Is it better to write one in depth Hub, or two shorter related Hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. summerclark7387 profile image70
    summerclark7387posted 11 years ago

I'm finishing up a Hub I've been working on for like 4-5 days now, and I realize that I could probably separate it into 2 because it has become more in depth than I thought.  I'm feeling really good about it, and I think it will be a good article, but I wonder if it is becoming too long.  I have noticed that a lot of people do a series of related shorter hubs, and I'm wondering if I should follow suit, but at the same time I wonder if the quality of two hubs would be lacking compared to just one...

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

IMO, one, provide everything the reader is searching for in one location.  I do not count on a viewer to bounce to another article cuz I asked them too.  Just as easy to back out and keep looking.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Agree with RB.  I have only twice separated information into multiple hubs, and both times there is well over 10,000 words between all the hubs on the one topic.  That's too much.

I don't like to go over about 3,000 words, but if I can keep it under that then it's one hub.

3. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll third that! Our official stance is that it's better to go in-depth and put a lot of love into a Hub than to write a bunch of shorter ones.

More on really going for it with Hubs here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

summerclark7387posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Awesome thanks Simone, that was really helpful!  I am definitely going to go back and do some editing.  I've think I've gotten lucky with my few hubs so far, but that is some awesome advise.  It's kind of funny that my I have my 2 year accolade because I am really such a newbie!  Oh well, that's changing now... get used to seeing me around lol! smile

4. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Relache is successful both here and on Squidoo. She said in one of her hubs to stay right on topic. If you go wandering off, it may hurt. I'll give an example. "How to Plant Hostas". Don't go wandering off on hosta diseases. I've got a hub like that, that I need to make into two.

I agree with Simone though. The longer hubs seem to do better if it is on topic.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's an excellent point,too.  Often if you're getting over the 1,000 words, it's worth looking back to make sure you're not trying to cover too many aspects of a topic in one Hub.

5. sharingknowledge profile image72
      sharingknowledgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just picked some Idea from this thread and hoping that it will work for me too. Thanks for all who posted the great information and wish I had many followers. Who wanna?

2. summerclark7387 profile image70

Thank you both for the replies.  I really didn't want to split this hub up, so now I feel much better about it. smile

3. Gail Meyers profile image63
    Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

That was going to be my answer, too.  Also, I think the more substantial hubs may rank better.

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

i'm sure everyone means well with their responses here...however...when i see hubs like these hanging around....it really makes me wonder whether there is really any logic about length, quality, etc...........................................................................
    <snipped>

summerclark7387posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Umm... hmm.  I'm just not sure what to say to that...  Lol well at least I got a laugh out of it.  wink

5. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

I'm going to chime in with a dissenting voice here.

Once upon a time, I would also have said "keep it all together".   In 2011 one very experienced Hubber did some testing and she found that Hubs between 800 - 1,500 words performed best.  If it's longer than that, it's unlikely people will ever read the whole Hub.

However, I've since heard a powerful argument from another seasoned Hubber, who feels that shorter, interlinked Hubs have the potential to do just as well.

Say you split one large Hub into four smaller ones.  You've got three more URL's and three more titles to feature different keywords in.  You're giving yourself three more chances to get noticed by Google.  Given that people can't be bothered scrolling down too far, your work is more likely to get read all the way through.  And the fact that you've written several Hubs on one topic gives the impression that you know your stuff, so readers are more likely to trust you.

There are a few provisos, though.   Each Hub needs to be more than 500 words, and you need to be sure each one is linked to all the others - you might use a highlighted box, for instance.  I don't think two interlinked Hubs would be enough - it needs to be three or four.

6. xionnguyen profile image61
    xionnguyenposted 11 years ago

I would do 2 since human attention span can only concentrate for so long. And I done some research in college that most people will usually skim and scan the pages, unless the topic is interesting. Though my research is only based on those in my college

7. NicoleMessenger profile image61
    NicoleMessengerposted 11 years ago

good luck with your hub. sounds like here you got  some good suggestions.

8. summerclark7387 profile image70

Thanks for all the input everyone!  I decided to keep it as one for now and see how it goes.  Although I may go back and separate it into two if I gather more info to include in it.  Thanks again!

1. profile image55
      mcxniftycallsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If your hub is exceeding 1200 words and topic can be broken, its better to write two related articles of 700-800 words.
      Advice as per my personal experience as a reader and as search engine point of view but Google prefer a lengthy 1250+ article.

9. nikhilchandra profile image76
    nikhilchandraposted 11 years ago

Writing shorter Hubs and Grouping them together using the Group feature is a wiser option then writing say 2000 words article. For example I was trying to write about Top Tiger Reserves in India but only writing about 2 of them took more than 1500 words. Since I was planning to write about 10 I stopped that post and now I am planning to Group them together using a group name Top Tiger Reserves which may give be more weitage in Search Engine as I can target multiple keywords :-)
    From user point of view, it will be easier for them to explore related Hubs under same group. I have done that effectively so for my Train Travel related Hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)