How much do you care about the existence of a God or not?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Arghness profile image89
    Arghnessposted 11 years ago

I'm curious to get a census-reading of HubPages on whether or not God is a priority or simply an afterthought.  This is not for me to judge you, just from a pure scientific curiosity standpoint.

1. Steven Dison profile image76
      Steven Disonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, to me, the question of whether there's a God or not is definitely more of an afterthought. I suppose I'm an atheist then. I don't like using that word since it seems to have a negative connotation attached to it, but I guess that's what I'd be grouped as.

Arghnessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, and I suppose for -the dreaded atheist- lol, God wouldn't really be much of a thought.  Brady once said, "Which religion you subscribe to....is as important and significant as your favorite color.  Some people REALLY get into the color blue, and I can't for the life of me comprehend that."

1. Steven Dison profile image76
          Steven Disonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha, then I formally create the Color of Orange Ministries! Our offerings to our great God Orange are simply that. Oranges. With his citrus fervor, he deserves nothing less! At least it's better than those cardboard wafers thingys.

Hmmmmm I like the sound of This Color of Orange Ministries!  What must I do to join?!  And just so you know, we've upgraded to miniature pieces of bleached white bread!

2. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For me it is always a forefront matter. I believe in the simple equation that God is Love and Love is God. So there is never doubt that Love exists, and if I view all things through Love I see God every where. With this I can see Joy in sorrow and happiness in loss. Purely scientifically I know that Love makes me a healthier person.

I, myself, share a similar view, though more apologetics are involved, but the core values of seeing external cues such as love to explain the existence of God is something that I can readily subscribe to.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The why ask for answers from a scientific standpoint if you are going to use irrational emotions to make an argument for the existence of this Invisible Super Being?

What does hatred explain the existence of?

Personally - if there is a god, it is clear he left us to our own devices and may as well not exist. I am concerned by how many people insist there is one and they know what he wants.

1. habee profile image93
            habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mark, you sound like Thomas Hardy. Have you ever read his poem, "Channel Firing"? Are you a meliorist?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
              Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No.
              Probably. big_smile

1. profile image0
                Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Although I wouldn't necessarily label you, Mark....that's as close to an adequate description of my perception of your worldview that I've ever seen.

3. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Whether or not there is a God should be the foundational question for everyone, and is of paramount importance.  This question defines a person's belief regarding their origin, purpose, and destiny.  Your conclusion to this question establishes the parameters you will live your life by. 

Atheists, once decided, should be free to merrily live their lives, carefree from the threat of eternal accountability, regardless of what anyone else believes.  I should think once one comes to terms with the concept that their life is just a meaningless, happy accident, and that even their deepest thoughts and firmest convictions are nothing more than random chemical interactions, they should feel quite liberated.

Believers on the other hand, will want to seek out Who God is, what He wants, and what their purpose in this life is. 

Either way, your decision affects your entire life, and perhaps your eternity.

I enjoy the way you tackled this problem and see things from two sides.   Indeed, believing in a God, and in what may happen for all eternity is pretty important (I'm pretty biased on the subject).

But, having been a liberated atheist in years past, I can also say that the liberation comes at a cost.  There is no security in chaos, and since, as you say, everything is a "happy accident", how then can you justify others' actions, or explain evil, or even begin to understand the minute intricacies of this world?  It's like putting an entire bull upon your plate, and being told to eat it.  Not only are many parts of it NOT for consumption, it's simply too big, too complex, and too sublime to just be an accident, a random arrangement of atoms that resulted in what is seen.

So many different viewpoints!  Wonderful.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Just so you know... This is a religion website...

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Scientific? There is nothing scientific or even of any imaginable value to be gained from such a topic (or likely any topic) on a hubpage forum...unless, perhaps you are looking to get responses from life forms not of this earth but some other planets, like way out there - that you will invariably find and you will know them when you see them..

There is science in all manners of life.  Evolution and creation go hand in hand, for me, and science is the backbone of evolution.  Proving or disproving an entity is using the scientific method.  Also, polling data from sentient beings (perhaps some are of other worlds) and using such data to form conclusions based upon predetermined factors is scientific.  So you have me a bit confused.

2. Arghness profile image89

Is it a religion website?

3. midnight1993 profile image60
    midnight1993posted 11 years ago

For me, in a scientific view, God is something that gives people hope and reason. To those who do believe, it is something that gives those a purpose to move on each day. With that purpose in mind, they feel as if nothing could stop them from achieving their goals.

I like how you answered this, you answered it honestly and objectively, as a scientist would, but also added some unverified data at the end as a sort of hypothesis for life.  Thank you for your response smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Why is no one willing to consider labratdom?

I mean seriously.

It is so obvious.

1. tsadjatko profile image65
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

bingo!

2. Arghness profile image89

Well I'm sure someone is willing to do so, but I suppose for some beings, answering a question -- however trivial or biased -- is simply too great a task to accomplish.  I would hope that in subsequent forum topics, such beings would be more ready and willing to participate and not disrupt the flow, as it were.

3. EsmeSanBona profile image95
      EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is this what a labratdom is?

http://www.amazon.com/Lab-Rat-Dom-Kane- … B002JQXCKI

I'd consider it, but I'd I'd have to hear the original before making a decision--this is a remix.  :-)

Consider it, for much could be at stake.

1. EsmeSanBona profile image95
          EsmeSanBonaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How much is at stake?  Is this like that scene in No Country for Old Men?  YIKES!

5. profile image52
    maryke-polleyposted 11 years ago

Romans 1:20
    For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

to me, i know God is not just my number one priority, he is the centre of all i do. and i dont have to prove myself to him to show that im good. God accepted me the day Jesus died on the cross. and i think most people still fear this loving God thats why they are so affraid of moving closer to Him.
    for me its an honor to know i have a Father in heaven to whom i can call out ABBA father! one know knows my heart my being all of me.. so how much do you care about the existence of God?? if there was no God we would not be here to begin with,, smile

I enjoy your enthusiasm in your belief, but I challenge you with the question, since you have decided that God is the creator of existence, how might you go about proving such a thing to a non-believer?  It's a tough thing to ask, but essential for believers to be able to do so, not just by quoting scripture and sharing testimony, but by meeting an atheist or a buddhist or a hindu where they are, on equal terms, and go from there.  I'm interested to see your response.

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I care about the existence of God, but I don't mind if others don't. I think it's a very personal matter.

7. profile image52
    maryke-polleyposted 11 years ago

its all about love my friend. i can say im a christian, but that means nothing if i dont show love live love and represent the walk of Jesus. i dont critizize anyone for what they believe in. but i do know that Gods kindness leads to repentance. and repentance is just a change of mind, from one belief to another.
    so i wont judge them (cause remember i was a person who also knew of something out there but never believed) untill God actually openend my eyes and heart to see him, and all around me to see where he is actively busy in all of us. i dont want to quote scripture as there is many i can quote, but to me its about loving God and loving your neighbour. that means loving everyone and that love will shine and bring forth the aroma of Christ, afterall its my job to catch the fish, but its the holy spirit who cleans them,, smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)