagree about me "needing to get out some."  That states you bare some obvious prejudices which are unwarranted and perhaps are incapable of even grasping where I do come from no matter how well I decide to spell it out.

When your daughter or wife or mother (provided that you do think of them as human beings, not just objects that fill some role) winds up on the street and dies much before her time, as did my high school friend due to a certain life style profession, get back to me.  Or maybe when your Georgian bf relates how a 'hooker' was gang raped in front of him when he was 16 or 17 during the collapse of the Soviet Union and he couldn't do anything about it but it affected him, cerainly, get back to me.  Or when your friend from the Ivory Coast tells you that some of the women (actually, he intimated most of Africa) are so poor that they work as hookers, regardless of spreading AIDS and of being infected by AIDS just so that they can put food in their mouths, get back to me.

I suppose you are thinking about a tiny country in Western Europe, which basically serves like our Nevada with its Chicken Ranch, etc.  Despite some knowledge of religious philosophy, you sound like you lack prerequisite knowledge on ethics and human nature (neither of which have to be tied to fundamental religious beliefs).  I.E., academic knowledge dumbed down.

Wow, yours was an amusing post! You are quite the piece of work Lita. Your emotions in that dissertation speak volumes about you and this issue. Were you or any member of your family perhaps working in this industry in the past? Were you hurt or beaten in any way?  Why are you so hurt?

22. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

We are all victims of our choices.
        We are our own victims
      Even the opportunists of the situation are victims.
      just ask um

1. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The depth. Oh, the depth. Y'all.

23. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

This is one of the most thought provoking hubs I'd read in a long time on Hubpages which relates to this forum topic.

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Myth-of-the-Volunteer-Whore by Pam Grundy

It takes a global look at the victimhood of prostitutes.

1. profile image0

I will read. Thanks, Jewels.

24. Artin2010 profile image66
    Artin2010posted 14 years ago

I believe that they are victims of self and of choosing to be of character that creates negative esteem.Cultural coercion and peer pressure can lead a person into doing things they wouldn't normally do, right.
    If one plays in a mud puddle, one gets dirty and wet!
    In a sense we are all victims of sin, aren't we?
    Interesting topic!

25. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

I can't fathom that any girl who was told she is loved and she is valuable could spread her legs for every disgusting perv that lays money on her bed. Any woman who allows herself to be used like this was never taught her value. Most men think more highly of their dog then they think of a prostitute, yet they will commit the most intimate of acts with her,  making it ugly.

In this sense, I think a prostitute is a victim b/c she doesn't know her worth. We all need to be loved. Would these men want their mothers, sisters or wives to be caught up in this kind of life? It breaks my heart for everyone involved.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)