MIchael Bay: Misunderstood genuis of cinema? Or over rated hack?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Okay, here's a forum where I want everyone to be brutally honest about how they feel about Michael Bay.  Is he a misunderstood genius because all his films do make money, yet critics always seem harsh on his films.  OR, is he really just an over rated hack, who represents everything wrong with cinema today? You decide.

1. Fullerman5000 profile image57
      Fullerman5000posted 12 years agoin reply to this

michael bay is not a brilliant film maker. However, he does make great "popcorn" films. He is good at entertaining and making great action films.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I agree with that. I don't think Bay really expects to ever be one those great iconic directors that makes great films like "Gone with the Wind", or anything like that.  I think he just makes movies for the sake of making money because he knows how to market the films visually to the point that even if you hate him, it'll still entice SOMEBODY to see the movie.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
      FatFreddysCatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really liked "The Rock," in fact that's still one of my favorite action flicks of the 90s. What I've seen of his stuff since then has really done nothing for me. I've seen two of the three "Transformers" flicks (for the sake of my nine year old son) and to me, it felt like I was watching someone play an XBox for two and a half hours each time. All I remember of either film is the sounds of lots of metal clanging together and some images of Megan Fox's sweaty cleavage.

1. profile image0

Well at the risk of sounding sexist, I think metal clanging and Megan Fox's body is pretty much what most people remember when it comes to those movies. In fact, when I wrote my review on Bay's second transformers movie, I found a movie poster that read "More explosions.  More robots, and much more....MEGAN FOX!"  lol  Now, that's truth in advertising right there.  lol

Plus, in the third movie, I could not believe the scene introducing Rosie Huntington-Whitley, as Bay practically had the camera right in front of bum the whole time while she was walking in her panties and a button up long sleep shirt.  lol Bay sure is a louse.  lollol

2. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

I guess nobody has anything to say?

3. innersmiff profile image67
    innersmiffposted 12 years ago

He's not really a film maker. He's a music video director with a crude sense of humour.

1. profile image0

Well, it's really a matter of opinion.  To be honest, I don't think he's a great film maker either, and I would argue that he's probably one of the most over rated film makers out there; even though I did like a few of his films like "Armaggedon", "The Rock", and both "Bad Boys" films, but that was only because of the actors involved in each of those films carried it. However, I can see what you're getting at.

But, we have to give credit where credit is due...everything he touches makes money.  Nobody can ever deny that...

1. innersmiff profile image67
        innersmiffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, nobody can deny that. Whether that proves anything is a different matter.

I quite like 'The Rock', I have to say, but it would have been much better without that ridiculous car chase in the middle of the movie.

4. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

3 was 10x better then 1 or 2 freddy. Bay makes action movies and hes great at it. I dont see him making any other kinds of movies so you can say he's a great director!!! Critics are 100% useless they break a movie down way to much! A critic should just say what they thought about the film, how the story was and if they recommend it or not. Like jay-z said "critics can kiss my whole ....."

5. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 11 years ago

anyone else got anything to add?

6. Zelkiiro profile image86
    Zelkiiroposted 11 years ago

No, there is no genius to Michael Bay. His films are garbage, pure and simple, end of story. Terrible cinematography, lousy angles, incoherent storylines, disposable characters, physically painful writing, and those are only his good directorial traits.

Let's not even try to delve into his racism, misogyny, and blind, unintelligible nationalism.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 11 years agoin reply to this

you bring up a good point, but why is it that everything the man is involved in seems make a crap load of money?  I mean almost every film critic and most audiences say his movies are crap, but they still make a lot of money anyway?  Not saying that money is the ultimate factor that determines if a movie is good or not, as some of my favorite films were low budget ones, but there has to be a reason behind Bay's success.

Personally, I'm with you.  I don't think Bay is a great director, but whether you like him or not, you can at least say that he knows who his target audience is, and he knows how to always make films that consistently hit with that demographic.

7. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 11 years ago

He makes what sells.  He's in it for the money, and probably could really give two hoots about what the critics (or moviegoers with taste, like you) think.  He probably knows better, but laughs all the way to the bank.

I have to say it:  moviegoers with taste obviously aren't the majority of moviegoers.  Otherwise, he'd be cryin' all the way to the bank.  People simply want to be entertained when they go to the movies, I guess.

8. torrilynn profile image65
    torrilynnposted 11 years ago

i think that Michael Bay is very creative and knows what we like to see as fans of actions movies or romance. i agree with Paradise7 when he says he problaby doesn't care about what others think as long as people are going to see his movies and he is making money.

1. profile image0

romance?  what romantic films has he done?  I mean i know some of his films have romantic elements mixed into them, but i wouldn't call them romances.  Sure, from what I heard, he did make "Pearl Harbor", which was kind of a love story from what I was told, but did he make any other romances though?

9. torrilynn profile image65
    torrilynnposted 11 years ago

stevennix2001, sorry for the confusion i was speaking of the movie Pearl Harbor and of the movie Transformers i shouldnt have classified those as being romance movies more or so of movies with alot of action with two people that care about each other involved in each movie.

10. profile image0
    The Taco Taggerposted 11 years ago

So apparently Bay is doing a TMNT movie? I don't see how anything he does with this movie is going to be good. Apparently Megan Fox will be April O'Neil so yea, casting is the worst area. I'm sure it'll be garbage, but I'll also probably go see it because I loved TMNT more than Transformers as a kid. Also on the topic of directing career? He's terrible. He plays on old stereotypical tropes and accidentally (or on purpose) makes some of his characters racist. The only movies I've really enjoyed by him are the Bad Boys movies.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I heard about Megan Fox being cast to play April as well.  I have a lot of mixed feelings about that to be honest.  Plus, I'm kind of surprised he wanted to cast her considering she has slandered him publicly by comparing him to Adolf Hitler all the time in various interviews, yet he still texts her, and he casts her for parts like this...

Tends to make me wonder if there's more going on there than meets the eye.... No pun intended.

I think your right that Bay most likely will ruin the turtles based on what I've been reading about the changes so far, but I'll try to keep an open mind upon seeing the film to see how it works out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)